The Dodgers Played Dead Last Night

Good doggie!  Write that one off and let’s get ready to roll today.  It should be exciting – Chad Billingsley is pitching and you never know what you will get.

Jerry Hariston is back and when he is the #5 hitter, you know you have problems.  Juan Rivera and Matt Kemp should be back Tuesday or Wednesday.  Sands and Van Slyke have done little and nothing to impress.

I think the Dodgers need to re-evaluate their minor league coaching positions and the entire minor league management structure.  Just saying!

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5/25-12

18 Responses to “The Dodgers Played Dead Last Night”

Destiny’s Doggies!

I like it.

I agree that Sands and Van Slyke don’t exactly look like big league hitters. Maybe they can grow into the job, but for now, they both need more minor league at bats. Van Slyke is going to be 26 this year. It’s time for him to show up.

I went down to ST to see the Angels/dbacks this year, and I watched Mark Trumbo hit rockets all over the field. He is exactly the same size as Jerry Sands and I was thinking at the time – why can’t Sands play first base for the Dodgers? He is a good athlete, and the Dodgers need corner infielders. Can anyone tell me who the Isotopes first baseman is? How about the Lookouts first baseman? Trumbo and Sands have similar stats at age 24 and it looks like Trumbo has figured it out.

Are the Dodgers so sold on Loney at 1b they don’t feel the need to have another one in the organization?

Is it the hitting coaches that are the Dodgers problem? Are they so focused on pitching that their hitters are not getting the education they need?

I can say this much about the Dodgers AAA team. Playing there does the hitters AND the pitchers no real good. The Dodgers need a AAA team that plays in an exact duplicate of Dodger Stadium. Where would that be? Rancho Cucamonga is probably the right environment to do it. I know doing something like that has logistical implications that would be near impossible to overcome, but it would appear that Albuquerque stats do not translate to Chavez Ravine.

“I think the Dodgers need to re-evaluate their minor league coaching positions and the entire minor league management structure. Just saying!” And maybe Logan White too!

Hairston at #5 is a little better than Kennedy at #5. :)

Looks like the LA Dodgers were the AAA team last night.

Today’s pitcher for Houston is beter than the one the Dodgers faced last night.

Wow, only twice as many wins as losses… It is time to panic. Actually I would have been really happy with a record of 27-18 with the kids and scrubs playing. Therefore they are Plus 3 as far as I am concerned.

6-5 with Kemp out. I was hoping for .500 while he was gone, and it could still happen.

If this team plays .500 ball the rest of the way, they end up with 88 wins. Can they play .500 the rest of the way?

Watching Paul Konerko with the ChiSox on WGN right now.

Wow did we mess up big time. He’s so much better than the current guy

5. Mike Dixon says:

Konerko trade happened in 98…i think its time you let it go….

Been busy the last couple of days, so haven’t been here. Just got finished reading the previous thread, and I asked myself why in the world Mark would want to acquire Wesley Wright for James Loney. I’m not huge on Loney (can’t hit lefthanders), but although Wesley Wright may be able to throw hard, coming into this year he had walked 77 in 145 big league innings, with an ERA of 5.02. This year he’s pitched about 12 innings, not exactly a trend. In case anyone doesn’t remember Wright, he is a former Dodger farmhand who was lost to the Astros in the 2007 Rule 5 draft. But who knows, maybe at 27 the light has finally gone on.

But I wouldn’t be against the deal, because in Loney’s case, my considerable patience has run out. The Dodgers need a change at first base. I’d like to see Sands get a shot. I’d like to see what he can do if given an extended time to play. To date, this year, he hasn’t had enough steady playing time to prove anything to me, one way or the other. However, if the Dodgers could get an established, and productive, first baseman I’m all for that too. But for me, the most pressing offensive position remains third base, where Hairston is not the long term answer, and Uribe is not the answer at all.

Like to see something done in left, but maybe if the Dodgers can add some bats at the corner infield positions, then left could be handled by River/Gwynn, and include Sands if he doesn’t play first. Who know, maybe even SVS will make some adjustments. Whatever the case, I believe that things will happen between now and the trade deadline in July.

Agree with Badger that Ethier should be in left, Kemp in right and somebody else in center (Gwynn for now, and a more productive bat going forward).

And one other thing. Although Kasten is a strong player development guy for the long term, he understands the need to spend money to take care of short term needs. I expect that the Dodgers will spend big in the acquisition of amateur talent, because in the long term they understand the importance of having a strong farm system to both replace aging/expensive vets, and also because they understand that a large inventory of young talent provides the capital necessary to acquire established talent in trades.

And for now I would hold off on criticism of Logan White and any of the Dodgers scouting/development staff. They have been working the last number of years under a regime that invested precious little in the acquisition of amateur talent. Even the greatest coach in the world can’t get blood out of a stone. I want to see what they can do when they’re provided with the resources to acquire and develop first class talent.

And one other thing to add to my one other thing. When Kasten was with the Braves they didn’t spend big time to acquire free agents, or pick up big contracts during the season. I don’t believe that’s necessarily the case with the Dodgers, where Kasten is working with considerably more financial resources.

9. Bball says:

Watching the angel game what a sickening hat they have on. Trying to hard to be from LA. Theres only one LA team Anaheim and u suck

Any chance our new ownership tries to get Justin Morneau? I’m guessing with Mauer’s health and contract, he’ll eventually be the 1b.

Morneau would be really nice batting 5th

11. Bball says:

I’d go after him. How bout chads sorry ass for him I really hate him

12. Bball says:

It’s past due for him to be traded. Enough is enough

The good news – 5 innings and 2 runs. He leaves the game with the lead.

The bad news – 99 pitches to get through 5. The bullpen has to pitch 4 to get the W.

I think we get too many games like this one out of Bills. Where are the consistent 7 inning outings you expect out of your #2? This is why he doesn’t pitch 200 innings.

De Jesus is the best we can do for a pinch hitter WRISP? The guy has like 42 Major League at bats.

He’s the Man
    He’s the Man

Team improvement is relative to your team’s players compared to the players on other teams. If your player is weak but the position is weak all throughout the MLB than the cost of obtaining an upgrade is greater than you will be willing to pay for.

SS 24th I am ready for someone else to play SS
    3B 20th The first trade that I would be working on
    1B 15TH Wait until next year
    PH 14TH The bench will be stronger when players come off the DL
    2B 6TH Better than expected
    LF 6TH Bet you do not believe this Stat
    C 3RD He’s The Man
    RF 3RD
    CF 2ND

Be Happy that you do not support the:
    Cubs
    Twins
    Padres
    Rockies, or
    Royals

Bills’ contract won’t be easy to trade unless the acquiring team is convinced they can straighten him out. However, I still think he might be more effective coming out of the pen. He did it in 2007, and I see no reason why he can’t do it now. Billingsley just might be one of those guys who’s effective in short stints when he can just air it out, and doesn’t have to focus for multiple innings.

• Broxton's Bunny Soul says:

I don’t think Billingsley would be good out of pen. His issue has been struggling in the beginning and then settling down and getting better. He hasn’t been great this year…. but he’s a solid #3 starter

PS

10 out of 30 starting MLB 3B have a batting average lower than Uribe

And the pen wins it. (3 Holds and a W)

I agree with Brooklyn that Bills contract would not be easy to trade. I don’t know about him coming out of the pen. With that contract, he would have to be a dominant closer and I don’t know he has the head for that. Could be, I just don’t know. And yeah, his numbers could certainly considered ok for a number 3, but he is paid #2 money, and on many teams, he is paid #1 money. It’s my opinion that if a pitcher is making $46 million over the next 4 years, I am expecting over 800 innings of sub 4 ERA over that period. Since he became a full time starter for the Dodgers, Bills has averaged 192 innings a year and it looks like he won’t hit 200 again this year. So far, 5.5 IP per start. In my opinion, that is just not good enough.

Ken, how many starting MLB 3B have fewer HR’s and fewer RBI’s than Uribe? It’s a corner position. Traditionally you should get offensive production out of those positions. I am not going to look it up, but I would say our infield corner positions would likely rank in the lower third of MLB in actual run production.