From First to Worst in Under Two Weeks

The Dodger implosion has been nothing short of legendary as they have plummeted from the Penthouse to the Outhouse in less than two weeks.  What a fall by a bunch of marginal major leaguers who have no business of being on a major league field!  Adam Kennedy, take your wheelchair and AARP card and go back to the nursing home.  Juan Uribe, go back to the fat farm where you came from – we can’t stand the sight of you anymore.  Dee Gordon, take your pacifier and bottle back to Single A.  James Loney, grow a pair, you weak-kneed waste of  potential.  That’s a start.  Get rid of the worst offenders and move on.  Bring up FedEx, Castallanos, Sands and Fields.  Get rid of the above 4 non-performing players.  It’s insane to keep running them out there.  Quit it right now!  I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore.

OK, now I’ll tell you how I really feel:  “The Dodgers Suck.”  The hitting coach has to be re-assigned and a new one brought in.  Not that it is Dave Hansen’s fault – sometimes the players just need a different direction.  Look at what happened to the Angels when Mickey Hatcher was fired.  You can’t fire all the players, so you move the coach out.    I like Dave Hansen, so keep him in the organization if you can.

I am going to give you a trade possibility that makes a lot of sense.  My son-in-law and I were talking yesterday and he said that he has been hearing scuttlebutt that Jacoby Elsbury may be trade bait (he’s a big Red Sox fan), because he is going to demand a huge contract soon and the Sox are already paying Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez so much money.  Pedroia is coming up for a big payday and someone is going to be the odd-man-out.  The Red Sox need pitching in a bad way.

I don’t know how much the BoSox would want for Elsbury, but it would probably include Billingsley, Eovaldi, Tolloson and Lee.  Elsbury is on rehab assignment and is due back in a week.  Elsbury can play any outfield position but is faster than Kemp in CF, so a re-alignment with Kemp in RF and Ethier in LF would be in order.  Of course, that leaves holes in the rotation.  Lilly is still a few weeks away.  Ryan Dempster looks like a strong possibility when he comes off the DL and the Phils are not yet ready to throw in the towel on the pennant race, so Hamels is staying put for now.

Hopefully, Clayton Kershaw can hit a HR and pitch a no-hitter tonight – it’s his only chance to win.  Bring your paper bags, everyone!

Dodger Minor League News:

• Old friends Andy LaRoche and Jason Repko combined for 10 RBI’s for Pawtucket in AAA last night.  LaRoche was 4-5 with a 3-Run HR and 3 doubles and Repko was 3-5 with a 2-run HR and a triple.  Hey, I have an idea -bring them both back!
  • Leon Landry was 4-5 at Rancho last night, raising his BA to .326 and CJ Retherford hit his 18th HR and is batting .366.
  • James Baldwin went 2-3 with a  HR for Great Lakes.

P.S. If Carlos Lee is too stupid to want to go to a contender, screw him!

The family and I had a great time at The Head and the Heart Concert in Indy last night.

63 Responses to “From First to Worst in Under Two Weeks”

Mark, I understand that Joe Pepitone is playing in some beer-slo-pitch-softball league in PA — sign him up for 1st base.

And poor Mark — he just can’t figure this team out . . .

Last season, he expected them to be there all season, but some of us said from the get-go they were not a force to be there — and finally by seasons end, he understood.

This season, he kept talking about 130 win season, or something like that, and some of us said they would come down to earth, that there were too many raw fish in the barrel. They were getting all the breaks early, Kemp was out of this world in April . . . now anything over 3 hits a game (for the whole team) is a miracle.

We ALL said, give up new ownership, and things will change . . .

BUT WE ALL FORGOT ONE THING — NED IS STILL THE G.M. — and this is His team on the field. Guys he signed or traded for. Thanks Ned.

Are you sure Ellsbury is going to be 100%? If he is, I would make that trade but I would sure like to keep Lee if at all possible. AND, if Ellsbury isn’t 100%……… give them Billingsley and Landry. Ellsbury only hit .299 in A ball, Landry is over .300. They are almost the same player!

I agree with Rumors that Victorino is more likely a trade target.

James Baldwin also married his yoga instructor. wait…. maybe that was a different Baldwin. There are so many of them.

If it weren’t for the 15 million Utley is owed next year, I would target him. I hear he is healthy, and he is one of the better hitters in the NL. Maybe he would like to finish his career in his home town?

We are going to get somebody at the deadline, then this winter we will get more somebodies. The dead weight on this club will be cleared out quickly.

If Lee turns this deal down, then let him stew in the Houston heat for a last place club. He peaked 5 years ago.

“Dee Gordon, take your pacifier and bottle back to single A”. OK, let’s crucify the kid because he’s got a baby face, and had a little fun with Rod Barajas last year. And, yeah, let’s send him back to A-ball, even though he’s already had success at AA and AAA.

Problem is, is the “what have you done for me lately” attitude that clouds the judgment of fans when evaluating players. I could be totally wrong about Gordon, but I can’t ignore the talent I see, and the knowledge that what he’s going through is not unique in baseball. Then again, I was a huge supporter of Kemp when he was being criticized regularly on this and other blogs, and in the media in general. I’ve brought up other players who struggled early in their careers, and then went on to great success, even stardom. Names like Mike Schmidt, Brandon Phillips, and there’s also Omar Vizquel, who couldn’t his way out of paper bag when he first came up. And remember, those guys weren’t household names when they were rookies.

Badger put it best when he said that this year it’s on the job training for Gordon. Maybe he shouldn’t have opened the season with the Dodgers, and maybe he’s had too much shoved at him at once. But it’s now July, and he’s been up all year, and there are no viable alternatives. Let him play out the year. He might get hot, and at worst, I believe the experience at this level will serve him well going into next year, when he should also be surrounded by a more formidable lineup, and have more of an opportunity to relax and let his talents take over. Adversity is often the best teacher.

And because I believe that Gordon has a great attitude, and is a hard worker, I am confident that he will spend this winter working on his weaknesses, and will probably put on a few pounds and add some muscle. The Gordon we get next year will have the benefit of his experience this year (and the lessons learned), and another year of physical maturity. I also believe the offseason will give him time to reflect I what he has do to turn things around. It’s not always so easy to do that in the midst of the storm.

And for those who would like Starlin Castro, keep this in mind. He has at last look 13 errors, just a bit behind Gordon. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him, but Gordon also. Having Castro and Gordon up the middle (one at SS, the other at 2B) would be great, given that both have exceptional range.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I recall that Ron Cey was hitting somewhere around .220 going into the last month of his rookie year, got hot, ended up at about .250, and the rest is history. I’m sure that there were people then crying for him to be sent out. They just weren’t bloggers in that pre-internet age.

I’ve been a big Sands booster, and I like Castellanos. But Sands has still not gotten hot in the rarified air of the PCL, and ALBQ specifically, and Castellanos’ numbers are PCL/ALBQ numbers, that, quite frankly, cannot be relied upon. So really, it may be worth it to bring them both up, but just don’t get too excited. As for Josh Fields, he has a history of trouble with MLB pitching, and tearing it up in the PCL. He’d be a good call-up for a marginal team that needs warm bodies.

Can’t fire/reassign the hitting coach every time the team goes into a hitting slump, especially given that the Dodgers lineup is makeshift at best. Now is the time to be calm, and avoid knee jerk reactions at all cost. I’m sure that management has a long term plan that just needs time to play out.

The Carlos Lee deal is probably a decent stopgap move, especially since Gould doesn’t appear to be all that great a prospect (although you never know with really young guys). If Lee comes in, I’m guessing that at some point Loney will be moving out. Perhaps the Dodgers are discussing a deal that involves him.

July 31 is still a ways off, so anything might happen. And with an ownership that I believe is committed to winning, both short and long term, I am confident that something is in the works. But I wouldn’t speculate as to what it may be. Elsbury would be nice. Is it possible? I don’t have a clue. And I want nothing to do with Alphonso Soriano.

And I agree with every bad thing said about Uribe.

Agree with Brooklyn on Dee and have said the same thing on several occasions. Our problem is not a rookie shortstop. The kid is working his ass off. Our problem is the Over-the-Hill Gang Jed has surrounded this kid with. It was not that difficult to predict a team with Uribe, Kennedy, Rivera, Gwynn, Mark Ellis, Justin Sellers and whatever 4A player they brought up, would not hit all that well. We have two hitters on this team – Kemp and Ethier with A.J. and Hairston a distant third and fourth on that list. You take Kemp and Ethier out of that lineup and we are toast. Rivera and Abreu are both back-up pinch hitters, Loney is an enigma who is playing his way outta here, Herrera, Sands, Van Slyke, De Jesus, Castellanos are all at best .250 hitters that may or may not eventually be everyday players in this league, but sure as hell are not so now. I said this was going to happen and it has. I am not the least bit surprised by any of this. The only thing I am surprised about is Kemp and Ethier hitting the DL at the same time. Actually, I shouldn’t be surprised by that.

It could be time to just blow this thing up. Keep Kemp and Gordon, and maybe Ethier (how about him to Boston for Ellsbury?) and start all over again with solid pitching. I don’t expect those players mentioned to light it up again like they did at the beginning of the year. That candle done burned out. What you bin seein’ is what you will be seein’ more of for the rest of the year. Our only hope is getting Kemp and Ethier back, plus another middle of the order bat, will ignite something in the rest of that group for a late season surge. I wouldn’t count on it, but it is possible.

5. the truth hurts says:

does my “wake me up in 2013″ still apply?

I do not think a new hitting coach is the answer. These guys are not major league hitters.

I agree with SCREW LEE, how long does the guy need to make a decision? Maybe he is content wrapping up his career in Houston and thinks the Dodgers are not world series bound anyways. Hell, if I was Carlos Lee I would probably think the same. Stop gap anyway.

I would take VICTORINO IN A HEARTBEAT!!

That guy is as scrappy as they come and you wanna talk about heart, get this guy on our team!!!!!!!

6. Gionfriddo says:

Carlos Lee in Astros lineup today…. He’s still “thinking” I would assume.. Stan, inform Ned to move on from this fat, out of shape vet.. He don’t want to move too far from his ranch in Houston ?? Really?? Stay there, El Caballo, entranced on a losing team playing for nothing..

How long does he have to make his decision??

I’m sure Stan must be pissed this guy hasn’t decided already; when does he just rescind the offer and move on to a less obese option?

Mark, I know you’ve been positive about Dee in the past. And I wouldn’t even have a problem if he was sent down to AAA for a while (although I have no idea who would be his replacement at SS). But the “Single A” suggestion is a bit extreme. And if I were to send him down, it would be for him to use the time to reflect on what he needs to do, and work on things in a less pressurized environment (much like I expect him to do this offseason). But under no circumstances does he need to be “smacked”. And I have no problem with him remaining in the Dodgers lineup for the remainder of this season. Again, the experience gained is invaluable, and as I’ve noted before, adversity is a great teacher. If this season doesn’t kill him (and it won’t), he’ll be all that much better for the experience.

Haven’t kept up with Ellsbury, but if he’s still the player that he yous-ta was, then I’m all for it. Same with Victorino, although I know he was never in the same class as Ellsbury. Just depends on the price. If Ethier is in a deal for Ellsbury, then of course, the Dodgers will still need another outfielder. But if part of the objective is to begin re-tooling for next year, it probably works. And although I’m all for doing as much as necessary to stay in the race this year, for me the most important objective is to build a championship caliber team, even if it means sacrificing this year.

If the Dodgers can’t get what they need to be serious World Series contenders for this year, then I’m all for blowing it up and using the winter to fill in whatever gaps the Dodgers currently have in the lineup, and add to our pitching depth. If some of those pieces can be obtained now, all the better.

9. SpokaneBob says:

Tony Gwynn is a great 4th outfielder. Abreu and perhaps Rivera have value off the bench. But we have ridden our bench to the point that they are tired and no longer effective. Our batting order is dramatically more effective with Ellis, Kemp and Ethier in their respective spots, They make Dee Gordon a more effective player. Get this line up back and add a big bat in the fifth spot and we will be ok.

btw Lee is no the right guy.

Maybe the Dodgers have a deal in the works including Loney, and want to complete the Lee deal first. Then again, maybe not. Question is, if Lee is in Houston’s lineup today, and made a decision early enough to get on a plane to LA to make tonight’s game, would he be eligible to play?

Agree with you Bob.

Right now it seems that both Ned and the new ownership simply want to put a more productive lineup on the field ASAP. The Dodgers are still in this thing, as Badger says, because of the pitching.

I suspect that within a few days there will be some move/s to right the ship.

Kemp’s injury/s. This happens, but any reason? I watched him in Houston prior to the two game we saw — and he had a trainer on the field with him in stretching workouts prior to the same. I assume he takes care of himself and all . . . but Kemp has been out a long time. Trust this is not the beginning of continual problems in that area.

12. Gonzo says:

Remember whenKasten said at the beginning of the year that this team was not that good and many people got upset? A little foreshadowing? I think that regardless of the moves the Dodgers make it will not make a difference, not because the players won’t perform but becuase the rest of the league has caught up to and passed them.

If Ellsbury and Pedroia can be had for that package I say do it but how likely is that? I’d prefer to kick the tires on Adrian Gonzalez. It just seems that he hasn’t really taken off there, just my opinion. No to victorino for me. Yeah he hustles and what not but I believe he is on the downward part of his career.

I would sell, starting with billsand other parts to the Yanks for Gary Sanchez and Bichete Jr.

PS rotator cuff surgery sucks!

I have to remind myself — that baseball is in a new age of contracts and a becoming lack of really good players.

Do not think that other teams will trade their stars ——— unless of either bad contracts or their walk year and they want to get something for them. But for a star with an average contract and the player not causing problems, no chance there. (Unless a busting down prospect is blocked and they want the kid and get rid of the major leaguer.)

Lee from Houston really need to go to an America League team — WAIT, Houston will be an American League team next April. He probably should just stay put.

I think the Dodgers best chance for a really nice player/s now — is to overwhelm another team with prospects. It will hurt, but with the record the Dodgers have and can finish with — with some additions — with make the deals worth it.

I am with Brooklyn, Gordon should stay — IF the Dodgers get strong at 3B and 1B. Ellis and Ellis are fine, if a new outfielder can come in. Those 3 upgrades can transform this team. And they know it.

14. Bobbie17 says:

I hate to be a fair weather fan, but…….I’ve almost lost all interest in baseball.
    The team is beyond repair. Play the hand you have and hope that 85 wins will be enough. There is enough blame to go around, but the pitching, starters and bullpen, have faltered too. Harang is average, like ever before. Kershaw could be better.
    Eovaldi should make room for another 3Aer. What pressure on a pitcher to know that a shutout won’t be enough! I’ve seen the 3A teams of the past, and my impression is that the coaches just go through the motions–a foot or two into retirement. I don’t
    know what the players learn there. It doesn’t seem to translate to the big league level.
    How can all of the .300 hitters at 3A be bad? Not one. I don’t expect a Trout, something productive. Bring them all up, let them play, and see what someone can do.

Philly is now gauging interest in Cole Hamels. I say he should be the #1 priority!

Yes we could sign him this offseason for a lot of money, but it will cost us 2 top draft picks. I say instead of losing those picks, let’s lose Lee and Eovaldi (or whatever it costs), NOW, and have Hamels NOW. Those 2 top picks can be used to replace Lee and Eovaldi (or whomever we lose).

Wasn’t Zach Lee supposed to be a top 10 pick that only fell to us because of his interest in a full ride football scholarship at LSU? There are currently a lot of guys his age, or younger, that are higher than he is on most Top 100 lists. The Dbacks have three that are better than Lee, and one that they drafted last year is already with the club. If we can get Hamels now by offering a package with Lee in it, then do it. We can add bats later. The Dodgers are about pitching. If you have it, the bats will come.

I feel your pain Bobbie, but I don’t agree the team is beyond repair. I do agree that if nothing is done, we can mail this season in now. There are too many teams in the league that are better than us. Two of them are in our own division.

If Kemp, Ethier, Lilly and Ellis are 100% when they get back, I think another bat could be enough to compete for a play-off spot. If we can get Hamels, and nobody else, then I do it, extend him, and get ready for a busy off season.

I still have hope for a strong finish. But not with this current group. It won’t happen without some change to this lineup.

• El_Che says:

If we trade for Hammels won’t we have to sign him after the season n still lose draft picks?

Nope. That would violate the Badger Bargaining Agreement.

If we agree to send prospects for Hamels, we own him and if he leaves, we get the draft picks. If stays in Philly and becomes a free agent and we sign him, then Philly gets the draft picks. I will not allow them to get both prospects up front, and then draft picks out the back door.

17. ken says:

Lee:

Family in Houston and quicker flights home to South America
    Cattle Ranch in Houston and South America?
    Taxes – No personal income taxes – Saves at least $500K compared to California
    Houston moving to AL in 2013 – DH in 2013
    LA is a pitchers park and the NL West has better pitching than the NL Central
    2012 is a year to show his worth for a new contract
    Dodger infielders make a lot of throws in the dirt to 1B
    Houston was no worse than the Dodgers in June
    Houston fans like him
    Dodger fans will have buyers remorse and boo when Lee can’t cartch all of the errant throws

He should stay in Houston

If all that is true, why are the Dodgers involved in trade talks with Houston?

• ken says:

OBP – by .006

SLG – by .054

OPS – by .069

2nd worst :)

Caught stealing

Doubles

Regarding draft picks and free agency. First off, no team ever lost two draft picks for signing a type A free agent. In that case, the signing team lost their first round pick (second round if they were among the teams with the 15 worst records the previous year) and the team losing the player also got a second supplemental pick between the first and second rounds. However, I believe that with the new CBA the rules have changed. I don’t think there are Type A and B players anymore, and I’m not sure if the signing team loses any draft picks. Too busy now to look it up, but I’m sure someone will.

Badger, even if there is still draft pick compensation, there is no way that Philly can get prospects and draft picks. If Hamels were traded to the Dodgers and draft pick compensation hasn’t changed, then it would be the DODGERS who get the draft picks if Hamels went through free agency and signed with another team.

So the Dodgers have 2 players on the All-Star team — one was voted in but has not played in two months . . . the other is a pitcher having an average year.

I am shocked that Juan Uribe did not make the Reserves — how could they give it to David Wright???

I am amazed that Adam Kennedy did not make the Reserves — how could they give it to Houston’s Jose Altuve????

I am blown away that Tony Gwynn didn’t make it over CarGo or McCutchen or Stanton or Braun or Bruce????

What is Tony thinking . . .

Somebody mentioned Kyle Seager of the Mariners the other day. How about we expand on that to include Justin Smoak and we have first and third covered with young adaquate bats with upsides. Come on it ain’t rocket science Jed. Doh

I believe that Kershaw has a 2.76 ERA. That is NOT average. His won/lost record highlights the argument of those who put little stock in the number of games a pitcher wins and loses. If the Dodgers scored, and Kershaw pitched exactly the same, his record would be vastly better. And it would appear, that since he won the Cy Young last year, Kershaw has raised the bar in some minds. I haven’t looked lately, but has Cliff Lee with his sub 3.00 ERA won a game yet? The guy is a bum.

Yeah, Kershaw is having an average year. I guess a 2.76 ERA is about average. Oh, I forgot, his record is only 5-4. Now you know why there are people who don’t take won/lost records very seriously. Shows you what can happen when you win the Cy Young. Even a very good year becomes just average. Kershaw is a bum. And so is that guy Cliff Lee in Philly. Last I looked he hadn’t won a game with a sub 3.00 ERA. Has he won any yet? Oh well, just another bum, like Kershaw.

Michael, have you checked out the latest stats for Kyle Seager and Justin Smoak. They’re not exactly tearing it up in Seattle. Maybe they both have vast potential. But the Dodgers have the resources now to add to their talent base, and develop their own corner infielders of the future. In the meantime, adding two rookies playing in less than pressure packed Seattle is not the apparent formula to turn around a franchise struggling to take control of their division. What the Dodgers need are proven impact players who have a reasonable certainty of providing impact for the Dodgers in the coming months. Maybe Seager and Smoak have that, but there’s nothing in their history to tell us that. Any deal is a crap shoot, and bringing on board two young, inexperienced players with potential is a crap shoot personified.

Yeah, I think it’s interesting that one of the highest ranked prospects a few years ago, Smoak, has had such difficulty up in Seattle. He is hitting .200 at home. I know nobody likes to hit up there, but that is ridiculous. I wonder how long Seattle will put up with him. The thing about a trade like that I do like is that both of those guys are on their way up. We haven’t done anything like that in quite some time. Not exactly Jed’s modus o, if you know what I mean.

Cliff Lee is averaging nearly 7 IP per start and has a 1.2 WHIP. I would take him if nobody else wants him.

• Bobby says:

I’d LOVE Cliff Lee. Yes he has a big deal, but I bet we could either get Philly to pay some of it, or give lesser prospects.

He’d be cheaper, both in dollars and in prospects, than Hamels.

I am going to be a little nasty right now –

The situation that the Dodgers find themselves in right now if tough.

Even if Kemp and Ellis had not gone down — the Roster still needed (needs) a great deal of work to build a championship team. Face it, a lot of those early victories this year could have gone the other way. Anyway . . .

As I look at other teams — many of them just keep bringing up players that really fit in and make the adjustment to the majors. Just watched Belt get his 3rd hit in an important game against the Reds.

Catcher – we hoped that AJ Ellis would finally make it. He did, but I call him a very defensive hitter. AJ cannot carry a team like Mike P. did.

1B – we all hoped that James Loney would finally show up as a major leaguer, but he seems to be going backward in his career.

2b – injury. Plug in this guy and that guy.

SS – Dee Gordon seems that he is continually in the learning department. Cannot bunt, goes a week without a hit, does great and then below average in the field. Furcal is having a great year with the Cardinals.

3B – a nightmare.

LF – a bad dream.

CF – Kemp for a month, then nothing.

RF – Ethier has been fine, but lots of pressure on him to be Kemp-Ethier in the same body.

What I am getting at — the Dodger really have nothing in the minors that works hitting and fielding wise.

So it will be trades and signings over the winter to re-tool this team.

Is Logan White and his staff to blame? Yes, low international funds to work with, drafting bunches of pitchers — but this team was not ready April 1 and is in worse shape now.

That ain’t nasty Roger. That’s what I have been saying about this team since Spring Training. The great start was fun, but was also a complete surprise and an aberration.

And you raise a good point about our picks. Why don’t we have guys in the top 50? We have picks in the first round every year, yet, none of them seem to get into the top tier of prospects.

How is Logan White and his staff to blame if they had “low international funds to work with”?

There is only one person to blame for the Dodgers current plight, namely Frank McCourt. He is the reason our large market team acted like a small market franchise. The current owners began with a handicap, mainly they didn’t have an opportunity to re-tool this team during the past offseason. That changes after this season is over. Maybe something will break lose over the next the next several weeks. Maybe not. But whatever happens, it won’t be through lack of effort and resources.

I agree we are where we are with the Major League club because of Frank McCourt. The guy was bad news. But I also have to question why our first round picks don’t seem to be as good as some. When you think about it, who was the last Top 10 prospect on any Top 100 board out there? My only recollection would be Clayton Kershaw, but I could be wrong about that.

Latest by Buster Olney is that Fat Carlos Lee will not waive his no trade clause (or his pass at the home town buffet) and be traded to LA

I won’t cry. Let’s try for a better slimmer player now

Brooklyn,

Saying that Dee should go to Single A is just me being sarcastic. I do think he does need to be spanked and sent down for a few games to help him understand the consequences.

27. Dave says:

Geez. . .give Carlos Lee a break, and be glad he doesn’t want to leave Houston for L.A. He has a no power (anymore) and a no trade clause which he is rightfully exercising in his own best interest. . .thank God. He wants to play in the AL as a DH IF he can and Houston will be in the AL West next year. Hey, since Ned won’t be able to get Encarnacion and Brooklyn wouldn’t okay it anyways, on to Derek Lee. He’s living in L.A. and may even have a ranch here. In the meantime, I’ll go to Disneyland with my family while I’m off this week instead of wasting my money and time taking them to a Dodgers game.

28. RogerCraig says:

Even after an unbelievably bad streak (and it has been horrible), the Dodgers still have one of the best best records in the National Legaue and let me remind you that this bad streak has been without Mark Ellis (who was having a good year), Matt Kemp (MVP) and Andre Ethier (one of the RBI leaders in the NL).

I am going to stop, but I understand why Mark calls some of you morons. You are. Look at the big picture. You negative Dodger bashers are wrong, wrong, wrong. You will see.

29. ken says:

Do you really want to rent a player?

What teams are rebulding?
    What teams know that their season is over?
    What are their needs?
    What do the Dodgers have to give other than CASH?

On July 1st one should only look at the teams that are already done snd look at thier positions players. However, one reason that these teams are done is becasue their position players are not performing very well.

These are the only position players that I would even THINK about this week and they is slim pickens:

Headley SD – 3B
    Pacheco CO – 3B
    Castro Cubs – SS
    Soriano Cubs – LF
    Johnson Astros – 3B
    Rameriz MIL – 3B
    Polanco PHI – 3B

30. the truth hurts says:

we are going to need to send dee gordon to counseling after that fun fiasco……

how embarrassing.

send this kid back down before he gets to the point where he doubts himself the rest of his major league career!

31. ken says:

DFA Kennedy
    Add Cruz to the 40 man roster and bring him to LA to start at SS for a week.

Let Dee Dee go back to hitting, fielding and bunting school for a week.

32. Gionfriddo says:

Good job Kershaw, walking the opposing pitcher leading off an inning.. There’s NO excuse for that– don’t want to hear about his bad arch either, some things are
    Unacceptable when u’r an ace– one of them being walking a .130 hitting SP … Go get Bartlett, Reid Brignac, Paul Janish or any other below avg SS & send Gordon down to get more seasoning and to clear his head.. 17 errors in 80 games?? Offerman-esque …

Guys, Guys –RogerCraig want us to stop bashing the Dodgers.

Also, I might want to go back and re-read all of Mark’s posts because he finally tells us now that sometimes when he says something about the Dodgers – he is being “sarcastic.” Well now, that clears many things up . . .

No more bashing . . . let me see, we are ahead of the Rockies by 12.5 games right now. I know we can beat these guys in the standings by the end of the season. Go Dodgers.

• the truth hurts says:

Roger, I thought Mark was convinced that we were going undefeated the rest of the season a couple weeks ago….

the truth hurts and some people cannot accept the truth

Roger Craig was a marginal pitcher with the Dodgers then manager of the hated gints. Why do we care what he thinks?

Gordon. sheesh.

I am about done with Loney. He is 0 for his last 27. Pretty sure I can do that.

34. Jae says:

I haven’t read all the posts, but does anyone not smoking crack think Kershaw is having a bad year? His ERA is better than it was at this point last year.

Really? Really?

35. DodgerDude says:

I think the Dodgers should show Gordon their confidence in him, and should leave him there at SS. Many of you forget that the Dodgers (like most other teams) have a lot of role players who are best when they are not the offensive focal point. When they are, they become what they are (not that good). Put Ellis, Kemp and Ethier back in there and you have a totally different dynamic for the role players. If you can’t understand that, then you can’t understand anything.

Dodger offense exploding today!!!!!

What’s it say about your corner infielder when, with 2 runners in scoring position, you are hoping he hits a grounder to second base?

And then he does….. and you are relieved.

OK Clayton. A complete game would come in handy.

It’s obvious that I blast the Dodgers when they deserve it. I also stand by my prediction that they will win over 90 games.

Snipe all you want. I’ll remind you in the end!

If you have never watched baseball, you might be downhearted. This is a funny game… Just when you think you have it figured out, you don’t.

This time I am really going to rub your nose in the doo-doo you spew!

;)

I might be more impressed with Dee Gordon today than ever before.

He makes errors on back to back plays, and the entire country is watching his facial expressions on ESPN. He’s forever down 0-2 in the count.

Yet he comes back with hits, with stolen bases, etc. The kid could have left the dugout crying and I wouldn’t have blamed him. Instead he battled and hopefully helps us win this game.

That’s a man’s comeback. This kid will struggle this year, but the pressure is all on him with the rest of the garbage around him in this lineup. He’ll only improve and he’ll be a multiple time all star.

Good for him for responding.

And good for Carlos Lee to say no to us. We don’t want your fat ass anyway. Stay in Houston. We’ll get a real 1b

I don’t want to ever hear another bad word about my man James Loney. A crack double — just when you need it !!!!!!

41. Reggie says:

Loney and Uribe still suck. BIG TIME!

They just do.

We would be better if they were gone.

Man…. talk about winning ugly. 8 unearned runs in this one. Yoiks.

I’ll take it and move on.

1. [...] more here: From First to Worst in Under Two Weeks Tagged bring, dodgers, kershaw, los angeles, players, red, strong. Bookmark the permalink. [...]