Two weeks ago, these Dodgers were playing out the dream and were junkyard Dogs – getting a key hit here and there, out-pitching the other team, coming from behind, scraping and hustling and never giving up. What a different a few days make. They are no longer fierce junkyard dogs, but are now Humiliated Chihuahuas, dressed in funny clothes and stupid shoes, and they are the laughingstock of baseball. These guys are so bad they could jump out of a boat and not hit water. People who have been abused and beaten come to the Dodgers because they don’t hit anyone. They are so bad that even Tim Lincecum can win a game again them. Maybe Tommy needs to talk to the Chihuahuas like he talked about Kurt Bevacqua:
Let’s get a little perspective about this losing streak – This will pass. Kemp, Ellis and Ethier will be back soon. A trade or two will be made and some of the non-performers will be gone. Don’t panic. This too shall pass. Remember the Cards of 2011. They also looked dead right about now.
There are lots of rumors flying around about trades involving the Dodgers. Carlos Lee can be an RBI Machine, but he seems to have lost his power in the same proportion he has gained weight. I think he could be a stopgap 1B until the end of the year. Garrett Gould should be more than enough to get Lee. Lee could provide excellent protection for Ethier at #5.
Jed Lowrie is not someone the Dodgers should be interested in obtaining. He is injury prone and I don’t think he will be a viable 3B for long. I do like Chase Headley and think he would be an upgrade at 3B for 2-3 years (until Corey Seager is ready – I told you he would sign this week and he did).
I would be willing to trade Zach Lee and Ethan Martin or Allen Webster for Chase Headley… maybe more!
- Shawn Tolleson has looked horrible. I have never been a fan of his. Sorry…. just sayin’…
- I suspect that Nate Eovaldi’s start today will go a long way in determining if the Dodgers need another starter.
- Mark Ellis starts a 4-day rehab assignment. He will be a welcome sight back at 2B. What a quick recovery!
- Many writers think that Ryan Dempster to the Dodgers is likely when he returns from the DL.
Minor League Notes:
- Josh Fields is hitting .326 while OPS’ing .903 at AAA – he only has 8 HR is 285 AB’s. Is he worth a look? I think he should get a call, like now!
- Chris Withrow is back active and pitched 2 shutout innings last night.
- Red Patterson has a 2.28 ERA at AA
- FedEx is the PCL starting Catcher for the AAA All-Star Game.
- Trayvon Robinson is hitting .260 at AAA Tacoma – Not the exciting prospect many thought. He hit .210 in Seattle lasy year in 143 AB’s. Meanwhile, one of the players acquired for Robinson, Juan Rodriguez, is the Dodgers #11 Prospect and FedEx is #13. Robinson is no longer listed as a prospect.