Bills to Pay

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

I always feel like I write the same things over and over about Chad Billingsley, and evidently, I am not the only one who feels that way.  Tony Jackson of ESPN/LA.com absolutely nailed it today.  This is a must read if you are a Dodger fan.  He starts by saying:

I’m not going to beat up on Chad Billingsley. Not this time. Because I don’t want to. And that is all the justification I feel compelled to come up with. I’m not going to do it, because I am tired of doing it.

He goes on to finish like this:

So why, then, does it seem like it’s always the same story?

Why does it seem like the quotes from manager Don Mattingly and pitching coach Rick Honeycutt (I didn’t even bother talking to Honeycutt after this one) are always the same, about how Billingsley is doing fine but that he just needs to find more consistency? I mean, how much more consistent can a guy be when it seems as if the writers who cover him are writing the same story after every one of his starts?

The answer, then, is that maybe where Billingsley is concerned, this is consistency. Maybe this is his level. Maybe this is the pitcher he will always be — and given the fact he has won at least 11 games in each of his five full seasons in the majors, maybe that ought to be good enough for all of us. Maybe, much like another former first-round draft pick who plays for this team and is pretty good but never seems to get any better, a certain left-handed-hitting first baseman, we should stop expecting Billingsley to be a great pitcher and be satisfied with the fact that he is a pretty good one.

Maybe Chad Billingsley is what he is:  A good, solid back of the rotation guy and maybe the Dodgers are looking for a real #2.  Cole Hamels would fit that search.   Do the Dodgers have what Philly would want to get Hamels… and would the Dodgers want to pay what they are asking?  Would Bills be part of that deal?

Could it be Bills, Lee, Tolleson and another player for Hamels?  I think the Dodgers will TRY AND sign him in the off-season, but with him in the rotation now, the off-season could start much later.

There are rumors flying about Ryan Dempster and I think he would be a huge asset this season, but I wouldn’t want to pay much for him.  He could be as good as Hamels THIS year.

The Dodgers current #2 starter goes today – Capuano!

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 6/15/12

10 Responses to “Bills to Pay”

I wonder if Aaron Harang came up with the Reds with a lot of hype, and never lived up to that potential but settled in as a solid #4 or #5.

Perhaps Bills will become a similar pitcher. He can dominate at times and look like a #2, he has great stuff, he’s never hurt. But he cannot consistently be counted on, and thus he’s a #4 and not a #2.

I don’t want to trade Bills if we can keep him in the back of the rotation, because he will give you 200 innings. However, if he can be used to get a real top of the rotation guy, I’m all for it. Right now Eovaldi is a much better pitcher than Bills, and I think Eovaldi has a chance to be a #3 at worst!

On the other hand, are we the only team in mlb history that hits its 1b and 3b 7th and 8th?!!!!! Every other team has major offense coming from those 2 spots, and our guys are counted on to just not hit into double plays or pop up to 2b. Disgusting!

Yeah, good Bills, bad Bills. We have been talking about that for a while now. The thing I have always found frustrating about him is he had his best year when he was 23 (2008). 200 IP with 3.14 ERA, I found myself thinking this kid is just getting started with being good. And, he hasn’t been that good since. He hasn’t gone 200 but that one time, and he won’t be doing it again this year either.

Bills is not being paid end of the rotation money. He is getting solid #2 money and will be for some time. For that kind of dough, he should be going 200+ every year and doing it with a sub 4 ERA – 188, 4.21 last year. His home and away career splits are relatively even, so, pitching in Chavez has not padded his stats in any way. I don’t know why the guy is so inconsistent, but, he does take the ball every 5th day.

Dempster is having a pretty good year for an old horse. He has over 2100 innings on that arm, including 200+ the last 4 years in a row. His WHIP so far this year is lower than it’s ever been. He could help finish this year, but, can he be counted on for any length of time. He will be 36 next year.

Fact: the Dodgers play many many many many close games.

Fact: if the Dodgers scored more runs per game, that is, had better hitters that produced — many of these pitching concerns would go away. Like, winning games 7 to 3 and not loosing 3 to 2. Like – winning 9 to 4 and not loosing 4 to 3.

The Dodgers need some hitters. Right now, before the trade deadline at the latest — and that might be too late.

4. Bball says:

More fuel on the instant replay fire. He clearly didn’t leave early. Good for matty

Before Mark can say it, let me beat him to it — Capuano could win 25 to 30 games this season.

6. ken says:

Who is the worst bunter in MLB? Does his refusal to bunt in accordance with the instructions of Maury Wills mean that he has an attitude problem? I think so.

7. Jae says:

Bad attitude did it!

That bad attitude thing might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a while.

Anyway, I hate the Raiders, but this team must love the “Just Win Baby” mentality!

Ah, Mark makes about a half dozen predictions every year he ends up walking back. You get used to it after a while. Capuano might win 20. He’s never done it in his career, so, he is overdue. And he has about 19-20 more starts to win 12, so, it’s possible. Hell, just about anything is possible. Except Bills going 200 innings. That ain’t gonna happen.

Major League umps have been bad for a long time. And, they are made worse by instant replay. The fact they don’t use it when everyone on the planet knows they should is just testament to a stubborn Commish that has his head up his ass. Baseball is successful in spite of that guy, not because of him. There are ways to get it done without it affecting the time of a game, the integrity of the game, or whatever other lame excuse they come up with.

And, another W. Pitching. I think there are gonna be a few more of these kind of games in the coming weeks.

Get off the bad attitude thing. Gordon’s bunting is better than it was last year, and will likely get better over time. It’s got absolutely nothing to do with attitude, good or bad.

Again, and I’ve said it before, maybe Bills needs to go to the bullpen. Of course, perhaps he’s just one of those guys who will one day put it all together when we least expect it.