The Future of the Ravine

When Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers, we knew he did it with OPM.   That’s “Other People’s Money.”

We knew Frank was highly leveraged.  Frank was criticized for that, but had he and Jamie taken a “reasonable” amount of money as salary instead of nearly $200 million, he might still be the owner and looking pretty good.  Of course, if chickens had lips, they would be people.

Dodger fans knew a lot about Frank McCourt – they don’t know a lot about Guggenheim and Company, and now we find out that Frank does get revenue from parking (no matter how you or Magic want to explain it away).  We also know that Frank is a 50% partner with Guggenheim & Company on the land around Dodger Stadium.  We also know that someday that land will most certainly be developed and that Magic can veto it.

When the deal was announced, I was skeptical as to why Guggs and Company would become partners with McCourt, while overpaying for the team.  I think I now know why.

Are Guggs and Company so stupid that they think Dodger fans will be happy with that?  I don’t think they are that stupid.

What I do think is that sooner than later, the Dodgers will either build a new stadium or have the city of LA do it.  The Dodgers will move and Frank McCourt will own Dodger Stadium and all the land around it after he buys out Guggs & Company’s interest.   I think Guggs and Company is planning on getting back a half billion on that deal.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  Stay tuned…

DODGER NEWS

• Alfredio Silverio is lost for the year with TJ surgery after he had just became a legitimate prospect.
  •  Jake Lemmerman is hitting extremely well at AA Chatt.  He’s still at SS.  That won’t be where he stays unless he’s trade bait.
  • How about Chad Billingsley and Jake Lemmerman to Boston for Kevin Youkilis and Josh Beckett?  Beckett is a head case and both players have worn out their welcome in Boston.  Bills needs a new team. Boston would have to pay 1/2 of Beckett’s salary.  It could work.  Youks is a free agent after the season and is marrying Tom Brady’s sister this year, but he could do well in LA.  Beckett has two more years.  He’s a crapshoot.
  • Derrick Hall will be the next MLB Commissioner and Josh Rawitch will be his right hand man.
  • Ethan Martin will be in LA before the year is over.  The Dude has put it together and has electric stuff!  Almost a no-no last night!
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5/10/12

21 Responses to “The Future of the Ravine”

I’ve also noticed that Ethan Martin has really picked it up his last several starts.

Wow!!

2. el_che_ says:

thats a horrrible trade aging vets for young guys.why do that?

3. Mike Dixon says:

I actually like that trade….Bills is young but so unpredictable….Youlk would be solid at first, and Beckett may regain his form coming back to the N.L….I’ll tell you what, Dodgers make that trade they are the team to beat in the N.L….

4. Anonymous says:

Mark, you might be on to something regarding the future of the Ravine. I don’t like that trade proposition at all. Kevin Youkilis is not the player he used to be, and is a DL stint waiting to happen. Plus you take him out of Fenway and put him in Dodger Stadium and all the other pitchers parks in our division and I think he regresses even more. Just my two cents.

5. the truth hurts says:

Based on looks alone, youkilis would kill the image of southern California….

Keep him far far away

I don’t know if Mark suggested that we trade for Youk and Beckett. I think it was just an idea (spitballing). I think he is thinking like me, There is no sure shot trade canidate out there. A Cliff Lee/Doc Halladay etc. This year if we want to make a move it will be a roll of the dice “a crap shoot” .

As for the new owners: Mark & most of the media needs to calm down. Who cares what the deal is. Who cares what the surrounding area is developed into. I have faith it will be something Dodger-centric and will stay at the Ravine. A new Stadium is a dream for an NFL franchise & you think the city/county of LA will allow 2 stadiums to be built? Mark, it aint happenning.

Who cares who gets what cut of the pie. I want a winner. I think Stan Kasten is just the guy to lead this franchise in the right direction. Magic is the shiny object to distract the casual fans. We are better than than. Let’s all calm down. If I was starting a franchise today & they told me. You have Matt Kemp & CLayton Kershaw. Probably gonna have Ethier locked up. You don’t have any horrible long term contracts on the books (see: Vernon Wells, Barry Zito, etc.)You are in 1st place now and whatever you need going forward we will add what you need. I would take it! Relax. We may not be perfect but we are headed in the right direction!

Some funny fun facts I read today:

Scott Van Slyke may play against Jaime Moyer tonight. His dad hit against him several times.

Mattingly faced Moyer and hit 1 HR against him.

Moyer’s first start against the Dodgers the lineup was:
    Sax, Russell, Landreaux, Cabell, Hamilton, Williams, Duncan, Fimple, Hershiser
    That’s hilarious!

8. Kayla DeAngeles says:

No question, it’s a freaky amount of $$$ and makes you wonder about a lot of things. If the Dodgers are moved, it wouldn’t be far… right?? The Ravine is a truly lovely location. I wish, as many Dodger fans do, that McCourt would simply leave L.A. for good. But, he’s like a barnacle that we can’t entirely scrape off. The fans are wise to this and not as happy as we would like to be at this moment. But as long as our attention is on the game and the boys are providing excitement (and bullpen comes through) as they did on Wednesday night, in no small part due to my guy Gwynn Jr., we are okay.

9. Anonymous says:

Dope fiend move. Youklis sucks. No way is Kasten that stupid.

• Mike Dixon says:

Youkilis is having a poor start for sure….but funny thing is he is still having a better year than Loney…..Loney has to be replaced….no way around it anymore…

10. Mike Dixon says:

DRomo on the money as usual….

Greetings earthlings.

Thought I would stop by and give you all an opportunity to welcome me back.

That was a joke.

I think Mark IS on to something about the Ravine, though I hope the Dodgers stay there. I am not happy McCourt wasn’t put on a bus with a one ticket to… anywhere, but, I am happy it’s a new day in Dodger baseball.

Gordon is a work in progress, and progress will take some time, we still need a two hole hitter, I like our bench better now that Abreu is out there but still want a legit thumper in lf, Loney is what Loney has always been and will end the season with the same stats he always does, Ethier would still look better in Boston, this team is still OBP challenged, but has a real chance in the West. I got the over on 83 wins, for another 500 with a different sucker this year. I like our SP, and will like the bullpen once everybody settles down out there. I think we will be close enough at the deadline to attempt a move for another bat, but what do we have that anyone would want? Lee? I don’t think so, but you can bet he will be in the conversation.

Happy days are here again. It’s good to be a Dodger fan.

later hosers……………

12. RogerCraig says:

Am I a hoser?

Welcome back Badger. Nice to hear from you . . .

DRomo, right on. Who cares when looking at the box score, seeing them on TV or live.

If the truth were know about: government contracts, how GM, or GE work — it would probably anger us. Looking at the money and where it is from given to congressional leaders (Reps & Senators) will make you sick. (Like if a senator votes for the insurance companies — and then you see that that senator has received $11,000,000 for their campaigns over the years for insurance companies . . . that is like McCourt still having his hand in the Dodgers.

Dodgers having a hard time so far with a guy some 50 years old.

Oh we are so blessed…………….. I like our 2 hole hitter. Agree with most of the rest………..

Come on Bill, I was just kidding. You know, the origin of the word is interesting. Hosed had a meaning of becoming drunk – for example: “Let’s go out and get hosed.” Last year? The Dodgers lost again….let’s go out and get hammered. Another origin is derived from hockey slang. Before ice resurfacers, the losing team in a hockey game would have to hose down the rink after a game. Thus the term “hoser” being synonymous with “loser”.

So, all Dodger fans are a bunch of drunk losers.

And yes, I am just kidding. Though many Dodger fans had their heads a bit fuzzy (anybody we know?) when it came to McCourt. But, McCourt is so yesterday. It’s a new era. The McCheaps are mercifully gone, and almost immediately the Dodgers began to play differently. Will it continue. I believe it will. If the Dogs play .500 ball the rest of the way, they win 86 and are in the hunt for a Wild Card. We all believe this team can play .500 ball right? They do and I win the bet. I have won every 500 push-up bet I have made and I don’t intend to lose this one.

Dodger baseball is back guys. My man and his team, Magic and the Googleheimers, won the bid. Another victory as far as I am concerned. Life is good.

And though Mark Ellis is doing great now, I still see him ending the year at .260 with a .333 OBP. It’s just who he is. He will have a + WAR of course and a wOBA of around .320.

This team won’t be as good as it can be until Gordon successfully learns how to steal fist base. Once that happens, and we get a legit lh 2 hole hitter with speed, (and another thumper) this team takes off.

It’s still a year away boys, but, the Dodgers sans McCementhead are clawing their way back.

Good to see you guys again.

16. Kayla DeAngeles says:

Haha, on Gordon stealing first base. Some people here get sensitive about the guy, however, so I’ll just let the folks commenting on Gurnick’s article today tell it like it is.

Badger, I thought you had switched your allegiance to the D-backs…??

Badger I know you know this however……………
    When you are a true 2 hole hitter, stats get thrown out the window according to the analst’s. You give yourself up in order to move the runners up. Mark has done a great job of that this year and he’s a great defender. I truely appreciate his efforts. Now if only Dee could get on base more often.

Yeah Bill, I agree with what you just said. Maybe Ellis is the right guy for that job. I have seen him do what needs to be done in that spot. He does have fairly decent splits out of the 2 hole (.342 OBP). But you know me, I prefer the lh hitting line drive hitter with speed in that spot in the order. Guess you can’t have everything. Like a .400 OBP lead-off guy. A Ryan Braun type 5 hole hitter. Loney to actually live up to his potential. Another Gagne closer. A re-do on the Uribe signing. McCourt on a bus back to Boston.