This Ain’t Your Momma’s Poodle

On paper, many baseball pundits think the Dodgers look like your mothers’ mini poodle, but rest assured, this 2012 version of the Los Angeles Dodgers is anything but docile.   Between the lines, the poodles turn into junkyard dogs.  Not pretty, but very effective.  These guys are “badder than Old King Kong and meaner than a junkyard dog!

Just when you think they can’t keep it up, they do. The Dodgers have NEVER – I repeat NEVER swept the Phillies in a 4-games series since they moved to LA.  I don’t care if the Phils have injuries, so do the Dodgers.  This is E-P-I-C!

The Giants have been one of the hottest teams in baseball the past ten games and they can’t catch these junkyard dogs.  Do you really think Melky Cabrera is going to keep hitting .364 or that Angel Pagan is going to hit .321?  I don’t, but I’ve been wrong before.  Tim Lincecum looks hurt to me.  His ERA is near 6.00.  If he can’t do it, they are toast.  If the Dodgers just play .500 ball the rest of the way (and there is absolutely NO REASON to think they will drop that much), they will win 89 games.  That’s probably enough to win the NL West.

James Loney looks to be waking up – I am now of the opinion that you just play him everyday and hope that he can continue, but knowing that you get stellar defense.  Uribe will be back soon and as much as he is hated, his defense should be an upgrade at 3B.

It remains to be seen if Mark Ellis can return and be effective this year – he is really missed at 2B.  A healthy Matt Kemp is as big of a shot in the arn that a team can get.  A healthy Juan Uribe is a solid third-baseman and Ted Lilly was having a solid season.  Matt Guerrier, Blake Hawksworth, Javy Guerra are all re-habbing and some may return… or not.  Just don’t forget – these guys are junkyard dogs – effective, just not pretty!

Not Your Momma's Mini Poodle!

26 Responses to “This Ain’t Your Momma’s Poodle”

Geezzzzz, Dodgers could get all of those injured guys back — and then start loosing ball games.

2. ken says:

The giants have the secong most wins in MLB. Surprised? Is parity coming to MLB?
    The Dodgers are the only team who are 10 games or more over .500 and they are 16 games over.
    If you knew that during June the Dodgers were 22nd in hitting and 14th in pitching would you believe that they were 5-2 in June? 22nd in hitting but 8th in runs scored. Sounds like they are back in Clutch mode!!
    They are a little tired so play everyone like in Little League.
    Platoon Platoon Platoon!
    Marilyn Manson needs to go back to McDonalds and eat lots of Big Macs if he ever is going to be an ACE again. :)

Loney needs a rality check every month that includes a day or two off to watch films. Hey how about a little overtime. Watch films the same day that you play. Forget the Charity appearances.

Interesting stats ken. Here’s another one – for the month of June the Dodgers are 8th in scoring and 1st in PA. So even though they are not hitting so well, they are sending men to the plate and getting a few of them home. Last night they were 6 for 13 WRISP. yep, that is clutch.

It’s true what you say about Cabrera and Pagan Mark. But that can also be said about many of the Dodgers. Hairston, Abreu, Treanor, and Ellis are all hitting over .300. I doubt any of them finish there. I doubt Ethier will either. He is a .292 career hitter, so I guess it’s possible with him. Herrera and DeJesus are hitting over .290. Neither of them will remain there. Do you think Mark Ellis will finish the year with a .373 OBP? His career number is .330 so that too is unlikely.

But, they are on a roll so far and I am loving it.

I think the pitching will continue to be good, but the Dodgers are not 4th in MLB in hitting good. Right now the top 7 clubs in hitting are the Rangers, Cards, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phillies, Tigers and Yankees. Seriously, who doesn’t belong in that group? The Dodgers are also 10th in MLB in runs scored, and 3rd in runs against, but have the best record. I told you why I thought this was the case. The gods are smiling because McBeelzabub has left the building.

More smoke. More mirrors. Let the magic continue!

Found an old treasure.

Going through some old slides in boxes — I found a copy of The Sporting News, April 23, 1977 – with Rick Monday on the cover, in a Dodger uniform, and the U.S. flag behind him.

Searched and found an image:

Has a little bit of value, about $18

The Dodgers have not sweep the Phillies at home since 1946 – before Jackie Robenson signed to play for the team.

I turned the radio off yesterday after they were down 3-0 with Cole Hamels on the mound thinging it wasn’t going to be their day and checked back in right when they went up by one run. I almost drove off the road because I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. These are junk yard dogs that don’t know they are suppost to lose. They beat both Lee and Hamels in the series even if the Phillies are only a shell of what they were last year. Most of the above thoughts were stated by Charlie Steiner after the game yesterday however, this team has some kind of magic right now and the scary part of it all is what Badger keeps saying that the bubble could pop at any moment. Well maybe not in those words but I understand what he is saying. I see predictions that the Dodgers should hold on now and win the west. Then the next week the same guys are saying that the magic is beginning to disappear and the Giants will over take them. The fun part is that no one really knows for sure but it’s fun watching this unfold. The Dodgers should win the series against the Mariners and you can bet I’ll be watching. Stay tuned to see who the next guy on the roster will be to step up and get the winning hit. With this kind of magic going on, management will have to go out and get some guys for the playoff run. At least this year, we shouldn’t have to sacrifice our best young talent to save money that the owner don’t have. GO BLUE

It’s still VERY early.

I would still be looking into any and all moves that would improve the club long term. I have already said this, but it bears repeating, it is a long way to the trade deadline. Many things could, and will, happen between now and then – not only to our team, but to others as well. There will players and deals offered between now and six weeks from now that don’t exist right now.

In the mean time, I am enjoying having the gints play over their heads (8-2) and still not able to catch us. Hows our butt look from your perspective gint fans?

Actually, I think the dbacks have a better ball club than the do the gints. When they get it figured out, and I think they will, they will come at us.

7. Kevin says:

I don’t know Badger the Giants have cut our lead from 7 to 4 in one weeks time. I’d say they are putting a dent in our lead.

“Rival teams say the Dodgers are looking for a starter, a lefty reliever and a bat.” – Jayson Stark

Who isn’t. Gee thanks. Way to be specific! All the more reason to think these “experts” rumors are full of it 90% of the time!

The fact we are still looking for a starter makes me wonder if we may deal Billingsley in a seperate deal for a bat. It also makes me a little worried about Kershaw. But I worry too much…

Kemp out of the lineup for over 3 weeks and the gints can only gain 3 games? I would say that is GREAT for the Dodgers Kevin. The gints are not 8-2 good, that’s for sure. But then…… are the Dodgers 15-7 good without the real MVP?

I say again… it’s the baseball gods smiling down on the Blue.

10. ken says:

Juan Pierre appears to be extremely glad that he spent time in LA as a Dodger.

11. ken says:

Trade Bills and $5 mil for Anibal Sanchez?

12. the truth hurts says:

“you play in the worst division in baseball”-3 yankee fan friends of mine….

a bunch of haters out here on the east coast…….

let’s keep it going against Seattle tonight guys, let the HATERS HATE!

Hating is what haters do. They don’t even know any better. They get up hating their morning coffee, go to work at a job they hate, come home to a wife they don’t like much, have dinner that tastes bad, watch a t.v. that isn’t even high def, then go to bed by themselves on an old mattress with dirty sheets. All this is the way it is because of the law of attraction. It’s a law. Like Newton’s laws. You can’t get away from it. If you are a hater, you hate. It comes around because it goes around.

You have Yankee fan friends truth? You need new friends.

• the truth hurts says:

lol, very good synopsis badger!

and you are indeed correct, no yankees friend is a good friend!

Actually, I think Loney coming around with the bat is the perfect opportunity to trade him. And Uribe’s defense at 3B is not anywhere near the upgrade that his offense is a downgrade. With Uribe in the lineup the Dodgers will no longer be first in PA. And the offense will suffer. And I’m afraid that the Dodgers offense will be very vulnerable in the postseason where they will likely have to face a series of frontline pitchers, and likely deeper bullpens.

The Dodgers are playing well, and that’s great. If anything, it affords them enough of a cushion to bide their time upgrading, especially at the corner infield spots. And whatever the Giants and Dbacks are, they are certainly not elite teams. In fact, there are no elite teams in the NL.

I hope the bubble doesn’t burst, and maybe it won’t. But to become a true playoff threat, the Dodgers are in need of quality reinforcements, and probably not at just the corner infield spots. And I think we’ll see some in the coming couple of months. And if the Dodgers truly perceive that they’ve added significant talent in the recent draft, and with their international signings, those recently completed, and those yet to come, then they’re that much more likely to be willing to trade some of the minor league talent they currently have, with the knowledge that the pipeline remains full, even more so than it was before.

If he’s healthy, then I think that Kevin Youkilis (or a player like him) would be a huge upgrade. The Dodgers lineup has shown patience all year (well, not Uribe), and adding a player like Youkilis would be much like the addition of Abreu, only better. The Dodgers will score if they make opposing pitching staffs work. And runners on base are just what the doctor ordered for Kemp and Ethier.

Great post Brooklyn.

I have always figured the Dodgers SHOULD be THE elite team in the NL. There is no good reason they cannot be the West Coast Yankees. They have the following, or certainly did have before the McCheesy era. They can average 3.5 million with an average year. With some real talent and a lineup like the Yankees, they could reach 4 million BIS and have their DTN. Hopefully the new ownership can make that happen.

Not a whole lot of hitting going on in Seattle so far. I am watching the game on Gameday. No broadcast for me tonight, but tomorrow’s game is on ESPN I believe.

16. the truth hurts says:

badger, do you not have mlb.tv?

it changed my life…..

Well…. that sucked. Talk about a momentum stopper. Hope this doesn’t have a lingering effect.

Nope truth, just dumped the dish, went back to local cable to save a few bucks for a year. Maybe next year.

coulda swore Gameday had it in the 9th a minute ago. Only the 8th. Still a chance?

19. ken says:

An exciting game!

Nope, I was right the first time – it sucked.

Very unusual – 6 pitchers in the game and not one of them gave up a hit.

21. Cal says:

Mark,

You do a super job; but why can’t you spell Jerry Hairston’s name properly? He’s been doing very well for the Dodgers. Show him some respect.

Thanks

Was tired last night and didn’t stay up here on the east coast to watch the game. Guess I didn’t miss much. It’s only one game, but just a little more reason to upgrade the offense. I’m guessing that Eovaldi looked good, which is all the more reason to upgrade the offense. Kid could use a little run support.

Badger, in case you don’t know, there’s a difference between the MLB Extra Innings package and MLB.TV. The latter gives you access to games on your computer, as well as on smartphones, ipad, etc. Just go to http://www.mlb.tv. And I’m sure you know that you don’t have to type the “www.”

And yes, the Dodgers should be the west coast Yankees. Or even better, maybe they’ll start calling the Yankees the east coast Dodgers.

$20 a month to watch a game on a 17″ screen in my office? I am on a strict budget these days Brooklyn… no golf, no more trips, my income has been cut 10% and with the cost of living going up daily, me unt the mrs are cutting everywhere. Want to buy my Tundra? But……if the Dodgers are going to be playing this well…. I’ll have to give it some thought.

I was watching the dbacks game on t.v. and coming in to check the Dodgers on Gameday – and I checked out before the Roberts walk-off. I like the dbacks. If it isn’t going to be the Dogs, I am fine with the dbacks, or even the Rockies. Just not the dreaded gints or the ugly uni’d Pods.

Actually, Badger, the Dodgers game tonight is on the FOX regional broadcast, which means I get blacked out in NY, where they are carrying the Mets/Yankees game. Also, I can’t even watch it on MLB.TV, since Fox’s contract prohibits the broadcast of any game they’re carrying on any other network. If FOX is airing the game during the day when the Dodgers play at night I get to watch the Dodgers game on TV. I can of course, listen to the audio broadcast using MLB.TV, but that’s not the same as watching it.

Another reason for me to hate FOX.