Reinforcements Needed, Like Now

The Dodgers have dramatically exceeded expectations this year.  They are in first place in the NL West and still have the best record in the National League.  They have accomplished this mostly without the best player in the National League, without one of their starting pitchers and their second baseman who has been the foundation of the infield.  Additionally, they have put up the best record in the NL with a green rookie shortstop who is getting on-the-job training, and under-performing 1B, and with  a 3B who is utterly useless.

What has brought all of this about starts with Don Mattingly, the manager, who has the players backs and has instituted a “can do” attitude in the team.  This is a Band of Brothers and the locker room is the best I can remember.  The scrubs have played their hearts out.  They are a bunch of Junkyard Dogs.

They are tired.  They can’t continue to do what they have been doing and they know it.  It was time for Guggs and Company to step up and send in the Cavalry  and they failed.  Flush with cash and promise, Dodger Management could have sent a message that “We will do anything we can to win, including taking a risk of an aging third-baseman who may or may not be a difference maker… but we are sure going to try.

Instead, the Dodgers whiffed on Kevin Youkilis, and the team looked totally deflated last night.  I shut the TV off after the first inning, even though Barry Zito has had a 10.00+ ERA over the past several games.  I knew by their body language that they were beat… everyone except the little child, Dee Gordon who got on base three times.  In case you haven’t read TJ Simers article on Dee, I would encourage you to do so.  Simers is almost human.  Who knew?

Ned says the Dodgers need pitching.  If you can’t score runs, you don’t need more pitchers.  You need more hitters, moron!  The Dodgers have averaged 2.1 runs per game the last nine games. Explain how another pitcher fixes that!

The Dodgers need more hitting.  Kevin Youkilis may not have been the second coming, but the Dodgers could have had him and they chose to save the money and a low-grade prospect.  I don’t know about you, but I feel a lack of commitment right here, right now. and so do the Junkyard Dogs.  They are panting as we speak.  If Youk lights it up in Chi-town (like I think he will do), this is an indictment of current management.  It would have cost some money and a prospect and might have helped re-energize the Junkyard Dogs.  FAIL!

Now, it’s up to Clayton to stop the bleeding – he might have to pitch the game of his life tonight, if the Dodgers expect to have a chance.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report -6/25/12

18 Responses to “Reinforcements Needed, Like Now”

1. Gregg33 says:

Signing Youk would have been intriguing and probably would have happen under the last ownership. I think Magic and his boys saw this as another Uribe signing…an aging and declining veteran with medical issues. We are looking for a bigger fish in the pond with much bigger upside. My hunch is that this team will look much different by filling up a few holes in the upcoming weeks before the deadline.

I agree with Greg. It kills me however. If we would have signed Youk everyone would be saying it was the worst signing in the history of the Dodgers. And now that we didn’t, people are crying because we didn’t. I love this site but it cracks me up with all the crying. Relax people lets give new management a chance to do something good for a change.

3. Gionfriddo says:

I seriously wonder if Kasten is watching this train wreck .. Take Ned out of the equation, Kasten said the baseball end of the operation stops @ his desk when Guggenheim took over … Yes, I know it’s “early” and with the extra wild card, dynamics have changed regarding deals.. However, u DON’T have to make a deal 36 days before the deadline to mix things up—– 1. DFA Kennedy & bring up Castellanos– the kid is playing 2B @ Alb. so bring him up & let him split time with DeJesus @2B… 2. DFA Uribe & bring up Josh Fields
    and let him split time @3rd w/Hairston, Herrera.. Minor tweaks, I know, but any more AND THAT’S ONE AT BAT from here on out given to Kennedy & Uribe is in effect giving the other teams free outs…

Excellent article by Simers on Dee Gordon. I encourage those on this board who feel Dee has a bad attitude to read it.

Can’t wait till we make a big move! Uribe and Loney looked like utter trash last night (I know, what else is new)

5. Kevin says:

I disagree we do need more pitching and that was never more evident than last night. After Kershaw and Capuano we got nada and we can’t expect Cap to keep up his current pace all season long. He’s a nice number 3 but we need someone to stick between him and Kershaw or it’s not going to matter how many bats we pick up.

We will have Ellis and Kemp back within a few weeks and we aren’t going to pick up a bat even close to Kemp’s caliber. I think if we pick up a solid #2 starter and make a few tweaks (3rd base and/or 1st base) to the lineup we will be fine.

I agree with most of you here. I think the BIG PICTURE plans are wait this season out. Fill whatever holes we can to stay in contention and make a run. The orginization (Stan, Magic, Ned, etc.) want a full offseason to plan , pool resources and hit 2013 full throttle.

That doesn’t mean mailing this season in! It just would be foolish to package prospects like Lee, Tolleson, Castellanos, etc for a Greinke, Hamel, or (insert big name) when the player can be had as a free agent and still have the prospects to fill other holes. A few years from now we could have Hamel, Lee, & Grenke backing up Kershaw in the rotation! Why not?

I have to believe there is a run in this team! I believe a move will be made…… I hope sooner than later!

7. ken says:

Amen

3 guys hitting over .211 for the last week. Maybe Joey C. can be the batting coach for the summer. His swing reminds me of King Albert. Badger – Nice video find.

Anyone want to bet whether or not Gordon actually weighs less than 145 pounds? I will take the under.

When I say that Gordon has an attitude problem I am giving him a compliment because if he does not have an attitude problem then the is just a bad player and the Dodgers should draft more SS. Oh yea they just drafted 2 this year.

Swinging at pitches at eye level.
    Can’t bunt
    Not even bending at the knees and/or waist to bunt.
    Can’t bunt
    Still throwing with incorrect form to first base.
    Can’t bunt
    Try to pull too many pitches.
    And did I say “Can’t bunt”

Ok you have me convinced that he does not have an attitude problem he just is incompetent. Besides if you really understood “Murphy’s Law” then you know that when you become impatient the thing that you where waiting for happens. :)

DR is right. You must balance the short term with the long term.
    The wrong kind of stimulus will stimulate the team in the short term but hurt the team in the long run.

I hope that Elis is not rushed back too soon in lieu of a trade.

I am elated someone in our organization has more brains than those of you who wanted to obtain a .233 hitter as your fix. What an idiotic presumption.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Using that same rationale, means you would not have traded for Albert Pujols when he was hitting a buck ninety?

9. quasimodo says:

a 5 pitch walk on a pitcher batting less than a buck, a 3rd baseman who should only bunt because those weak pop-ups do zilch to advance runners and a pinch hitter that should of called in sick….terminally! pitiful and poison. zito’s work wasn’t great but sadly good enough. tired? more like bored

10. quasimodo says:

dee gordon is a future hall of famer

Maury Wills is still not in the Hall of Fame . . . and Gordon has a long way to go to be better than Wills.

12. baseballin84 says:

they need to call up josh fields already. he’s rakin’ in AAA. call up van slyke and let him play 1B. im just not convinced on loney, uribe and rivera. and f*** tj simers.

Do-Do-do-do-do-Do-Do-do-do-do something . . . scooby dooby doo

Ned-ned-ned . . . neddie gettie soon

Mark said:

“At the beginning of the season, they played over their heads… now they are in over their heads.

They are tired. They can’t continue to do what they have been doing and they know it.”

Yep. I don’t know if they are actually tired, but the point is, they came out hot and now are settling down to what it is they are really capable of doing.

I looked it up, Gordon does indeed lead the Majors in skinny. So… he has that going for him. I like him. I don’t look at shortstop as a real problem for this team. Third base is. Left field could be better. I hope Ellis returns and plays as well as he started. We need it. And, we got this Loney balloon floating around at ground level. Everyone keeps waiting for the drugs to wear off with this guy, but, he just hangs there hitting .250.

I would take another pitcher now if that’s all we could get. You can never have too much pitching. We still don’t know who will come available at the deadline, so, patience. If nobody is there, we just might have to wait until 2013. I was prepared to do that in the Spring. Then this ridiculously good start happened. Messed me up.

Great article on Dee. I’ve liked the talent and the personality from the beginning. Maybe it’ll take some time, but he’s going to be a good one.

Not acquiring Youkilis doesn’t tell me anything about management. I’m convinced that they’re committed to building a championship team, but I think they’ll do it their own way, with no thought of trying to win the approval of a bunch of bloggers. Maybe they didn’t think Youkilis was going to turn it around, or maybe they didn’t want to surrender players they may use in a larger package to get something better. We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, so really, any opinions any of us may have are probably baseless.

New ownership took over on May 1, not exactly the best time of year to start building a baseball team. Free agency isn’t until after the season, and trades are probably more difficult in a year where a second wildcard has been added, and there are probably, at least at this point, less sellers. I need to see this ownership go through a full cycle before becoming judgmental.

I don’t know if this team has it within them to turn things back around, but I also know that it’s darkest before the dawn. I believe it was 2006 when the Dodgers lost something like 14 of 15 going into the All-Star break, and followed that by winning 18 of 19. Not saying that’s going to happen again, and I certainly recognize this team’s weaknesses. But let’s try to keep our heads. After all, if the players start to think like some of us here, this team is lost. Don’t know what it will be, but I’m guessing that at some point between now and the trade deadline we will see some reinforcements. And on top of that, Kemp and Ellis will hopefully return healthy and give us solid second halves. I don’t know about some of you, but I don’t plan on putting any nails in any coffin.

If they paid his salary they could have had him for a song.

Youk is the same age as Pujols. Lance Berkman was washed up before the Cards took a chance on him. If you overpay by a half billion for the team, why not pay $5 mil for a player who COULD make a difference?

1. [...] more: Reinforcements Needed, Like Now Tagged dodger, dogs, don, james loney, juan uribe, mark timmons, player, prospect, record, [...]