Rant & Rave Wednesday

• James Loney is now a late-inning defensive specialist as a result of failure to perform with a foreign object (baseball bat) in his hand.  It’s a sad story and the chapter needs to be closed with a trade or a DFA… or maybe this is a wake-up call?
  • The long and the short of it is that Chad Billingsley out-pitched Cliff Lee – pure and simple!  If he can continue that type of pitching, I’m a believer.
  • Clayton Kershaw has plantar fasciitis, which may explain his “less than Clayton” pitching the last couple of outings.  Memo:  Dude is still pretty good.
  • Elian “Freaking” Herrera is a player and can play the hot corner…. maybe not a regular, but a player nevertheless.  He was the co-star last night.
  • Can the Dodgers get anything for Loney?  I doubt it.
  • Javy Guerra’s knee undoubtedly affected his pitching mechanics.  After surgery, he’ll be out for about 6 weeks, but should be a better pitcher upon his return.
  • Will Guerrier pitch anymore this year?  I have my doubts.
  • I love Kenley Jansen’s demeanor on the mound.  He’s definitely not like J-Brox.
  • I don’t get Mattingly’s lineups lately!  I really don’t.
  • Alex Castellanos still look like a hitter to me.
  • Josh Lindblom has been rock solid all year.
  • Juan Uribe getting ready for a re-hab assignment, meaning he’s about a week away from joining the active roster.
  • I am not excited that Matt Kemp was named captain of the NL Home Run Derby Team.
  • Alex Angert of MLB.com has a nice piece on LH reliever Steven Rodriguez, whom Logan White projects as coming to the majors as soon as next season.
  • John Ely pitch 6.2 innings last night, allowed 5 hits and no runs while striking out 8 and walking 1.
  • Allen Webster pitched 5 innings, allowing 1 hit and 3 earned runs while walking only 2.  Unless that’s a typo, that is difficult to do.

31 Responses to “Rant & Rave Wednesday”

I had “plantar fasciitis” once. Had to ice the bottom of my feet several times a day.

Lasted for months. I am sure the medical team with the Dodgers have him with the latest approaches — so he can at least get to the ice box when he needs tooooo.

2. ken says:

I really like this year’s draft selections.

Loney is absolutely a platoon player. Nothing wrong with that says the 1950 Yankees!

Kershaw is still ahead of where he was last year on this date. He is performing at 89.4% of last year which is still an ACE.

On some days the pitching makes up for Donnie’s lineups.

Casty should have batted 3rd and Rivera 5th last night.

Uribe should be the Super Sub playing 4 days a week, 2B SS & 3B resting the kids who are not used to the longer 162 game, plus playoffs!, season. But you know Donnie will start him at 3B the day that he returns.

Maybe Ely can be the long reliever that the Dodgers need. I prefer a guy who can pitch 4 innings twice a week with an ERA of 5.00 in mop up games than Wright who might pitch 2 innings twice a week with an ERA of 6.00.

The Dodges now have 3 candidtas in AAA and AA who can replace Coffey and/or Wright and be true long relievers during the dog days of summer.

I thought that we ranted and raved everyday. :)

We rant and rave every day.

I too like this year’s draft picks.

Donnie is doing what he thinks he needs to do to root out players that can make a difference. I still put Loney in at 1b. His June numbers over the years says so.

This is a scrappy team. I like ‘em. Don’t care much for the Uribe aspect of it, but, who knows, maybe he steps in and gets some of his one year wonder mojo back by playing with so many that are younger than him.

4. Gonzo says:

When Gwynn failed to bunt Treanor over I was livid. I almost punched my TV after he laid down that awful bunt. Like I alwyas say, better lucky than good.

Mark, Bils did not outpitch Lee. Lee had a clinic for 7.2 innings. Bils was OK and the PHI batters were terrible. The blame for the loss goes to Charlie Manuel, who is one of my favorite managers. With a one run lead and Lee sitting on 100 pitches why not have someone warming up in the pen? Anyhow, I’ll take it.

Herrera proving he deserves a shot to be on the big club permanently. Its refreshing to see young kids playing with pride and hustling. Hope Mattingly sees this.

Loney and prospects for Justin Upton. They both need a change of scenery & Loney has alway hit well in Arizona.

You’re right Bill. Loney does hit well in Chase. But then, so does Upton. Upton is 24 and his best years are still a few out. I doubt the Dbacks would let us have him for a guy like Loney. The place for Loney may be back in Texas. I think he could hit well in that park. There won’t be much coming back for him though.

How about Upton’s brother? B.J. is only 27 and he too needs a change of scenery. He is decent, not great, CFer, (his numbers have gotten better the last two years) runs well, has a just below avg. OPS for a CFer. Maybe playing in the same division as his brother would light a fire under him? Maybe not.

7. Bball says:

I think it would take alot to get j upton. Now don’t kill me for this but how about ethier straight up for upton. Ethier is 30 and gonna go down in a few years. J upton I believe has huge upside I think. And then go out and get bj as free agent or via trade. An outfield of kemp upton and upton. I like that a whole freaken bunch.

It’s probably a bit early to be hitting Castellanos in the 3 spot, especially against a crafty pitcher like Lee. Not the easiest guy for young, inexperienced players to face.

Bills did well. Question is, can he do so consistently? Only time will tell. And quite frankly, as currently constituted, the Philly lineup doesn’t amount to much.

I’m sure the Dodgers could get something for Loney. And keep in mind, that he could also be packaged in a multi-player deal.

As for Uribe, maybe the Dodgers will get lucky and he’ll get hurt in his rehab assignment.

I doubt if the D-Backs would trade the much younger Upton straight up for Ethier, even though the latter is from Arizona. Upton has a huge upside, and quite frankly, at this stage he’s a lot cheaper than Ethier.

Interesting idea Bball.

Ethier will probably make much more than Upton with his next contract, but it could be close. Upton makes only 6.75M this year, but it goes up to 14.25M for the next two years. Who knows what Ethier will make on his next FA contract. I would think the Dodgers want to extend him, but going home to Arizona might appeal to him. Ethier hits pretty well down there. But, I would think Arizona wants to eventually make Upton the center piece of their team.

11. Anonymous says:

No way in hell the Dbacks bite on that trade.

Upton who has had 1 good year, and has looked like he’s regressed this year?

Upton who looks like one of those talented head cases? Do we really need more guys with potential and what if’s, when we already have the league leader in RBI???

No way I trade Ethier for Upton. That does not improve us one bit. Championship teams and championship franchises add pieces, not step backwards by trading sure things for what if’s

13. Bball says:

So bobby ur convinced ethier is a sure thing ok. Don’t get me wronge love ethier but upton is and will be for years to come a better player then ethier. I’m not wishing ethier away but I’m not convinced that ethier is a sure thing. I’m a little surprised that u do

Upton is 24 years old. Ethier is 30.

Personally I would do that trade. I have had a feeling Ethier was on his way outta here for some time.

But I agree that the dbacks likely would not do it.

I still say Ethier to Boston for 3 blue chippers might be a good deal for the Dodgers. The Red Sox need a RFer and Ethier could win a batting title in Boston. He could hit that wall like Boggs did.

I am not sure Ethier comes back next year but I am not concinced he is traded either. At least not unless is is part of a blockbuster. If the Dodgers can make a championship run wouldn’t it be nice to have Ethier and Kemp be a major part of it?

Something about Clayton’s foot bothers me. I have no idea if it is more than what they are saying but something smells here. Also if there is something wrong with his lower body they had better shut the kid down! Lower body trouble leads to elbow shoulder problems everytime!! Let’s hope it is only his foot.

The teams puruit of another arm interests me. IF We can aquire another pitcher it may just increase the chance we move a guy like Bills in the pursuit of a bat. Or maybe I am dreaming. I expect something to happen within the month. Some dominos have to start falling, right?

16. Joe says:

No way the D-backs trade Justin Upton to an in division rival at this point. Remember Kemp had a good year in 09 then regressed in 10 then took off again the next year. I could see his brother B.J. get traded, he has treaded water for a while now and hasn’t been good as what they thought he could be. It is maddening watching Bills because he pitched like a #2 starter last night but then follows it up looking like a #5 starter then next time. Still no consistency from him as I hope he figures it out. I love Herrara so far, reminds me of Darrell Thomas of the early 80′s. I was too young to see him play so I am not talking about style, just a super utility guy who can play just about anywhere..

Why didn’t Capuano tag up and score on the fly ball hit to Juan Pierre in Left Field? That was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

18. the truths hurts says:

that 5 minute delay for fontenot to get to the plate was some bull…

19. the truths hurts says:

WHAT A GAME!!!!

7 for 35 (Loney with 2 of the 7) and 7 walks an an unearned for the win. Capuano didn’t pitch particularly well, but he gets the W.

I’ll take it.

More smoke, more mirrors please.

21. Bball says:

Wife just delivered the newest dodgers fan. A healthy baby boy named Vin Estes. Named after the greatest dodger of all. Can’t wait to share memories with him at dodgers stadium. Go blue

22. ken says:

Five or more runs = win
    Still the best!
    Time for Ethier to rest a few days in order to get out of his slump.

Congrats Bball!

Congratulations Bball!

Awesome.

Congrats Bball, Maybe a future Dodger player.

Vin Estes Bball.

That’s Major League.

Which round did Vin Estes get picked? Way to go . . .

Which round did Vin Estes get picked? Way to go . . .