The One and a Half Club

The Los Angeles Dodgers are averaging 1.5 runs per game over the past 10 games.  Predictably, they are losing most games.  Flash: Ned Colletti says the Dodgers need more pitching.  In those past 10 games, the Dodgers are giving up 3.9 runs a game.  Now, unless the  pitchers the Dodgers get can pitch and hit like Don Drysdale, it’s not going to help.

I violently disagree with those who say the way the Dodgers played early in the season was unexpected.  HELLO!  The Dodgers were one of the best teams in baseball the second half of last season.  What is unexpected was how well they played without Kemp and Mark Ellis … For a while.  We knew that could not be sustained and now with the apparent absence from the linup of Andre Ethier, the Dodgers are in dire straights.

It is unexpected that James Loney and Juan Uribe cannot even approach having their career “average” season.  It is unexpected that Dee Gordon can’t get on base more.  Now, with Ethier probably destined to join Ellis and Kemp on the DL, the season could be lost.

Ned thought the Dodgers needed pitching and so he didn’t even consider Kevin Youkilis for $5 million.  Yeah, he’s a risk, but at $40 million, Puig isn’t a risk?  Please!

Everything is a risk.  You have to take some risks to get a reward.  Youk was 3-4 last night.

Ellis is headed to a rehab assignment.  Kemp  should be right behind him.  Unless a few underachievers can step up, it may be too late.

JARED MASSEY MINOR LEAGUE REPORT 6-27-12:

37 Responses to “The One and a Half Club”

1. Dave says:

Dodgers signed Puig. 7 years, 42 million. Your thoughts?

Mark thinks it’s a risk. I know nothing about this kid. It sounds like the White Sox and Braves were higher bidders. Hummmm

• Dave says:

It’s nice that management is looking to international players. I like that they are concerned about building the farm system with players that may become solid major leaguers. I’m intrigued that Puig took less money to come to the Dodgers – tells me he wants to be a Dodger, not just go for the highest pay. Plenty of jack coming his way anyways. But, what have you done for me lately? I’m a fan in Southern California who doesn’t want to spend my hard earned money going to games if the team as it presently exists is what it will be going forward. I want to see a good game – a solid chance of winning – not bench players with losses mounting. Puig won’t be of any help immediately or in the near future.

3. Kevin says:

Nothing is guaranteed in baseball but this Cuban kid looks nasty. He’s 6’3, only 21 and reportedly the fastest player in the Cuban league. I love the signing.

4. Jae says:

Why the hell cant we pay 5 mil for Youk?

He wasn’t even that expensive Jae.

I like the ‘Pweeg’ signing for a number of reasons. We are back in the international market. We signed a fleet footed outfielder who allegedly can hack. Most say he is a couple years away, but putting that much money into a young everyday player is a very good sign.

Mark, on May 30th the Dodgers were 32-18 playing at a .640 clip. Are you trying to tell us that that win % is something you expected out of this team for a full year? So, you expected the Dodgers to win 104 games this year? Man, that is 1,000 push-up bet.

They are not .640 good. No team in the NL is .640 good. I would say no team in MLB is that good, but some team like the Yankees could maybe pull it off. No, the Dodgers, as they are currently constructed, are a maybe a .530 team. They finished well last year, but started badly. They started well this year, and who knows how they will finish, but the key to any good team is to not have extended slumps. I fear this one could last a while.

Jed wants more pitching. OK. I would never say no to more better pitching. If you keep a team from scoring, you may accidentally score enough to beat ‘em. But, I think a better approach is to get some real hitters in here to go along with our good pitching.

5. Gionfriddo says:

Risk?? Are u serious?? Mark, this is a risk-reward business!! Funny, had we been out bid for Puig the boards would be screaming like they did 2 weeks ago when we lost out on Soler to the Cubs.. When Corey Seager signs (and he will sign soon) for 2.9 to 3.5 million u don’t think that will be a risk?? Let’s be grateful the new owners have opened up the pocket book and invested in what looks in the video, a 21 yr old with 5 tools …

Amen to that. Very good sign. The check book is open. Any other slugger want to come live the good life in L.A.?

6. Bball says:

Is this guy gonna be on the team immediately or how does this work. Will he play in minors or is this gonna be like cespedes. Just don’t know the process for the international players. Can someone please explain. Thanks

7. Kevin says:

Bball once we sign him he can play right away but there is no way he is ready. I would guess he will spend the remainder of this year in the minors and that next year is the earliest we might see him in the show.

As to the club right now, the 25 on the roster . . . it is what Ned has built. The roster has the Dodgers in 1st place — but WE feel that the bottom is now broken though and the Dodgers are falling faster than a box of rocks.

But is it happening . . . we enjoy the ride up until now, but the road has now changed and so has the direction.

The Dodgers sign a player they have never seen play for $42 mil and the Supreme Court stuns me. Whats next, the Blue bust out for 21 knocks and a 15 spot.

Mark, I just want to thank you for the forum you have here. Free speech lives and it’s refreshing to know that we can say what we want even if we’re talking out of our rear ends.

The Supreme Court has stunned us all before Michael. They have been doing that for a few years now.

I don’t see Puig on the 25 man roster until he shows he can hit AA pitching. I assume that is where he starts, and he should be in a lineup ASAP.

I read that Logan White went to Mexico City to watch Puig as well as have dinner with him.

I look forward to Logan’s review of this guy!

Who picked up the dinner check? He is (will be) worth more than Logan.

13. Anonymous says:

Everyone should be ecstatic that the Dodgers signed Puig. Not because of how good he is (if at all), but for what it says about an ownership that is prepared to invest big time in building a winner. Last year the Dodgers spent just a couple of hundred thousand on international talent, the lowest amount of any major league team. I am guessing that Puig is just the beginning.

And if the trend continues, expect that this will be carried over into the offseason when impact free agents are available. Since taking over on May 1, this is the first opportunity that the new owners have had a chance to flex some financial muscle. It will happen again, and again and again. And if the Dodgers didn’t choose to deal for Youkilis, you can rest assured that it had nothing to do with money. We don’t know what other moves are currently on the burner. I wouldn’t be jumping to any conclusions. Remember, there were other teams in discussions regarding Youkilis. None of them offered more than the White Sox either. I don’t care what Youkilis has done in the past. He’s been hurt, is 33 years old, and is probably nowhere near the player he used to be. Better than Uribe? Heck, Adam Kennedy might be better than Uribe. Maybe the Dodgers are looking to get someone with a longer term future. Who knows, maybe they are in discussions regarding a player like Hanley Ramirez, or some other very good player or players.

And by the way, I’m sure the Dodgers are still looking for pitching. And although they need bats more than arms, that doesn’t mean that they don’t have any use for more arms. In fact, getting some arms may free up another pitcher in a deal for a bat.

I have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. But I’ve seen enough to tell me that the Dodgers are willing to spend. But I don’t think they’ll do so wildly.

Agree with all that.

I wonder if Youk told his agent no West Coast teams please. Some guys do that. He also might feel that with an AL team, he has a better chance of an extension if he just hits. That makes as much sense as anything to me. If he can continue to hit his career numbers, he can DH for another 5 years. He may not have lasted that long in the NL.

• Gionfriddo says:

Agreed… Well said

This new kid from out of town — give him a uniform — throw him out there come Sunday’s game. Believe me, he can do not worse that these other bums. Because their are The Bums

A.J. Ellis is his own worst enemy. Looking at his last 10 games – 6 hits in 30 ABs = .200. A total of 1 RBI. 10 Ks, 5 BBs. That is terrible. No All-Star Game slot for him (unless 5 other N.L. catchers cannot go).

Did you know that Loney is the tallest of all Dodger infielders. 4 guys are under 6 foot. Uribe is 6 foot even — then Loney at 6’3″

Welcome Scott Van Slyke, bye to De Jesus . . .

The Dodgers have signed 31 players since June 4. With more to come.

16. Bball says:

Badger I totally agree. Ive been thinking that since the trade. Watching dodgers live. Kastan says “the dodgers will be very aggressive before the trade deadline, this is the dodgers and there ment to be great”. That is really refreshing to hear. Get r done kastan

17. Bball says:

Whatever happened to the David wright trade talks. No way they trade him now?

We could help with that by handing the Mets their ass this series. The Mets are still in this thing and as long as they are, I doubt Wright is going anywhere.

Loney hitting cleanup tonight

That makes about as much sense as Todd Coffey leading off

My lord I can’t wait till Kasten makes us great again :(

I trust Mattingly’s instincts. I got a feeling that Loney will reward Donnie for the honor of hitting clean-up.

2-4 with an ribbie and a run scored.

19. Gionfriddo says:

Kennedy starts again tonite… this should NOT happen under any circumstance… DFA Kennedy, call up Van Slyke– that should have been the transaction from earlier today… He has done ZERO to help this team thus far where as DeJesus won a game in Arizona and has had several pinch hits…. it is wrong, dead wrong… great call, Ned…

It would be wonderful if the Mets and Dodgers announced on Sunday afternoon that the two teams have worked out a trade:

Dodgers get: David Wright

Mets get: Uribe, Kennedy, Rivera, Hairston, Wright, Treanor, De Jesus, and a bag of practice balls.

Oh, and the Dodgers will throw in Rick Monday.

btw…… Bauer looked just a tad nervous in his debut. Not bad, especially for a kid drafted last year. 4 IP 2 ER. 3 K’s 3 BB’s. dbacks win. Interesting stat… they have hit a HR in 9 straight games. I would be happy if the Dodgers hit a HR in 1 straight game.

down 1-0 in the top of the 1st.

87% chance this game is already over

24. Gionfriddo says:

Nice call there, Donnie Baseball– let Gordon hit in that situation?? How bout Ellis pinch hitting and forcing Collins to bring in a RH reliever??

25. jerry says:

VAN SLIKE HIT , WITH HIS FEET IN THE BUCKET. HE IS ALMOST OUT OF THE BOX, NOT IMPRESSED

1. [...] more: The One and a Half Club Tagged andre ethier, dee, dodgers, ellis, ethier, juan, loney, los angeles, mark, matt kemp, ned, [...]