Major and Minor League Updates

• Matt Kemp was 2-3 with a HR, 3 RBI’s and scored two runs for Albuquerque yesterday.
  • Juan Rivera was 1-2 with a HR and 2 RBI in the same game.
  • Alex Castellanos was again 2-4 for the second day in a row after returning from the DL.
  • Ethan Martin pitched 6 innings allowed 4 hits, only walked 2 and allowed 4 earned runs at AA.
  • It appears that Ted Lilly will go to the DL with a shoulder injury that the Dodgers are close-lipped about, but the fact that Eovaldi is headed up and the fact that they are talking to Roy Oswalt tells me that Lilly might need surgery and be gone for the year.  Too bad – he was having a great season.  I can’t see Oswalt coming to LA, but anything is possible.
  • Bobby Abreu has been a Godsend and his ability to look at pitches is helping all the hitters on this team.  This may be Ned’s best move.
  • Jerry Freakin’ Harrison?

13 Responses to “Major and Minor League Updates”

When do you think Alex might get a call up? It sounds like he could help the big club. Kennedy can be sent packin.

Oswalt must not be too impressive if he hasn’t been signed yet. I don’t know if I would be in favor of him or not. I would rather use the money on someone else. Just a few thoughts. Go Blue

I have a feeling after Oswalt signs (wherever that is) Other dominos will start to fall. Once we are healthy again (Rivera and Kemp come back) I want to see how our bench looks.
    Am I the only one impressed with Herrera? I say stick him at 2B and let him go. He is a little slow on the turn but I really like his bat.

I like Herrera. At least he came up hitting. He doesn’t look intimidated at all. His defense needs some work, that’s true. It will be hard to replace what Ellis does out there. But, this team will need to score runs this summer. The other good teams in our division are going to get it figured out, and they will coming for us.

I’d take a flier on Oswalt. Maybe Eovaldi can step in and give 6 innings of 4. ERA, but I wouldn’t expect much more than that out of him. He has not pitched all that much for Chattanooga, so, to think he can come here and go 7 is asking a lot.

4. ken says:

Just bring up (1) Eovaldi and (2) a REAL Loooong Reliever.

Kemp has homer again in Albuquerque. I’ll grant you it is a launching pad but it looks like Beast Mode is ready for prime time again!

one more thing…
    (disclaimer: I’m just thinking out loud)
    Jake Peavy has been pretty god this year. How would he look back in the west? He has a big contract but it is up at the end of this season. Any takers?

Adam Dunn has looked decent too. As a #5 or 6 hitter in our lineup it helps Donnie stay righty lefty too. (Kemp , Ethier, Rivera, Dunn) I’d say he is an offensive upgrade at 1B.

What would it take to get both?

• The Bunny Rabbit inside Broxton's Soul says:

The White Sox are about to be in first place in the central. they may be adding players not trading them away

I would pass on Dunn. He gives away as many runs on defense as he creates on offense. Peavy, I always liked him but can he stay healthly? Has he given the White Sox a decent year yet?
    How costly of a flier would Oswalt be? Either he is demanding more money then his worth, or his stuff is disappearing or he would be signed by now. Bring up Eovaldi and lets see what he’s got. I can’t see the new owners throwing away money for broken parts. Donny baseball has brought magic back to the Ravine but I’m not sure that includes duct tape and super glue.

8. Bball says:

Just watching MLB network. They mentioned that they think Carlos Quentin more then likely will be traded. Couldn’t help but think he might look good in left for us. I no he is injury prone so is a risk. But and it’s a big but, if he’s healthy I like him in our outfield.

I doubt Dunn is going anywhere. He leads the league in K’s, but so what? He has a .953 OPS. He is right where he belongs at age 32 – in the AL. He has DH written all over him. I would like, for once, to get a slugger on his way up. A good GM could do that.

Another starter with 96 pitches to go 5 innings. Another 4 innings out of the bullpen. Sure would be nice to see a string of 7 innings out of our starters. We are going to need that bullpen in August and September.

I agree with Badger, Dunn stays put. The Dodgers have an offer on the table for Oswalt according to Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports. Stay tuned……………..

Oswalt doesn’t want to come to L.A.. and Texas is in the mix, so, I would bet he signs down there. They are the favorites to get him.

Seems to me there were more than a few who thought the Dodgers would be swallowing some of that Lilly contract. It would appear that might be the case. There are a lot of innings on that 36 year old arm. He did have shoulder issues a couple of years ago and was able to come back. Hope he can again.

The lineup gets a boost tonight.

12. ken says:

It is kind of weird when the Dodgers lose and especially when no one is the hero.

At least Coffey and Wright pitched well in a close game.