It’s Not The Heat, It’s The Humidity

By now, you all should know that Clayton Kershaw doesn’t pitch well at Coors’ Field.  His ERA is 5.85 there.  Not so impressive.

In case you haven’t heard, Vin Scully calls Clayton’s curveball “public enemy number one.”  However, in Coors it is called “Little Sisters’ of the Poor.

As impressive as Kershaw is, a guy that has a strong curveball is SOL in Coors.  Yesterday, the humidity was 25% while the heat was 72 Degrees at Coors Field.  That got me to thinking, so I contacted several scientists, physicists, endocrinologists, rocket scientists, gynecologists, psychologists, meteorologists and baseballologists and this is what the conclusion was:

Clayton can’t pitch well at Coors!  Of course, I made all that stuff up – I didn’t talk to anyone but my dog – but he agreed with me – of course he did!  If the humidity was 40% Clayton would have pitched a no-hitter.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Dodger News & Notes:

• I thought that it was incumbent upon Don Mattingley that he get tossed when the runner was called out at first base.  Todd Helton even said he wasn’t in the “same area code.”  It may not be Donnies’ M.O. to day that, but I think that for the sake of your team, you have to just go ape$hit!  That fires guys up.  Donnie missed a golden opportunity to deliver some showmanship!
  • Bobby Abreu?  Adam Kennesy?  I’ll take Abreu!  Hands down.  Make it so. Caveat – as long as he is fine being a pinch hitter and spot starter.  If Abreu can accept his role, he just might be very good at it.  Uribe will probably go to the DL, which will mercilessly prolong the Adam Kennedy era.
  • I am very impressed with AJ Ellis, but I wonder if the Dodgers should keep him batting 8th?  I’m not saying he should be ,oved – there are advantages, but I wonder…
  • I feel better in knowing that Magic Johnson actually 3-4% of the Dodgers.  This should be fun!
  • Stick a fork in Scott Elbert.  RogerCraig nailed it – Elbert has a fragile psyche.
  • James McDonald is pitching very well for the Pirates as a starter.  He has a 2.97 ERA.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – May 2, 2012

21 Responses to “It’s Not The Heat, It’s The Humidity”

1. Mike Dixon says:

I wonder why Magic would invest over $50 million in the Dodgers if he were to have “very little skin in the game”….That’s a lot of money to invest in a team to just be “the front man”….O we’ll, I guess him taking over McCourt’s office is just a publicity stunt…..right Mark…

• Mark_Timmons says:

Mike,

Maybe you speak a different language, but I write in English and here is what I said:

“Magic Johnson is simply the front-man and has very little skin in the game. He could be replaced tomorrow.”

I DID NOT say it was a publicity stunt – YOU DID! I said he was the front man, which he is and that he had very little skin in the game, which he doesn’t.

Let’s assume that he has invested $50,000,000 in the Dodgers (we don’t know if he has that much invested or not). At any rate, if you bought a business for $1,000,000 and I invested $40,000 in that business, I would have about the same percentage ownership as Magic has in the Dodgers and compared to you, I would have very little skin in the game.

Magic is the front man and has very little skin in the game. We evidently agree on that, so what’s the problem?

Sometimes, we fans want the first month of the season, to be played like the last month. That old expression — games won in April take the pressure off the games in September. Or something like that.

But — as managers and coaches know — some players are a work in progress. Closers, long-men in the pen, lefty specialists, pinch hitters, etc. Some players have to work their way into those responsibilities.

I have the feeling that by the end of July (or so) the team will have several changes to give this team a solid chance. Right now, there are still too many holes to win it all.

You all know the holes. After one month and one start – Kershaw is still only 2 & 0 after 6 starts.

Only 2 hitters are hitting over .300 (Kemp and A.J.).

Too many 9th inning type games. Keeps fans tuned-in, but hard on the health.

Maybe Donnie tried really hard to get tossed, he tried to throw his hat but it got stuck in his gold glove hands, and maybe the ump realized that he blew the call so bad that he lost his right to toss Donnie out of the game.

I still like Abreu over Kennedy if he is not a cry baby on the bench.

Ellis’ face and actions are so much more confident this year. Clark Kent to Superman?

Magic – 4% of 2.15 billion = a movie theater full of money

Elbert is a thrower not a pitcher, always has and always will be, and some of us have called that for years.

Even Elbert could throw up in Pittsburgh way. No pressure.

A day off for Stan and Ned to ponder the bullpen issues. Hmmmmm!

And by the way which batters are no longer hot?

The best Dodger batters over the last 7 games

Ellis AJ .400
    Kennedy .333
    Treanor .333
    Ellis .318
    Uribe .308
    Gwynn .300

I’ve always thought that left handed reliever thing was overrated. Good pitchers get hitters out, regardless of what side they throw from.

If Elbert sucks, then send him down to work on his pitches, and bring up Tolleson. I’m guessing some of Tolleson’s strikeouts have come against leftie hitters!!

What was the last business venture Magic failed at?
    When was the last time Magic let the community down?
    Of course he is a PR Frontman. He is the Jeanie Buss of the Dodgers now. What is wrong with that? If he sways free agents to believing their star can shine brighter in LA, That is what he will be used for.
    Stan Kasten is our guy. Baseball decisions will be Stan’s department. He is the one we should care about. If anyone believes Magic is makinga difference in the product on the field you are crazy. He is a small part of the group. In fact I would make the case that he was only asked to be a part of the group to gain favor with the city and be a face of the group so yesterdays headline wasn’t “WHO ARE THESE GUYS?” or “MORE OUT OF TOWNERS GET THEIR SHOT AT THE DODGDERS”.
    Relax guys.
    As for what McCourts cut of the future development is or what he gets now…who cares. He is gone he has no influence and winning will be the cure to the rest of the world not giving a crap either. Lets move forward.

What was really sickening was Magic calling Vin Scully, “VINCE”.

Really? C’mon man!! Vince?

Just like that great announcer that used to call Magic’s games Vick Hearn! He was great. Good ol’ Vick Hearn and Stooge Lance. Awesome.

Welcome to the Dodgers, Magic. Where Randy Koufax and Lon Drysdale used to put it down. And who could forget Kurt Gibson’s home run, right? I’m just glad Vince was there to call it.

8. DodgerDude says:

Classic:

He is the Jeanie Buss of the Dodgers now.

Romo,

What was the last business venture Magic failed at?

When was the last time Magic let the community down?

I don’t know the last one, but I do know that Magic and some partners opened up some Starbucks in Indianapolis that were in some very unsavory areas and they all failed.

I think there were 7 or 8. I mean, Ray Charles could have seen that their locations were horrible. It was a stupid move.

So Magic isn’t perfect, but he’s better than Jeanie Buss anyday!

;)

I have no problem with Magic – I like him – I just don’t think he’ll be long for this gig!

10. jerry says:

i mention the other day .that when a young picture leave the dodger…he becomes a better pitcher. like james MCdonald, still dont like honey, and he is the one who gives advice to donny boy.

Mark his track record in LA is pretty good (outside of basketball).

His movie theatres even his Starbucks are all in inner cities. Underserved, under privledged, (name your way of saying poor) communities. We may not agree on his exact record,but around the country he has taken those shots with his own money for the most part to try and revitalize poor areas and won more than he has lost.

Saying he is our Jeanie Buss was not a diss or a slam. Everyone loves Jeanie. Jeanie does the talk shows. Handles marketing. Is beloved in the community. Isn’t that what Magic himself said he is going to do? What the heck can he do for a baseball franchise? He loves LA, we love him. Marketing LA and the Dodgers is a slam dunk for him. (unintended pun)

Romo,

I also like Magic. I\’ve read his book and think he\’s a good businessman. Guggs & Co is \”all in\” on this deal. Magic is not. There\’s nothing wrong with what he is doing – I would just be surprised if he does it for a long time. He has too many other interests… and that\’s OK.

He\’s here. NOW!

13. Corey says:

Hello Belly, goodbye Mcdougal. Guess, Bellisario can’t be worse that McDougal…..can he?

“Bobby Abreu? Adam Kennesy? I’ll take Abreu!”

Maybe so. But I look at it more like “I’ll take neither”.

I know that even with well-heeled owners, all the moves made by the Dodgers won’t be blockbusters. And sometimes, adding and subtracting small pieces makes sense. But if Abreu is a shell of what he once was (the Angels apparently think so), and a defensive liability in a league w/o a DH, I don’t see where he adds very much. Besides, other than playing first base, he and Kennedy, besides pinch hitting, have different roles. The Dodgers have Gwynn, Kemp, Ethier, and Rivera in the outfield. And Jerry Hairston can play out there also. Do they need another outfielder, especially one who can’t play defense? I don’t think so. And what’s his value at first base, where we have Loney and Rivera, not to mention Van Slyke and Sands on standby in ALBQ.

I don’t know how effective Belisario will be, but for me, designating MacDougal is addition by subtraction. And who goes when Guerrier comes off the DL? Coffey? Wright? Elbert? But we do have new ownership, so maybe a more substantial move is in he works. And my guess is, which I believe I’ve mentioned before (as have others), this team will likely look significantly different as the coming months come and go. The August-September Dodgers will almost certainly look considerably different than the current version.

Rumor has it that Bobby Abreu is a Dodger

It’s been announced. Now I hope I’m wrong. Actually, he will probably replace likely DL bound Uribe in the short term (which in itself is not a bad thing), and then down the road who knows what will happen. I’m not in love with the move, but for what amounts to a prorated portion of the MLB minimum salary, it’s not something that can’t easily be reversed (if necessary). In the meantime, young guys like SVS and Jerry Sands get some more time down in ALBQ. to sharpen their game.

In terms of moves, I am guessing that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hairston should start at 3rd and Uribe should be the super-sub 2 -3 days per week.

Good signing of Abreu. He should workout fine until 7/31st.

When Uribe is on the DL Sellers will be back. Up and down all year?

Glad Skinny MacEffort was DFAd. Time for Donnie to motivate and see who stays and who does not produce and is gone by 7/31. A new owner and pressure/motivation to win.

I like the partial platonning that Donnie has been doing over the last few games.

Hopefully the bullpen is partially rested now.

Kemp is in a slump. Time to not roll over the top hand on those inside pitches like he did in spring training.

18. Kayla DeAngeles says:

Hairston the only one stepping it up today until now, with Dee joining him. Time for Kemp to go yard… or at least double…

Oh damn, called strike.

Bill Russell and I must be the same guy. My picture changed to match his. Hope Abreu works out, but I’m waiting for something bigger, a lot bigger. If and when that comes, there could corresponding moves that could include the departure of Uribe and others. I wouldn’t even begin to speculate, except only that I expect significant changes between now and 7/31.

Of course, I meant my picture two posts ago.