Matt Kemp didn’t want to do it, but happily the Dodgers training staff erred on the side of caution and didn’t want Kemp’s Grade 1 Strain become a Grade 3. This will force him to rest, because I think Matt only knows one way to play – flat out! It will also give Scott Van Slyke and Jerry Sands (just re-called after a 3-3 night with his 7th HR) opportunities. This is character-building time for the Dodgers. James Loney needs to step up or step out! James has been hitting well of late and his defense is stellar.
It wouldn’t surprise me if AJ Ellis were elevated to #3 or #5 in the batting order. I mean, why not? Jon Weisman made an excellent argument that Ellis should be the starting All-Star catcher. If it were up to me, I’d bat Ellis #3 with Kemp out!
Andre Ethier is making a bid for NL MVP. Wouldn’t it be something if Kemp and Ethier were 1-2 or 2-1? It could happen.
Wade Miley, a good lefty is pitching for the ‘Backs tonight. This would be my lineup:
- Hererra 3B
- Ellis 2B
- Ellis 1B
- Ethier CF
- Van Slyke LF
- Sands RF
- Sellers SS
- Treanor C
- Billingsley P
- Kenley Jansen is proving that I was wrong in saying he wasn’t ready to be the closer. I guess he is. My apologies, Kenley!
- Tony Gwynn is playing an awesome CF and throwing pretty well too.
- Clayton Kershaw hasn’t really pitched well all year and yet has a 2.22 ERA. Wait until he gets in his groove.
- If you haven’t read TJ Simers interview with the Dodgers’ owners, you might not want to. If ignorance is bliss, you should not read it. There is still something about this deal that doesn’t pass the smell test. If it upsets you that I say that, you aren’t facing reality. The LA Dodgers have the best record in baseball and the attendance was just 24,312 last night. Yes, I know the Lakers were playing (they were on the court, but not really playing), but fans aren’t exactly embracing the new ownership. McCourt’s stench remains.
- Jarred Massey’s Minor League Report -5/14/12