With scrubbs, duds, wanna-be’s, never were’s, career minor leaguers, castoff pitchers, raw rookies and junkyard dogs, the Dodgers keep pulling wins out of their butts, and I like it. I like it a lot! These guys have a never-say-die attitude and simply believe they are going to win. A lot of the credit has to go to Don Mattingly who has demonstrated that he has their backs and is passionate about them. That attitude is contagious!
Without Matt Kemp, the Dodgers beat the Phillies on the road for the third straight game. Chris “There’s No Way He Will Win 20 Games” Capuano improved to 8-2 and should be an All-Star for the second time in his career. He’s on track to win at least 20. Never doubt me again!
It’s fun watching Dee Gordon grow up. He is slowing down just a big and making plays in the field that few other short-stops make and he is getting the big hit. That level of talent and work ethic never fails. We are going to enjoy watching him play more everyday.
Like Badger predicted, James Loney is making some noise with the bat… finally! Let’s not forget Tony Gwynn, Jr. who is playing a stellar CF and hitting while taking Matty’s place.
Kenley Jansen struggled last night to get the win and was clearly tired, but he willed himself to close it out unlike a former closer the Dodgers once had. Kenley needs two days off after pitching so much and pitching three days in a row. I was uncomfortable with leaving him in, but it worked out.
Notes of Note:
- Justin Upton of the D’Backs is unhappy over his current benching and saying so. There is no way I give up Andre Ethier for him. The Dodgers want to re-sign Ethier, but probably a 5-6 year deal and he probably wants a longer one. I think he will be re-signed.
- Jordon Hershiser was drafted by the Dodgers. Story HERE.
- I like the Dodgers draft – there are some interesting players. Now, it wait and see. I laugh my butt off when is read stuff like “he has a projectable blah, blah, blah” – project this! You can project anything. It’s called “guessing.” It’s a crap shoot because you never know the size of the kids heart and that’s all the difference. I have learned to just enjoy the process. I like the looks of the draft… now we’ll see…
- I would not be surprised if the Dodgers elected to DL Clayton Kershaw retroactive to his last start just to give his plantar fasciitis a rest. He could miss two starts. Next man up!
- Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6-6-12