They Were Who We Thought They Were And We Let Them Off The Hook

The Dodgers played like your Momma’s Poodle last night.  6 pitchers and the Dodgers can’t get a hit?

50% of the game is 80% mental.

Nothing else to say except that the Dodgers lost and Nate Eovaldi can’t catch a break.

Jerry Hairston – How do you like me now, Cal?

Juan Uribe was 2-3 with a HR and a double last night at Rancho Cucamonga.  He’ll be back soon.  I don’t know if that is good or bad.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6/8/12

14 Responses to “They Were Who We Thought They Were And We Let Them Off The Hook”

Uribe. Whooppee.

Who really cares? We know what he can do. .250 with a .300 OBP and an occasional meaningless home run. I would rather see what the kids can do and just write Uribe off as another Jed Clampetti old guy signing. We have seen enough of those.

Leon Landry has 5 triples and 13 stolen bases already at Cucamonga. He is hitting over .300 and OPSing over .830. He is going to be 23 later this year. Promote the man. I want to see what he can do against better pitching. If we had he and Gordon at the top of the lineup, two rabbits followed by some serious middle of the order hitters – we would be feared by many and respected by all.

FREE LEON!!!!!

Problem with Landry is that he followed a .349/.399/.510 season at rookie Ogden in 2010 with a .250/.307/.360 at low A Great Lakes in 2011. He’s got speed, but his OBP isn’t all that much more than his BA, indicating that he’s not much of an on-base guy. And since he hit a grand total of 8 HRs in those two years, it’s pretty clear than he needs to get on base to be effective. Also, this is his third year, and he still hasn’t advanced out of A-ball. A prospect, yes, but not someone I’d hang my hat on.

Another guy that took a long time to advance out of A-ball was Elian Herrera. He’s looked good so far, but I doubt if he’s anything more than a utility player. I noticed that his average has come down to .278. Will it continue to decline? Will it begin to stabilize? Will he get hot again? Who knows? I simply don’t think he’s the answer long term to be an everyday player. At the same time I’m not looking forward to the return of Uribe. And Mark, I would characterize Uribe’s return as “bad”, and definitely NOT “good”. But that’s just me.

Yes, I would say Herrera’s avg. will continue to decline. How could he end up any better than a .250 hitter in the ML? He hasn’t hit .300 at any minor league level since Rookie League, and that was years ago. If he was all that, wouldn’t he have been here before now?

But, here he is.

All I am saying is that Leon has the kind of skills the Dodgers need. A left handed hitter with speed. Can he hit AA pitching? I want to know. Put him there and find out. I don’t really WANT to rush him, but, this team needs a CFer to plug in between Kemp and Ethier. Isn’t Landry the only CFer we have in the organization that has ML potential? The two guys we have at Chattanooga, Antny Jackson (‘emember him?) and Nick Buss aren’t really prospects and the only CFer listed at AAA is Matt Angle. Do we expect him up any time soon?

FREE LEON!!!

4. El_Che says:

Landrys doing that in a hitter friendly league he struggled last year in a pitching league doubt he’s ready for AA. Only if silverio didn’t get injured in that car crash he would’ve been a better option cuz he’d be in AAA.

Nevermind. The team has played over 60 games so far, and he has only played in 36 of them. Why? I have no idea. His 5 triples doesn’t lead the league, there are 4 guys with more, but they also come with 100 more at bats. And, there is some guy in that league with 68 stolen bases, so, Leon’s 13 don’t add up to much. There are 14 guys in that league with better averages than him. If he was any good, especially after playing at LSU, he should be at the top of that league. BCG is still there and hitting better than Landry… and that guy is like 25 years old. By the time you are 25, shouldn’t you be higher than A ball?

Like I have always said…. I just like the name. Leon Landry. Neon Leon………. if he could only play as good as his name………

I really don’t see the need for us to be shopping for another starter (unless he’s an impact starter), because Eovaldi has clearly shown he can be more than effective.

On the Soler front:
    The next round of bids for Soler are due this weekend, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). The Cubs, Yankees, Braves and Dodgers have been the most aggressive teams so far, Olney reports.

7. ken says:

Maybe last night was partially caused by the McCheap practice of not having enough quality scouts scout the AL competition prior to interleague games. Stan take note the MLB draft is over and you should send all of the scouts to scout the Dodger’s 2012 interleague opponents. Now. Today. Why isn’t down?

Well there are exceptions. Maury Wills was a 27 year old rookie with a long minor league resume. And although I can never remember his name, the Red Sox had a very good hitting outfielder with power, I believe in either the ’60′s or ’70′s, who came up at about age 28. But like I said, those were exceptions, and I’m not expecting the same from Herrera. But he could conceivably turn out to be a valuable utility guy if he’s a late bloomer.

Badger, I get your point about Leon “FREE ME” Landry. Also, Shane Victorino wasn’t all that much while he was in the Dodger organization, and was returned to them by the Padres after they took him in the Rule 5. Finally, he was again taken in the Rule 5 by the Phillies, and the rest is history. You just never know. So I’m all in. “FREE LEON!!!”

Bottom line is that the Dodgers need offensive help. And even when Kemp comes back, they will still need help.

As I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, they keep proving me wrong. Kershaw with another game he wasn’t all that sharp, but still got 12 K’s and a win. Hairston keeps doing it, as do the other second stringers. Ethier in his June slump and it didn’t matter today.

Karros made an observation tonight that I hadn’t heard. The Dodgers have played the easiest schedule in the league, and that will change. Eventually they will be playing teams with winning records. Can they keep this up against them?

The schedule will change, and so likely will the Dodgers, via trades, returning players, etc.. And is the Dodgers schedule that much different than what the Giants have played?

Remember, the weak Pirates that the Dodgers played early in the year. Well, they’re now in second place in the Central, a game out of first. If somehow the Dodgers schedule up until now has been weak, is it also that much tougher than the Giants schedule going forward? I doubt it.

11. Cal says:

Mark,

Now you’re even more super awesome. I enjoy reading your blog every single day!

Thanks!

Cal

1. [...] rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers This entry was posted in LA Dodgers News by Dugout Online Editor. Bookmark the [...]