Here We Go Again…

The Dodgers have a penchant for trading for guys with bad attitudes named Ramirez and parlaying that into some sort of “mania.”   Is LA ready for “HanleyMania?”  On May 5, 2102, I wrote this:

I know the Dodgers would love to have David Wright.  He may never hit over 20 HR again, but he’s OPS’ing 1.085.  He would look good in Blue, but I am going to throw out a name that I think is more likely – Hanley Ramirez.  Miami was picked by many to win it all.  They are just not gelling as a team and reportedly have a fractured clubhouse.  Ozzie Guillen is running a zoo and I could see them re-loading an unloading the unhappy Ramirez, who is hitting .198.  Wright is at .395 and getting him would mean that the Dodgers would have to “buy high.”  With Ramirez, they would be buying low.

I fear that Hanley Ramirez would cost the Dodgers Zach Lee and more, but he might just be worth it.  Hanley Ramirez needs a fresh start.  He’s 28 years old and could be one of the best players in baseball.  Put him on a team with Kemp, Ellis’es, Ethier, Hariston, Abreu, Rivera and Gordon and he might bloom.

I still believe that and stand by that.  Hanley Ramirez needed to get out of Florida.  He has been a bad actor, there’s no doubt about that, but with Kemp, Ethier, Hairston and others to mentor him, I think you could she him blow up the rest of the season.  The thing I worry about is that he probably should be a 1B.  He’s adequate at SS, but looks lost at 3B some times – maybe that’s just something he had in Florida due to being supplanted by Jose Reyes.  He’s just 28 and a new start gives him a new lease on life.

Throw in Randy Choate who has been very successful as a situational lefty the past two years and this was a good deal, even if Nate Eovaldi had to go.  Scott McGough was also included in the deal.  I believe that Nate will be a very good pitcher, but you have to give up quality to get it.   OK – I give Ned Colletti and Company a good grade for this deal.  In fact, this could be the best deal ever done by the Dodgers!  Hanley can easily be an MVP-Type Player and with him behind Andre, you are going to see Ethier put up much better numbers as well.

It looks like Ryan Dempster is forcing the Cubs to trade him to the Dodgers… this means the Dodgers can get the deal they want.  I personally don’t have a problem with trading Zach Lee straight up for Dempster, but that’s just because I think Lee will never be a top-of-the-rotation starter, but that’s just my opinion.  You are entitled to disagree… even if I have never been wrong.  ;)

Here’s another deal the Dodgers could make:  Carl Crawford!

The Red Sox are willing to pay a substantial portion of Crawford’s salary.   Crawford would hit .320 in LA without the HR distraction he has in Boston.  Like Badger, I too, liked Crawford, but not at the price Theo Epstein (he’s a genius?) gave him. He’s a leadoff hitter – Period.  However, Theo gave him “middle-of-the-order money.”    He’s a freaking leadoff hitter!

How about a combination of Garrett Gould, Shawn Tolleson, Juan Uribe or Scott Van Slyke for him if Boston pays a big part of his salary (30-40%)  salary?

That would be a great defensive outfield with Crawford in LF.

I dream of this lineup:

1. Kershaw
  2. Dempster
  3. Capuano
  4. Harang
  5. Billingsley
  6. Lilly
(Somebody has to go to the pen)

Above is an image of the Fernando Valenzuela Bobblehead presented by State Farm, unveiled today, that will be given to fans with the first 50,000 tickets on Tuesday, August 21 (7:10 p.m. vs. SF).

98 Responses to “Here We Go Again…”

1. Rob says:

Love the trade, I am glad Ned held out a little while and waited for a low bid trade. I hope dempster or garza will be soon to follow. Crawford would be a great pick up as long as we don’t eat that contract.

2. Rob says:

I forgot to say, give ely a try on friday

3. Bball says:

Well this is a great way to wake up. Go blue

Well, gotta admit, Jed surprised me.

And he isn’t done yet.

The Dodgers have a new personality now. Hopefully, being in an organization like the Dodgers will smooth out HanRam’s edges. By most accounts, he’s kind of an a$$. And Choate was a bonus. His numbers are outstanding this year. Maybe having him around as a role model for Elbert will help too.

Maybe Hanley can now rediscover his 23-26 year old magic. He is only 28. He should have 5 more good years in him.

Dempster and Crawford and I am a happy camper.

5. Jae says:

HanRamMania!

Catch it at a Ravine near you!

Will there be a Hannywoood?

6. RogerCraig says:

Mark, just as you predicted, the Phils extended Cole Hamels. That paves the way for Dempster and Crawford.

• DodgerDude says:

I think Crawford could be had for a song, if the Dodgers were willing to pay at least half of his salary.

Made. Done. I started calling the Ramirez trade the other day . . . coming to LA. And I see in MLB Trades — he is a Dodger.

Thank you. Now, play ball

Dodgers Acquire Hanley Ramirez & Randy Choate
    By Mike Axisa [July 25, 2012 at 1:37am CST]
    The Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez and Randy Choate from the Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi and a minor leaguer, reports Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports (on Twitter). The minor leaguer is right-hander Scott McGough according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, and Dylan Hernandez of The Los Angeles Times says that Miami is not sending any money to the Dodgers (Twitter links).

“We had to do something,” Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). “The machine was sputtering. It’s too good a baseball team and for some reason it didn’t seem to be operating on all cylinders from the beginning of the season.”

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly will determine whether to play Ramirez at shortstop or third base, Rosenthal reports (on Twitter). Ramirez has volunteered to play either position, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). He’s likely to play shortstop until Dee Gordon returns from the disabled list, then move to third base.

McGough, a 22-year-old right-hander, has a 3.88 ERA with 9.1 K/9 and 4.7 BB/9 in 34 relief outings at Class A. The 2011 fifth rounder has averaged more than one strikeout per season since being drafted.

8. Mike Dixon says:

I am beyond ecstatic right now…unbelievable trade…guy is only 28, he still has power obviously, he just isn’t disciplined at the plate right now, and you can blame that on him being a head case….and like Mark says once he sees how Kemp goes about his business dude will follow…Ned gets a lot of crap but he came through……..let’s see how that douchbag Gio spins this trade…..

9. Bobbie17 says:

One hole filled. So many more to go. The best part: didn’t give up much. Dodgers have a lot of Eovaldis. Hopefully this Ramirez won’t wilt in the LA give -a sh..t-attitude that gets a lot of new players. I hope he plays with passion, which this team can’t seem to muster.

I like the deal. I really like Nate Eovaldi but this deal is a no brainer. I believe Hanley will bounce back in a new atmosphere. There is no truth to the rumor he will be forced to wear #99 to rid the Dodgers of the cases of extra merchandise.

I heard last night the Cubs have backed off Lee and have indicated the Dempster can be had for Webster & some change. I like that. I think Dempster (if he performs) will re-sign here too. As a #2 guy I like that deal. Lets do it and ride this out.
    I still think there may be more deals to be had. The Phillies backed themselves in a corner with the Hammel signing. The will have $90+ million locked up in 4 players now. Word is they will have to shed some salary. So Aside from Victorino Pence &/or Lee may be available. What would that take to land one of these guys? I don’t think we have the prospects but clearly if we don’t mind taking on salary so I wonder if that makes us players.
    OK I will take heat for this but: Has anyone seen the numbers Soriano has put up?
    Avg .274 HR 19 RBI 58

Quietly the dude is doing damn good! If we take that ridiculous contract on and stick him in LF….. Does that make Chicago give us Dempster and we keep Webster? Maybe they accept the original offer and kick in a little cash? Imagine Kemp, Ethier, Ramirez, Soriano, & Rivera? That’s not horrible and certainly better than where we are now.
    It’s a good start to trade season

11. Corey says:

AGree with you dromo…..I am wondering if we can’t get soriano thrown in with Dempster if we take all the salary. He has some holes for sure, but It would still be a lot more formidable than what we have in LF. Maybe then we move rivera to 1b….Loney just doesn’t have it. Even last night 2 hits, but he hits into so many double plays I hate seeing him up there with a runner on 1b.

12. Bball says:

I’d try to get pence over Crawford if the price is right.

13. the truth hurts says:

best day of my life….this move had to be made and it sends a message to all of the dodger fans around the world….

the blue crew is back!!!!!!

i fricken love this and thank god new ownership is trying to restore this franchise….

what a day!!!!!!

Hanley would easily have been my #1 trade choice this offseason, the upside is tremendous….the downside…well, i dont care about the downside right now!

Crawford is hurt and will need Tommy John surgery most likely!! Not an option.

Not a big Crawford fan anyway. Hopefully they complete the Dempster trade today.

1) I have been saying Hanley for a while too. Insane talent and with his head on straight (hello Davey Lopes!), that is indeed a murderer’s 3/4/5 now.

2) I also mentioned Soriano before. At the right price he’s a great 6/7 hitter.

3) Are we just making up Carl Crawford rumors, or was there a story linking us to him? I wanted him last year BADLY!! Not at 142 mil, but to me he’s an MVP type. You get him, and all the sudden we’re scary as all hell!! Unless, as noted above, he needs surgery.

4) I had a dream last night (no joke), that I was having lunch with Ryan Dempster and my friends, and I was convincing Dempster that he could be the #2 behind Kersh in a playoff series. Then I woke up and I saw texts saying we got Hanley. Crazy morning!!

5) I also really liked Eovaldi, but you have to give to get, and Eovaldi won’t have a rotation spot once we got Dempster/Garza/whomever

17. ken says:

Big trade. 1 for 2 trade so Kennedy is the MAN for faking an injury :) Ned went and got his LHP for the bullpen. Now can Donnie manage the pen a little better than he has the last month?

Kemp has been through the valley and is on the mountain top now regarding the LA lifestyle. He should be able to tutor Hanram on walking the tight rope called the LA Scene.

Hamel was just using the Dodgers for leverage anyway. As I said months ago you do not want your 1 & 2 starters to both be LHP. Now go get Dempeter for Webster or less.

Pence is an upgrade over Abreu and Rivera but his fielding percentage is poor.

Dromo – Very very funny. Soriano has been on fire since he switched to a lighter bat. Uribe – take note! I have also wanted to get Soriano for awhile but as bad as he ws at 2B, he could never play 1B.

Forget Crawford.

Still enough on the farm to go and get HEADLEY!!! Webster for Dempster, immediately extend Dempster for 2 more years and then trade Lee for Headley. SD would be the laughingstock of MLB if they turned down that trade.

Sad to see Eovaldi go. I predict that with a little coaching and a new pitch selection he will be a #2 somewhere.

6 potential starters. Gee wiz – The Dodgers need a long reliever. Lilly could be held to 3-4 innings per start anyway for the rest of the season and if he pitches well could get back into the rotation for the playoffs!

Remember it is not our money :)

18. ken says:

Now if in the next 3 hours we can just hear that Dempster is pulled from his start in today’s game with the Pirates …….

19. Gonzo says:

Mark, a lot of us had suggested Hanley, you just get the big whiteboard to write on. Anyhow, before many start annointing Ned as the best GM lets look at this trade and how/why it happened.

It wasn’t Ned’s ability to broker trades that made tis trade happen, but Jeffry Loria, who is McCourt 2.0 and probably didn’t have any other suitors willing to eat Hanley’s contract.There is no way that Eovaldi and the other kid get it done with FLA paying some money. Again, this trade fell onto Ned’s lap much like the one for the other Ramirez. I still fire Ned at the end of the season.

Hanley is a very good player and can be a superstar if he wasn’t so full of himself. He will become better in LA because he now has a chip on his shoulder. You don’t think that he has that “I’ll show you” mentality. Even though he’s happy that he got traded I am assuming his ego took a hit and will be on his best behavior and will magicly get better.

If I’m Mattingly, I play Hanley at 3B. I’ll take Luis Cruz over Uribe and the other scrubs that have been playing there. I bat Hanley in the 2 hole for 2-3 weeks so he can regain his stroke and confidence batting in front of Kemp, then I move him to the 5th spot once he regains his mojo.

Personally,I love this trade because it not only helps the organization in the short and long term. If Hanley pans out in LA and is their for another 6-7 years he solves the 1B problem too. Again depending on how everything works out, in a few years he moves across the diamond and takes over the 1B.

PS. Dee Gordon better get his stuff in order, a lot of people including myself have been impressed with the solid play of Cruz.

• Kevin says:

I agree with most of what you say except for hitting Hanley 2nd. No way you move Ellis out of the 2 hole. Hit Hanley 1st or 5th.

20. Gonzo says:

Ken, great idea regarding Headly. And you’re right, SD would be the laughing stock for not doing this trade if it were to come up.

Soriano in LF would be nice.

Now Buster Olney is saying the Cubs will keep Dempster?

That mean we turn to legit #2 pitchers now??? Josh Johnson?? Greinke?? Cliff Lee??? King Felix???

• Jae says:

That’s just the Cubbies posturing!

They will trade him to the Dodgers for what the Dodgers want to deal. Count on it.

22. Mike Dixon says:

So the trade fell into Ned’s lap and Hanley will be moved to first in a few years?..thanks Gonzo for proving again you don’t know what the hell your talking about….

23. Gonzo says:

Mr.DICKson, yes I believe the trade fell into Ned’s lap. Do you think that the A’s would have eaten the contract, or any other team for that matter. And if you would learn to read between the lines that ” if everything works out he could move across the diamond in a few years” would imply that he regains his form and since he is not such a good fielder now, maybe when seager is ready he moves to 1B.

I’m sorry I offended a future GM like you with my post on a blog where people just throw up ideas to start dialogue. You Mr. DICKson just won’t allow yourself to have fun, because this is what this site is for. I still don’t know why you post here since everyone keeps away from you as if you were a leper.

24. Anonymous says:

Like the deal. The Dodgers desperately needed an impact bat, and Hanley is just that. This probably also explains (at least partly) why the Dodgers passed up on Youkilis.

I won’t predict what else might happen between now and the 31st, but I’m guessing the Dodgers aren’t done. Just like the recent international signings, this speaks of a new Dodgers regime that is intent on building a championship caliber team, if only because they have the money and recognize how important it is to build a winner ahead of a new TV deal. A winner will bring in oodles of sponsorship dollars. They’re not spending, they’re investing.

I liked Eovaldi, but as has already been noted, you have to give something to get something. Besides, with the new commitment to spend on amateur talent, the Dodgers are likely to re-build the talent pipeline very quickly.

I don’t have a clue where Hanley will hit, but I suspect that #2 is more likely than #5. It gives Hanley protection with Kemp and Ethier following him, and puts more speed at the top of the lineup. And when Gordon returns, he would likely begin to see even more fastballs with Hanley hitting behind him. And it’s also likely to spur him on to polish his game, and find his way on base more, knowing he’s followed by Ramirez, Kemp and Ethier, and who knows who else if the Dodgers aren’t finished in the trade market.

I’ll let Mattingly make the decisions, since he has a lot more information that I do. At first thought, I would think that Hanley will takeover at 3B, since that’s where he’s likely to end up. No sense, I think, for him to start at shortstop now, only to move to 3B after Dee returns. Besides, Cruz is doing a commendable job for filling in, and is probably the best choice defensively for now. But, again, that’s for Mattingly to decide.

And finally, it will be good to see Hairston returned to the utility role he’s best suited for. Adam Kennedy has actually been hitting better recently, but hard to predict what might be in store for him going forward.

One other thing. If Hanley does end up hitting #2, where does Mark Ellis go in the lineup (#7??????). That’s one reason to believe that Hanley might not hit #2.

25. Mike Dixon says:

That was easy….

The Cubbies are just trying to get back some of the leverage that they lost when Dempster turned down the trade with the Braves and said he wanted to be a Dodger. They know that L.A. needs another starter. This could take a few more days now.

Dempster started today. If he exits early, we’ll know something’s up!! If not, maybe we’ve moved on to better?

28. ken says:

Hopefully Ramirez will get leaner, stretch, do yoga and be the LAD SS for 5 more years. Otherwise, like Gonzo said, he will move to 1B in a few years.

Play Ramirez at SS, alternating Cruz and Hariston at 3B, try to get Headley (who now is overpriced due to huge demand), let Gordon retrain at 2B and try to be a super sub until Ellis’ contract is over, trade for Soriano and Dempster, and hold on for a wild ride.

He gave up a dinger in the 1st inning. This could be a bad move on the part of the Cubbies.

30. ken says:

Batting order with July BA (Still some work to be done)

Hairston .304

Ellis .241

Kemp .341

Ethier .289

Rameriz .179

Rivera .241

Loney .320

Ellis .245

Subs

Treanor .091

Kennedy .342

Cruz .242

Abreu .214

Gwynn .167

Ned – It is ok, you can DFA Uribe when Kennedy comes off the DL!

• Joshua says:

Cruz may not have a great BA, except when there are runners in scoring position BA 0.368 with 10 RBIs in 19 at bats. Also, overall Luis Cruz has the team’s third highest SLG, and 5th highest OPS. He can even steal a base (one). I like Dee, and think he will be good, but I agree with a lot of people, he needs time to mature.

31. DodgerDude says:

Hanley Ramirez will not hit second for the Dodgers unless Mark Ellis is injured. Mark Ellis is a perfect #2 hitter for the Dodgers and has been all season. Hanley will hit #5… when he is healthy.

Anyone know when he will play again?

32. Kevin says:

Rosenthal reporting that we are in talks with Phillies for Victorino and/or Pence. Would love to get Pence in LF.

33. Reggie says:

I like it. I love it. I want some more of it.

I agree than H-Ram will hit 5th!

34. Gonzo says:

I think that Hanley will hit 5th but he’ll be started in the 2 hole. Pence in LF would be sweet. He’s the quirkiest MLB’er I’ve ever seen but gets the job done. Hanley could learn about work ethic from him and kemp.

• Kevin says:

Wrong again Gonzo!

According to truebluela.com…..”Ramirez will bat in the middle of the order for the Dodgers. Mattingly said Matt Kemp will remain batting third, and that it is likely that Ramirez and Andre Ethier will alternate between fourth and fifth depending on matchups.”

I’m getting tired. Need to do a better job of proof-reading before posting. And like Badger, I too pine for an edit/preview button.

36. Rob says:

If we get a bonafide #2 pitcher and pence, we will be true contenders. Victorino would be cheaper and he is one of those guys you hate but would love to have on your team.

37. Gonzo says:

I see what you’re saying Rob, but if we were to get pence he’d be batting 6th. Victorino is a top of the lineup hitter, so I’d think he wouldn’t be a good fit for the team right now.

Watching the PIT and CHI game and have to say that hanrahan is impressive. And to think he could be closing games for LA. Oh well.

• Gionfriddo says:

Hey, you guys just mentioned two rule 5 guys that WERE ours– Victorino and Hanrahan…..crazy, now we might get Victorino back..

38. RogerCraig says:

I like Ken’s idea of getting Chase Headley for Zach Lee. I am also intrigued by Hunter Pence, but it would depend upon the price.

39. Gionfriddo says:

Gonzo, I agree with you, this deal fell into the Neds’ lap while he was adjusting his toupee.. A HUGE thank you to Mark Walter and Stan Kasten for walking the walking thus far ( extending Ethier, Yasiel Puig, and now Han Ram)..The Ned did not out manuever Cashman, Cherington or Amaro.. Just so happened that Walter chose to roll the dice and take on the remaining 40 mill left in Ramirez’s deal in the hopes he flashs back to ’09 and starts mashing the ball again.. Hey, the guys IS a prima dona, so let him go back to SS where he feels most comfortable and let Cruz and Hairston split time @3B… Leadoff? 5th? don’t matter, if Ramirez feels at home HE WILL start producing because he has something to prove to the naysayers.. At any rate, this still seems so surreal to me.. what’s next??

40. the truth hurts says:

I would love Headley as well.

Was just listening to the radio and they were saying the yankees will and should make a big push for him.

Might have to look elsewhere.

Victorino/Pence/Soriano/Morneau

Dempster/Garza/J Johnson

1 of each please!!!!

Hopefully more to come!

41. Bball says:

Any chance Stanton is available. Ooh wee that would be awesome.

Ramirez has little experience in the two hole, and his numbers were not very good there. I think he could do it if that was his role, but I don’t think it will be. Ellis is working fine there, and if we get Victorino, Ellis immediately becomes the second best two hole hitter on the team.

I don’t really care how the deal got done. It got done, and the Dodgers aren’t done dealing. Victorino could play CF and give Kemp a break out there…. so Shane may be a better fit for the Dodgers. Of the two, I’d take Pence, but let’s face it, either one of them makes us better. Not that it may matter, but both are FA’s next year, Pence will probably make more. Right now Pence 10.4, Victorino 9.5.

Fun time being a Dodger fan, isn’t it.

By the way, why would the Phillies want to trade Pence? It can’t be to clear payroll. Why would they sign Hamels for big bucks, and then attempt to trim payroll elsewhere? Unless, of course, they’re planning other things to replace the offense. Lots of variables, so maybe they have a larger plan in mind, and would trade Pence. On the surface, however, I’m wondering why they would even consider it. Victorino I could see them trading, not so much Pence.

Regarding Pence, if memory serves I believe he has a cannon arm. If so, he’d make more sense in RF with Ethier shifting to LF. Maybe the Dodgers wouldn’t want to upset the status quo at this time, but it is something to think about. Of course, the deal probably isn’t happening, so why even think about it.

I could see Hanley hitting #2, but I could also see him hitting #5. Yes, Mark Ellis has done a nice job in the #2 slot, but really, he’s no Hanley. And honestly, with Kemp, Ethier and Hanley hitting back to back to back, I’m wondering if the Dodgers would be playing to just advance a runner an extra base. It has its place, but so does an aggressive approach, and moving runners along more than a base at a time. It just depends on the personnel available.

Also, speaking of lineups is probably a little premature, since we don’t know if this deal is going to be followed up by others upgrading 1B and/or LF. Also, until Gordon gets back, we may even see Mark Ellis leading off. Maybe even Hanley.

44. RogerCraig says:

I hear the Phils want to trade Pence/Victorino and Lee.

Pence is probably due a long term contract. Like I mentioned, he is making 10.4. He has averaged about 3 WAR in 6 years, so, what do you think a guy like that is worth on the open market? Maybe, since he is having an off year (right now .6 WAR) the Phillies feel they don’t want to give him another 10.4. I have no idea what they are thinking, and I haven’t read anything about it either. Maybe they are doing with Pence, what Towers is doing with Upton – just testing the market.

I too think Victorino can be had for cheaper, and like I mentioned, he is actually a good fit here. We still don’t have a lead-off guy,(Hairston?) but after that, Victorino, Kemp, Ethier, Ramirez, Loney (if he can keep his .300 going the rest of the year) Ellis, Ellis … that’s not a bad lineup.

Maybe the Phils would give us Pence and Cliff Lee for Zach Lee and a couple of others, IF the Dodgers took on Lee\’s salary.

47. Rob says:

All of the midget fans up here in northern California are awfully quiet after this trade. They loved Mccheap as an owner but now they know they Dodgers are ready to run the west for a long time!

48. Gonzo says:

How many more produvctive years do you think Lee has left Mark? If a package deal were available from any team, I’d prefer to deal with the cubs for dempster and Soriano as somebody mentioned previously.

49. the truth hurts says:

a lot of activity going on in here today!

I havnt seen this much commotion in here for a longggggg time.

isn’t this great?

50. Win for Vin says:

I like Victorino too…he gets on base, but will he sign with the Dodgers in the winter? Maybe, if he wants to stay close to Hawaii…he could move to Manhattan Beach. What about Josh Johnson? He’d be better than Cliff Lee in my non-player opinion!

Cliff Lee has been throwing fast balls over the middle of the plate this year according to the MBL Network staff I was listening to yesterday. He doesn’t have over powering stuff so if he’s not hitting the corners, he’ll get hit. He’s making 25M per year so I would rather get another pitcher for that kind of money. Dempster didn’t pitch that bad today and he can throw 6-7 innings per game and come a lot cheaper. Pence looks pretty ackward to me at the plate and in the field but would be an upgrade over Rivera. Maybe Justin Moraeau would be a better option and let Bobby and Juan platoon in Left. I saw Hanley doing warmups with the team in St. Louis so he should be in the lineup tonight.

52. Joe says:

I like the deal for Ramirez, I picture him batting 5th to add some power behind Either. Not a huge fan of Dempster, kind of reminds me of Bills with all the talent but unable to perform with any consistency. Won 15 for the fish back in ’01 but with a ERA close to 5. Career ERA is 4.31 although last few years in Chicago have been solid, plus having a good year so far with small sample size compared to the league at this point. If we can get him without giving up alot of talent it probably can work. Pitching in LA certainly can help him.

53. ken says:

July trades are like pistachios, bet you can’t stop at wanting just one.

Dempster just wants an extension worked out before he accepts a trade with LA similar to what his buddy Lilly did before comming over a few years ago. He will say ok on Tuesday!

Giants lost today. Could be the start of a new beginning.

55. ken says:

Youk is hitting .175 in his last 8 games. :)

This board is on fire today!!!!! Love it!!

Hanley playing 3b and batting 5th today. This is great!!

From what I just read on the Dodger website Hanley will be hitting 5th tonight, and Mattingly thinks having him play short makes the most sense. So who’s at 3B tonight? Guessing it’s Hairston.

As I noted before, I can see Hanley hitting at or near the top of the lineup and in the middle. Overall, I don’t really think it makes a difference. I’m just glad to have the extra bat (BIIIIIIIIIG BAT) in the lineup.

Didn’t check today’s scoreboard. Midgets lost? That’s good. Maybe they’re already feeling the heat. Of course, I take nothing for granted. Now that we have Hanley, and hopefully some other additions within the next week, it actually translates into victories on the field.

The addition of Ramirez and maybe others could have more than an effect on the lineup. Assuming it results in more runs, the less likelihood of so many very close games. More offense should take some (maybe a lot) of pressure off the bullpen, and make it less likely they’ll be overworked in the second half. That could turn out to be huge. And if Choate continues to perform well, that also bolsters the pen, gives Mattingly more flexibility against lefthanded hitters, and as with the increased offense, takes some of the workload and pressure off the rest of the pen.

And best of all, the stink of McCourt is finally being palpably expunged.

Oops! Mis-read that article on the Dodgers website. Hanley is starting at 3B tonight, with Mattingly thinking that the scenario he likes best until Gordon returns, is to have Hanley at shortstop.

59. the truth hurts says:

WOW IMPACT IN THE FIRST INNING!

TRIPLE AND A RUN

THIS IS AWESOME

This fan board can take care of itself — what just a daily thread and hungry fans.

OKAY, Dodgers have two new players — left handed relief pitcher and an infielder.

Now the Dodgers need about 5 or 6 more new players . . .

If this is Kemp’s team, when is he going to get some more meaningful hits ???

63. Bball says:

Leave it to roger the Debbie downer. Shut up roger. We’re trying to enjoy a nice day.

64. the truth hurts says:

Mattingly pisses me off sometimes…

why do you leave in Harang going into the 8th when he is over 100 pitches with a tie ballgame….

i dont get it

65. Jae says:

I love it that Donnie stands up for his players and gets tossed. He was bad-mouthing the umpire to his players and got thrown out. Classic!

These guys will rally around that.

66. Reggie says:

The home plate umpire is a $%$#@$&*(*^ joke!

67. Anonymous says:

At least Mattingly doesn’t lay down and grab his ankles like Torre.

68. RogerCraig says:

I remember a couple of years ago that Mark said O-Dog and the Wolfman were not worth arbitration. It seems that O-Dog has now been released and the Brewers want someone to take Randy Wolf off their hands if they will just pay his salary (Here he’s yours).

Not good signings and neither would it be good to sign Dempster long term. Just my opinion.

69. the truth hurts says:

thats why we need a left fielder…..

horrible

70. Anonymous says:

What a long game. I don’t like this at all.

Gwynn could have had the runner at home.

Choke Job!

71. Jae says:

Awful play by Junior.

72. Reggie says:

The man is supposed to be a defensive specialist.

Not tonight. He gave it away.

The Dodgers are one of the worst hitting teams in the league. Ramirez will help, but obviously there are still some holes in that lineup. When Kemp isn’t doing it, it just doesn’t get done. We won’t many when Kemp is 0-5.

That ump was bad. He had a very inconsistent strike zone. And he made a mistake that is taught to every rookie umpire – you NEVER…. let me say that AGAIN… YOU NEVER go after a player or manager. You turn your back and let them blow off steam. If they come after you, you are allowed to stand your ground, but that asshole walked right into the middle of the Dodger huddle and confronted Mattingly, who had his back to him at the time. What a jerk. If you are the one doing the confronting, and he WAS, then the player or manager should be allowed to say anything he wants. These MLB umps really piss me off sometime. I could do a better job than some of these guys and I haven’t umped a game in 15 years.

We need more offense. Problem is, there isn’t a whole lot out there to go get. We are just going to have to get more out of Kemp, Ethier and Loney or this team, as it is currently constructed, will come up short.

Pitching is not the problem — hitting is. Badger is right, the Dodgers need more bats that can hit.

It would appear that pitchers are available. Now the rumors having us in on Josh Johnson and Greinke as well as Dempster and Garza. Looks like Jed is serious about bolstering that staff for the pennant drive.

As we get closer to the 31st, we will see more teams fold on the season and a couple of bats just might become available. I have David Wright on my fantasy team and I can tell you during this latest Mets slide he has been of little help to them. He is 4 for his last 20 with 2 RBI’s. 4 more days of that and the Mets might listen. They only game they have won since July 8th is one in which he had 5 RBI’s. They need young pitching. We have it. He and Ramirez on the left side would be fine with me. Just a thought.

We can’t get it all done in one frantic trade season…. can we? We still need a LFer (that is painfully obvious) a real third baseman and Loney looked bewildered again last night. Personally, what I think he could use is a streak of good luck, but, he may not have that coming karmically.

76. Reggie says:

I still can’t believe how awful the Dodger hitters were last night.

Not new though….

77. Anonymous says:

I’m new to the site and really have enjoyed the banter today. Great place.

1. [...] the original post here: Here We Go Again… Tagged clayton kershaw, deal, dodgers, florida, gave, hanley, james loney, juan uribe, kemp, la [...]