The Abreu Deal Could Be the Norm

I don’t want to rain on the parade of Dodger fans who believe that Stan Kasten will come into LA and give Ned Colletti the authority and open pocketbook to trade for some bats that the Dodgers need.  It’s not that Guggs and Company doesn’t have the money – they do.  It’s just that throwing a lot of money to certain free agents is seldom the answer.  When was the last time the Dodgers paid big money to a free agent that it turned out to be a good deal?

One needs only look as far as Orange County and see how the Angels have fared since spending mega bucks for Torri Hunter, Vernon Wells, CJ Wilson and Albert Pujols.  This season, the Angels are 10-17 and Albert Pujols looks old, slow and confused.  He is hitting .194 with 0 HR’s and 5 RBI’s  and the AL Pitchers ARE pitching to him.   Vernon Wells who also makes mega-millions is hitting .220 while Torri Hunter is hitting over .300.

CJ Wilson is 3-2 with a 2.70 ERA, so that hasn’t been a bad deal, but spending big bucks for aging hitters is dicey at best.  Prince Fielder is faring better,  hitting .270 but with only 3 HR’s.  I believe that had Stan Kasten been running the Dodgers for a year, they would not have signed either Albert Pujols OR Prince Fielder at such inflated salaries.  The Dodgers were a player for Fielder, but only ay their price and Kasten is not stupid.  Look at how the Braves were built and get a clue how the Dodgers will be built – from within!

As you read this, I believe that the Dodgers are ramping up their International Scouting and Player Development in the Caribbean and Far East.  If Kasten can add a quality bat without gutting the farm, then I suspect he will do that.  I think he might overpay for a short term to get a player he wants, but he’s not so big a fool as to dole out $200 mil to guys like Pujols and Fielder.

I know the Dodgers would love to have David Wright.  He may never hit over 20 HR again, but he’s OPS’ing 1.085.  He would look good in Blue, but I am going to throw out a name that I think is more likely – Hanley Ramirez.  Miami was picked by many to win it all.  They are just not gelling as a team and reportedly have a fractured clubhouse.  Ozzie Guillen is running a zoo and I could see them re-loading an unloading the unhappy Ramirez, who is hitting .198.  Wright is at .395 and getting him would mean that the Dodgers would have to “buy high.”  With Ramirez, they would be buying low.

I fear that Hanley Ramirez would cost the Dodgers Zach Lee and more, but he might just be worth it.  Hanley Ramirez needs a fresh start.  He’s 28 years old and could be one of the best players in baseball.  Put him on a team with Kemp, Ellis’es, Ethier, Hariston, Abreu, Rivera and Gordon and he might bloom.  I would consider it.  Ozzie likes Juan Uribe.  The Dodgers could pay 100% of Uribe’s salary and throw him in the deal.

Then the lineup would look something like this:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Ramirez  3B
  6. Loney  1B
  7. Rivera/Abreu/SVS  LF
  8. Ellis  C

Good L-R-L-R Balance

Minor League News:

• Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – May 4, 2012
  • SVS is on FIRE – The Dodgers are going to have to-call him up soon.  He has passed up Jerry Sands as a prospect, in my opinion.
  • Ethan Martin is back on the radar with 7 IP/1 BB/9K’s and 1 Run last night.  Boy, how things change…
  • Ethan Martin – Starter or Closer?

11 Responses to “The Abreu Deal Could Be the Norm”

1. Mike Dixon says:

Only free agent I really want next year is Napoli….Hamilton is a too injury prone, plus he’s a douche and he killed a little boy’s father last year…Hamels is going to command $120+, so I’ll pass……I would hate to trade Lee….guy can become a solid #2 or better..but Ramirez is a stud…..Personally I would not trade anybody this year..let the kids play, see what we have and gear up for next year……

If the Dodgers were to do something i like the idea of trading for Trumbo…Angels desperately need relivers, like us, but would trade what we have for him…a young bat with power…too hard to pass up…..

• Dave says:

…”and he killed a little boy’s father last year”

You are an idiot – that is the lowest of low comments I’ve ever seen on this website. I don’t comment too often but HAD to when I read that. As far as Napoli, he belongs only in the AL. His future is as a DH and that may not b too far away.

Like somebody wrote in the last 2 years it is very important to try to have no players with a WAR less than zero. It is less important to spend $200 million and try to get 5 players with a WAR of 5.

I want the DFA tension in the clubhouse that “encourages” the players to work harder or they are gone. I would rather have Sellers than Kennedy.

The last week:
    Ethier .250, 8 KOs, 4 RBIs
    Kemp .238, 9 KOs, 3 RBIS

The role players need to step it up

The pitching was so bad in the last week there is no reason to point out their stats

The Dodger pitching staff is 26th best in giving up walks. Get a grip, man up, watch film, and throw some strikes.

Dodger hitters are no longer clutch. BA 11th, BB 4th, Runs 15th. Swing the bat earlier in the count with runners on base.

Capuano balks on every pitch

4. Kayla DeAngeles says:

Capuano’s mowing ‘em down today.

I’m with Mike. Let’s see what the kids can do this year. Youth movement!!

Adding a piece or two like David Wright or Ramirez wouldn’t amount to a long term financial commitment. Don’t know if either of those deals is possible, and in each case I would hope that the Dodgers did some thorough homework, especially as regards Ramirez.

I’m less concerned about giving up prospects than I was before new ownership. With Stan Kasten’s track record regarding the signing and development of amateur talent, I’m confident that traded prospects would be quickly replaced. After all, having a strong farm system not only provides a talent pipeline to the big league team, but also provides the inventory that enables trades.

Not everything the Dodgers do will be a blockbuster. Just because they have money to spend doesn’t mean that they won’t pick up role players like Abreu. That’s something that good teams do. But at the end of the day, the Dodgers now have the ability to make larger deals when the opportunity arises. That wasn’t possible under McCourt.

Kasten didn’t sign lots of big time free agents when he was with the Braves probably because he didn’t have the budget to do it. But I also don’t expect the Dodgers to sit idly by if a player like Wright or Ramirez become available. And free agency isn’t until the off-season, so for now that’s not an issue.

The Dodgers still have multiple needs, so whatever happens, it may well involve players we’re not even thinking about now. And it may also include the call-up of players like SVS, Sands, Tolleson, etc. And some of those players could also be traded. In any case, this ownership group has to do something more than sign Abreu-like players to re-gain the confidence of their fan base, and start filling the park with paying customers. And winning now and next year will go a long way towards increasing the value of sponsorship for any upcoming TV contract or regional network. And yes, I believe the Dodgers will eat most if not all of Uribe’s contract if the opportunity presents itself.

And by the way, Van Slyke’s last 10 days don’t constitute being “on FIRE”.

And as always, I always take ALBQ numbers with a grain of salt. Otherwise, maybe the Dodgers should call up Jeff Baisley to play 3B.

Oops!!! My last post included the entire post that preceded it. It was only meant to include the comments about Van Slyke and Jeff Baisley. Sorry.

I tend to equate OPSing over 1.000 with being on fire, but that\’s just me. However, he was OPSing 1.200 a few days ago, so maybe he\’s just smoldering…

;)

You’re correct in that his overall numbers indicate a player on fire. But recently he has been smoldering. But that’s the norm. No player remains on fire for a full season. Even Matt Kemp cools off now and then.