Kempless Dodgers Do It Again – Next Man Up!

With scrubbs, duds, wanna-be’s, never were’s, career minor leaguers, castoff pitchers, raw rookies and junkyard dogs, the Dodgers keep pulling wins out of their butts, and I like it.  I like it a lot!  These guys have a never-say-die attitude and simply believe they are going to win.  A lot of the credit has to go to Don Mattingly who has demonstrated that he has their backs and is passionate about them.  That attitude is contagious!

Without Matt Kemp, the Dodgers beat the Phillies on the road for the third straight game.  Chris “There’s No Way He Will Win 20 Games” Capuano improved to 8-2 and should be an All-Star for the second time in his career.  He’s on track to win at least 20.  Never doubt me again!  ;)

It’s fun watching Dee Gordon grow up.  He is slowing down just a big and making plays in the field that few other short-stops make and he is getting the big hit.  That level of talent and work ethic never fails.  We are going to enjoy watching him play more everyday.

Like Badger predicted, James Loney is making some noise with the bat… finally!  Let’s not forget Tony Gwynn, Jr. who is playing a stellar CF and hitting while taking Matty’s place.

Kenley Jansen struggled last night to get the win and was clearly tired, but he willed himself to close it out unlike a former closer the Dodgers once had.  Kenley needs two days off after pitching so much and pitching three days in a row.  I was uncomfortable with leaving him in, but it worked out.

Notes of Note:

• Justin Upton of the D’Backs is unhappy over his current benching and saying so.  There is no way I give up Andre Ethier for him.  The Dodgers want to re-sign Ethier, but probably a 5-6 year deal and he probably wants a longer one.  I think he will be re-signed.
  • Jordon Hershiser was drafted by the Dodgers.  Story HERE.
  • I like the Dodgers draft – there are some interesting players.  Now, it wait and see.  I laugh my butt off when is read stuff like “he has a projectable blah, blah, blah” – project this!  You can project anything.  It’s called “guessing.” It’s a crap shoot because you never know the size of the kids heart and that’s all the difference.  I have learned to just enjoy the process.  I like the looks of the draft… now we’ll see…
  • I would not be surprised if the Dodgers elected to DL Clayton Kershaw retroactive to his last start just to give his plantar fasciitis a rest.  He could miss two starts.  Next man up!
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6-6-12

15 Responses to “Kempless Dodgers Do It Again – Next Man Up!”

1. ken says:

PF, if bad, can put a player on the DL for a month.

The Dodgers need more practice, they are now in the bottom half of MLB in fielding. oops!

In spite of all of negative things that we rightfully point out we are still all very happy that the Dodgers are the best team in baseball, all of the other teams that were good in May are slumping, and the Dodgers are now the only team above .600.

NL West run differential
    LAD +36
    SF +7
    AZ -4
    CO -20
    SD -63

Hey Peter only a moron would buy the Padres.

Sweep?

It’s amazing, I’ll admit it. They just keep finding ways to do it, even when the starting pitching doesn’t get the job done. And if Capuano can win by giving up 4 earned in only 5 innings of work, then he by gosh could win 20.I am not going to say I doubt it anymore. All things are possible.

I agree with you about Gordon. It is fun to watch what he can do on a baseball field. He still needs to add a BB when he only gets 1 hit.

But, I find myself disagreeing with you about Upton. As you know, I live down here and go to dbacks ST and at least 4 games a year. I can tell you from watching him that Upton has gifts, and can do things on a baseball field that Ethier can only dream about. He is only 24 and has a 6 year career OPS that matches Ethier’s at age 30. Upton’s HR and RBI numbers at age 24 Ethier didn’t get until age 29. What this kid could do by the time he is Ethier’s age could very well be astonishing. I have been thinking about this since Bball brought it up, and though I still say they wouldn’t do it, I would definitely ask them. Pay Upton a long term contract that would keep he and Kemp in the same outfield for the next 7 years, grab Justin’s brother B.J., put him in center, and you have an outfield they could be talking about for decades.

Jansen needs some rest and a change up. Watching him pitch to.. forget who it was he ended up hitting on a 3-2 pitch….. he threw him like 6 straight heaters that the guy fouled off. If in the sequence he would have thrown a change up at the ankles, that guy would have screwed himself into the ground going after it. It’s my opinion that every pitcher with 94 mph gas should also have an 84 mph change up. We can all recall what Gagne did with his.

I agree about the draft. Everyone we get with the top few picks looks damn good on paper. So do a hundred other players. Only a few every year will make it and stick. Having said that, I just have a feeling…. I guess you could say I am ‘projecting’ ….. now that the bad juju of McCourt has finally, mercifully, left the hallways of Dodger Stadium, good things are going to start happening for the Dodgers. Even a group of players like the ones Donnie has now can win ballgames. And I am going to watch the newly drafted players with much interest. I think Seager is going to be very good, Garcia and Rodgriquez will both skip through the system and be ready in 2 years and I like the looks of Arizona high schooler Joey Curletta. He has some thunder in his bat that this organization hasn’t seen for a while. He is 6’4″, 230 pounds and a very good athlete. He is something of a legend down here. Check this out:

The skies are Blue again. Good things are going to continue to happen for the Dodgers, and all Dodger fans.

No update yet on Jorge Soler yet it seems.

Where is everybody?

They are doing it again. This time without Ethier and Ellis. Rivera, Hairston and Loney in the middle of the lineup and they got 8.

OK, Castellanos is playing his way back to the minors. That’s actually good to know. One less second baseman in the mix.

Tolleson in for the 9th.

Tolleson debut WOW! 8 pitches. Two walks. Awesome!!!

Amazing. this was supposed to be June Gloom road trip and yet we go in and sweep Philly without Kemp (including beating Lee and Hamels).

I’m stunned, yet I guess I shouldn’t be!

Tolleson looked like a kid freaked out by the big show. Hopefully he gets another chance tomorrow to get his nerves out of the way. However, despite thowing so many balls, he definitely had some heat on his pitches!

Tolleson is better than that I know! But damn, That was a brutal beginning. Donnie did him a HUGE favor by not letting that get out of hand and dragging him back onto the porch! hahaha

A sweep is great anyday anywhere but this Philly team aint exactly a measuring stick for greatness. They are destroyed by injuries and a couple of these games could have gone either way. That said it was great to see our B-squad keep fighting and pull these games out.

HOW SWEEP IT IS!!!

Lets sweep in Seattle too, I want to see us 20 games over .500!!

8. ken says:

Unfortunately Casty has to go back to AAA until we know if Uribe can play for a month and only then can the Dodgers let Kennedy. Kennedy must stay until Uribe is good for a month. :(

In the straight up battle between Wright and Tolleson the Wright man won this time.

5 runs = win!

Back to work.

9. jerry says:

if honeycutt is such a great coach..then why cant he ever teach someone a new pitch. he couldnt teach broxton a new pitch..and cant teach jensen a new pitch. need some comments on that

I am impressed. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we trailed in every game but came back and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Very impressive and much needed after the zombie walk against the team who had last seasons MVP on it.
    I’m not sure if it was Donnies benching of him or Marks call for his head but Loney has at least for the moment pulled his head out. We should listen to Badger more.

We should listen to Badger more often I meant to say

Mark, still no edit button after all these years?

Strange scheduling for the Dodgers. At Rockies, at Phillies at Seattle and home against the Angels – all without a break. From Philly to Seattle without a day off?

Nope Michael, no edit button here. Hasn’t been, isn’t, won’t be one. Get it right the first time or come back and splain why.

A sweep is a sweep, but, Romey is right, this Philly team is a shell of what it is supposed to be. Good time to be back there playing them.

Gameday had Tolleson’s pitches very close, and some actually in the strike zone. Don’t know how accurate Gameday is though. He’ll figure it out.

This is weird. The Dodgers, without Kemp and Ethier, should show some kind of let down. It just didn’t happen. Will this keep up?

13. Kevin says:

Jerry…..Jansen doesn’t need another pitch (yet). When you have a cutting fastball that you can throw 92-96 with movement you throw it every time until the hitters prove they can hit it. Just ask Mariano Rivera. For the last two years the league hasn’t hit Jansen much. Last night was his third night pitching in a row so I’m guessing he was tired which resulted in less movement than normal. Also he does have a change up which I’ve seen him throw a few times but I don’t think he’s that comfortable with it yet. Remember this guy is a converted catcher and is still learning how to pitch. At some point I think he will try to master his change up but you don’t mess with that during the season. Just my two cents.

Didn’t Kershaw develop his slider and change under Honeycutt? And Broxton didn’t need a new pitch, he just needed for his slider to maintain the bite it had when he was having success. His velocity also dropped. It wasn’t Honeycutt. It was Torre abuse.

I’m going to assume that we didn’t see Tolleson’s entire repertoire, and that he throws more than a 94-95 mph fastball. Because if that’s all he throws he’ll get lit up like the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center. I’m guessing it was a case of nerves, and perhaps lack of recent work. For now, I have no opinion.

I was a bit concerned about the number of pitches Jansen was allowed to throw on his third consecutive day of work. I believe he missed time last year with bursitis, and may have had a flare up earlier this year, or during the spring. He’s too valuable to take any chances with.

Kevin wrote:

“Jerry…..Jansen doesn’t need another pitch (yet). When you have a cutting fastball that you can throw 92-96 with movement you throw it every time until the hitters prove they can hit it.”

While in theory I agree with this, the point that is being made is simply this – Jansen threw that cutter to Ruiz NINE PITCHES IN A ROW and did not get him out. 10 cutters in the at bat, and NINE in a row, and Cruz ended up at first base. It is my contention that if one, or two, change ups had been thrown in that sequence, Ruiz would have never made it to first base.

The change up USED to be a part of every good pitchers repertoire. Heck, my grandpa, a minor league pitcher in Texas years ago, taught me how to throw one when I was in Little League. I used it all through high school. Talk about an out pitch. It added about two feet to my fastball. Every Major League pitcher should have one he can throw to the ankles, if for no other reason than to show it and lengthen the fastball and cutters.

Just my humble opinion.