Posted on 14 May 2012.
- I am really proud that Don Mattingly got himself tossed after Andre Either got thrown out for arguing balls and strikes. It doesn’t matter if the call was right or wrong. Stand up for your player and you will have their undying respect. You just have to do that sometimes.
- AJ Ellis has earned the #6 spot in the batting order. Leave him at #5 or #6 unless he shows he can’t handle it. This guy has been a real surprise to me. I thought he would be solid, but he is All-Star Caliber! That’s a surprise to me.
- Scott Van Slyke is making a bid for the LF job and everything he does seems to be right. Look for him more – he could become a fixture.
- If Jerry Sands goes on a tear at AAA, look for him to be traded for a bat at 1B or 3B. David Right’s .400 BA could be Wright for the Dodgers if the Mets fall out of contention, which I think will happen.
- Gonzo asked me who I would take – Pujols or Loney? Let me see, Loney for $7 million and 1 year or Pujols for 10 years and $240 million? I’ll take Loney, unless you can guarantee he’ll return to form. I said it would be a bad deal after the first few years. I had no idea it would be bad already. Pujols does not look the same.
- Elian Herrera is a 27 year-old switch-hitting infielder, who can play SS who may get called up tomorrow according to Tony Jackson of ESPN/LA.com. Gordon could be going down or he could replace Kemp after the MRI (if needed). He’s a late-bloomer who can steal a base and has put up excellent numbers at AAA. He’s not an everyday SS in my opinion, but he could fill-in for a few weeks. Personally, it looks to me like Kemp will just miss a few games and not be DL’ed. He wasn’t that hurt. A bad hamstring strain will drop you like you’ve been shot.
- Tony Gwynn is a heck of an outfielder.
- Still the best record in baseball!