Revamped Rotation

As it stands right now, this is the Dodgers Rotation:

1. Clayton Kershaw – 2.73 ERA
  2. Chris Capuano – 2.60 ERA
  3. Nate Eovaldi – 2.35 ERA
  4. Aaron Harang – 3.76 ERA
  5. Chad Billingsley – 4.15 ERA

With Ted Lilly making progress, a decision as to who comes out of the rotation will have to be made soon enough.

I think that the Dodgers are trying to keep Kemp out until after the All-Star Game, but I don’t think they can wait that long.  Mark Ellis is also making great progress.

I think you will see both Kemp and Ellis back by next weekend.  Matt needs to play LF and be instructed that for the good of the team, he has to win with his bat and not his feet. Herrera and Gwynn should patrol CF.

Matt has to use his head and bat!  Forget the legs for a while.  By the way, some have suggested that Kemp go to RF and Either move to LF.  ABSURD!  You don’t move a Gold Glover and weaken EVERY position.  Kemp goes to LF.

As I write this Kevin Youkilis is still on the market.  I would get him and play him at 3B.  Tolleson (RedSox need pitching) and Uribe for Youk!  Forget what he’s hitting – he’ll be playing for a new contract with a chip on his shoulder.

Then DFA Kennedy for Ellis and activate Kemp.

Finally, trade Loney for Carlos Lee.

Lineup by next weekend:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. M. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp LF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Youkilis  3B
  6. Lee  1B
  7. Ellis  C
  8. Herrera/Gwynn CF

By the way, Billingsley is still better than the following starters (so far):

• Arroyo
  • Latos
  • Liriano
  • Lincecum
  • Marquis
  • Jurrjens
  • and about 75 others….

Philly is climbing back into things.  Hamels probably won’t be on the market.  Move on.  Get him in the off-season.

I rest my case.

The Dodgers need to get Corey Seager signed.  LIKE NOW!

58 Responses to “Revamped Rotation”

1. RogerCraig says:

Amen, Brother!

2. Jae says:

I would rather have Quentin and Headley, but that would put Kemp in CF.

Quentin is another one of the guys who is always on the DL however when he plays he reminds me of Jose Canseco. I would agree with Jae and take a chance on him and give me Headley. I just don’t think San Diego will deal with us.

4. Gionfriddo says:

Keep trying to convince yourself Bills is on par with a Wainwright, Lester, Gallardo … That’s laughable,,, Wainwright won 19 & 20 in ’09,’10 before the TJ surgery and is looking like the Wainwright of old… Lester has won 65 games the last 4 years… Gallardo has K’ed 200 THREE years running… We have ANY 3 of those guys instead of the inconsistent Billingsley behind Kershaw and we are a much better team..

• Jae says:

• Mark_Timmons says:

Go back and read what I said. I did not compare Bills to Wainwright, Lester, Gallardo and others in how good they are, just how bad they are doing RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW, Bills is doing better than they are. Lincecum is on that list too – I would never compare Bills to Timmy.

That said, Bills can be pretty dang good – and pretty dang bad. I would like to get rid of him, but we have to have a better option.

I mean, if you had read my post, you would know that I have Bills as the Dodgers #5. The other guys are #1\’s and #2\’s.

Geezze, What Jae says!

What about Zack Greinke? He could fit into the #2 slot pretty nice.

6. tdf says:

Mark, how about kendry morales

7. El_Che says:

I think theyll sign Seager after the CWS to see how much $$ they can give after they sign last couple guys.

If Ethier is a gold glove right fielder, then he’s a gold glove left fielder. I don’t know if the Dodgers ever plan to move Kemp out of CF, but if they do, right field makes the most sense. Kemp’s cannon plays better in RF than Ethier’s good arm. Ethier was definitely NOT a gold glove outfielder last year, but is far better this year after his knee surgery. How Ethier won the gold glove last year is beyond me. Without looking it up, the following outfielders come to mind as being better than Ethier. Hunter Pense, Michael Bourn, Carlos Gonzalez and Matt Kemp. But then again, Russell Martin won a gold glove at a time when Yadier Molina was hands down the best defensive catcher in the game.

Ethier is definitely moving better in the outfield (and on the bases) this year. But keep in mind, that everytime he makes a spectacular catch, that it would have been less spectacular had he gotten to the ball faster, as would be the case with any of the outfielders I mentioned above. In fact, I see Kemp being a gold glove caliber right fielder, but not so much in CF, where his jumps leave something to be desired.

9. RogerCraig says:

I think the Dodgers plan is for Kemp to stay in CF over the next few years, but in the short-term, I agree with Mark. I would not flip-flop Kemp and Either unless it was permanent.

10. RogerCraig says:

I dare anyone to read Plaschke’s article in The LA Times and tell me that he has a bad attitude:

I don’t think Ethier in LF is absurd. I agree with Brooklyn, Kemp in RF and HE could win a Gold Glove out there.

I used to think left field gets more work, and it’s of course true in slow pitch softball, but a recent article I read at WOWY suggests it isn’t true in MLB. In fact, this article suggested LF and RF are about the same, and traditionally you put the stronger arm in RF. I don’t know it matters which corner Kemp and Ethier play, (I put Kemp in RF) but getting Kemp out of center would probably help his legs. (there was also an article there talking about 4 man rotations with a 75 pitch limit – different topic for a different day).

Lee is 36 with leg issues. You sure about that trade?

I still don’t know that I would bring Kemp back before the All Star break. Let him get the extra week and keep him out of the All Star game itself. We are going to need him every day in the second half.

Adam Wainwright and Chad Billingsley? I get what Mark is saying. There are a number of good starters out there that are having slow first half’s this year. But trying to compare Bills directly with some of the names on that list is kind of silly. Bills is only 27 so he still has a chance at a great career. His contract is based on his success in ’80 ’09 ’10. Why he has struggled the last two years? He and the Dodgers need to get that figured out. From what I have seen, he has lost his command. He can’t find the corners, but he sure can find the middle of the strike zone. ML hitters love pounding cookies, and Chad brings a plate full every outing.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Hey, if it were permanent, then I would move Eithier to LF if Kemp were moving out of CF, but I am only talking about a few games while he gets his legs back. I just want to relieve the strain on his hammy for a few weeks and in that case, I would not move Ethier. If they are going to switch, they need a Spring Training to adjust. Otherwise, you will weaken the defense.

I also like RogerCraig\’s idea of Dee in CF if Jesmuel is a player at SS.

12. RogerCraig says:

Here’s another article on Dee – no glimpse of a bad attitude here:

13. RogerCraig says:

If the Dodgers new Draft Pick SS Valentin is as good as some think, he could be ready in a couple of years. I wonder what an outfield of Ethier in LF, Kemp in RF and Gordon is CF would look like. Gordon and Kemp would get almost anything.

I just don’t the view the switch of outfield positions as that big a deal. You catch fly balls, you back up bases, you hit your cut-off man. This isn’t Little League. These guys are all pros.

Gordon in center is a different story. He WOULD need some time out there to get it figured out. I think, with work, he could be a fantastic up the middle infielder. What he did yesterday was pretty impressive.

• Mark_Timmons says:

While I have played the outfield very little, I know that it was very tricky because the ball tails very differently in RF verses LF. If you have played both, it\’s not as difficult. However, moving from RF to LF is more difficult than many think. It\’s easier to move one spot over (Kemp to RF) than two spots (Ethier from RF to LF). It\’s a completely different look – kind of like 1b verses 3b.

Well, I have played, and coached them all. A good outfielder is good at any of the positions. The differences in reads are subtle, but the main concern is covering ground in CF. Obviously, that is where the fastest player goes as he has much more ground to cover – in ALL directions.

Infield switching, in my opinion is a different story.

15. the truth hurts says:

I think the odd man out would be Harang….send him to the pen…

I know it is tough not to send Bills there but when Bills is on he is on….when he is off, well, he is off….Hopefully the second half he can turn things around…

Youks to sign with the …….

yeah there is NO way you send Tolleson, one of our top prospects, to boston for Youkliss. They will take a fringe prospect, not one of our top 5 prospects.

Hell, I’d rather have Tolleson at 1b or 3b over the current guys!! But I do think something gets done soon for Youk or Carlos Lee.

You must not think much of any of our 3rd base options Bobby.

Seems to me, and it’s just a thought, that we might be better served waiting to see who comes available in late July. Youk would be an improvement, but at what cost? Lee would be great… IF we know he plays every day for the next two years. I don’t know he can do that, and I suspect he cannot.

We have some very good young arms in this system, and we won’t likely use them all. If we are going to let a few of them go, wouldn’t it be prudent to do it for the young thunder bat corner IFer this team desperately needs? Some teams with good talent will be sellers at the deadline. Don’t we want to be in the driver’s seat with young arms to bid for those players that could make a difference? We also have the added leverage of offering extensions. I would think a guy like David Wright might like playing in L.A.. We already talked about Ramirez. Tampa has lost three in a row – what if they go into a tail spin? And, does anyone like our top pick’s brother up in Seattle?

Anything could happen, and often does at the deadline.

• Bobby says:

Badger, totally agree we have some nice young arms, and clearly we can’t/won’t be able to use them all.

However, I’d rather use the total value of the potential of those young arms to trade for a better option than Youk! (sort of like trading the potential value of Carlos Santana in 2008 for Casey Blake, regardless of how Santana’s career has turned out)

I personally really like Tolleson, and think he’s going to be a really good one. We just can’t seem to find consistent work for him right now to really let him learn on the job. But yes, I’d definitely trade him in order to improve.

Regarding Roger’s links to the Dee Gordon articles, DITTO. The kid does have an attitude, a GOOD one.

If it’s only temporary, yeah put Kemp in left. If long term, then Kemp in RF and Ethier in LF. But permanent would require a long term solution for CF. On that we will have to wait.

Gordon to CF and Valentin to short. Probably not. First off, as Gordon matures and gains experience he’ll steady himself defensively (as is the case in the development of most young shortstops), and his off the charts range will become a huge asset. His kind of range cannot be taught.

It’s a bit premature talking about replacing Dee at short with Valentin, and I think Roger recognizes that. By the time Valentin is ready (probably not for several years, given he’s just out of H.S.) the Dodgers may have already acquired or developed a player for CF. In fact, ultimately, if he turns out to be good, Valentin may best profile at 2B, which after Ellis could become a position of need.

Regarding Gordon. It may be that he needed more seasoning coming into this year, and is being rushed. But over the long term this may turn out to be a very valuable year for him. He’s learning on the job at the big league level, and he’s also learning how to deal with adversity. In the end, his trials and tribulations this year may well speed up his development. Maybe he’ll start to get things going in the second half this year. But even if he doesn’t, by next year we’re likely to see a more polished player, who will also probably be at least a bit stronger by reason of natural physical maturity, and able to drive more balls down the lines and into the gaps. He occasionally shows a little pop in his bat, and that should only grow with the passage of time. And it may even help with his bunting (which experience and hard work will also improve), because infielders may find that they can’t play in as far as they do now if they know he might be more likely to drive the ball through the infield.

As for whom the Dodgers might acquire between now and the trade deadline, at this point I’d just rather wait and see. It depends on a lot of factors out of the Dodgers’ control, and a lot may change between now and July 31st.

I’m pretty busy right now, so I admit that I didn’t pay much attention to Mark’s comparison of Bills to those other pitchers (sorry Mark). But having said that, I agree with Jae, who said:

“I don’t think Mark is a fan of Billingsley but all he said was that Billingsley is better than those guys right now, and he is right! I understand why he gets pissed when people don’t read.”

Reading is fundamental. But then again, we all probably get a bit lazy at times along those lines.

This link from MSTI, where Mike Petriello notes that even Steve Lyons is publicly bashing Uribe.

Yes, enough is enough. Uribe has got to go. And maybe his not being in today’s lineup is a signal that he won’t be around much longer. Then again, maybe not.

19. Jae says:

Damn rookie at 2B is too stupid to know how to use his sunglasses. DFA him!

Looks like this afternoon game is going to be a L-o-n-g afternoon.

I could see it coming……. Richards didn’t throw Rivera one ball over the plate, Rivera fought off two inside fastballs, but drew the walk… and Loney swings at the first pitch, out of the strike zone btw, and GIDP.

He is working his way off this team. Come on James. Time to wake up dude.

22. Mike Dixon says:

Why is Loney still on the team….He was a lost cause weeks ago, now this is just brutal……Hope Ned has Youlk in uniform by the end of the day….

23. Mike Dixon says:

Never mind he is off to Chicago…I’d take Carlos Lee next…..gotta do something now though…..

24. jerry says:

some one changed lonely s swing..go back to the swing you had in the minors..

25. ken says:

The Dodgers still need a long true reliever and Bills could fit that role since he usually goes through the line up well at least once. Besides the Dodger are usually way behind when they need a long reliever anyway.

Put Kemp in CF, tape his leg, and tell the pitcher not to have an attitude problem when Kemp does not catch the next triple.

Signing Seager is the first move that the Dodgers need to do. He can replace YouK in 1-2 years. I still prefer Headley.

Loney is still needed for the rest of the 2012 for his defense. Maybe next year, when the infielders learn to throw better to first base, then the Dodgers can hire a bat to play 1B.

Jesmeul will be the 2B, Seager at 3B, and Dee Dee at SS in 2015.

Bill – My last comment yesterday about Dee Dee was a joke.

I still would pinch hit for Dee Dee in the 8th and 9th inning when the Dodgers need a sacrifice bunt.

For Zach Stewart and a utility player?

Damn. We must have really not wanted him.

Windblown getting loose. How can this guy’s ERA be below 3? Every time I see him something bad seems to happen.

Giants lose, Dodgers lose.

29. ken says:

“What do I do? What do I do?
    Lindblum has an ERA of infinity for the last week and Coffey has not allowed an earned run during June.
    I guess I will bring in Lindblum and see how he does because that is what I always do.
    He got the first batter out
    He got the second batter out. I guess I was right!
    He walked the tird batter.
    He hit the fourth batter.
    Take him out leave him in. What should I do?
    I will pass the buck and send Honeybutt to the mound.
    He usually can straighten out the pitcher’s motion in 2-3 days of watching films.
    I can’t bring in Coffey because I do not believe that Honeybutt
    has fixed his deliver yet.
    Why did Ned even sign this guy?
    Oh Sh..! 2 more runs.”
    I should have brought in Coffey.

What is going on in Donnie T-Balls Head?

30. ken says:

“Should I trade for Youk or just keep Uribe? I still like Uribe. I think that he can still turn the season around. He does have a pretty good glove and that is what is really important.

Maybe if I offer two players and offer to pay $2.5 mil of Youk’s salary they might give us Youk. Magic, can I have some money? I want to get a new third baseman.”

“No we can’t give you any money until after we sign our new draft picks.”

“They are kind of acting like McCheap so I better come up with a new plan”

Maybe if I offer them Coffey, Donnie never lets him pitch anyway, and Kennedy, none of the fans want him around anyway (although I think that he was one of my better signings in the off season, and they give us enough money so we can still afford to sign Seager. I will ask for $5.5 mil in return and therefore Youk will only cost $1.7 mil for the rest of the year.”

“Crap. The White sox got Youk for a worse deal than what I was offering. Why won’t anyone trade with me?” Oh Well, Uribe is better than Youk anyway”

I keep getting block out on sending in even short messages . . . what is up with this Mark?

32. RogerCraig says:

I have no problems. Operator error? ;)

Badger is right. Hold onto the young pitching in case something really interesting becomes available at the trade deadline. And if it doesn’t we still have those chips if we want to use them in a deal over the winter. Or, if free agency proves fruitful, we might be able to use some of that young pitching ourselves, or be able to afford to trade away a veteran or two.

By the way. Although Lindblom has for the most part been good this year, I actually like Tolleson better. He’s got better stuff, and it seems to me that his problems so far are mostly due to extreme inactivity, which creates little opportunity for him to get into any kind of groove, and shake off the rookie jitters. Throws 92-96, and has what appears to be a nasty slider. So for me, Lindblom is a chip for a deal this summer.

In any case, if the Dodgers can’t score, they’re not going to win. We need Kemp back (but he should probably wait until after the All-Star break), and upgrades at the corner infield spots and LF. Tall order, so I’ll take 2 out of 3. And, I almost forgot, we need Mark Ellis back as well.

Elian Herrera may be coming back to earth. Maybe a nice utility player, but not likely much more, if even that.

Ken, are you aware that Corey Seager is out of high school? I know his brother made a quick jump to the majors, but he was drafted out of college. I think 1-2 years for Corey is a bit optimistic. Let’s get him signed, and see what he does.

By the way, under the new CBA teams are limited in how much they can spend without incurring cash penalties and/or loss of draft picks. I don’t think paying a tax for going over their assigned allotment is a problem for the Dodgers, but the loss of draft picks likely is. Also, beginning July 2nd international signings will also come under the new CBA, which also restricts what teams can spend. Figures, now that the Dodgers have some money, they’re going to be limited in what they spend by new rules. Of course, the same rules apply to the other 29 teams. If they sign an international player before July 2nd, there are no limits. Interesting to see if the Dodgers do anything from now thru July 1.

I was just looking at the 2009 draft. Mike Trout was the 25th pick taken that year. I wonder why almost everyone passed on that ridiculous talent? Perhaps there were signability concerns and Anaheim overpaid for him? (of course, he’s worth whatever he paid)

Hopefully for us this Saeger kid is the same way, and pushes his way up here by 2014/2015!!

Seager will get signed. I guess nobody was interested in my question about his brother. They would look good in the same infield. Of course, Kyle is 6 years older, so, he could be gone by the time this kid gets here. We won’t see him for at least 3 years, maybe more.

Watched Arizona again today. They are starting to hit, and when they do, they are a scary bunch. Miley looks as good, or better, than Clayton Kershaw this year. I think they are a better team than the midgets. I think they know it too. Look out for the snakes.

I am interested in following this kid Justin Chigbogu. He is from the small town in Missouri, Raytown, I lived in until I was 11. He signed and is playing, hitting .667 with an OPS of 5.000. I am not kidding. Of course, he only has 3 at bats. Joey Curletta, another big kid I am going to follow is 0 for 5. It’s in the AZ Rookie League. Valentin is 2 for 12.

Tough schedule. Gonna be interesting.

36. Dave says:

Youkilis – was an allstar last year. Chi Sox got him for nothing (see Stewart’s #s on the link below) plus a utility player?

I was afraid the Dodgers would have to trade too much talent, but after what the other Sox had to trade, I am a little dumbfounded. Maybe Youk made it clear he wouldn’t go to the Dodgers? He is from Cincinnati, so Boston to Chicago may have been the Red Sox way of looking after him and his possible desire to stay closer to home while conveniently moving him so Middlebrooks could be their 3B man.
    I trust (hope) new ownership stood their ground and didn’t allow their pockets to be picked.

Maybe the Dodgers have other things in the fire, and don’t want to use their chips for a player they may not be convinced is too much of a risk to be counted on. Who knows, maybe they’re deep into talks with Miami for Hanley Ramirez. I can dream, can’t I?

Also, if the package the White Sox offered was weak, then what do you think was offered by the other teams mentioned in connection with Youkilis?

Badger, I’d probably be interested in Kyle Saeger, but I’d rather have Hanley.

Me too Brooklyn. But, Seagar is mentioned in some fantasy leagues, has 10 HR and 45 ribbies and is projected as a possilbe .280 hitter. Better than what we have there, that’s for sure.

I think you may be right about the team just lying low for now with other things in the fire. Obviously they weren’t that interested in Youkilis, or he wasn’t that interested in us. They must have other plans for 3rd base, or maybe they are content to let Uribe’s contract wash out. He is only owed another $12 million. Sheesh.

Since I have no idea what else might be going on right now, I am still waiting to see what teams are sellers come late July. So much could happen between now and then.

I just read Trevor Bauer is going to make his ML debut on Thursday. I’ll watch and let you know. Kid has closer stuff, 116 K’s in 93 IP in the minors. Blew right through AA and AAA. 2.8 ERA at Reno, 56 K’s in 44 innings. He does walk a lot, as his sinker dives into the dirt. Man, the dbacks have some really good young arms in their system. They have 3 A pitching prospects right now, and maybe a couple more to come. Kevin Towers, like him or hate him, he knows what he is doing.

Badger, your D-Back are coming . . . moving to first place — do we see a three way race . . . as long as the Dodgers do not fall 10 or 20 games out of first place !!!!

41. ken says:

Forget about the rotation, revamp the fielding.

Last year the Dodgers had 85 errors and were 5th in MLB in fielding percentage.

Now they have fallen to 19th and are on pace for 100 errors.

Last year Gordon lead the Dodgers with 10 errors in only 54 games.
    Miles had 10 erros in 134 games and Carroll had 9 errors in 147 games.

This year Gordon already has 13 errors. What is the over/under for 30 errors this year?

No other player has more than 5 errors.
    No other starter has more than 4 errors.

Lets have infield practice every day for a month! Of course one of the players will not make it because they are at bunting prctice.

I’ll take Gordon’s errors. That guy covers more ground than a Land Rover. He’ll be a great SS one day. Not THIS day, but….. some day.

43. Gionfriddo says:

Badger, I agree with you.. anybody who thinks Gordon was not going to experience growing pains and a stiff learning curve is kidding themselves… Gordon will continue to get better and mature as the season unfolds.. his average will be ugly this year but in the years to come if he hits .260 to .275 we are looking at 50 to 75 sb’s…. and for those that propose “he needs to learn at AAA” or bring up someone else to play short— there is NO ONE else to bring up… Lemmerman is at AA and is not close to Gordon in ability…

Yep, ‘friddo, we don’t have anyone in our system that can do what Gordon does. It’s a learning year for him. I agree with you that he will grow into the position. And, I think he has what it takes to be a leader on this team. In 3-5 years, I think he will be an All Star.