Freedom Isn’t Free – Never Forget That!

I’m sure some of you will disagree with what I am about to say, but all you need to know about James Loney took place during the play at the plate in the 7th inning when he scored the go-ahead run.  It turns out that he made the right play in trying to go around the catcher instead of running him over, but James Loney is just too nice.

At 6’4″ and 230 pounds, James Loney is a big guy who routinely drives balls out of the park during batting practice but can’t hit one in the game.  He’s also the guy who doesn’t want to hurt anyone so he tries to go around the catchers’ tag instead of just taking the catcher out.  I know that I would have taken that catcher out with a quickness, but that’s not James’ M.O.  James Loney is a nice guy who is baby soft and not mean enough to play this game.  His new name from here on is Mr. Softee.

Johnny Cueto was really focused last night, and was mowing down the Dodgers until the 7th inning when he started thing about Tony LaRussa’s girlfriend.  Thanks Tony… for sharing!

Chris Capuano didn’t get the win which makes it even more unlikely that he will get to 20, but his ERA is 2.62.  I wonder is the Dodgers will shuffle the rotation the second half and put him behind Kershaw as the Number 2 that he is.

Nate Eovaldi would probably be best served in pitching out of the pen and Lilly won’t be back soon (if at all), so I expect to see Ryan Dempster in Dodger Blue after the All-Star Game.  Nate can take Coffeys’ cup and pitch as the long man in the pen.  Coffey is slated for TJ – Bye Todd, we hardly knew you.

Last night’s win was Junkyard Doggish!

Zach Lee – 3 IP, 7 Hits, 6 ER – Ouch!

Mark Ellis 2-4/Matt Kemp 2-3 with a walk @ Rancho – Eliis could be back as soon as today or tomorrow.   Kemp is chomping at the bit.  Javy Guerra is also ready.  Bring in the re-enforcements.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report 0 7/3/12

Happy Independence Day – Let Freedom Ring!

27 Responses to “Freedom Isn’t Free – Never Forget That!”

CRUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZ

Loney scores. Watched the film. Man he’s slow. But he is hitting .400 with a .900 OPS in the month of July!

I’ll take ‘em wheres I can gets ‘em.

Capuano can still win 20 Mark. He has about 15 starts left. Only needs to win 11 of them.

If we can hold them to 1 run, we have a chance to win.

Think I’ll talk about my wealth for a minute, just for Michael Dixon:

on my way to Walmart this morning. The closest one is 20 miles away, but it’s worth the trip.

The midgets are feeling the heat now!

Zach Lee. I hear he’s a pretty good quarterback. He has only managed 9 IP in two starts at AA. 10 K’s is good. 7 ERA not so good. 12 hits and 3 BB’s not so good.

Dempster huh. Well, he’s a horse. 200 IP 4 years in a row. That might be the reason the 35 year old is only just now throwing off a mound for the first time in about 3 weeks. Injured backs are tricky things. Especially in a guy his age. Perfect Jed signing I would say. One of our old pitchers is on the DL, maybe staying on it, so it makes perfect sense to sign another old pitcher as soon as he gets off the DL.

BJ Upton anyone?

• Mark_Timmons says:

\”Think I’ll talk about my wealth for a minute, just for Michael Dixon.\”

Yeah, I don\’t get that guy. If I said I was going to Wal Mart, he might say I wrote that I was going to kill a group of boy scouts. I mean, he doesn\’t read what people write.

Wal Mart? We have one 4 miles from us. Go there all the time. If you don\’t go, you are wasting a lot of money. The only problem is that in our area, you find a bunch of slack-jawed, booger-eating, obese, stinky morons there too, but it\’s still worth it.

We typically go and stock up on lots of cosmetics and household products and we save a lot of money. I have wealthy friends who would never go there, but I like to talk about my wealth. ;)

I look at it this way…. Walmart is a job creating behemoth. If it weren’t for them, all those kids in China would be on the streets causing trouble.

“The only problem is that in our area, you find a bunch of slack-jawed, booger-eating, obese, stinky morons there too,”

You mean my peeps?

Living in Sedona is beautiful. I am looking out my office window right now at Coffee Pot rock. The wilderness area, that goes pretty much all the way to the Grand Canyon, starts right across the street. But, living here has it’s drawbacks. There is very little infrastructure for anyone but tourists. The Walmart is 20 miles down the road in a little place called Cottonwood. Cottonwood is the real Arizona filled with real Arizonan’s. I’ll let you figure out what that means. It’s a road trip for me unt the mrs. and we make a day of it.

Where’s Gonzo? He said he was going to game on Sunday and I mentioned we should meet up and then he disappears on me. I get that a lot actually.

Happy 4th of July everyone. I’m ready for the reenforcements.

As I recall, James Loney has two different ways he runs.

The old way was kind of up and down. That is, head up, running up and down.

Then several years ago, over the winter, he had running coaches work with him for some more speed. I believe they taught him to run forward, or head leaning forward and he picked up speed, like going from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home.

Not sure what he did last night, but he just made it in.

The ball beat him. He should have been out, but it was a tough bounce and the catcher had trouble with it.

A timely hit from an unlikely source. That has happened more than a few times this year. But I think it’s safe to say it was the pitching that won this game.

Badger, are you sure you want B.J. Upton (actually, you only asked a question, so maybe you don’t).

Maybe you know something I don’t. But based on pure stats, he doesn’t appear to be what the Dodgers need in the outfield.

3 BB’s in 9 innings isn’t bad. Actually, it would be a pretty good average for the entire year.

In reviewing the play at the plate, I think Loney made the right decision. Hanigan was a bit up the line, and Loney had a clear path around him. I don’t think taking out Hanigan as far as he was from the plate would have been a good idea. Loney’s momentum to the plate would have been slowed, and he might have been tagged out, assuming that Hanigan held onto the ball. Pretty hard for Loney to factor in being tripped up in the split second he had to make a decision. All in all I think he made the right play, and may have tried to flatten Hanigan if the latter was closer to and directly in front of the plate. Don’t think Loney qualifies as Mr. Softee, at least on that play.

I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that the Dodgers will opt for the $300,000 buyout of Coffey’s contract next year. So yes, it’s clearly bye bye Mr. Coffey.

Actually, Eovaldi might be good out of the pen. And as I’ve said before, so might Billingsley.

Hopefully the Dodgers continue to hang in. But even with Kemp and Ellis slated to return soon, the disabling of Ethier doesn’t help. Reinforcements from outside are still needed. Guess we’ll know more sometime between now and the trade deadline. Fortunately, both the Giants and Dbacks are capable of slumping themselves. The upcoming four game set against the Dbacks starting tomorrow could tell us a lot, especially since Kemp won’t be back until after that series. Of course, it’s a long season, and lots can happen between now and the end.

Brooklyn, thanks for the site on Upton.

Notice he has played in 886 games with 3249 official ABs and averages .256. That is about 1 out of 4. A total of 96 HRs.

The ABs make it about 6 seasons. Which averages 16 HRs per season.

396 RBIs averages 66 per season.

He is making $7 million this season.

Baseball-reference.com has a listing of “similarity . . . . players?

Mike Davis, Mark Whiten, Gabe Kapler, Oddibe McDowell, Eric Byrnes, Paul Blair, Rick Monday, Willie David, Jim Wynn, Lee Mazzilli, etc.

He was a 2.8 WAR player last year (oWAR of 3.6) at age 26. Having a not so great start this year, but, maybe with a change of scenery, in a division that his brother plays in, could lite him up a bit. I don’t know….. his -dWAR in CF is a concern I suppose. But, he is certainly better than any of the left fielders we have on board. He has great numbers hitting out of the 2 hole (.809 career OPS) Just a thought. I don’t really care one way or another. I would rather have Bourn/Gordon Gordon/Bourn at the top of our lineup. But that might be more difficult to do.

7. Bobbie17 says:

Let’s get 85 wins and take our chances. No one in the league is super. Loney has to
    keep playing, good or bad. Even against lefties. Hit him #8 and keep him there. Last
    night show some spark. Maybe the new shortstop/3baseman. I’m glad Uribe is gone.
    It seems like the whole team lost some weight.

Bobbie17 – I must have missed something — you say Uribe is gone.

I just looked at the Dodger roster of 25 and his name is still there. Have the Dodgers released him?

9. DodgerDude says:

Uribe may not be on the DL, but he is on the FL.*

* Fat List

Is there a 90-day DL? 120 days?

Badger, I like Bourn too. I don’t know his splits, but I would think it could be a problem having the two top guys in the lineup being lefthanded hitters. As currently constituted, with Ethier, that would give the Dodgers three lefthanded hitters in the first four spots of the order. Of course, most pitchers are righthanded, and I guess some lineup shuffling is possible. And maybe between now and the trade deadline the Dodgers will add a potent righthanded hitting bat. But, of course, I am getting ahead of myself, since we don’t have Bourn.

Looks to me that it’s been a while since B.J. Upton put together a good year. He’d definitely improve the outfield defense, and he adds speed, but I don’t see him as the type of impact bat the Dodgers really need. In conjunction with a couple of corner infield replacements, though, and the return of Kemp, Ellis and Ethier, he might work.

Bourn is of course a lead-off hitter mostly, but, hitting in the two hole he has good numbers – .382 OPB and .859 OPS. And I have no problem with two lh hitters at the top of the lineup. He hits lefties ok at .751 OPS click. That’ll work for me. But again, I doubt he leaves Atlanta. Why wouldn’t they re-sign him? He wants $15 mil per, but that doesn’t mean he is going to get it. Upton makes $7 mil this year – what would an extended contract cost for him? Surely not as much as Bourn. I still believe, not exactly sure why, just a hunch, that Upton has his best year in front of him. Just like his brother, the guy has enormous talent. There just has to be a way to get it out of him. I know it isn’t like players come to L.A. to improve their offensive stats but Tropicana Field is as hard on offensive players as Dodger Stadium.

Having said all that, I have no idea what the Dodgers plans might be. Obviously they don’t consult us on moves. 3B, LF (1B) and a starter to fill Lilly’s spot. That’s a lot to ask for in the middle of the year. I would just take what comes our way and then wait to fill the other holes this winter. And that is why a guy like Hamels makes sense to me. We can win the low scoring games, and without those other positions being filled, we are going to have our share of low scoring games.

If we can take this game today we’ll be back in 1st place!! The bay area trash just lost at washington.

I think we should wait to sign Cole as a FA this winter instead of the cost in what a trade would cost.
    Isn’t that a dirty play with the catcher sticking his leg out and tripping Loney. Is it just me or is a payback due?

Mark, James says thanks for the new moniker, worked wonders for Dre

Well that is interesting — Carlos Lee traded to Miami . . . I hope he gets what he wants.

The Asstros just paid $9 million for two minor leaguers that ain’t worth squat. Rasmussen and Matt Dominguez will not help the Astros.

They must have really wanted that chalupa out of the dugout.

14. Jae says:

He wanted a state with no sales tax so he could afford more cheeseburgers and he got it! Pig out Carlos!

What a fearsome lineup the Dodgers keep throwing out there now.

At one point, Kennedy – why the entire ballpark of fans just wait for him to take batting practice.

Van Slyke – we remember his father and keep looking to see when the DNA will kick in.

Herrera – even though he has slipped below .250 he is so much fun to watch, you never know which position he will play each game.

Treanor – his average might be dropping faster than a box of rocks but no one notices because of his beautiful wife.

What bottom of the order lineup that is. Puts fear in the hearts of managers.

And what a group it is. I can’t believe we won tonight. Unbelievable.

17. Gonzo says:

Hey Badger, haven’t posted in a while, had rotator cuff surgery and have been out of it for a while. I am 80% sure on going to the game. How do I get in contact with you?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Gonzo,

I have found that the best way to get in contact with Badger is around the neck!

;)

Mark has my email address and my cell phone number. He choked them both out of men one day at Spring Training.

1. [...] posted here: Freedom Isn’t Free – Never Forget That! Bookmark the permalink. « Meeting With Mattingly Pays Off In Short Term For [...]