Grow the Arms, Buy the Bats

I think that was/is Logan White’s Mantra.  Logan wants to draft pitchers and if he doesn’t draft a pitcher, he converts the guy into one (Loney, Martin, Jansen).  That tells me that the Dodgers will be loathe to trade young arms… and that is good. What that means is that you shouldn’t expect the Dodgers to make  a blockbuster deal for a hitter.  If someone wants to unload salary, then that might be a match, but the young studs down on the farm are off limits!  Very cool!  I listened to Stan Kasten on Mason and Ireland and he is on fire!

Mark Walter has 100% control pf the Dodgers.  Stan Kasten is President.  Magic Johnson is an investor and owner whom Kasten would like to be involved as much as possible.  I think his title is the same as Tommys’.

Buster Posey and Migel Montero are the best catchers in the NL (statistically).  If there is a third catcher for the All-Star Game, who is better than AJ Ellis?  Maybe Brian McCann, but his BA is .232.  Right here, right now, AJ Ellis is better.

Casey Blake officially retired, although his body retired two years ago.  I wouldn’t mind  seeing him back in Blue as a Coach.

OK, here’s the deal of the day.  James Loney and Allen Webster to the White Sox for Paul Konerko.  Konerko is owed about $25 mil this year and next, so the Sox get salary relief.  The Dodgers get another bat.

Lineup:

1. Gordon  SS
  2. Ellis  2B
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier RF
  5. Konerko  1B
  6. Rivera/Abreu  LF
  7. Uribe 3B
  8. Ellis C

Flash:  This just in – Clayton Kershaw is human!  Who knew?

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report -5-08-12

11 Responses to “Grow the Arms, Buy the Bats”

1. Dusto says:

I’m ok with that deal. I like Konerko a lot and think he can add to this years team, though I am skeptical about next year.

Hey, new guy on the team. When an aging power hitter arrives, puts on the new uniform, new hat, and say hello . . . at some point in the first five or six games is supposed to hit a HR in the 8th or 9th inning to win a game.

We are waiting.

Or, take a seat at the end of the bench.

We knew Kershaw was human. I don’t believe he ever had an ERA of 0.00 for a season. He just can’t make a mistake with this offense behind him.

Assuming Konerko is healthy, still productive, etc., I’d make that deal in a heartbeat. I might have seen Webster once, but don’t really remember him. Maybe he could turn out OK, but I’m hopeful that our new ownership can fill-up the pipeline behind him. So I wouldn’t worry that he’d turn out to be a consistent winner. The Dodgers need bats right now more than anything else. I don’t want to see our third baseman bunting with two runners on and no outs again.

Rivera to the DL with a bum leg, and Scott Van Slyke called up!

I’d love to see him get some PT (not sure about tonight, as they don’t know if he’ll arrive by game time)

5. RogerCraig says:

I am anxious to see Van Slyke. Left field is where he belongs.

For April, the Dodgers were: 16-7

4-5
    2-3
    0-12
    3-4
    2-4
    2-6

Total games in April, the Dodgers played 20 with the score by 2 runs or less — and only 8 games with bigger margins.

That will wear out a pitching staff at that rate.

May, so far 7 games:

Wins – 3 so far.
    7-6
    5-1
    9-1

Losses – 4 so far.
    5-8
    4-5
    3-4
    1-2

4 games with only two or less runs deciding; 3 games not as close.

Year to date: 19 – 11

Total games with 2 or less runs: 19 wins, 11 games with more of a blow-out.

7. chuck says:

As previously said, I am afraid that the weak hitting dodgers will eventually wear out the pitching staff (how long can they stay this good) and our weaknesses will show through. Kemp and Either will not be monsters all year (hopefully most of the year) who is going to lead them AJ? Rivera? Abreu? Loney???????????

We have the basis for a great team; IF WE could just get a 1B, 3B and RF then we can go for the gusto.

Get to work Ned.

8. RogerCraig says:

I think the change may have to come from within if it is true that Stan Kasten wants to grow the arms. The Dodgers don’t have a lot to trade to get a hitter unless they give up pitching. Van Slyke, Sands, Castellanos and others need to get a “look-see.”

I am utterly bored watching this game

Our offense just looks horrible

10. Joe says:

Billsingly was disappointing tonight. Gaints offense is one of the weakest right now and he couldn’t get to the 5th. Good to see VanSlyke get a hit his 1st time up, hopefully more to come from him.

If Konerko is brought back, I would like an official apology from Tommy Lasorda.

I will never forget Tommy trading Konerko for Jeff Shaw while the Dodgers were in SF. A young Konerko had to make that awful walk of shame accross Candlestick Park to the visitors clubhouse. Stay classy Tommy!