Categorized | David Caldwell

Calm Before the Storm

Hey there everyone!

Mark has granted me the privilege to post on my personal favorite Dodger blog, so I will try to do my best to keep the blue conversation going.  Most of you probably know me as “the truth hurts” or years ago when I would post under the name “LAdodgerdave”.  My real name is David Caldwell and I guess the name change to “the truth hurts” came after years and years of bad seasons and the pessimist in me being unleashed.  I am a horrible writer so here we go…..

My Dodger obsession began when I was introduced to the boys in blue by my grandfather who was a longtime Brooklyn Dodgers fan who continued to follow them when they moved out west.  I was probably 8 years old and like Mark, wrote a letter to the Dodgers expressing how big of a fan I was and they sent me a box of goodies that as a young aspiring Dodger fan, I have never looked back.  I am from Fairfax,Virginia and currently reside in  Jacksonville, Florida.  My grandfather passed two years ago today and we never got to witness a World Series together.  So, I guess the Dodgers owe me one. (I was 5 years old in 1988)

Anyways, enough about me.

There’s a storm a brewin, and I think we all know where it will touch down.  It is time to man up, roll up the sleeves, and take off the training wheels.

I think the boys in blue go into AT&T and sweep the Giants.  Yes, I said it. It’s time for Kemp, Ethier, and HanRam to make a statement in this division.

• Dodgers 3rd in pitching, Giants 5th
  • Dodgers 26th in batting, Giants 22nd

This team can’t hit, has lost its identity, and just got scorched inSaint Louis (literally).  The Hanley welcoming party did not go as planned so what better way to prove we belong then to take it to Matt Cain Friday night?

Do you believe?

50 Responses to “Calm Before the Storm”

1. Rob says:

I like the fire in this!! Stay positive and good things will happen. Let’s go out and claim the west back from the midgets.

2. Reggie says:

Go Dodgers! Man UP!

Welcome aboard David C. Hopefully we will turn it around in Frisco.

atta boy truth! Way to step up.

I think we should just go ahead and take Crawford from the Red Sox. They don’t want him anymore. Let’s give him a home.

That’s all I got. Haven’t had coffee yet.

5. Jae says:

Crawford would solve 2 problems (assuming he is healthy):

1. Great Defense in LF; and
    2. Leadoff Hitter.

I’ll bet the Sox would pay a lot of his salary.

• Gionfriddo says:

Crawford was sent by the BoSox to get eyes checked due to his struggles since coming back from the DL …. .219 start… NO to Crawford—- BIG NO

6. Gonzo says:

Crawford can’t throw guys. It’s been reported that he needs TJ surgery but is reluctant. A 100% healthy Crawford and I’m on board, but he does not want to go under the knife heap jeopardizing part or all of next season.

Can he still hit and run?

Throwing from left field is overrated. I proved this once in a test I did with my athletes back in the 80′s. I won’t go into details, but the idea of the drill was to get the ball from the fence quickly to the cut-off, the SS (who usually has the best most accurate arm) and deliver it to home plate accurately. Many outfielders in the Majors have horribly inaccurate arms. How many times have you seen a throw to home (or third) bounce off target? You see it every night. If the outfielder can get the ball quickly to his cut-off who turns and fires a strike to the catcher, you have a much better chance of preventing that run. If relays are done properly, which they seldom are at the big league level (just another one of my peeves) you can make a play now and then.

Having said all that, I have no idea how serious his arm is, but if he needs surgery, give it to him now and let him know the job is his starting in summer of ’13. He will be 31 this August. I think it’s worth looking into.

8. RogerCraig says:

If Crawford needs TJ, it will only hurt his throwing. Plenty of position players have played well with the same situation. He can get it in the off-season.

Just checked his stats and he is sinking fast. Is it because of pain in his arm? I have no idea. But he is the kind of athlete I would like to see more of in a Dodger uniform. I hope the team is doing due diligence on this one.

Could be a furious week-end. Time to finalize any deal that is forthcoming.

Yeah truth, this week-end series is a big one. It would be nice to send a message to the …. gulp…. first place midgets. We got Cain tonight… and he is on my fantasy team (I didn’t pick him, the puter did). But in this league we get points for earned runs (weird) so about 7 earned and 7 K’s would suit me just fine.

Welcome David . . . Just get us started every day, and the folks here will make it go from there.

Last week the Dodgers need hitting help. They get a hitter and lose the first two games with him in the lineup.

Yesterday, the Dodgers fell apart in the pitching department. Giving up 18 hits. 18.

A team cannot win many games giving up 18 hits.

So I looked at Capuano’s record this season. He is now 10-6.

But his last 9 starts he is 2-4. In his last 6 starts he is 1-4.

Maybe he has flattened out as so to speak. But he is pitching like a #5 guy on the staff.

Yesterday he gives up 11 hits in 4.1 innings. That is batting practice.

Honey better fine tune him — or, was it just the heat in St. Louis???

Now I need to jump on Matt Kemp. Our All-Star. Last 10 games hitting .250 with 2 HRs and 6 RBIs. In those 10 games striking out 13 times.

That layoff was hard on the swing and rhythm he needs to find back.

Starting tonight for the Dodgers . . . my morning newspaper gave a name that we are not used to seeing . . . Dodger web site does not even list one yet.

What I saw with Kemp is him swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. Why should teams pitch to him? The 0 for 5 I saw they didn’t. He needs to just take the walk and I don’t think he is built that way.

Maybe we need a 6 man rotation during July and August.

It was apparent to me that Kershaw and Capuano just ran out of gas in the hot weather. I\’m surprised Harang didn\’t as he is huge. I wonder if the Dodgers\’ training staff properly hydrated Kershaw and Caps? That 100 Degree heat is something the Dodgers are not used to.

Look for them to bounce back in the cool air by the Bay tonight!

13. Kevin says:

Love the optimism but I’ll be tickled pink if we can get out of town winning 2/3. Tonight doesn’t look good that’s for sure.

14. SpokaneBob says:

Thanks for stepping up David. I read here everyday but haven’t had much time to post. I will try to contribute more often. I appreciate many of the opinions and information that is posted here and I would like to single out Brooklyn as someone who always has a well reasoned, balanced and interesting post. I know Mark will post often….he can’t help himself.

I hope that by Tuesday we will be a much better team than we are now.

• the truth hurts says:

I agree Kevin, 2 out of 3 would be nice but I got a good feeling!

Spokane, thank you sir! your insight is always appreciated as well

Where is Brooklyn?

Hey new guy, you suck!!!

Ok, i just wanted to be the first with the stupid comment.

If we win tonight (Fife vs. Cain), we’re going to the playoffs!!

I have always wanted Carl Crawford. Not only is he a stud player (when healthy), he’s supposedly a good dude and great clubhouse leader. Let’s make it happen, provided the Celtics pay a lot of his salary.

I do think Ned gets that big time pitcher. He went from shopping at Target (albeit poorly at times), to now being at South Coast Plaza with Daddy’s credit card. Just find good deals Ned!!

• the truth hurts says:

thanks Bobby, someone had to say it!

Your right, if we can win tonight-playoffs here we come. My prediction is standing at the bottom of Mount Everest right now.

Hey, since it’s Guggenhedgfunds money, I say we take on all those contracts that teams are dumping, throw ‘em all on the field at the same time and see if they win. If they don’t, eh, just bench ‘em, trade ‘em and pay half the contract, or do what McCheeseball did, extend the contracts into the next decade. Put together a Dream Team in L.A. —-

Morneau at first, Crawford in left (or Victorino in center) Cliff Lee, Carlos Zambrano and Johann Santana in the rotation, Aramis Ramirez at third (if we can’t get Wright) Rickie Weeks or Chase Utley at second…. who am I missing here? We’re loaded, spend it like there is no tomorrow…. as there might not be… Nibiru you know……

atta boy Bobby! now that you have broken the stupid ice, I can be myself in here and nobody will notice……..

17. Rob says:

Dodgers are talking to the cubs about adding soriano or lahair in the dempster deal. They are also talking to the twins about Morneau and willingham. Maybe the team will look a lot different after this weekend.

I would absolutely love Morneau.

However, i would absolutely love a lot of guys on this team…..

Go Ned, build this team up!!

Does he belong in the HOF?

Probably. He would have made it without the roids as he was one of the best natural baseball players ever to play the game. But, blowin’ up like that and lying about it is enough for me to say “no way”. Make him wait until he is 75.

Morneau and Willingham? Really? Forget Soriano. I’ll take Willingham over Soriano any freakn day. Make that happen Jed. And if you can’t….. ok, I accept Soriano.

20. Kevin says:

NO, NO, NO to Soriano. That guy would put up terrible numbers in Dodger Stadium and we would be strapped with that horrible contract for 2 more years limiting us on what we could do in the offseason.

We don’t need to make a move just to make a move!

21. Win for Vin says:

I want Josh Johnson…the guy is a horse and has years (I think) left in him. I think he’s just as good as Matt Cain. I hope the Dodgers can make it happen. Then finally Magic can give “the finger” to Arte Moreno for beating him to the punch.

Welcome in Dave C!

Josh Johnson is a stud….but is he healthy?

Crawford is a stud….but is he healthy?

Risk vs. reward. We were all stoked to get Kevin Brown and Jason Schmidt. How did that workout?

I could talk myself out of any deal if I thought long enough I guess. All I know is something is gonna happen.

Tonight we gotta dance with the gals we bring to the dance and I agree that we could sweep SF. It’s not probable but not impossible!A big series win and a move or two and the last 2 months of the regular season will be fun to watch!!

23. Bobbie17 says:

It was hot for the Cardinals, too. No more excuses. With Ramirez, the team personality has changed again. How long will it take to gel? Maybe December? Maybe tonight. This season has been a series of spotty performances, some good, most bad. The time to start being consistent is now. The first game of this series may be the most important game of the season, so far. A win could lead to a sweep, either way. It’s too bad that Ely wasn’t brought up to pitch this one. Why? Surely, the team had enough advance warning that a pitcher was needed. Ely could have been put on a schedule to pitch on Friday. I guess he was not. Why? Is Fife better? I doubt it.

24. WIn for Vin says:

If anyone was watching MLB network, Kevin Millar (for what he’s worth)said Morneau and Dempster to the Dodgers by this weekend.

25. the truth hurts says:

Josh Hamilton?

• the truth hurts says:

crazy thought on cnnsi.com, would be nice but def not happening

morneau would be a nice improvement, possible lightning in a bottle

26. El_Che says:

Thanks David for stepping up!

27. El_Che says:

What the heck is Cole on L.A.??!?

Wow, Anaheim gets Zack Greinke!

We need Josh Johnson!

Thanks Spokane. Of course, sometimes I don’t feel reasoned and balanced.

I’m extremely busy, so posts come when I can find a little time, and they’re generally extemporaneous.

Welcome aboard Dave (oops, I forgot, you’ve been here awhile). And that part about you being a “horrible writer” is without a doubt, wrong.

A sweep this weekend would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. The Dodgers play the midgets 12 more time this year, including the last 3 of the season. Two out of every three works out to 8-4, which wipes out the 4 game loss column lead they have on us. Lots can happen. More deals are likely, and Kemp and Ethier, along with Hanley are likely to catch fire in time. Kemp’s been fishing lately, but I think he’s being made aware of that, and is likely to start taking more of those breaking balls. Sometimes you have to make the same mistake several times before finally honing in on what you’re doing wrong. Kemp’s been down this road before, and certainly knows the adjustments he has to make. Who knows, maybe getting Hanley is making Kemp and Ethier press a bit, thinking that they have to take advantage of his presence. And if that’s the case, that too will pass.

Crawford and Johnson, if healthy and ready to play would be huge difference makers. Problem is, we just don’t know. And we don’t know that any amount of due diligence can determine the answer. Same thing with Morneau. If we acquire them, then I’ll just hope. Nothing else to do. But, of course, there are other fish in the sea. We should know by midnight (NY Time) next Tuesday.

Again, whatever pseudonym you use Dave, you’re welcome.

30. WIn for Vin says:

Zack Greinke…really, for sure? Arte Moreno wins again. I thought Greinke had emotional issues and thus only liked pitching in smaller markets where the media was less scrutinizing?

31. Jae says:

Moreno wins?

Not yet.

If Greinke dies well the Dodgers can just sign him for no compensation .

If I were Kastin I would bitch slap Moreno like that !

Sometimes we Dodger fans have call to attention — players that are not pulling their weight. I do not see this as being negative . . . pep rallies are fine, but kicking some of the players in the pants is needed from time to time.

Today: Mark Ellis

Hitting only .186 in his last 10 games, with 2 RBI, both in one game. Announcers keep saying how valuable he is because he hits being the runner. ((meaning, Gordon singles or doubles, and Ellis grounds out to second base))

We need him to step up his game now — now that Kemp and Ethier have been a bit flat.

33. the truth hurts says:

watching Fife pitch is PAINFUL

Truth . . . you are partly right. Of late, watching the entire Dodger 25 man roster is painful. Not doing the basics. Not hitting. Pitching blowing up. Players out.

It is painful.

35. the truth hurts says:

your exactly right, Roger…

as you mentioned and right on cue, the “valuable” mark ellis does nothing again…

Mark Ellis is what he is… an aging but decent fielder and a .265 lifetime hitter. To expect any more out of him is unrealistic. The fact that we have to put him in the two hole isn’t his fault. It just shows our lack of hitting depth.

Fife? wow. First Halladay, and now Cain. I like this kid. Veterans take note.

36. ken says:

Congrats on the new writer Mark.. Take a well deserved rest. Sleep in with the Wife. The Truth needs to get the post up by 6 AM every morning :)

Still wondering when Donnie will learn how to manage the bullpen. If Donnie doesn’t like Wright then go tell Ned to get another reliever already!Midget hitting .280 in Extra Innings but the Dodgers are hitting .328.

Barney Fife kept us in the game and Hanley did what Kemp and Ethier didn’t. Great win. Now lookin for Good Bills tomorrow. GO Blue

1. [...] post: Calm Before the Storm Tagged blue, david caldwell, dodger, dodger news, dodgers, giants, grandfather, hanley, hey, la [...]