Rant & Rave Tuesday

• I guess we have a new closer – Elbert is an animal!  ;)
  • If James Loney can hit just a little, he’ll save a lot of games at 1B.
  • One of the main reasons the Dodgers are doing as well as they are is the infield defense.  Even with Gordon’s errors, the defense has been outstanding.
  • 13 Hits – 9 Runs last night.  That’s about right.
  • I can’t say enough good things about AJ Ellis.  I was really wrong about him.  At age 31, he is really stepping up as a hitter, defender and leader.  Outstanding!  He could be an All-Star.
  • I see the Giants aren’t pairing Lincecum  with Kershaw this year….
  • Jared’s Minor League Report – May , 2012
  • I got nothing else.

23 Responses to “Rant & Rave Tuesday”

1. DodgerDude says:

Brad Penney is free!

Sign him now!

NOT!

If the All-Star Game were played next week, and the total squad were announced today — which and how many Dodgers would make the team THIS year??

Kemp and Ethier as fielding players

Lilly as a pitcher

Maybe: Lindblom, Capuano

Dark horse: Kershaw

That’s about it . . . and this from a team that is in a four-way tie in the majors for best record with: Baltimore, Tampa Bay, & Texas

3. Dusto says:

Loney does make good plays, but he also so slow that he misses easy ones too. Asking him to hit at all is just too much. He is the Tony Gwynn Jr of first basemen…

I think Kershaw is more than a dark horse. He’s got the ERA, just not the wins. But he is the reigning Cy Young winner. I would guess that he’s got a better shot than Lilly.

Dodgers offense continues to be anemic, largely helped last night by an anemic Giants defense.

5. Joe says:

Do you think the white sox will make Paul Konerko available? I know he is up there in age but the man is still producing. Tired of waiting for Loney, great defender but his bat is always asleep for 3 months of the season. Shoot!!!!!!!Scott Van Slyke is better option at first right now rather then Loney.

Is Van Slyke playing 1B?

It is WAAAAAAY early but I would rather be in first place on 5/8 tied for the best record in baseball than be out of it already.

AJ Ellis is a leader. I knew he could do a solid job, but i had no idea this is what he would look like. With a solid 1B &/or 3B bat AJ Ellis is a perfect C for this team.

I am seriously concerned about Matt Kemp. His hamstring will not get better unless they shut him down for a few days at the very least. He looked bad running last night. Is it worth his consecutive games streak to have him go down with a hamstring for a few weeks? I say sit him down or at least limit him to PH role soon or risk losing him for an extended period. Rememeber Ethiers hot start a few years ago? 1 injury turned him into an ordinary hitter. Kemp is too valuable to risk that happening

Thats just my opinion

I guess Van Slyke does play 1B…..poorly I read. Error prone, yikes!

Van Slyke has not played a lot of 1B but could get better with coaching.

You are right Mark. I am sure he can be coached up. But the reality is isn’t that what AAA is for? Let him work out the kinks there.

Spit balling potential options:
    I have heard Carlos Lee, David Wright, and even Mark Reynolds (GAG!!) what about Adam Dunn? Chi Sox may want out of that deal? We may be able to deal with the strikeouts absorb some salary if he is in the 6 hole? (Kemp, Ethier, Rivera, Dunn?) I don’t love it but it is an option.

The bottom line is the names that will be available at the deadline may not be as attractive as in previous years.

10. Kayla DeAngeles says:

I do not like Dee Gordon making 2 errors on one play. Then, in 6th inning, he nearly messed up (whoever) making a catch in L field. Gordon had no business running out there when the play clearly belonged to that position. I have seen DG do this before, interfering with teammates, possibly botching the play and at the least ruining the other guy’s concentration. It’s like he’s making up his own way to play the game… not good. Let’s get a big league shortstop; send Gordon back down.

It was good to see Gwynn making the plays in C field, and using both hands to make the catch. I wish Tony could hit; he is so beautiful defensively.

A.J. does not surprise me; I knew he was good all along. Solid.

Cut the complaining about Gordon. He’s got some rough edges, which should not surprise anyone. I seem to remember not too long ago a young very talented outfielder with his own rough edges. I supported Matt Kemp then just like I support Dee Gordon now. For now the Dodgers do not have a better alternative, and there’s likely none available that’s worth the price to acquire. If the Dodgers upgrade the corner infield spots and LF, they will have no trouble putting up with Gordon’s mistakes, and will benefit immensely as he starts to put it together. And even with all his imperfections, Gordon will be an asset to this team, who will get better and better as the season progresses. Problem is, most fans simply do not have the patience, nor the vision to see past the present. It happened with Kemp and it will happen with Gordon.

Gordon had a tendency in the minors to follow fallow periods with extremely hot ones. He’s currently hitting .227. It really won’t take much to bring that up to .270, especially this early in the season, where a few hot days can do wonders for a batting average. I suspect that if Gordon suddenly puts together a couple of consecutive 4-hit games, attitudes will change very quickly. He’s the sort of game changing talent, that if surrounded by impact players, will go a long way towards transforming the Dodgers into an elite team.

I’m sure it doesn’t take much imagination to figure out that I’m an avid Dee Gordon supporter.

• RogerCraig says:

I have been around a long time and talent like Kemp and Gordon is rare. Like Kemp, Gordon will have his ups and downs, but he has to stay with the big club. He’s a rare talent.

• Kayla DeAngeles says:

It was rant and rave Tuesday, and I both ranted and raved about what bothers me and what pleases me. You have a different opinion. Go for it but don’t tell me to not voice mine. BD, you could cool it on the condescension.

When people talk about Gordon, they talk about what they imagine or envision him to be, i.e., in hypotheticals. I talk about what I see him actually doing and not doing on that diamond. If he weren’t so heavily hyped, might not matter but, thus far, I am not impressed.

Meanwhile Josh Hamilton has 4 hr and 8 rbi today.

Uribe bunting with runners on first and second and no out is emblematic of the Dodgers offense, and indicative of Mattingly’s lack of confidence in his third baseman. What are the chances that the Dodgers would have their third baseman bunting in that situation if they had the prototypical run producing player at 3B. Simply, no chance.

Run producers at the corners and another is LF is what this team needs, a lot more than pitching. Simply put, they just can’t score, and pitchers just can’t make any mistakes, like Kershaw did tonight. Games are too tight, too often.

Don’t know if it means anything, but Guerra threw some breaking pitches tonight.

Last night’s game was like a statement.

Kershaw continues to struggle to get wins. Last year he beat the Giants with like his arm tied behind his back. This year so far, he is present, and pitching OK, but getting out pitched by Vogelsong last night. So in 7 starts he is 2 & 1.

The Giants relief pitching called on by their manager — was tops.

Even thought the Dodgers got more hits than the Giants, they did what was needed to win.

Kemp held to a single. Ethier bounces into a double-play to take the Dodgers out of a really big inning.

On that play, Gordon was on second base. Either hits a big cherry hop to the SS to start the double-play. WHAT IF GORDON COULD SEE THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN (yes, I know you cannot assume a D-P, but it was going to happen) AND STUMBLE AROUND AND LET THAT GROUND BALL HIT HIM. That would make him out, and a dead ball.

Last night, New ownership, Kershaw pitching — and more than 20,000 empty seats.

So what is happening out there in sunny California??? Fans still upset?? Prices toooo high ???

• Kayla DeAngeles says:

Last night’s game: squandered opportunity. Sound familiar?

Bochy managed brilliantly last night. For one thing, Posey back as catcher made a big difference.

15. the truth hurts says:

I think most fans realize that Kemp and Kershaw are not enough to carry this team through the season and they are anticipating the move of the new owners to instill some sort of spark back into the fanbase by picking up some kind of bat into this lineup….Until that happens, I think the McCourt led empty seats will remain empty…..

When the Kings and Lakers are done for the year the fans will slowly increase their visits to Dodger Stadium

The simple statement about last night’s game is that this team needs to score more to win. In other words, the Dodgers need run producers at the corner infield spots and in LF. That can come via a trade or trades, and maybe something from the farm. The Dodgers need runs, and then everything will look better. Can’t expect to keep on winning with their anemic offense.

I agree with Brooklyn, that 3 positions are starting to show as a weakness. ( Uribe, and Loney mainly) Rivera and Abreu I believe can hold their own most of the time with Tony Jr filling in for the late inning defense. Every team is going to have games like last night, so lets see if it continues on for long losing low scoring one run games. When you have Ellis, Ellis and Gordon up the middle, the other positions can’t be as weak as they currently are. Go Blue