Here Comes the Cavalry

• Matt Kemp to the rescue.  It appears he is rested and ready after homering in his two rehab starts. The Dodgers survived without him and should be better with him back.
  • SVS is most likely the “odd-man-out.”  Juan Rivera will be back on Thursday and Jerry Sands will say bye-bye too.  A platoon in LF between Abreu and Rivera could yield some nice results.  It will cut into Tony Gwynn’s time.
  • The Dodgers evidently did not like Chuck Crim leaking the fact that Nate Eovaldi was being re-called so they called up LH Michael Antonini instead.  He has been up twice this year and has never pitched.  He was sent down after the game and Nate Eovaldi was recalled.  He will start today in Ted Lilly’s place.
  • Why have the Dodgers not did an MRI on Lilly, as yet?
  • The Dodgers have allegedly offered Roy Oswalt a contract.  We’ll see – he wants to go to Texas…
  • Jared Massey’s 5/28/2012 Minor League Report
  • My lineup for tonight:
  1. Hererra  2B
  2. Hariston 3B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Abreu  LF
  6. Ellis  C
  7. Loney  1B
  8. Gordon  SS

21 Responses to “Here Comes the Cavalry”

1. I hate nit picking but it’s a headline so… here comes the “cavalry” would be the correct verbiage. Calvary is the name of my church.

Then let’s all pray the Dodgers continue to score 5 a game.

Me and BRuss are headed to the stadium tonight. I am REALLY excited to see Eovaldi in person. I really liked his stuff last year. I think (like Mark has said) he may ultimately see time in the bullpen. But he has stretches of brilliance last year.

The best thing about getting the troops back (Kemp /Rivera) is the strength of our bench just got a shot in the arm. Abreu and Gwynn will be well served seeing spot action and providing veteran bench help. I still like Herrera & say he is our 2B for the time being.The dude can hit. I may even slide him to SS to spell Gordon. I would look for 3B help putting Hairston back in super sub position. That would be one helluva bench. DFA Adam Kennedy Please!!! I will be amazed if he sees August in a Dodger uniform.

Lastly I will be shocked if Roy Oswalt is a Dodger. I just don’t see it happening.

Peace fellas

Well as everyone predicted, Oswalt to sign with Rangers.

Sands was sent packing and SVS is still around for another pinch hit dinger.

Todays starting lineup

Gwynn LF, De Jesus 2B, MattKemp CF, Ethier RF, Hairston 3B, Loney 1B, AJEllis C, Dee Gordon SS, Eovaldi P

If the Dodgers platoon in LF, Abreu will see more action than Rivera. Whatever the case, there will still be a veteran presence on the bench, with Abreu/Rivera, Gwynn, etc.

3B help would be nice. Hairston is best suited to a utility role. And besides, the Dodgers need at least another bat in the lineup to strike fear into opposing teams, and to make it more difficult for them to pitch around anyone.

A larger threat than Loney at 1B would also be nice. Now that I said that, Loney will probably get white hot.

8. Anonymous says:

You hit it on the head Brooklyn. If we can get another big bat at 3B we can live with Loney.

9. RogerCraig says:

That’s the question. Who is there to get for 3B that is a big bat? Evan Longoria? Yeah, that could happen.

It’s much much harder for us to get a major 3b (yes, I know most 3b are an upgrade over Uribe), than it is for us to get a major 1b. There’s just sooooo many better 1b than 3b out there.

If we can’t get Longoria, or Wright, or one of the elites, I dont know if an avg 3b will significantly upgrade us at 3b. I think it’ll be much easier, and we’ll have many more opportunities, to trade for a major impact 1b (i.e. Justin Morneau).

I’d clearly rather have Loney and David Wright than I would, say, Morneau and Uribe, but I think Morneau/Uribe is a lot more likely.

We can go find a major 3b this offseason if we have to. However, if we have a shot to trade for an impact bat for 1b this season, I think we have to.

11. ken says:

11-4 Dodger win. Kemp with 3HRs.
    Well a person can Dream can’t he? :)

Oswalt to Texas, in that ban-box where the baseball can fly out . . . I hope he like it.

Well now, the seats are not even warm and Braun bombs the Dodgers and his buddy Matt with a HR . . .

Now that Kemp is back, the Dodgers will . . . .

14. Jae says:

be better.

Quite frankly I don’t know who’s available at 3B. But I don’t think the Dodgers have to get a superstar to fill the position. Just a solid player with on base skills, and the ability to drive the ball down the lines and into the gaps for extra base hits. That’s certainly an improvement over Uribe, and also Hairston, who will not continue to hit .370. Hairston entered this season as a lifetime .258 hitter. Unless he just has a career year, Hairston is likely to end this season in the .270 – .280 range. To expect much more is unrealistic.

And while the Dodgers are at it, I would also like to see an upgrade at 1B. I don’t know if Morneau is worth the risk. If the Dodgers have done their due diligence, then they can decide if the risk is worth taking. It’s not something that I have enough information about to make an informed decision. But then again, I’m not the one making the decisions. Whatever the case, I’m just no longer satisfied seeing Loney in the lineup.

Any reason why Mattingly chose to start Gwynn in front of Abreu tonight? I’m guessing he just wanted speed in the lead-off spot, and isn’t ready to return Gordon there.

16. ken says:

Is the Cavalry led by Custer? Where is the offense?

Dodgers needed both: Cavalry and Calvary last night — why? Some young pitcher was pitching against them. Like the other night with Houston, that guy had never won a game on the road.

So congratulations to Michael Bruce Fiers of the Brewers. I see his college was: Nova Southeastern — where in the world is that! Oh, I see, it is in Florida.

And, welcome back Eovaldi. Pitched 7 nice innings. 4 hits, 2 runs. He deserved to win. If only he had a better team backing him up.

ken asked: “Where is the offense?”

You’re looking at it.

I think it’s safe to say that the Dodger offense is going to evolve into Kemp, Ethier and the 6 Towers of Tapioca. I will take Brooklyn’s statement about Hairston and extend it to De Jesus .286, Ellis .315 Herrera .302, Abreu .329, Treanor .290, and even Gwynn probably won’t stay at .277. We can also assume that Kemp won’t hit .355 and Ethier won’t hit .324. Van Slyke and Sands don’t look like they are going to help, Loney might get a little better, then there is Kennedy, Uribe, Sellers……. The Dodger offense has started the year on fire, but all logic tells us it will cool off.

Eovaldi pitched very well. The bullpen did it’s job. The Dodgers got outpitched last night, and with this offense, it is going to happen now and then.

Before it’s all over, the West WILL turn into a dog fight.

Brooklyn asked about starting Gwynn over Abreu. I think you are right. It’s about who leads off for this team. I said early that I thought this was going to be something of a mark-time year (those who ever did any close order drill will know what that means) for the Dodgers and that if it were me, and it isn’t, I would just leave Gordon in the lineup at lead-off and try to teach him how to steal first base. I regurgitate, this team has no legit lead-off hitter and I will repeat something else, this team has no legit #2 hitter. We have Kemp and Ethier and six 6-8 hitters. Abreu is a great option off the bench, AJ has been hitting over his head all year (he will settle down to what fangraphs has for him). It’s a long year.

I hear you about Loney Brooklyn. He is what he is. By the end of the year, he will do what he always does. I have said before and I will say it again, he is a perfect fit for the Astros and that park. Send him home, and he will hit .290, 20 HR’s and drive in 85 for them.

No need to panic. But there is a need to look at this team objectively. I am sure management knows this.