Next Man Up!

Matt Kemp carried the team is April, but has tanked in May.  His batting average is all the way down to a Superhuman-esque .375, but now the other guys are picking him up.

Mark Ellis is still looking like an excellent addition to the team with a .389 OB% as the number two hitter.  Ned was much maligned for that signing.  He’s looking pretty good right about now.  Andre “I ain’t soft” Ethier has brought his batting average to .300 and leads the NL in RBI’s with 32.  Bobby Abreu has been solid and the bottom of the lineup has been getting it done, with Uribe, Loney and Treanor/Ellis getting big hits.  If Juan Uribe is healthy he’ll play and  be an asset.  I am just worried about his health holding up.  Of course, I’d like a better 3B, but he is solid regardless.

Before the season started, I predicted that Chris Capuano would win 20 games.  I know you all thought that was a long-shot.  What do you think now? He’s pitching like an Ace.  So far, Belisario has looked solid.

Dee Gordon needs to sit for a few games to get his head back on straight.  I would not be surprised if that started today.

Toddy Coffey looks horrible and Javy Guerra looks lost.  Mr. Coffey can’t stay around…  There are  grounds to get rid of him.  He might be bitter, but he’s getting creamed – I can’t sugar-coat it.  OK, OK, I’ll stop….

Here’s how stupid Bill Plaschke is (he wrote this when the Angels signed Pujols and CJ Wilson):

Upon awakening early Thursday morning, the two words rolled off my tongue with disbelief that the big-talking, star-balking Angels would actually put smart money behind something other than beer prices and monkey toys.

Now that I’ve checked it five different places and confirmed it four different ways and know it’s actually true, the words aren’t being rolled, they are being shouted, with entirely different punctuation mark.

Albert Pujols!

Albert Pujols!

Albert Pujols!

After striking out on seemingly every impact free agent in recent years, the Angels stunningly hit one out of the park Thursday morning, adding the only player powerful enough to knock them back onto Los Angeles’ sports landscape.

C.J. Wilson makes the Angels really good. Albert Pujols makes the Angels great.

On the most compelling day of his regime, Arte Moreno has accomplished even more by making the Angels relevant.

How did that work out Bill?  That’s why you are a fish hack!  Pujols is at .192 and in the  Angels are in last place, while St. Louis is in first place.  So much for losing the best player….

Albert Pujols wife said this after she blasted the Cardinals for not overpaying for Fat Albert:

“It’s just like God, to put us on a team called the Angels.”  Right about now Diedre Pujols is rotting in baseball hell!

TJ Slimers and Plaschke have very little material with the Dodgers success being the story. I said that this team would be good last year, but they tanked the first half.   I think they allowed all the divorce and bankruptcy stuff to cloud their focus.  After the All-Star break, they got it together and were one of the best teams in baseball.  It has continue this year.  They aren’t perfect, but anytime you have the best pitcher and best position player in baseball, you always have a chance.  It’s obvious that a new attitude allowed them reach a higher altitude.  From all reports, this is the best clubhouse they have had in years!

Dodger News & Notes

• It sounds to me like we may have seen the last of Juan Rivera who ruptured a tendon.  At any rate, he’s out for a while, making the way for Mr. Van Slyke to get some significant playing time.
  • Adam Kennedy shouldn’t get too comfortable, as Aaron Miles signed a minor-league deal and is working out at Camelback Ranch.
  • Hariston to DL, Sellers back.
  • Shawn Tolleson was torched in his first AAA outing.
  • Have you seen that Rafael Furcal is hitting .362 with a .926 OPS?  He has 127 AB’s with 6 SB in 7 chances.   So far, he’s the All-Star SS.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report 5/11/12
  • Badger just informed me that Lawdog passed away.  I chose to remember him as a brilliant lawyer who loved the Dodgers and was passionate about life.  RIP, Old Friend!

The Ole'Lawdog aka/Tom O'Shea

38 Responses to “Next Man Up!”

1. mike dixon says:

Rip Lawdog…

Thanks for remembering an old friend Mark. He was a good guy.

So, you are counting Pujols down for the count? I’ll take the over on that one. He only needs one month and he is back.

I did notice Furcal. Think he will finish as he started? I don’t. I think the same thing about Ellis. He is currently a good fit. But, is this the year he has a career year? Could be I suppose. But, let’s face it, most players don’t come to the Dodgers and have career offensive years. There is something about that stadium that sucks numbers from offensive stats. That’s been going on for years.

I like Matt Kemp. I think the kid as a real future in this league. I still don’t know about that Ethier fella. I like how he plays ball, I just don’t know if he is happy here. He could win batting titles in Boston. His swing is perfect for that park, and in that lineup, he would get pitches to hit. He is a better fit there. I think we could get 3 potential very good Major Leaguers for him. Just a thought.

Miles? Really? uh… ok. Sure looks to me like we already have a plethora of light hitting baseball players on this team.

I’ve been meaning to ask you…. how can you see something that is invisible? I always liked “If you can see it, you can be it.” Same thing I guess.

“If you stay ready, you don’t have to get ready”. Will Smith.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Badger,

What is you want something you can\’t see? Faith is the key. People think faith only applies to religion. It applies to life…

3. Jae says:

RIP Lawdog. I hope the Big Dodger in the Sky is taking care of you.

4. Reggie says:

We will miss you Lawdog!

Lawdog was a great poster on Dodger boards. He really understood pitching. He would watch a pitcher, and size him up with ball movement, location, and was great with breaking balls.

I remember his wife (Ruth?) was ill for some time.

Nice to have known him on Dodger fan boards . . . see ya’ Tom.

“Faith is the ability to see things unseen as though they were there. Once you see it in your minds\’ eye, you can achieve it.

What is you want something you can\’t see? Faith is the key. People think faith only applies to religion. It applies to life”

Totally agree. I guess I just think if you can see it, it ain’t invisible. Splitting hairs? Well yeah, maybe. But, think about it, if you CAN split hairs, you have the skill of a surgeon. Besides that, I have a long history of examining and offering brilliant critiques of your thinking processes.

Lawdog and some in here go back well over a decade. I liked that guy. Unconventional thinker. Hair splitter of the finest order. He knew what he was talking about. I knew something was up when he wasn’t answering my emails. Yeah, RIP ldog. We will miss you.

7. Dusto says:

I’d still take Fat Albert over Loney. Though, ask me that again in 6 years… Maybe not.

Sad to hear about Old Law Dog.

Last 30 days
    Pitcher ERA WHIP Comment
    Coffey 15.43 3.86 (You are Next!!)
    MacDougal 9.82 33.27 GONE
    Guerra 7.20 2.20 (Any Options Left?)
    Harang 5.10 1.40 (A Candidate for Long Relief?)

Batter BA Comment
    Kennedy .160 (You are Next!!)
    Sellers .188 (Any Options Left?)
    Rivera .203 (Good thing he went on the 60 Day)
    Gordon .214 (Time for the Platoon!)
    Uribe .254 (Not bad and Good news Everyone else is better:)

9. el_che says:

R.I.P.

10. el_che says:

I actually voted for Furcal for the all star game. lol at Aaron Miles how many would rather hav him over Kennedy ??

Didn’t know Lawdog, but I certainly enjoyed his posts. Sad to hear he’s gone. Truly, RIP.

I would have to guess that Mark Ellis will likely fall into his career numbers, which coming into this season were .266/.331/.397. If he plays good defense, and does the little things, that’s OK with me. Like any player he’ll have his ups and downs, just hopefully more ups than downs.

I still have a lot of faith that Dee Gordon will ultimately be a plus plus player. But it’s certainly clear that he’s got a lot of rough edges to smooth out. He looked like a pretty horrible bunter to me last year, and while I think he’s improved, there’s still work to be done. But as I’ve pointed out in the past, I believe I remember him suffering through periods like this in the minor leagues, but that he always seemed to make adjustments, and break out at some point in a hot streak. Fact is, he did that last year in his second time around, and I’m guessing that as the league sees him more, there are yet more adjustments to make. In the end, I’m confident he will be fine. And besides, there really is nobody else that the Dodgers have who shows the kind of promise that Gordon has, and this team needs.

As for Furcal, let’s not forget that he’s always had a tendency to be streaky, and, of course, we have no idea when his back will suddenly go out on him. He’s probably an accident waiting to happen.

As for Pujols, unless he’s older than advertised (a definite possibility), I’m guessing that he will bounce back, much like he did last year. But there is no way that I would have signed him for the kind of money and years that the Angels did. With a new ownership group that is willing to pick up a contract or two or three, I’m confident that if Loney doesn’t start to produce (even if he does) the Dodgers will seek an alternative at 1B.

Even if his health holds up, I have no confidence that Uribe will be anything more than a .230 to .260 hitter (probably closer to .230) with not enough power to justify his staying at 3B. He’s a classic bucket stepper, and doesn’t have a clue about the strike zone. There are times when he might even get hot for a while and get everybody excited. But in the end he can be pitched to. If a pitcher doesn’t make a mistake with him, he’s toast. Third base is definitely a spot where the Dodgers need to find an alternative to the current resident.

I actually like the Capuano signing, but I never predicted he would win 20. But then again, I never thought that Kershaw would only have two victories in mid-May. I don’t expect Capuano to repeat what he did one year in Milwaukee (started 5-0 and ended 5-12), but I do expect that he probably won’t continue at his current pace. It’s a long season, and even stars hit bumps in the road.

As for Shawn Tolleson, welcome to ALBQ. Why does anyone think that the Dodgers often avoid sending there young pitching prospects to ALBQ., or the PCL in general? Case in point, Nate Eovaldi.

I wasn’t a big supporter of the Abreu signing, but I have to admit that he’s looked good, and that his patience at the plate is a plus, if only as an example to the rest of the lineup. Probably a nice piece to have around the clubhouse, and quite possibly an asset with the bat. Whatever the case, he comes cheap, so really there is nothing to lose.

Been working long hours lately, so I admit that I was dozing off on occasion during last nights game. I missed most of Guerra’s appearance, and never saw the HR that Cuddyher hit. Did Guerra make use of his breaking ball, or was it all fastballs again. If he’s got options, maybe he could use a trip back to Chattanooga (definitely not ALBQ) to get things straightened out.

And of course, Matt Kemp will pick it up again.

By the way, I’m worried more about the Dbacks than the Giants. I see that Trevor Bauer is living up to his billing in AA. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the Dbacks’ rotation before long.

Aaron MIles? Insurance, I imagine, given the injury to Hairston and the uncertainly over Justin Sellers’ bat. I suspect he can get out of his contract if the Dodgers don’t call him up, and another team shows interest.

Oh, and I almost forgot, WELCOME BACK BADGER!!!!!

I “liked” the Capuano signing, NOT “like”.

One other thing. The way I wrote it, it sounds as if I think Guerra gave up the HR to Cuddyer. I know it was off Capuano, which doesn’t of course change the fact that I showed my age, and dozed off.

14. jerry says:

hi think miles..hit some where around 296 last yrs..does any one know for sure..plus he bats both ways.

Updated run differential

LA 135 111 +27
    AZ 137 144 -7
    CO 158 168 -10
    SF 114 126 -12
    SD 105 134 -29

Dodger pitchers need to work on less walks and Dodger hitters need to work on better clutch hitting. Otherwise things are pretty good.

16. Kayla DeAngeles says:

Ethier’s Gold Glove moment was brilliant: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?tcid=mm_la_vid&c_id=la

Uribe makes the plays, throws clean to 1st base; Mark Ellis also solid on the plays as well as at the plate; Capuano scores a run in the midst of shutting out the Rockies (prior to surrendering an HR): THAT’S what I’m talkin’ about.

Tonight’s first pitch: 6:10 p.m.

This team is mercurial. And like mercury, it will be up and down all summer.

ok, I hope I can do better than that. I’ll work on it.

But Ken’s point is a good one. Half that lineup looks to me like improvements could be made. Maybe you can say that about every team, but I don’t care about any of the others. I want the Dodgers to look solid at every spot in the lineup. They can do it. Maybe not right away, but hopefully sooner than later.

Gordon – gotta leave him there don’t you? Kid has to learn.
    Ellis – still see him where he usually is
    Kemp and Ethier – they’re fine
    5?
    Loney – 280 15 HR 70 ribbies.
    Uribe – pleeeze
    Ellis – we will be lucky to get 400 ab’s out of him. .260 .350 OBP.

the bench? eh. It’s a bench without much hardwood on it.

Is it enough?

Come on Magic Googleheimer. Start the wheels in motion.

thanks Brooklyn……….

At 1/5th of the way through the season stats have become to be indicative of future success and management should start making contingent plans to replace certain players if they do not achieve certain minimum numbers like OPS+ = 75; WAR = 0; ERA+ = 75

OPS+

Treanor 55
    Sellers 44 Time for AAA
    Kennedy 40 BYE BYE
    Capuano 18 :)

Team 2012 = 107; 2011 = 94

Team WAR already 5.5; 2011 = 16.1
    2012 non-achievers (Donnie should platoon these guys)
    Uribe -0.1

Lindblom 187
    Jansen 145
    Guerrier 142
    Wright 96
    Guerra 72 & WAR -0.5
    Elbert 67 & WAR -0.2
    Broxton 2011 = 67 (THE NEW WAR “BROXTON LINE”)
    MacDougal 49 & WAR -0.4 GONE
    Coffey 25 & WAR -0.4 BYE BYE
    Belsario ?? & WAR +0.1

Missed Lawdog for quite some time now, but from what I hear, in our next life the Dodgers win every year. Another GREAT Dodger in the sky.
    Speaking of missed but not forgotten: I echo Brooklyns sentiments in welcoming Badger back. Just don’t take Mark too seriously, he pisses me off a couple times a year too.

You know that you have it made when you get your very own special icon on your posts. So whats up with RogerDodger still having the generic look still?

He didn\’t pay me $500 like you did.

O’Malley and others who bid on the Dodgers may now be bidding on the Padres? Losers :)

Michael, Mark and I have been pissing each other off since the 90′s. He won’t change and neither will I. He’s like that annoying little brother that just won’t listen to you, but you have to love him because he is family.

But you’re right. This is a place for Dodger fans to meet and greet. Hopefully I can tell Mark he is full of crap, but do it in a respectful and non threatening way.

Like this:

eat rectal feathers you sycophantic McCourt lover…….

ok, need to work on that one. Might take some time. And actually, in catching up in here, I can see maybe he has lernt something since I bin gone. ’bout time dude. (insert smiley face here)

If Miles can still hit .275, he would be a better offensive option than Kennedy. Kennedy looks lost. Miles’ oWAR is just above the water line but his dWAR is in the red. We need something better than that. But, it is what it is.

Pitching. We need a lot of it. I still say the Dodgers offense is middle of the pack. Take Kemp out of the lineup, which teams will start doing before too long, and the Dodgers just don’t look like more than a 3.5 runs a game team. The pitching, I think, has more potential to be really good.

Let’s hear it for Magic and the Gagenheimers! Personally, I am glad Mark was wrong about the Cohen fella. Never liked him.

Saw that HR by Hamilton (Texas) this afternoon. What a nice balanced swing for a left-handed hitter.

James Loney needs to watch that video and learn something.

25. It was mentioned lets see what the dodgers do when kemp is not performing like a monster. Well we’re seeing it lately. This team is good, flaws ya of course but every team does. This team is impressing me. People need to hop on this wagon. Biggest margin between first and second in baseball. Go dodgers

Next Man Up! How about, NEXT UMP UP !!!

The plate ump has been calling high, low, outside balls == strikes all night.

Kemp has been playing Mr. Softy of late.

Saw a stat for the first time
    RE24 – Wins above average based upon the 24 base-out situations
    The Dodgers really are a 2 man team

Kemp 18.1
    Ethier 16.1
    Ellis AJ 4.8
    Ellis Mark 2.8
    Gwynn 1.5 – Sub
    Abreu 0.9 – New
    Van Slyke 0.6 – 1 AB

Everyone else is worse than league average

The worst is GORDON

Time to manup and be clutch you little boys

That was a man’s save today by Jansen.

Cargo, Tulo, and Helton. Big time save!!

Good win. Let’s sweep tomorrow

2-1. 7 for 28 with no walks.

I can see a few more games like this one in the future.

Pitching. We gonna need more of it.

Gordon needs time. I still think he needs to learn how to do this at the top of the order. OBP. Part of his problem is, and I know this may sound strange, he puts the ball in play when he hits it. If he could just foul a few off, lay off the bad pitches, get a walk now and then… leading off is an art form. So far, he is no artist. 7 walks and 24 K’s? yoiks. BaBip of .260 so far. He was better last year. Come on Dee. We need you kid.

RE24? Really? So, according to that stat, Kemp and Ethier are the Dodgers best hitters. hmmm. Not Uribe?

No question that the Dodgers need for Gordon to get going. As long as the Dodgers are winning, I think he has a good chance to stick around. However, if at some point he is sent down to get his head on straight, I don’t think it would be the end of the world. Despite that he played in 56 games last year, this is still tantamount to his rookie year. Let’s not forget that Matt Kemp got sent down when he struggled in his rookie year. And so have other players that ultimately turned out to be stars. Other than Sellers, I’m not sure the Dodgers have anyone else capable of manning shortstop everyday if Gordon departs for while.

If the Dodgers fill-in around Gordon at the corners and in LF, then I think they can afford the luxury of carrying him until he picks it up. And although it could take time, I’m also convinced that Gordon is the type of player who can suddenly get white hot in an instant.

I believe Mattingly said just about the same thing as Brooklyn did about Dee Gordon. While the team is winning, it’s buying more time for Dee to get going offensively. I honestly can’t figure out how the Dodgers keep on winning. I am loving it, however I feel like I’m going to wake up from this dream anytime now. I guess something can be said for team chemistry. Go Blue.

Bill wrote:

“I honestly can’t figure out how the Dodgers keep on winning.”

Well, the Dodgers are third in the league in fielding and second in the league in pitching. Half the game is spent playing defense, so, that has to have something to do with it.

Offense is more sexy, don’t you think?

33. Gonzo says:

Badger! You coming back is bittersweet man. I know Lawdog had a hiccup a while back but I had nothing but respect for that man. May he RIP. Now as for you, I hope your back. I got a new pc and lost the address for that other site the old gang was on.It seems like yesterday I was and 18 year old college freshmen in ’97 signing on at the LA Times posting board. Good times.
    How’ve you been man, still up at Sedona?

Mark do you really think that Plashce is stupid? Come on man I know he isn’t your cup of tea, but he like some blogger I know puts stuff out there to get reaction. Remember the Kuroda incident? How a lot of people didn’t get it and some dude called you an a-hole? I’ve known you for a while now and can say your above that.

As for Pujols, he will be fine is El Hombre and is too good to be down. If you could choose right now between Pujols and Loney who would you take?

Tell him who’d he take Badger.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Gonzo,

Of course Plaschke is an idiot!

So am I – So are U!

Loney for $7 mil and 1 year or Pujols for $240 mil and 10 years. Is that the question?

34. Gonzo says:

*I know lawdog and I

I’m back Gonzo. Had some difficulties getting on a while back, and just kind of drifted into my own world.

I wondered what happened to you. Many of the old guys are still there, but it’s a quiet board.

Loney or Pujols? That’s a joke right?