Play Me Or Trade Me

Players that teams wait on year-after-year to reach their potential, seldom do.  That’s a sweeping statement and I don’t have time to do the scientific research, but it seems about right to me.  It seems like players with “potential unrealized” frequently achieve that potential with a different team than the one they start with.  It cuts both ways.  I write this with two players in mind that most Dodger fans feels should be so much better than they are, but for one reason or another, they aren’t.  That would be James Loney and Chad Billingsley.  It’s time for a change.  What should that change be?  I have an idea.  Bear with me:

• Trade Chad Billingsley, Ivan DeJesus,  and  Zach Lee to the Phillies for Cole Hamels and Chase Utley
  • Trade James Loney to the Astros for Wesley Wright (Dodgers get a LH – James goes home)

Chase Utley may never be able to play 2B again with his bad knee and the Phillies have Howard for 1B.  It’s probably 1B for Utley, thus the need for Philly to trade him.  It’s a risk, but playing 1B would help prolong his career.  The Phillies get a starter and a pitching prospect in Lee and a 2B prospect.  Hamels probably isn’t going to sign with them so they get a pitcher in Bills who has upside and could possibly flourish in a new environment.

By the way, Baseball America now ranks Zach Lee no better than a #3 or #4 and frankly, I think they are right.  It would not surprise me if he went back to football.

Thoughts?

We hear that the Dodgers are in the process of signing 20 international prospects – sounds like they are putting their money where there mouth is!

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5/24/12

AJ ELLIS FOR PRESIDENT!

19 Responses to “Play Me Or Trade Me”

1. Brett says:

That trade is as realistic as Zach Lee learning how to talk without a lisp

But… I thought Zach Lee was the second coming? He was the steal of the draft, Roy Halladay in the making, the Dodgers with Kershaw and Lee would be unbeatable for a decade……

my first reaction to that trade was… why in the world would Philadelphia do that? But, to dump Utley’s contract (2 years, $30 million) and avoid Hamels current contract demands, maybe they would think about it. But, Bills’ contract would probably cause them to gag. He is owed $46 million over the next 4 years. Is he worth that? I don’t think so, and I doubt Philly would think so either. Hamels is off to a tremendous start, is a FA after this year, and his agent is asking for 7 years and $150 million. Are the Dodgers ready to pay a pitcher that kind of money? Seems to me I read Kasten would rather not do that. He instead prefers growing your own arms and bringing in big bats.

I think this might be another Timmons high altitude trade deal, but, keep them coming.

3. Mike Dixon says:

Sounds like a video game trade….fantasy land….I don’t care what baseball america says about Lee, dude is only 20 and has been in the minors for barely over a year….Nice try though Mark….

Not that it is the end of the world but if the Dodgers were to land Hamels, doesn’t it make us extremely left handed? Kershaw, Hamels, Capuano, Lilly?
    I do like Hamels but I would prefer Greinke next season. I think he is a perfect #2 behind Kersh. Hamels is a prima donna and we should know this ahead of time. The Dodgers are the favorites to land him but I think he will be a headcase. A damn good pitcher, but a head case!
    I would love the Loney for Wright trade! Wright is a freak. Little man, big arm!
    One thing is certain this team is going to look different in about 6-8 weeks. The hot stove is gonna warm up soon :)
    Keep the ideas coming Mark! I think it is interesting..

Bills, Lee and Pederson for Hamels. Karsten knows what it will take for an extension to be signed a minute after the trade. No Utley. First base can be hard on the knees too.

Keep Loney. I still like Thatcher from SD.

6. Anonymous says:

I agree with DRomo…what our pitching staff needs is a solid right handed #2 to break up the lefty’s. If we could find a way to dump Bills for a solid 3B and then sign Greinke that would be ideal.

As of now, I don’t think Bills is any better than Roy Oswalt or Nate Eovaldi.

I’d prefer to trade Bills for a real bat, and then just sign Oswalt or promote Eovaldi to replace him.

8. SpokaneBob says:

Was Kevin Brown worth the money? Dreifort?

Keep the young arms coming and spend the money on everyday players.

RESIGN ETHIER!!!

9. Idahoal says:

We have enough good arms in the minors to replace Bills. Trade Bills for a good third baseman. I am not that upset with Looney. He is not hitting yet, but I believe he will. Do you think Either could play first base? Just a thought. Van Slyke and Sands are getting a chance to prove they belong. Maybe Sands should play first.

10. Anonymous says:

Juan Rivera could be back as early as next week. I guess that hammy injury wasn’t so bad after all.

11. Bball says:

I no this isn’t going to be popular but I can’t see sands ever being a productive dodger. I hope I’m wronge but I see him as a good career minors guy. Hope I’m wronge

It is one thing for a player to move outfield positions — it is another to move from the outfield to the infield — and it takes time to get the basics down and the rhythm to do it right. Thus, a player out of position.

I have my doubts too Bball. He is getting his chance. Hope he makes the most of it. He is only 24. There is still time.

I don’t think Ethier is a first baseman. I think he is a left fielder. I think Kemp is a right fielder. What we need is a go get ‘em center fielder that can steal bases. How about Leon Landry? I still like that name. He is hitting .319 in A+. 11 steals and 1 CS. If he could do that at AA I would become a believer.

I meant to comment about Loney to Houston. I like it. His Dodger Stadium warning track power could translate to 20 home runs down there. Maybe going home is all he needs.

I don’t currently have a lot of confidence in Billingsley. The Dodgers must, that is why that extended contract. But, for a power pitcher, he sure doesn’t rack up the innings. He has only pitched 200 innings once, and that was barely (200.2). With his stuff, he should get 220 innings and 16 wins every year. He is 28 this year, time for him to earn that big money.

I meant to say something the other night . . .

Sands was in Left Field, and a ball, on the ground was zipping out to him, and Sands went after it like a SS taking a cherry hop. If that ball go through his legs — zip a double or triple results. I truly hope that the outfield coach on the team talked to him about it — and then had some drills the next day to break that habit.

Also — Gordon made a double play (he received the ball from the 2nd baseman) to his glove hand, and then transferred to his right hand to throw. He made the play.
    But I truly hope that the infield coach on the team talked to him about it — and HE had some drills the next day to break that habit.

Why my concern about Gordon? Too much can happen on a one-handed catch on a ball from your 2nd baseman (or the other way around) and then complete the play: drop the ball, close the glove too soon, cannot make the transfer to the other hand — Watch the great second basemen of the past (and most likely today) two hand catch and fast relief.

15. jerry says:

sometime ..when you bet the farm…it back fires..when it not broke ..dont fix it. yes we could up grade..but sometime it doesnt work..every one is talking about chimsisty, just my opinion.

Slow start against Houston tonight. Not a scary lineup the Dodgers are presenting these days. Zip through 5. Still lots of at bats left.

Lincecum got hammered again tonight. That’s a good thing. And Kennedy is getting hit pretty hard by the Brewers.

Badger, D’s D. — is raising it ugly head.

These guys look terrible. Houston looks like a winner —— so far. We can always hope. Just like those rich folks did on the Titanic. I believe that band that played on the deck while the ship was going down was that famous Brooklyn Bums Band.

Well, too bad we did not have our ace going tonight. 3 zip right now.

7 for 33, all singles. Kershaw allows 2 earned and gets the loss.

Van Slyke is not ready for this.

Destiny’s Dodgers. I hate it when that slogan is brought out of the closet.

Oh well. No ground lost tonight. Tee it up again tomorrow.

time for bed………..

19. Gonzo says:

Mark, you finally came around to what many of us saw and thought when Lee was handed that ridiculous signing bonus. While I think the kid will be good, he will be always compared to Kershaw and that might make him or break him.

That trade sounds interesting, but I doubt PHI goes for it. As much as I like James Loney, he needs to go and he will succeed in a much smaller park.

You want to hear somehting crazy? If I could get to do one transaction for the Dodgers this year I would sign Josh Hamilton and put him at 1B. BAM! Power hitting 1B and less probablilty of inury. I don’t buy the “he will fall off the wagon in LA” drugs are just as easy to buy in Arlington than LA. My way of thinking is if your going to do something you’re going to do it here or on the moon.