Gordon is in Beast-Mode!

403 foot HR by Dee Gordon?  He has evidently been eating his Wheaties.  What a Beast!  Let’s just hope he doesn’t start trying to do that….

I don’t put too much stock in the fact that Lindblom and Jansen got rocked a little last night – Hey, it’s Coors and you just don’t get much “bite” in your pitches.  They haven’t pitched much there, if at all.  What surprised me is that Mattingly didn’t use Jamey Wright!  The Dodgers will have some more options soon, but they will also have to make some choices.  Scott Elbert has pitched only 6-1/3 innings.  If that is all they are going to use him, they might as well give his spot to Belisario.  They might lose him to a waiver claim, but what have they lost if they don’t use him?  Hopefully, a healthy Matt Guerrier will be back soon too. Mike MacDougal could be the odd-man-out!

The Dodgers need Jamey Wright, Ron Belisario and Matt Guerrier to step up and eat some innings.

Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times has 10 tough questions for the new owners.  I wonder how many they will answer?

It’s an afternoon at Coors with Kershaw at the helm.

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – May 1, 2012

25 Responses to “Gordon is in Beast-Mode!”

Amen. However, we should no longer be surprised with how Torre Jr. uses the bullpen. If he continues to play for today and not for the full season then the Dodgers will flame out this summer. The great play of Kemp has made up for the poor managing of the bullpen. It is time for the new CEO to call Ned and Torre Jr. into his office and lay down the law regarding how to manage a bullpen. Every pitcher in the bullpen should pitch 60 to 80 innings per year, no more and no less. Put the losers in the game lose some games and then either the loser relievers will get better or they will get DFAd and the young guns like Tolleson will be up by June. That way the relievers that will be needed in OCTOBER will not have sore arms. Doh.

Belly’s arm, per Honeycutt, is not currently in shape to go more than 1 inning. Will Guerrier be treated with kid gloves when he comes of the DL?

I still shake my head every time I see a Torre or Torre Jr. catcher set up for a low and inside pitch to a left handed batter.

Parking will be lowered from $15 to $10!!

Mark Walters seems like a very good person. I am glad to see the Dodgers have moved from a parking lot owner to an ATTORNEY !!!

He actually hit two homeruns yesterday. The first one was foul and then he straightened it out for one that counted. I’m afraid this might make him hit the ball in the air for awhile.

I still like the way Don’s running the team dispite what others are saying in here. I could be wrong but I could be right. Go Blue

There is a hugh differrence between an ownership interest and a “profits” interest in legal entity that owns the parking lots. Presuming that Magic told the truth today FM will someday participate in the financing, development, and profits in any commercial and residential real estate development, and nothing else.

I’d like to see the work in the bullpen spread out, but I also agree with Bill regarding Mattingly’s running of the team. Overall I think he’s done a terrific job, both this year and last year, and in very difficult circumstances. I wasn’t too thrilled when he was given the reins, but it appears to me that he’s earned the respect and devotion of his players.

I thought about how Gordon might react after hitting the HR. But I didn’t see any change in his approach later in the game. I don’t think he’s Rafael Furcal, who always became homer happy after hitting one. Hopefully the Dodgers will add a piece or two to the lineup. But I also believe that we will begin to see a greater contribution of Gordon as the season progresses. He could suddenly just break out, or he could gradually just become more consistent with the bat. Whatever the case, I believe that by seasons end he will be a pivotal piece in the offense.

7. The dodgers are the best in the nl yet there’s complaining. Save the criticism for when there losing is what I say

LA Times is reporting that Uribe re-injured his wrist during BP yesterday, and now could be headed to the DL.

I wonder who would come up? Fields? SVS? Eovaldi again because we use 8 pitchers a day?

Kershaw in another one of those — “Why can’t these teammates of mine score more runs . . . I could lose this game or have nothing to do with it!!!”

10. Kayla DeAngeles says:

Dee was heard to say, after smacking it, “Take that, Kayla!” Or maybe it was Brooklyn Dodger… ;^)

Sheesh, after the offense stepped up so beautifully (how about that Mark Ellis, huh?), Lindblom nearly blew it.

Don “My Bad” Mattingly mismanaged Loney again last night.

Beautiful presser this a.m.; happy days are here again.

11. Mike Dixon says:

Dee!!!

12. Jae says:

Even Ray Charles could see that Kershaw was outta gas. Kershaw doesn’t pitch well at Coors. Today is about par for the course for him. We need more pitchers.

Elbert sucks!

The bullpen is in mouse mode
    Kershaw did not have it today
    I would have pulled him after the 7th and I also would have walked Kemp. Baseball is funny that way.

Can you forward our e-mails to fanbox@ladodgers.com? :)

Elbert’s got the stuff, but he’s a thrower, not a pitcher. And correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s fastball and slider, and nothing offspeed. A changeup, and better control would do wonders for Elbert. But that’s easier said than done. I don’t know of any lefthanders in the Dodger organization that are ready for the show, so that’s a need the Dodgers should probably be looking for. Maybe two of them, depending on whether Elbert can get his act together.

By the way, although the Dodgers lost, Dee did it again today. He’s definitely got some rough edges that need to be smoothed, but he’s also an enormous talent.

15. RogerCraig says:

Elbert has a fragile psyche. I would let him walk, even if he is left-handed. He’s not bullpen material. When things are tight and close, he looks like he is short-arming every pitch.

Didn’t The LA Times say the Dodgers had no interest in Abreu? Like you can believe anything they print…

16. DodgerDude says:

I think Elbert’s stuff isn’t all that. I rarely see him above 91 MPH.

Elbert is only on the roster at this point because he is left handed.

Was not Brent Leach up a couple of seasons ago, with some nice results? If this is the same guy, why not try him from AAA??

Now that teams are pitching around Kemp and most likely Ethier, some changes have to be made in the hitting lineup.

The bench needs some power.

Just watched the D-Backs lose just like the Dodgers tonight. To Washington . . . HR in the last inning with a runner on base.

Stuff is more than velocity. Elbert also has a nasty slider, but doesn’t throw it for strikes consistently. And is inability to change speeds and to locate are critical shortcomings. Like I said above, he’s a thrower, not a pitcher. Elbert’s got better stuff than both Lilly and Capuano, the difference being that they know how to pitch, he doesn’t.

I remember liking Leach when he was with the Dodgers. Don’t remember exactly what he threw, and certainly I don’t know what he’s throwing now.

In any case, the major problem with the Dodgers at the current time is the lack of a balanced offense. If this team was scoring more runs, the bullpen would be less of an issue. For me, the major offensive holes are LF, 3B and 1B. If the Dodgers address at least two of those, the offense will improve and the pressure on the bullpen will diminish. The Dodgers are still sitting in first place, and are trailed by teams that are not likely to take off themselves. If new ownership is committed to building a winner, things will happen. When exactly we don’t know, but most likely within the next few months.

As for the 38 year old Abreu, other than OBP, I don’t see that he provides much more. Whatever power he used to have is diminished, and I’m guessing that he’s a liability on defense. I’d prefer to take my chances with Scott Van Slyke or Jerry Sands. With limited playing time Abreu is also very likely not going to be very productive. Also, something tells me that the Angels probably know what they’re doing.

Abreu is better than Kennedy. Enough said. Plus it always sends a message when you get rid of a player for nonperformance. Most players bear down and improve.

Today the Dodgers lost a battle but Won the WAR. NEW OWNERS!! Boy did some of the new owners really dish FM both impicitly and expressly.

On to the Cubs. Lets win 2!

21. jerry says:

Abreau said he want to be a started..that probably wont happen..

It’s been a while since I last saw Abreu play, but I do suspect that he is a shell of the player he used to be, and definitely not a player fit to play in the NL, where he would have to play defense. Actually, it sounds like Garret Anderson all over again. Besides, picking up the 38 year old Abreu is not exactly the impact move that I’d expect from new ownership. In fact, it smacks of a McCourt move, picking up the cheap veteran. They definitely dissed McCourt today, which is all the more reason not to start emulating him. There are better players, I’m sure, to replace Kennedy with.