Dodgers Top Prospects

I think it’s silly to rank prospects by a number.  Almost everyone has Zach Lee as the Dodgers Number One Prospect.  He’s a decent prospect, but I don’t think he’s a number one.  Even though he started rather poorly this season, I think Allen Webster may ultimately be better than Lee.  How do you rank Corey Seager?  I’m going to have to see him some more.   And then there’s Yasiel Puig – hardly anyone has seen him.  I can’t rank hearsay!

Here is my Dodger TOP 10 Prospects in alphabetical order (that’s the only way I will rank them):

• Alex Castellanos – I believe this guy will be a .280-.290 hitter – he has line-drive ability but not great power – if he makes it, it will be at 2B.
  • Tim Federowicz – This guy is WAY ahead of AJ Ellis at the same age – he will hit enough to be a starter… somewhere.
  • Garrett Gould – Could be a #3, #4 or #5 – that will depend upon his commitment to fitness – he’s somewhat of a Pillsbury dough-boy.
  • Zach Lee – Is he really committed to baseball?  Does he have the fire to be the best?  I don’t think so.
  • Ethan Martin – Still struggling with control, but getting better at times – I don’t see a Greg Miller here – his stuff is #1 Quality.
  • Joc Pederson – He could be the best hitting prospect in the system – he needs to jump to AA next year.
  • Chris Reed  – He can relieve in the majors RIGHT NOW – converting to a starter pushes him back a year – I have no clue if he can do it.
  • Corey Seager  – He looks to be the real deal – In a year, he might be the #1 Prospect.
  • Scott Van Slyke  – I think he’s a late-bloomer and will need another year or two, but he’s a guy that can hit 30 HR while batting .240-.250 – that’s what I see.
  • Allen Webster – This guy is getting better all the time.  I expect to see him in the rotation in 2014 – #2 or 3 is his ceiling.

Honorable Mention:

• Ivan DeJesus, Jr. – Utility player who isn’t as valuable since he doesn’t play SS anymore.
  • Jerry Sands – I’ve never been high on him, although he could still make it.  I hope I’m wrong.
  • Yasil Puig – Who knows.  I have no clue right now.
  • Blake Smith – Might become a very good hitter – he’s 2-3 years away.
  • Shawn Tolleson – I question his toughness, but he has great stuff
  • Alfredio Silverio – I am assuming that he can come back from serious injuries – I am not quitting on him.

Leon Landry, Ryan O’ Sullivan, O’Koyea Dickson,  Aaron Miller. Chris Withrow, Angel Sanchez, Eric Eadington, Mat Magill and maybe even Chris Withrow all have shots as well -just not as likely as the above players.

Stan Kasten says that “Dodger Pride is Back.”

I say it will be back when Juan Uribe, Adam Kennedy and James Loney no longer wear the Blue.

18 Responses to “Dodgers Top Prospects”

1. Rob says:

I just want Uribe to be DFA. How can they keep running this guy out there, he is no better then Valez from last year. At least Velez could pinch run.
    Please don’t trade any prospects for a player we might be able to sign in the off season. We are not a team that can go the distance so why sell the farm for a rental player, ask SF how the Beltran-Wheeler trade worked out for them.

2. the truth hurts says:

not a big fan of Kershaw pitching tonight after the long inning he pitched in the all star game Tuesday on top of the travel to KC…our ace needs more rest then anyone right now.

3. the truth hurts says:

check out the catch Puig makes at the end of this video:

What about 6’3″ 220 pound LH flame thrower Onelki Garcia?

Feelin’ Kinda Blue has a list:

of course two of this year’s draftees immediately pass several of the others in the top 10 list. Seems to happen every year.

Hate to agree on this one, but I think you may be right about Lee. I can’t help but wonder if at this point he wishes he was a BMOC at LSU rather than having to work his ass off just to pitch in AA ball – in front of maybe 8,000. Perhaps he thought this was going to be as easy as American Legion ball? I have no proof of that of course, but, seems to me after all the hype he should have blown batters away at the lower levels. He has not. 1.64 WHIP at Chatanooga. But, he is only 20. Still time to get it together. Still time to become a starting qb at a D-1 school too.

I still have a lot of hope for Leon Landry. He is the kind of player I want to Dodgers to have at the top of the order. Line drive hitting guy with good speed. Say, I wonder if he has had any conversations with Lee about how much fun LSU was?

5. Gionfriddo says:

Blake Smith will be 25 in December.. His time is now.. .286, 10 HR 49 RBI, .373 OBP in Chattanooga.. the kid had 20 HR last yr in only 80 games before a hernia put him out of action… best outfield arm in system; many teams had him as a pitcher coming out of Cal…

6. ken says:

Not much of a prospect pool no matter how you rank them. Result – Not a candidate for a big trade unless you have a really big piggy bank.

Blake Smith. Gotta admit, Iontkno who that is. He’s got an .846 OPS at AA. I say give him his cup of coffee so he can tell his grand-kids about it.

8. ken says:

Hopefully the new Dodger lineup can hit against the Padres pitchers, all of whom have a season ERA below 4.00.

Tha video Mark posted was funny. Did anyone else notice the bad reviews of his company in the background?

A good two weeks good lead to 1-2 players actually wanting to be traded to LA!

• Mark_Timmons says:

It’s actually 1 bad review. The only one we have had. Google has removed it twice and the guy comes back and puts it back up. We have hired someone to find his IP Address which is why we are leaving it up. I did post a response – read it.

He said our people were rude and I said that anyone can pick up the phone and call to see that is a lie.

We think it is a competitor.

“Did anyone else notice the bad reviews of his company in the background?”

Not really.

10. Gionfriddo says:

Uribe in starting lineup tonite!!! Kemp & Ethier are active and in lineup.. Every game down the stretch from here on out with Uribe or Kennedy in it, is LA giving the opposition 4-8 free outs… Aramis Ramirez?? Headley?? Hell, I’d take Mark Reynolds @ this point..

Alfonso Soriano is currently at .273 with 17 and 52. You bet your butt I’d take him in LF and bat him 6th!! Cubs will gladly pay a large portion of his salary, and I think he’s well worth the gamble.

12. El_Che says:

Mark what do u think about James Baldwin he’s really struggling in low a but IF he can put it together I think he has the best potential then anyone else in our system.I think he has 30 something steals with a 200 on base %.

• Bobby says:

Last year I heard/read either Logan White or DeJuan Watson say that they’re “Matt Kemp-excited” about James Baldwin’s potential.

That sold me!

1. [...] original here: Dodgers Top Prospects Tagged clue, dodgers, dodgers blog, don, guy, los angeles, mark timmons, puig, rank, seager, [...]