It’s Time to Make the First Move, Ned

James Loney may ultimately pull it all together and hit .300 with 20 HR and 100 RBI, but I vote him off the island – James, you are fired!

You start the process by getting rid of what you don’t want or need.  I know some will say that he is hitting better in June (.286), but it’s with no power.  I like James Loney, I like his glove.  I like him as a person, but on a team hat is starved for power, the Dodgers need to send him packing because 1B is going to be an easier position to find a bat than at 3B this year.  I think there are three (3) players who could fit the bill at 1B:

• Kevin Youkilis
  • Justin Morneau
  • Chase Utley

All three players come with a lot of risk, and none are a long-term solution at 1B, but no risk – no reward!  All three players have had injury issues.  All three players are former All-Stars and all three have multiple productive years.  All are in their mid-30′s. All have question marks.

Kevin Youkilis has had back problems but is playing after his return from the DL.   He has had only one season with over 100 RBI, so he has the least to offer in potential, but he can play both 1B and 3B, although he is best suited for 1B.

Justin Morneau is the youngest of the three at 31, and is left-handed.  He has had 4 years of over 100 RBI and is a former AL MVP.   His stats are not eye-popping this year, but after playing sparingly the past two year and on a bad team, he could benefit  from a change of scenery.

Chase Utley has played a few games at 1B in the major leagues and is also LH.  He has a good glove, so I don’t think the move to 1B would be a problem.  He’s from Pasadena and played high school baseball at Polytechnic High School and college baseball at University of California, so I can’t imagine he wouldn’t like to come home.   The only question is if he can play.  He is currently on a minor league rehab assignment and is due back soon.

I think all three players could be had, especially if the Dodgers would pay all of their salaries and the right package was offered.

You start by putting James Loney on the market and cut ties with him ASAP.  Houston may be a possible destination.  Sending him home may be just what he needs.  Get what you can and move on.  It’s over, James.  Also, send a message to the rest of the team – “underachievement will not be tolerated.”

Personally, I think the Dodgers would have to watch these players for two or three more weeks to determine their health.  Youk is my least favorite.  Morneau or Utley would be huge upgrades, if healthy.

Stay tuned.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report -6/19/12

26 Responses to “It’s Time to Make the First Move, Ned”

You already know how I feel about Utley. I take him in a heartbeat.

It would appear on the surface that Justin Morneau would be a huge upgrade over Loney, but if you look below the surface, there is more to meet the eye. From 2007-2010 he was an All Star with great numbers. Since then? eh, there may be a good reason he is available. And what might surprise you is that WRISP Loney’s three year splits are as good as Morneau’s. Yeah, surprised me too. Morneau is under contract for a boat load this year and next (14 and 14)

It would also appear that Youkilis can be had for considerably less. And, there might also be a good reason for that too. However, the last aging vet we picked up from Boston for cheap worked out pretty good – for a few minutes. Just don’t over pay for the guy and he could be a valuable piece for this year.

I would say, at this point in time, Youkilis is the most likely move. He makes 12 mil this year and a club option for 13 next. If he comes, I hope it’s Uribe he puts on the bench, but it will be him or Loney so, add those salaries to the cost of doing corner infielder business. If Boston is willing to pick up some of the contract, it will be more costly in prospects (we’ve been down that road before) so it’s just a question of how much the new owners want to spend for this alleged upgrade.

Wow, I don’t know that I love any of these moves. I think because Loney saves us defensively every single night he plays still makes me want to give him a few more weeks and hope for anything offensively. I know we have all been saying this for 3-4 years now. I guess I’m a creature of habit. Uribe can defend very well also but something has to give with the offense or we will be going nowhere quickly. I think if a 3rd baseman that hits can’t be had then we should turn to LF and let Juan platoon with James or James become the 7th inning replacement.

Harang looked horrible last night. I know he’s entitled to have a off night but all his pitches were up at the shoulders and over the head of the hitters. He couldn’t seem to get the fastball down. Garza would be nice as many have mentioned. Maybe Harang can help out the bullpen or be part of a trade. Eovaldi is a must stay in the rotation for me.

Bottom line, I would hate to be Ned right now and try to make magic out of this roster when all the players available for trades are huge question marks. Garza seems to be the most logical choose to me right now. We are going to have to scrape for more low scoring wins. Don’t trade the farm for future DL members.

3. chucky says:

What about Cliff Lee? Lots of rumors of him being on the trading block. KEEP LONEY for the rest of the year for defensively replacement for LEE and cut ties at the end of the season. Then go for a replacement (who I do not know).

Since there does not seem to be a really good deal for a first baseman – now. Then I keep Loney there, hit him 7th or 8th and accept his glove and any offense he can give.

I go after a centerfielder (move Kemp and Ethier over) and or a third baseman.

Uribe looks so lost at the plate — just pay him his money and let him walk. Heck, bring up Sellers. He seems to do something that work during a game.

But best to make a trade — overwhelm some team for an up and coming 3rd baseman. Then with Kemp and Ellis back — things might be stronger. Then the weak spots in the order would be Gordon & Loney.

Cliff Lee? Yeah, I’ll bet he is on the trading block. Have you seen the numbers on his contract? I doubt anybody wants him for that kind of dough. Unless of course, somebody picks up half that $25 million a year he makes for the next three.

I agree with what you said there Roger, especially the centerfielder part. I would really like to give Kemp’s legs some rest, and getting him out of center makes sense to me. However I think that waiting for a while is probably the safest thing to do. We still have the lead we have had for a while, so, at the moment there is no rush. Heck, everybody in the West lost yesterday, and nobody is hot, so, no need to push anything. It would be nice if something fell into our lap, but because of that extra wild card thing, there will likely only be about 6 or 7 teams that will be selling, and those won’t really become available for another month. A lot can happen in a month.

6. Bobbie17 says:

I saw JLo take BP at Oakland last night. He was hitting the …..out of the ball. I looks like he has a new approach to his stance. More leg lift, etc. I don’t like this new form but it is something most hitters do these days. It might work for him—-some day.
    I say keep him. There is still topside there. He, Kemp and Ethier are in the same roatation in BP and were that way in SpringTraining. I say keep them together as long as possible. For better or worse. The Dodgers aren’t much good based on what I
    saw last night. I think there number is just about up.

I see zero benefit to getting Youklis. If he were free and didn’t cost 1 prospect (or he cost Uribe), I’d do it.

He is old, injured, and done. This is no longer the McCourt era, this is the real ownership era.

Let’s go get a real player. If we can’t get a stud 1b or 3b, then make our pitching staff playoff caliber. Go get Cliff Lee (some salary paid by philly), or Cole Hamels or somebody.

8. the truth hurts says:

How long can junkyard dogs tread water?

• Mark_Timmons says:

They have been doing it all season, much of it without their MVP and starting 2B and they still have the best record in all of baseball. They can tread!

9. nedsucks says:

hey what do you think about zach lee and allen webster for wil myers of kc?

• Mark_Timmons says:

Wil Myers is tearing up the Texas League (AA). Is he ready this year? Who knows? I think the Dodgers need to make a move that helps now.

Hard to argue about Youk Bobby, except I don’t think 33 is old.

dbacks waking up today.

Had to look up Myers. Yeah, he may be ready, but he also may be Jerry Sands.

11. ken says:

Didn’t the Phillies 2B just get suspended for 50 games. Maybe Utley is no longer on the market?

Currently Youk is worse than both Uribe and Loney.

I say make small trades and improve the platooning for each position through July 30th and then make 1-2 big trades on 7/31.

Too many Dodger hitters find a problem with their swing and then try to add on an adjustment when they should be subtracting from their swings and making their swings shorter and simplier.

Uribe, Kennedy and Rivera should be on the short list to be traded or DFAd by 6/30.

12. ken says:

:( Texas has more wins than the Dodgers

Time to make a move!

13. ken says:

June 10-7
    Pitching 3rd

Hitting 28TH CRAP :(

The guy you are referring to ken is Galvis, and yep, he gone. The scuttlebutt was he was good enough to take over second for Utley, and he may be, but not for a while. If the Phillies continue to fail, Utley might still be available. But if all those Phils on the DL get back, they could still compete.

Uribe, Kennedy and Rivera. I am not as down on Rivera, he could be helpful off the bench and accidentally hit more home runs than those other guys combined but I wouldn’t really miss any of them.

Currently Youk is in need of a new uniform. He was an All Star last year with a 3.7 WAR, and has a career OPS of .833. How many current Dodgers can say that? He is only 3 years older than Ethier, so, he isn’t OLD. He just needs a change of scenery.

Badger, is there not old and OLD.

Youk has played on a team that has been in the hunt since he arrived in 2004 at the age of 24. This is his 9th year in the biggs.

I do not know about his health issues. But he seems to have a lot of physical miles on his playing time.

But heck, if the Red Sox pick up a bunch of his salary . . . fine.

He is due a total of $12,250,000 this season, and $13 million next year on a team option with a $1 million buyout.

What I keep thinking — is the Dodgers need help NOW at 3b and 1 outfield position —- plus another left hander in the pen.

16. Bball says:

I agree on Rivera badger. I think we keep him and use him off the bench to make our bench stronger. I see him as the next killer tomatoe

17. ken says:

On the Bench and hitting better than 7 Starters
    Treanor .308 :)
    Loney .283 :)
    Kennedy .250 :(
    IDJ .250 :(

18. ken says:

So Gordon talks to Henderson about stealing bases but not buntin?

Maybe Gordon can be taught by

Capuano, or
    Kershaw, or
    Lilly, or
    Harang, or
    Ellis, AJ, or
    Gwynn, or
    Kennedy, or even
    Treanor.

PS More terrible bunts today by Dee Dee

19. Bball says:

I guess the only constalation is the giants r losing too. But this can not continue. Like mark said time to make a move and quick

20. BC says:

Five hits in two games? You can’t play Triple A players a full MLB season and our MiLBers haven’t even reached July 4th.

Offense has gone fishing. Record since June 15th 2-3.

Patience glasshoppers.