Rant & Rave Sunday

• Mark Ellis will be Sorely Missed.  The report is that he will be out for 6 weeks.  He has been nearly as important as Matt Kemp to this years team.   Someone has to step up.
  • I get the feeling that Clayton Kershaw is struggling a little – Imagine saying that after he pitches a shutout.  Nice rest for the pen.
  • Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times quotes Dee Gordon:

“We all go through challenges,” Gordon said. “I’m going to back up a little bit, learn from it. I’m not going to get down about it and I’m not going to stop working. It’s on me. I’m going to try to make this a learning experience. It is what it is. I can’t change what happened. But I can determine how hard I work, how much work I put in.”  No doubt he is struggling, but his attitude makes me believe he will figure it out.

• Bobby Abreu is OPS’ing .853 as a Dodger – I’ll take that.
  • Adam Lind was placed on waivers by the Blue Jays.  In 2009, he hit 35 HR and OPS’ed .932.  He dropped each of the next two years to the low .700′s and was currently OPS’ing .586.  He’s only 28 years old and is from near where I live (Indiana).  He is owed $5 million a year this year and next with a $2 million buyout or two more years at $5 million.  You wonder if he’s worth the risk.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5-19-12
  • Russell Martin is hitting .170.  Carlos Santana is hitting .261 – it turns out the Dodgers didn’t need either one.  We have AJ Ellis, BTSSB (best thing since sliced bread).  I am shocked how well he is doing and honestly don’t think he can keep it up – but hoping that he does.
  • Just like in Chicago – Vote early, Vote Often for AJ Ellis, All-Star Catcher.
  • Which Chad will show up tonight?
  • Finally, all you have to wonder about with the Lakers is when they lose to the Thunder, will they fire Mike Brown and re-hire Phil Jackson?  That is the only question.

8 Responses to “Rant & Rave Sunday”

1. RogerCraig says:

Looks like they are going to sit the kid for a few games. Kind of like putting him in “time out.”

Here comes Miles! Maybe even O’Dawg. :)

Time to place a couple more guys on the 60 day DL.

Maybe Kershaw is just trying to get more movement on his pitches which equals less KOs and hopefully less hits.

Dee Gordon – Hello, even Andre is hitting pitches up the middle with 2 strikes. Dee’s attitude and approach are not in sink.

I was for the Abreu signing!

I was for AJ starting! But wow, what a maturation process in just a couple of months. Who knew?

Lind? First the Dodgers need infielders! Did his body mature into an Andruw Jones body?

Bills? Will the catcher and/or pitching coach show up tonight and help Bills? Can the catcher give Bills a universal hand gesture every time Bills changes his pitching motion?

Brown is, by far, the worst offensive coach in the NBA.

3. Bball says:

Trade chad or make him a closer. I’m so tired of this guy.

4. Bball says:

I no he’s getting out of innings but every time he goes out I’m a nervous wreck

Another low and inside pitch to a left handed batter from a Dodger pitcher resulting in runs.

6. jerry says:

chat ..is nothing better then the 5 th starter,, that is where he should be..that way it wont be in as many starts. plus he has his head in the clouds.

Andre just could not cut it in the 7th innings.

SVS placed in the hot box — here is where he is supposed to become the new hero for the Dodgers.

And he does . . .

Seems like everybody knew that SVS was going to be swinging 3-0. The announcers knew it, Matheny knew it, and I knew it the second I saw Loney waiting on deck. In fact, I was wondering if Sands might pinch hit for him if SVS got on base.

I’ve argued before for Billingsley to move to the bullpen. I don’t know if it would be the same this year, but I still can’t forget seeing him hitting 97 when he came out of the pen in 2007. Mattingly wasn’t around to remember it, but Honeycutt and Colletti were. Maybe he would simply be better in short stints. Less of a chance for him to lose focus, which appears to be largely the problem now.

Haven’t checked lately. Is Eovaldi ready to step into the rotation?

Meanwhile, with this three game sweep the Dodgers have some breathing room with a 7 game lead on the Giants. Of course, a 7 game lead this time of year has plenty of time to evaporate. But at least it gives new ownership some breathing room to bring in reinforcements.