This time last year, the Dodgers were 16-20 in 4th place and the fans were moaning and groaning. Now the Dodgers are 20-11, in first place in the NL West with the 2nd best record in all of baseball and the fans are moaning and groaning. What the…? Look, there is no perfect team. The Angels are a train-wreck with their “leader” Albert Pujols hitting .198 with 1 HR and 11 RBI. Most people say “he will turn it around.” James Loney is hitting.211, why can’t he turn it around too? His career batting average is .285 – not bad. He’s not a slugger, but why do we have to have him dead and buried and not Pujols? The Dodgers don’t need James Loney to be Albert Pujols – they just need him to put up his average year. Slumps happen to the best in the business. Give James a break. Here’s what his batting averages have been since he broke in:
- 2006 – .284
- 2007 – .331
- 2008 – .289
- 2009 – .281
- 2010 – .267
- 2011 – .288
James needs to hit his way out of this slump and I think Mattingly just needs to play him as much as possible. The same with Uribe. The Dodgers just need and “average” year from him. A large portion of the Dodgers success is a very tight infield defense. Uribe and Loney are a big part of that.
THE DODGERS HAVE THE SECOND BEST RECORD IN ALL OF BASEBALL. Why are we whining instead of enjoying it? Sands, Van Slyke, Castellanos and some pitchers will be ready soon. SVS is getting a shot now. It sounds like Rivera will be out for a while so this is Scott’s opportunity.
Notes & News:
- Bobby Abreu has been EXACTLY what the Doctor ordered. So much for the Garrett Anderson comparisons.
- C-Bill is like a see-saw! Up and down. He was pissed Mattingly took him out last night, but it proved to be the right decision.
- Where should AJ Ellis hit? He’s doing great at #8.
- Matt Kemp is hitting a mere .385 – he’s now in the “superman zone.” No longer God of the diamond!
- The LA Time and TJ Slimers are laying the wood to Magic Johnsonand Guggenheim Partners. I’ll write about that later, but it’s getting ugly.
- Allen Webster is in danger of being sent back to A – Ball, after being shelled again last night.
- Jerry Sands is heating up.
- Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5/09/12