The Times – They Are A Changin’

I though I’d share a few things that are running through my head right now.  I have written this blog for over 10 years now and while I am not planning to quit right now, I do have to say that the times are certainly changing.  My life has changed.  My 15th wedding anniversary (actually it’s my wife’s too) is coming up in July.  We have 5 kids combined.  I have a 25 year-old son in Brooklyn, NY (professional photographer – his last movie credit was Men in Black 3), a 31-year old daughter, who has a degree in mortuary science and wants to be a coroner (who lives near South Bend, Indiana).

My wife has a 32 year-old son who lives in San Francisco who is in the music business (producing) and a 27 year-old daughter who also is in the video business with Google Maps in Indianapolis.  We also have a 13 year-old stud who is a football player (LH quarterback and middle linebacker) and that’s all he thinks about – FOOTBALL (well, he’s also an honor student and great kid).

We have 3 grandchildren and my youngest son is in every football camp known to man.  From now until the end of November, we are consumed with his football.  He is entering the 8th grade.  Of course, I tried to steer him to baseball, but “that’s not my gig, Dad.”  OK.  I get it.

I also am President of US Water Systems, Inc. which has doubled sales the last 2 years and is doing even better this year.  I have cut back to 9-10 hours a day, but I still work evenings in my home office. My wife also works full time at US Water.  I also write two other business blogs (boring stuff on water treatment).

As I write this tonight, I have my laptop on the deck as I am drinking a beer and smoking a cigar (I don’t smoke cigarettes and I don’t inhale and I rarely smoke cigars).  The Dodger game is on my I-Pad and I am working on another business project.

I tell you all of this because I have less and less time for this blog.  Oh, I almost forgot – I also have a new venture (I have a partner) called www.IndyProSports.com.  I also own www.LAproSports.com.  This was something I wanted to do with Tony Jackson a few years ago, but the recession prevented it.

Tomorrow, I have to play golf at 1 PM with the President of a large corporation in China and then catch a plane at 8PM for Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  I arrive at 1 AM Thursday morning, and have a 7 AM appointment in Boca Raton with a large chain of bagel stores for which Larry King is the national spokesman (he also owns the Beverly Hills franchise).  I then catch a flight back on Thursday at 1 PM and arrive back in time for a 7 PM Board Meeting for a non-profit called the www.theGiftofWater.org that night.

If I discontinue this blog, it will because of family and other obligations.  I have no plans to do that, but you never know.  My health is great.  I enjoy what I do and I will never retire even though I will be 59 this year.  Just a heads up that I am busy and love it, and that this blog is way down on my list of priorities.  I enjoy the Dodgers and always will.  Thanks for listening.

17 Responses to “The Times – They Are A Changin’”

1. tdf says:

Mr. Timmons, i just want to tell u that i read your blog daily for the past 5 years. I think

u do an Awsome job man. Hope u don’t discontinue this blog anytime soon.God bless you

and your family. Go blue!!!

2. Jae says:

Do what you have to do. I’ll miss it, but it won’t kill me. This is the only blog where I post, and I appreciate your hard work. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sounds to me like you just need to get up earlier. I find 3 a.m. a good time to get stuff done.

I hope you keep this going, but if you don’t, we will all understand. It’s been fun. We have had our moments, but, here we are. What’s it been? 15 years?

I too am watching this game on my computer. Man, the Dodgers sure look easy to pitch to. And Kershaw all of sudden looks hittable.

4. RogerCraig says:

I have enjoyed every minute Mark. I don’t post much, but I love your insights.

In another vein, Clayton should use his curve more.

Please don’t leave Mark. I really don’t have much else in life right now :)

6. Dusto says:

I know I criticize almost everything you write concerning the Dodgers, but family comes first. Can’t argue with that!

I’d hate to see you go if only this provides myself an outlet of relief from the all the stupid decisions Colletti makes. There is something to say in that, I check this blog daily even I know I am going to disagree with what is said. I’m more “stats”, you’re more “character”. But in everything there needs balance.

21 consecutive scoreless innings.

i’d really like some offensive help

8. the truth hurts says:

the times are changin……

the giants are about to take over the west

9. jerry says:

dodger need to have a set line up and stick to it..this in and out ..is not getting it done..now only one game in front..

Well, that sucked. I believe that is 7 out of the last 8.

This team just doesn’t hit anymore. How much difference is it going to make to have Kemp back? Well, only if he is as good as he was before he left. It might take him a while to get back in the groove. And, it has become painfully obvious that Ethier’s star is attached to Kemp’s wagon. He can’t hit without Matt in the lineup.

The schedule doesn’t get any easier. With the one exception being the Padres, it looks tough all the way to end of July. If the team doesn’t start hitting – we could easily be in third place by the deadline and if so – could we be sellers?

I’ll sleep on it.

11. lindsay says:

while I haven’t really been reading your blog for as long as the others, I have enjoyed it, you always speak your mind, and when you’re wrong, you’re man enough to admit it. Today’s game was so hard to endure, you are so right, the times are changin’, we need some help, we need to wake up, we need something, and we simply cannot wait for kemp to come back, if you do make the decision to discontinue your blog, I’ll miss this place…hope you don’t.

12. Anonymous says:

The front office just needs to stand pat until kemp, Ellis, and Lilly get back. Not the time to hit the panic button just yet. Did anyone really believe this team could win it all the way it currently looks with the guys that are injured back? No need to gut the weak farm system we have for a marginal player. Just wait until the off season and throw those contract offers out to the real superstars. Everyone just be patient!!!

13. jon says:

Can’t they just bring up the AAA 1st baseman and send Loney to the minors? Anything would be better. And I hope Magic Johnson listens to the fans and finally fires Ned Colletti. Ned is useless.

14. jon says:

Mark Timmons your articles have been wise and they should make you GM of the team.

Good idea jon.

Sell your business Mark. Then move the family to Southern California and help Magic do it right. Little Markie Jr. can play qb at USC, the wife will be closer to her family and I can get season tickets.

Make it so.

Hey Mark. Almost 60. That is about the time one makes some new decisions. We cannot keep going like we are still 45. No matter how great we feel — the body needs some changes.

Some of us have this problem — we feel that world cannot go on without us. We, in charge, in control, #1, climbing more mountains — but then one day, we find it is harder to breath on the way up the next mountain . . . and we slow down, need to rest a bit, and see some of the world passing us by.

As a professor once said to us in seminary . . . “we will have problems, so ‘pick’ your problem, don’t let them pick you.” He also said, “Don’t dig a hole so deep you cannot get out.”