This is Juan Uribe’s Last Best Chance

To say that Juan Uribe has been disappointing as a Dodger would be tantamount to saying that I am not a very good brain surgeon.  Look, I can perform brain surgery, but I doubt that anyone would like the outcome.  This is his last best chance as a Dodger.  If he can’t cut it or gets injured again, I could see him DFA’ed by August.  Let’s see what you’ve got, Juan.

Alex Castellanos is green, but I like his demeanor on the field.  He looks like a major-league hitter (even though he didn’t hit much), but I said the same about Andy LaRoche.  He needs to play 2B everyday, if that is where they see his future.

Jim Callis of Baseball America regards Jorge Solar as a TOP 50 Prospect.  $30 mil is a lot to pay to a TOP 50 Prospect.  Theo Epstien of Dice-K, JD Drew Fame made the deal and since he is with the Cubs, I have to question the deal.  Move along, nothing to see here, folks.  Theo is the most over-rated GM in baseball behind Brian Cashman.  I have no problem with the Dodgers staying out of this. bidding.  I mean, no one has seen him against real competition and it’s a crap-shoot.  The Dodgers will spend, but they will also spend wisely.  They won’t just spend for spendings sake.  Jayson Stark said “He’s got a lot of tools. But he hasn’t played a lot in strong international competition. Probably a high A-ball player right now.

I told you that Andre Ethier would be locked up long term – 5 years/$85 million was just about right.  The timing was bad insofar as that Andre’s batting average has dropped about 50 points, and he had several opportunities to knock in runs last night.  Other than his grand slam Sunday, his bat has been quiet – he needs top step up while Matt Kemp is out. Maybe he will go into beast mode once the deal is inked!  That could be weighing on his mind.

Rule #1:  You never pitch to Albert Pujols with first base open in the ninth with the winning run on 2B!  Write that down, Donny – Don’t do it again.  I’ll forgive you once.  Maybe Trumbo would have gotten the hit too, but Pujols is too good and has been for too long to pitch to him in that situation.

I think Capuano needs to skip a start.  He looked a little tired.

Other News:

• Dee Gordon stepped up last night.  Herrera did too.  The middle of the order was absent.
  • I like Kenley Jansen, but I still think he needs another pitch to be as effective as possible.
  • Mike Trout is a very nice player.  He hit .220 in 2011 in 123 AB’s.  What a difference a year makes.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6/11/12

31 Responses to “This is Juan Uribe’s Last Best Chance”

Sorry, for some reason, the comments were turned off.

They are on now.

50,000 at the Ravine. I wonder how many were wearing red.

Good news on Ethier. Sure hope he earns it. You know he always has bad months on his way to hitting .290. It’s gonna happen every year in that big contract. Just have to ride out his slumps. You know where he wouldn’t slump? Boston. He could smack that 250′ wall every day if he wanted to.

Still don’t have the details of the Soler contract, but I agree he got a sweet deal. If he is good, it could work out well for the Cubs because players get less in arbitration than in free agency. If he is bad, he won’t opt out and the Cubs are on the hook for $30 million. If he is really good, I guess he can opt out during his arb years (whenever that is) and leave. Who knows how that all works out, but I agree the Dodgers need to work things another way.

Dee Gordon did his lead-off thing last night. Not much help from everybody else.

I agree about Jansen and said so on another thread. An off speed pitch he can keep at the shins would be an excellent third pitch. He threw 5 straight cutters, all the same speed, to Pujols. You don’t do that to any hitter, let alone a guy like Albert.

I would like to see Uribe have one solid month this summer. He did that in September of 2009, hitting .347 with 7 home runs and an OPS over 1.000. If he had a good month once, he can have a good month again.

Watched the beginning of the game last night, then slices of the rest.

Seems like the Dodgers showed up for the first inning — then went on cruise control.

My old Dodger “fear” is that just about any day now — the loosing streak will begin and the Giants and D-Backs will pass the guys up.

Ethier is not much any more (of late). But we must realize that advance scouts are watching and sending in reports — and their teams work on those reports. Right now, the Dodgers need to try some other things —- like not getting hit with the ball while running the bases (Gordon).

Go get ‘em tonight.

The dbacks have won 5 in a row, but they get the Rangers now. S.F. can make some hay against the Stros.

The Angels look like a damn good team. Don’t know what happened with their start (Pujols?) but they seem to have it worked out now. Same with the dbacks. You can bet Gibson will have them winning more than they lose the rest of the way.

Yeah Roger, I hear ya. I too am waiting for these over-acheivers to start playing like their career numbers say they should. Just hold on and play .500 until the deadline, then watch what kind of magic the boss can pull out of his hat. I got faith in the new suits.

Ethier is just doing what he does. If you look at his three year splits, he doesn’t hit all that well in June and July – something like .265. It’s even worse in September. He is a streak hitter. And 17 mil a year might seem a little steep for a guy who has only hit 30 HR’s and drove in over 100 once in his career, but, who knows. Maybe if the Dodgers get some other hitters in the lineup, he will have another 30 and 100 sometime in the next 5 years. I won’t hold my breath.

5. ken says:

Juan can hit RHP .333. But he is only 2 for 26 against LHP. Too bad Donnie doesn’t understand Reverse Splits. He is hitting .327 at Home and .080 on the Road. Maybe he just needs a warm glass of milk for his lonely heart. :)

Bring Casty back when he is hitting .400 at AAA.

Forget Solar. Spend the money on Ethier and Seager.

Ethier needs to hit the ball to left field, he is trying to pull every pitch again.

Cappy is fine. He just was nervous because Traenor did not play last night.

Trout hit .163 last year when he was 19
    He hit .250 after he turned 20
    This year he hit .091 in 11 ABs in April
    He hit .324 in May
    And he is hitting .500 in June
    This kid is growing up fast.

6. Mike Dixon says:

Ethier has been swinging at terrible pitches in the dirt lately….needs to stop….

7. jerry says:

i mention about jensen getting another pitch about a month ago..and every one said he doing just fine..now i here something different., seem like only a few one here get replys..it must be a big click.

I think we all agree with you Jerry big click or not. Jensens delivery also needs to get shortened along with a new pitch. He’s too slow to the plate and runners are having a field day against him.

I’m not one to start preaching doom and gloom in here as some might. A few bounces our way and we could have won last night. I believe the boys are still playing hard for Donnie and don’t see a huge losing streak coming our way yet. A few more injuries could change this however. I believe new ownership will approve some help before the trading deadline.

Glad to see Andre got extended and now he can relax and play ball as Mark stated up above. I agree with Mike about Andre swinging at the curve balls in the dirt for the last few weeks. It seems that the pitchers have got his writen down in their scouting reports.

Before I go I must talk about Dee Gordon’s running blunder last night. Why is Dee not aware of where the ball is being hit? This is as easy as chewing gum and watching TV at the same time and his flexiblity as an athletic makes me think if he was aware of what was going on, he could have easily scored on that play. I also still hate the way he slides into second base. He comes off the bag midway through the slide and over slides the base most of the time. Davy, Maury – fly in Brent Butler, someone teach him a few things so he can become the great player we think he can. That’s it for now, a win tonight and the posts tomorrow will be more positive………………. Peace

9. the truth hurts says:

that angels lineup is ridiculous….capuano looked like a deer in the headlights the entire game.

the angels are going to make some noise and unfortunately they are the local american league team.

let us all hope for the best…..

Some agreed with you jerry. I did. Not everyone will.

On paper, the Angels look 10 games better than the Dodgers. But, the bounces have been going our way for most of the year. It could happen that they do the rest of the way too, but I am not counting on it. I still think we need another thumper in this lineup. And I don’t think it’s going to be our current third baseman.

This stretch is going to be interesting. Angels, White Sox, Giants and Mets are all above .500 teams. We gonna be tested.

11. Anonymous says:

Give Jansen a break the guy gives up a run and your going to complain about him needing another pitch? Yeah that would be nice but the hit yesterday by Pujols had nothing to do with the pitch…he didn’t make good contact and it was a broken bat single. Not much you can do about that.

12. Kevin says:

On another note looks like we are finally seeing the real Capuano. I like the guy but really he’s nothing more than a backend starter. He got off to a great start but now he’s having problems getting out of the 5th inning. The hitters are starting to figure him out.

When we first started talking about it, I went and looked and saw that Jansen threw like 8 straight cutters to a guy he didn’t get out. Last night he threw 5 straight to Albert Pujols who worked him for a hit. If all Jansen has is a 93 mph cutter, he needs an off speed pitch. The sooner that is in the arsenal, the better for everybody but the opposing hitters.

Capuano? Isn’t that the guy who is going to win 20?

Just cast my All Star vote. I didn’t vote the 25 times they said I could, but I did vote. Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw and Ellis got my vote. Uggla, Wright, Goldschmidt and Tulo also got my vote. Didn’t vote AL. I considered adding Uribe, but, didn’t. I was thinking maybe if we vote for him as an All Star he would start playing like one. Then I realized how stupid that really was. The power of noetics needs more than a couple of people to actually have any chance of working.

ok, who you got in the NBA finals? Anybody care? I’ll take OKC just because I don’t like Miami. Yep, I am hater. Wake up hating, go to sleep hating. It’s my nature.

15. Kevin says:

I’m with ya Badger I’ll take OKC for he same reason you are. CAN’T STAND MIAMI…

I got OKC in 6

I think Mark still has Indiana.

18. ken says:

Since Donnie does not understand splits here is the lineup with real batting averages against RHP

Gordon .263
    Ellis .303
    Ethier .291
    Rivera .204
    Abreu .282
    Kennedy .203
    Uribe .333
    Gwynn .275

Now is that the lineup that a manager earnings millions a year is supposed to create?

Sometimes, during the game, I will make a comment on how BAD the Dodgers look and the terrible lineup they have on the field for that game.

But they came back and won some of those games.

Okay, tonight this is a terrible lineup. Kennedy, Uribe should retire. Ellis is up there for a walk. Rivera was a cast off of the American League. Gwynn could not find a job with anyone else but the Dodgers. Abreu was cut adrift. Gordon makes so many mistakes he should be in the minors; and AA at that. Ethier’s average is dropping faster than Mark’s dinner plate.

Other than that . . .

• Bobby says:

I gota agree with you, Roger.

It’s a tight 1-1 game, but i’m thoroughly bored watching!

Yet I know we’ll probably pull off a great comeback win (well not comeback since it’s 1-1, but still…)

20. ken says:

Stupid is as Stupid does

I’ve seen enough of Kennedy to last a life time. Send him home to Riverside. I hear they’re forming Men’s softball teams.

We are playing a very good team tight. That’s about all we can ask of this group.

Gordon has a streak of two games with a walk. Didn’t think I would see that this year. It’s a good sign. Didn’t we kind of figure this was an OJT year for him? Yeah, he could use another year in the minors, but, we need him here.

We are getting good pitching…. for a few innings anyway. Sure would be nice to see 7 innings with less than 3 runs on the board from all the starters. I haven’t been on this game (Thunder!!) but I do notice that the Dodgers gave up 2 unearned. Can’t do crap like that against the better teams.

Speaking of better teams, the Rangers handed the dbacks their asses tonight. Kennedy got bombed, not good for me as he is on my fantasy team. Good for the Dodgers. S.F. with a lead over the terrible Stros. They can get to within 3 1/2 tonight.

Come on Blue……… rally time……….

Uh… the Dodgers still have the best record in baseball!

Who knew?

24. Bball says:

And that’s y u never get bored or turn it off. Ya baby

25. ken says:

5 runs is the Easy Button for the Dodgers!

And, I get my wish. Rally time. 7 IP and 2 runs by Harang, bullpen does it’s job for 2 innings. Easy peasy.

Nice hit Rivera. See, he’s not so bad.

Take that gints. No gain tonight.

I like this team.

27. quasimodo says:

i hate the best team money can buy (yanks) and because of that. its cool though that kemp and ethier are getting their rewards, they became heros as dodgers. maybe i’m alone, but i have fear that this new ownership will turn my beloved dodgers into a west coast national version of the yanks. this year the angels spent more than $300 million on free agents, they won their championship spending $0 on free agents. scouts and the farm system make teams that fans can be proud of, unless you’re a yank fan, and i hate them more than their team

28. quasimodo says:

P.S. long odds dodgers winning WS were 40 to 1. i got $100 down and it was the only bet i placed. i’m feeling pretty smart for a change