Go Dogs Go

If you are upset that Joe Paterno’s statue was removed at Penn State, just pretend it didn’t happen.  Ignore it.  It will be OK.

Go Dodgers!  Beat the Cards!

36 Responses to “Go Dogs Go”

PSU. I feel for the students, and their athletes. But, that statue of Paterno should be melted down and everyone involved in this coverup should be fired. Shameful.

“Tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. in Indianapolis, the NCAA will reportedly announce how it intends to punish Penn State following its handling of the the Jerry Sandusky scandal. The penalties have been termed “unprecedented” and will be leveled at both the school itself and the football program.

According to Armen Keteyian, a source had “never seen anything like it.”

Things are happening quickly, now.”

Yeah, the NCAA. Now there’s an organization qualified to hand out penalties for something like this. No doubt, given this stage, they will overreact and punish people who had nothing to do with it.

What happened to Uribe yesterday, I thought he was going to carry the team on his back for awhile. Did he poop out so soon???

• RogerCraig says:

Uribe used everything he had on Saturday. Stick a fork in the fat turkey!

I looked into my crystal ball – he has 2 HR’s and 6 RBI’s still left in him. The question is, how many AB’s before we see them? My ball is cloudy on that one.

3. RogerCraig says:

Wow! The NCAA really slammed Penn State. Right move!

4. ken says:

YTD Stats

LAD
    ERA 2nd
    Average 19th
    Fielding 25th

LAA
    ERA 11th
    Average 3rd
    Fielding 15th

Yet they have the same record. Which team has more clutch players?

Only one team at or above a .600 winning pct. – the Yankees at .600
    Remember the good old days before Memorial Day?

7 Day Scrub Report
    Abreu .154
    Uribe .167

Belisario 9.82
    Guerra 9.00
    Tolleson 6.23

Only 5 but they were pretty bad.

Rest the bullpen and bring a true long reliever to the Dodgers.

5. Gonzo says:

I for one am glad the NCAA brought the hammer to PSU. JoePa was more interested in his legacy as a legend rather than doing the right thing. Being a father of a 3 year old and five month old I can’t fathom somebody causing harm to either of my children. I also hope that these people get together and sue the hell out of PSU. I just hopt that the Statute of limitations doesn’t immpede that.

I know that if I was an athlete that had signed to play there thse next four years I’d stay and have my name remembered as one of the young men that helped rebuild and clean that poor excuse of a program.

6. Gionfriddo says:

Dempster to the Braves for a song & a dance= Randall Delgado… Nice work Ned!!

Randall Delgado?

No one would argue that what happened at Penn State was reprehensible. I just wonder why so many who had nothing to do with this have to be punished.

8. Gonzo says:

I see what you’re saying Badger, but I believe the “we win like a team we lose like a team” mantra will come into play. When you have the AD and the University President sweeping this under the rug the institution should held liable don’t you think? The president is the face of the university regardless of how much power JoePa had.

I still believe the punishment was just.

“When you have the AD and the University President sweeping this under the rug the institution should held liable don’t you think?”

I do. The University should have to pay millions to every kid who was violated. They should then have to pay the 60 million to those programs dedicated to helping those violated and seeing this kind of thing is caught before it gets started. Every school official that had a hand in this coverup should pay and pay dearly.

Now let’s talk about the hundreds of athletes that had no idea this was going on and feel sucker punched by this. All those players and coaches having nothing to do with this whose records are obliterated and whose reputations have been damaged. Let’s also talk about the many athletes and coaches who are there now that have no idea what there next move is. Let’s then talk about the community of Happy Valley (ironic don’t you think?) whose economic lives have been torn apart by this decision.

There are many who question the validity and accuracy of the Freeh report. Doesn’t matter now because the damage is done. And it has nothing to do with the justice system. It has to do with the NCAA. I have no idea what would be “right” in this situation. I just don’t trust the NCAA to do it, whatever it might be.

I couldn’t care less about JoePa. He allegedly told his “superiors” then turned his back. Up the chain of command it went, swept under the rug at every turn. Cowards, one and all. Paterno could have, and should have, handled this thing differently. He was, allegedly, told by Spaniers and Penn State authorities that the police would handle it. After all, Joe didn’t “see” anything.

There are a lot of innocent lives on the periphery of this, right down the local businesses and vendors who make a living in that area. This is tragic, on so many levels.

• Corey says:

This is about punishment and not rehabilitation. The University is being punished for not taking the appropriate actions and a statement is being made to deter Penn State and all other institutions from this type of reprehensible behavior. Obviously there are some people who had nothing to do with that behavior that will suffer, but a statement needs to be made and a severe punishment leveled.

Glad we didn’t get Dempster if that was the price. Delgado has been a highly regarded prospect who struggled in his debut this year but this is a steal for the Cubbies and must have meant they were holding out for Zach for the 2 month rent a player. Besides that I read somewhere last week that Dempster was talking about re-signing with Chicago after a trade for the rest of the season. Man that would be salt in the wound wouldn’t it? I think the ATL has enticed him and he’s holding up the deal now to get a new contract from them.I preferred Garza myself anyway[younger with an upside not a downside].

Looks like our $5 million trading chip might be used for Garza. 5M+ for 200 IP of sub 4. His career ERA+ is exactly the same as Billingsley – 108, though Bills has not been over 100 in three years. Garza makes $9.5M and will want an increase on that. He’s consistent, and probably still good for 5 more years.

This is a trade I would do.

11. Gionfriddo says:

Garza is 8 years younger and under team control until ’14. Plus, he is from my alma mater, Fresno St… Go Dogs

• Dave says:

Here, here my fellow Bulldog! Class of ’89 myself. We had a great team back then with Tommy Goodwin, Eddie Zozky, Steve Hosey and some first baseman whose name I can’t remember (probably because he amounted to nothing in the minors despite being highly touted.) Oh, and Vick the Brick and his red jacket on one of the local TV stations (now on sportstalk radio out of L.A.)

- Dave from Thousand Oaks

12. Jae says:

Garza = Billingsley

You won’t be happy

13. Gionfriddo says:

Mark (Jae), trust me, I’ve watched Garza pitch going back to Bulldog stadium days. Yes, his career splits can be seen as on par with Billingsleys (other than the gutless Billingsley has never thrown a no-no in the bigs like Garza has)… The one discernible difference is that Garza pitches with a chip on his shoulder and shows emotion on the bump, unlike Bills whose entire body language changes the minute base runnners are on or he is scored upon… Regardless, we need another solid SP for the stretch and Garza is a good fit.

14. Gonzo says:

You pretty much nailed it Badger. It does suck for those athletes, but unfortunetly for them they played unkowingly under the sandusky umbrella and have been deemed guilty by association. I think those athletes have been given a raw deal but PSU’s PR machine is in full force.

I honestly think that the football team will be supported even more now by the faithful. And from what I’ve read they got a pretty good coach to get them out of this mess. PSU will not suffer the fate of SMU in the 80′s.

Now, back to baseball. I agree that Zach Lee for Dempster was not good for LA in the long run. If dempster has said he’d like to resign with CHI after the season makes me think that their might be a deal between him and the cubbies FO.

As a fan do I want my team to win? HELL YES!! But the realist in me knows that the team is not good enough to win and does not suck enough to lose and get a good draft slot. I still think that the team should sell. A real contender would pay a hefty prize for Bills, so he should be the first in line to go. Face it, he needs a change of scenery and pitching coach. Uribe’s game was a mirage and it’s not due to reappear for another 50 games or so.

-I’m not sold on Dee Gordon

-Offer Bills for a minor league 3B Olt/Castellanos
    -Castellanos needs to be given a shot not a prospect anymore and he’s in his mid to late twenties

-Kasten needs to realize Ned is not the answer and have plan B ready (Pat Gillick, Billy Beane, Dan Evans, Kim Ng, Logan White)

-Magic needs to stop tweeting from his vacatin spots and realize as .00000000000000000000001% owner he needs to follow through with his promise of being involved with the team, even if its just sitting his ass in the owners box (play the part man)

-Make sure to monitor Puig’s progress and develop him correctly so he can contribute ASAP

15. the truth hurts says:

ichiro to the yanks

I was going to make a Bills/Garza comparison too but thought better of it. They would look very much alike if it weren’t for the fact Bills has had inferior years 2 years running. Garza has been much more consistent. I will take his 200+ innings pitched, sub 4 ERA over what Bills has given us. And, if he can’t turn it around and give some quality starts to finish this year, I would try to move him this off season. He makes too much money to keep putting up with his descending WAR figure (currently in negative numbers). As far as I am concerned, he is on probation for the rest of the year. The problem of course is his contract. After a couple of decent years, Jed gives the kid #2 money because he figured on improvement. He didn’t get it.

I would have thought Dempster would re-sign here as well. Garza is a California guy, get him in here.

Got a feeling Colletti is on thin ice. We can do better.

Magic is just a figurehead. He probably won’t show up until things are better, and then he’ll be around just to get some dap.

I would think there are a couple of draft picks that are on the fast track Gonzo, and Puig is one of them. Saeger, Onelki Garcia (had he signed?), and Rodriguez might be others. I think Rodriguez could pitch in the Major Leagues now.

I will go on the limb and say that the Dodgers will have a new third baseman soon, coming from Miami . . .

18. Bball says:

Roger. Just about to post the same thing. The marlins look to be sellers. It would be foolish of the dodgers to at least not try. Make it happen Ned. Do something

19. Gionfriddo says:

Rog & Bball, that would be awesome, but assuming we get Garza for Lee and a lower tier prospect.. Who would the Marlins take back for a player of Han Rams level? For me, the Ned should go ALL in for the Fishs’ two biggest headaches in Ramirez and LoMO.. Ramirez punching the dugout fan and the subsequent infection adds to a long list of faux pas’ he’s had in Miami.. If u have watched the franchise on Showtime, it would seem to me that LoMo and his 10 tweets an hour is wearing on the front office there.. I say Joc Pederson, Gould, Reed, and Alex Santana for Ramirez and LoMO… what the hell, I can dream, rite??

Scroll down a little and get Mike Petriello’s take on Josh Fields (“So, Why Not Josh Fields?”). Pretty much what I’ve been thinking, just better written. Interesting also that Alex Castellanos is being worked at 3B. Maybe not right now, but possibly sometime in the future.

• DodgerDude says:

Yeah, Mike Petriello is pretty much never wrong, except for Carroll, Hairston and a whole bunch of others. ;)

Dude, if you only read stuff you agree with, you will become senile.

Mike Petriello is a good writer, but he’s no better at judging talent that you or me.

I still say, what can Fields hurt?

Is he worse than Uribe? I think not!

He’s not the long-term solution, but why not give him a chance?

Go back and read what Mike Petriello said about the guy who just hit a 3-run homer.

I seem to remember Mark saying several months ago that Castellanos should go to 3B.

21. Bball says:

Same old bills. I hate him so much. They should really shop him. Loney and bills for Hanley any takers

OK Chad baby, 6 innings. Take a seat . . .

23. Jae says:

Are you guys still hating Chaddy?

24. Bball says:

Yes. One good start doesn’t get him out of the shitter. Put 4 or 5 like this together and I’ll start changing my mind. Decent start though I must admit

25. Gionfriddo says:

Who’s the new guy, #58… the guy that battled tonite and didn’t curl up into the fetal position on the mound when he had base runners.. Nice to see him battle through the scorching humidity and give his team a chance to win… hopefully, he will run off a string of quality starts like this one down the stretch…

26. ken says:

This game is still easy when the Dodgers score 5 runs.

I’ve expressed my views about Fields before, and really don’t need Mike Petriello or anybody else to fall back on. I was simply using his post to express what I’ve already expressed on numerous occasions. I may be getting older, but I doubt if I’m the closest to senility.

And for the record, I liked the Carroll and Hairston signings from the beginning, even before they put on Dodger blue. And yes, Fields could be worse than Uribe. And if not, he’s not far behind. And as Petriello pointed out, he’s not on the 40 man roster, which means a player move has to be made to get him to LA.

As for the guy who just hit the 3-run homer, he’s doing a nice job. But how long is that going to last? Ever heard of Elian Herrera? Luis Cruz has the following lifetime minor league slash line. .261/.296/.394, and a lifetime big league slash line of .226/.282/.298. This year with the Dodgers it’s .241/.300/.407. Like I said, he’s done a nice job, but somehow I can’t get excited.

1. [...] the original here: Go Dogs Go Tagged angeles, dodger news, dodgers, happen, ignore, invisible, los angeles, mark timmons, news, [...]