If You (No) Hit a Junkyard Dog, It Will Come Back and Bite You

That’s Rule #1 in JunkYard Dogology.  You had better kill a junkyard dog, because, if you don’t, it will come back and bite you.   And, bite Dodgers did last night, led by the biggest junkyard dog of them all, Jerry Hairston, Jr.  – Five (count ‘em 5) freaking RBI’s by a lifetime journeyman utility player forced to hit 5th.

We have come to expect so much from Clayton Kershaw that we think he’s not pitching that well, even though he’s 5-3 with a 2.65 ERA.  We all feel like there’s more… and there is.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6-09-12

Chad Billingsley goes against RH pitcher Blake Beavan – Butthead is in the pen.

19 Responses to “If You (No) Hit a Junkyard Dog, It Will Come Back and Bite You”

Watching Dee Gordon TRY to bunt is like trying to watch a Little League player trying to to learn HOW to bunt. Dee looks uncomfortable and that he is not getting it.

Several times, that I have seen, he moves the bat out for a bunt at the last possible mil-a-second. Yes, the corner infielders are in thinking bunt — and if he squared up much sooner they would be moving further in — but watching him at that last second, that does not work.

I know that Wills and others have been working with him for several years now. But he is just not catching on. Maybe it will click one day and he will drive the league/s nuts.

Also, I cannot quibble with AJ Ellis’ success this season, but his (almost) always taking the first pitch or two is getting old. Even the announcers of other teams comment on the fact that Ellis does not swing at first pitches.

Yes, I know he gets a lot of walk, or at least makes the pitcher work by throwing multiple pitches when he is up — but i much prefer a hitter who goes after a pitch that HE CAN HANDLE (HIT). Ellis lets a lot of pitches right down the middle of the plate go by now. But his has been a real surprise for the Dodgers this season.

I have noticed the same things Roger. You would think somewhere along the line, somebody who knew how to do it would have taught Dee the fundamentals of bunting.

It’s working for Ellis so, hard to argue with the results. If I was a pitcher, I would force him to swing at the first pitch once in a while. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get 0-2 on the guy, then throw nothing but sinkers or high and tight, low and away. But, Karros said yesterday that what the Dodgers are doing successfully is going deep in the count, and the more pitches you see, the more likely you will see a mistake. And so far, the Dodgers have been excellent at punishing mistakes. I would say that is Donnie and Hansen working their magic.

Butthead is in the pen. Took a second.

Good Bills? You just never know. Blake Beaven? A 23 year old first round pick with a 5+ ERA. I like our chances.

3. SpokaneBob says:

Easy to sit on the recliner and be critical of someone trying to bunt for a hit aginst major league pitching. Compared to how Uribe does it Dee doesn’t look to bad.

4. RogerCraig says:

To me Dee Gordon looks like a kid with a tremendous amount of talent who has never been asked to bunt much. I believe he will conquer that, but like Clayton Kershaw did not learn to throw strikes overnight, Dee will evolve. Be patient – I see progress.

Actually, last year I thought Gordon was terrible bunter. This year I just think he’s bad. I think that’s progress. He’ll get better, unless he’s a Juan Pierre clone. Despite his reputation, I thought Pierre was a terrible bunter when he played for the Dodgers. And he still is.

Like to see Gordon push some bunts between the mound and first and the mound and third. Might make the corners think about not playing too far in. Whatever the case, Gordon appears to be a worker, and ultimately he will probably be a very good bunter. And maybe the fact that he didn’t start taking baseball seriously until his senior year in high school has something to do with it.

It’s a recliner now Bob, but as you know, before the recliner, it was years of playing, followed by years of coaching. Dee does a lot of things wrong for a Major Leaguer. Especially one that has the speed he does. He needs to put hours in the batting cages on the skill. If he is willing, he will get it down. When he does, it will add about a hundred million to his earning potential. It’s worth the work.

Disagree with you Bob. Uribe is a power guy who swings for the fences on almost every pitch; or at least hit the ball as hard as he can.

Three Spring Trainings ago, I watch Wills work with Dee in “Maury’s Pace” – where they have for bunting practice. I even talked with Wills and he said that Dee was working hard on his bunting. That was 3 Spring Trainings ago. Face it, Dee, as of now, is a bad bunter. It just has not become an art form as of yet.

When Etheir was up, had a full count, I was ready to post that he should have sat out this game — he has hit so poorly.

Been watching some of the college playoff games to get to the College World Series. Interesting plays and performances.

9. Mike Dixon says:

Any news on Jorge Soler….dont know much about him except that he is 20 year old Cuban kid with power…..really hope the Dodgers sign this kid….

• Bobby says:

Latest word from SI, I believe, is that he’s expected to sign a 4 year deal with somebody by tomorrow, if not by later tonight.

The rumored 4 top teams in the bidding were Yanks, Cubs, Braves, and our very own McCourt-less Dodgers!!

If Stan wants him, I expect us to bid high. If we lose, then we just got outbid by someone who went way way over.

It would suck to lose a bid by a few bucks. If I remember, we lost out to Seattle on the Ichiro thing 13 years ago by less than $10,000. A few more bucks and the entire decade would have been so different!!!

10. ken says:

Absolutely pay over slot for Seager 3B

Ned did a better job than we expected with his signings.

Hairston .366 Super Sub
    Abreu .317 Great platoon guy
    Treanor .300 Good back up
    Ellis .273 Too bad he got hurt
    Kennedy .233 Will not last the year

Capuano 2.82 All-star
    Harang 3.95 Good #4 Starter
    Wright 4.62 Will not last the year
    Coffey 5.84 Will not last the year

Noticed that Arizona has won 5 in a row and picked up a game on the Dodgers over the last 10 games.

Watch out —– the D-Backs are on the move.

• Jae says:

I can’t see Arizona being more than what they are right now – a .500 team. They have way too many holes and all-or-nothing players. I could be wrong, but I can’t see them in contention, especially with Putz as their closer. The Giants have better starting pitching but losing Brian Wilson hurts them a lot. I fear the Giants more than the Backs.

12. Dave says:

Stan can be The Man if. . .

1. He get’s Soler
    2. He signs Brett Butler to teach the art of bunting. He took a skill and turned it into an art – God I miss his bunting! He could do for Gordon what Lopes did for Kemp.
    3. ?????

13. jerry says:

i think dee gordon is got his head deep in you no where..he goes out on fly balls ..and does not pull off even when the out fielder call him off.he is just stubburn,, and he wont learn any thing if he wont listen

Well, Dee Gordon did much more last year in the same amount of at bats. You never know, could be the league now has a book on him. He adjusts, or, he flames out. Somehow I figure the Dodgers won’t allow him to fail. It just might take a few months. The man does have gifts. We just don’t know what’s in his head.