Get Out of the PCL!

Badger (thanks for the Postcard) again pointed out the problems with having the Dodgers AAA team at Albuquerque.  With thin air, the curve balls are flat and the balls travel further.  This is bad for pitchers and hitters as well (because the hitters think they are better than they are).  I think it’s time for a change. The Dodgers AA team is at Chattanooga which is in a very competitive and realistic league.  AAA needs to follow suit.

I have the perfect solution… and it benefits me a lot (which may be why I suggest it).  One of the best minor league ballparks in America is in Indianapolis.  The Pittsburgh Pirates are the Major League team which supplies the players and I don’t have to tell you that the Pirates suck!  The solution is for the Dodgers to move their AAA affiliate from Albuquerque to Indianapolis.  They also have an A-Team at Midland, Michigan (Great Lakes Loons).  This makes perfect sense.  The Indianapolis Indians play at Victory Field in Indianapolis, and are a a First-Class organization.  Why not?  And, since I already have press passes at Victory Field (although I have never used them), I can bring you first-class coverage of the new Dodger affiliate.  Get ‘er done!

Trade Idea:  Justin Morneau of the Twins to the Dodgers for James Loney (the Twins save $9 mil, plus $15 mil next year), Zach Lee and Shawn Tolleson.  Throw in Allen Webster if necessary.  The Twins are horrid and need pitching.  Loney is 3 years younger AND makes a lot less than Morneau.  Overpay – get it done!    If they don’t want Loney and want Joe Mauer, whom they are paying $23 mil a year, to play everyday at 1B, send them FedEx instead.  Get it done, Ned!

News & Notes:

• Andre Ethier is quietly one of the best hitters in baseball.  No more Mr. Softee (although some lefties haunt him).
  • Jerry Hariston – 5-5!  WOW!
  • Roy Halladay has a sore wing and was taken out after two innings Sunday.  His stat line is abysmal and a classic example of why you don’t sign aging pitchers to long term deals.
  • It appears that Ted Lilly has an injury.  Thus, Nate Eovaldi may be called up and Roy Oswalt had a private workout for the Dodgers on Friday.  Very interesting….
  • Mark Ellis was on the bench Sunday, just a week after surgery.  He is out for AT LEAST two months, but that should tell you what he is all about!
  • The Dodgers are still the ONLY TEAM is MLB who have not lost 3 games in a row… thus, the best record in baseball.
  • If the Dodgers just play .500 ball the rest of the way, they will win 90 games.  Now, I don’t expect them to keep playing at a .680 clip, I can easily see .520 with the team they have on the field… not counting trades.  The Dodgers will be in the playoffs – Count on it!
  • So, how do you morons who called me a moron when I said that Capuano would win 20 games feel right now?  Yeah, that’s what I thought!

40 Responses to “Get Out of the PCL!”

Well at least I didn’t call you a moron.

I looked at Morneau’s stats, and it appears he could be questionable. I know he’s had injuries, and I can’t say that I’m up to date on his current condition. But he only had 288 ABs last year, and the stats weren’t all that wonderful. And his stats this year aren’t anything to get excited about. Is he really healthy now, or would the Dodgers be paying high in both salary and talent? Seems to me that there might be better alternatives at first base, and I think that 3B is more of a priority.

Dee Gordon seems to be slowly picking it up. Too early to get excited, but he’s looking better. Probably best to keep him hitting 8th for now, and consider moving him back to the top of the lineup later in the season.

Not only do the balls travel farther in the PCL, but the hitters get to hit those flat curve balls, and flat sliders, and flat split fingers, and flat anything that’s not a fastball. Even singles hitters benefit in that league. And as I’ve pointed out, it’s why Eovaldi is in Chattanooga, and not facing AAA hitters. Even if it benefits you I would prefer to see the Dodgers AAA affiliate in Indianapolis, and not anywhere in the PCL. Anywhere other than the PCL is fine with me.

And how long would it take Oswalt to get into pitching shape? I certainly don’t think that the Dodgers should even consider giving him anything approaching a big dollar long term deal. He’s one of those aging pitchers you alluded to above. Big dollars short term is even questionable in his case.

In short, Morneau and Oswalt were good guys to have around in their heyday. But I ask, are their productive days behind them. I don’t want the Dodgers adding names, I want players who can still produce at a high level. They don’t have to be big names, just currently productive players.

• DodgerDude says:

I guess if stats are all you look at, I agree. He had a concussion last year that cost him most of the season. So, if it’s stats, you won’t like him. He’s a risk, but who the hell else are you going to get?

2. Mike Dixon says:

Hey Moron the prediction was 20 games not 7….

3. Dusto says:

You’re still a moron. I still feel good about it.

• DodgerDude says:

You are the freaking moron.

No, that’s a compliment.

You are a complete idiot.

Everytime you open your stupid piehole you prove it.

• Jae says:

Why do you even post? You are too stupid to know when to breathe, asshole.

Capuano was a nice addition to the rotation. I thought that during the winter and I still think it was a good move. But predicting 20 before the season, I believe was stretching it a bit. But one never knows. But here are some sobering stats.

In 2006 Capuano was 10-4 with a 3.21 in the first half and 1-8 with a 5.17 in the second half.

In 2011 he was 8-8 with a 4.12 in the first half and 3-4 with a 5.08 in the second half.

But having a difference of a opinion doesn’t make anyone a moron. Anyone who thinks so, is, in fact, a moron.

The Dodgers should just give Albuquerque to the Rockies and they can make it their AA club. We get Tulsa in return, it becomes our A club, and the town that has weather and altitude most like Dodger Stadium, Rancho Cucamonga, becomes our AAA club and they build the field the same dimensions as Chavez. Yeah… I know. Not gonna happen. But, Albuquerque is not setting our guys up correctly. Indianapolis? Dodger AAA team in the midwest? eh. That works for Mark, but, does it work for the Dodgers?

Didn’t most of us figure Gordon would be a work in progress? I certainly did not think this was a play-off team, so a full year of OJT at the top of the lineup seemed like a great idea to me.

Capuano 20 wins? He’s never done it, is less than .500 lifetime, but, and I still don’t see it, but, I didn’t see the Dodgers in first place in June either and that’s going to happen. OK Chris, go for 20.

Is Morneau back to stay?

And……..can this team really win 90?

• Glass Is Half Full Again says:

Seeing as I live in Rancho Cucamonga I would go for the AAA team being here!..Better choice for me than Indianapolis!

Before I look like a moron, let me re-phrase my last sentence. It should have read, “Anyone who thinks having a different opinion makes someone a moron, is, in fact, themselves a moron.”

Badger, that piece on Morneau tells me that he shouldn’t even be considered by the Dodgers, especially if it involves trading away valuable talent that could be part of the Dodgers’ future, or talent that could be spun off in another deal.

I actually really like the idea of Morneau. Granted I wouldn’t give up that package Mark suggested (not for a guy coming off a concussion, hitting .240 so far, and making $15mil a year).

I do agree that 3b probably is more pressing, as Sands/SVS ( and I think eventually O’Koya Dickson) can handle 1b (plus there’s always tons of good 1b around). I wonder if Pedro Baez has proved to anyone yet that he can handle 3b? Lemmerman maybe to 3b? Alex Santana becoming our Alex Rodriguez?

But if Minny does want to shed salary, get some minor league talent, and move Mauer to 1b, then he’s a great trade candidate.

I don’t know if anyone plays in Vegas now, but it was great having the Dodgers play in Vegas for AAA. I think the stadium there sucked, but it’s
    more sea level than Albq is.

8. Mike Dixon says:

So Mark suggest we trade our top prospect, last year’s Minor League pitcher of the year and Loney for a guy hitting .237 and owed 14 mil this year and next….now who is the moron?….

Morneau, if healthy, is NOT a .237 hitter. The guy has, had, mad skills with the bat. The question is, is he healthy or not? If he is, he is worth the money. If he isn’t fully recovered, then he is certainly not worth the money. I doubt anyone really knows, but I say, at this time, not worth the risk. Not for our highest rated prospect. We are probably going to need Lee, and every other pitcher we have in the minors, as this team, and this organization, does not actually have a plethora of great bats.

Minnesota might decide to dump his salary for a lot less than what Mark just offered. But what we need to get if we are getting rid of Loney, is what Loney does not offer – a corner bat that strikes fear in opposing pitchers.

Dixon,

You are a COMPLETE IDIOT!

Say something with some thought or just shut up.

I feel stupider when you post.

Dusto,

If you had half a brain, your friends would think you were gifted.

Morneau missed most of last year with A CONCUSSION. You have to give up something to get something.

I will start deleteing your posts if you don’t at least show a modicum of intelligence.

• Mike Dixon says:

Like I said trading arguably your 2 top prospects for a guy hitting .237 is asinine….think those buffet tables have been clouding your brain….and I don’t need to keep posting to make you feel stupider….you already got that covered…..

Feel free to disagree with me – Don\’t just be a complete ignoranus!

Badger has a valid argument – Have a take – Do not suck!

13. RogerCraig says:

Mark presents a position. Some of you disagree and state a cogent argument. Others just disagree and have no basis for arguing.

They are idiots!

I agree with you, Mark.

I just don’t know about Morneau…

14. Todd says:

Hey Mike Dixon,

Weren’t you the one who predicted the Dodgers would finish 4th or 5th in the NL West?

What credibility do you have?

I hate your posts. Kiss my ass.

15. Jae says:

Disagree, but give me something relevant that I can think about.

I don’t want drivel.

Great win today. Some of the triple A guys are getting some at bats and we are still winning. Romo and myself are heading down to the Ravine on Tuesday night. I’m looking forward to the game and hanging out with my Dodger buddy. Should we take a LA Dodger Talk sign? We will be in row K behind home plate, eatin Hotdogs and drinking Brewski’s. We won’t have fat F_ck Fielder to heckle this year so maybe we should take a large syringe with Braun’s name on it. I understand that Nate Eovaldi may be on the bump. Sounds like fun………………… Go Blue

• DRomo says:

I would love to heckle Braun. I wonder how it feels to get boo’d and called a cheater in your hometown? Either way I’m looking forward to hanging out BRuss!

I like Marks Idea of getting Morneau, just not at that price. Lee & Lone, maybe. But Tolleson too? Steep price for someone with an injury risk. Not just concussion but back issues. How about Throwing Bills in and keeping Loney for another trade?

I keep reading the Oswalt idea…. I don’t hate it.. Personally think Oswalt doesn’t have much left. Otherwise he would be pitching already. But I think he could at least give us what Barbara…err..Chad Billingsley is giving us. Also he only costs money, opposed to prospects. Prospects and MLBers are like currency this year to us. I expect Ned to be very active. If we save players and aquired Roy Oswalt we can spend them on 3B &/or more pitching…. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Getting a little testy in here.

I just don’t know that, in the long run, Morneau is that much of an upgrade over Loney. Loney shows up everyday and will eventually do what he always does – .280 with a dozen home runs and around 70 rbi’s. Not great, but, he plays everyday. Can that be said about Morneau?

Having asked that, I just read Morneau is back to his old self since returning from the DL. He has hit 5 home runs since May 16th. If he indeed is back to his pre-injury form, he is worth the money and a couple of top prospects. He is also a Minnesota favorite. I would not be surprised to see him stay there. And, there is the matter of an additional 7+ million a year for the damaged Morneau. That kind of cabbage could be used elsewhere to help the team.

I predicted the Dodgers would be in third place too. It just looked to me like Arizona and S.F. were better. But, Az hasn’t played well, and if Lincecum doesn’t get it turned around the gints don’t have a chance. This division could be had. But make no mistake, the Dodgers will not end the year with a .600+ winning %. It just won’t happen. If all continues to go well for them, they could win 90. But, I think Az will wake up, and S.F. is also better than they have looked. It’s a long season.

18. ken says:

I woke up for this?

If the Dodgers are willing to spend to upgrade the team between now and the July trade deadline, I see no reason why they can’t end the season above .600. Maybe I’m expecting too much, but I still think that new ownership will do something to send a message that they’re serious about winning. Might also be a good business move to get the attendance average into the mid-40 thousands.

Ken, I understand.

60% means winning over 97 games. .620 means winning 100.

Is this team really that good? I would love to think so, but I just can’t. Not with guys like Uribe, Juan Rivera, Mark Ellis, Ivan DeJesus, Adam Kennedy, Jerry Hairston, Tony Gwynn, Dee Gordon hitting at the Mendoza line, Coffey, Elbert, a 38 year old Bobby Abreu? and….. Jamey Wright?…………….

could a team with those guys on it actually win 100 games?

I know anything is possible. Every guy on that team could have career years and it could happen. Do we really think it will?

I am loving this start. But, I can’t help it, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Help me out here……….

I still think this team, and the new owners, are a year away from being serious contenders. Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier can be the nucleus, but we need to get better in LF (or center with Kemp and Ethier on the corners) 3b, 1b, 2b and bench players. So far, our pitching has been exceptional, and being the Dodgers, I don’t expect that to change. It’s what we have always done well.

I want more better hitters throughout this lineup. I think the new owners want the same thing. They want a team that people are anxious to go see. Who wants to see James Loney, Adam Kennedy, and Juan Uribe? I want Rickie Weeks, David Wright and Josh Hamilton type bats in Dodger Blue. People would fill up the Ravine for a team like that.

21. RogerCraig says:

I have been studying the Justin Morneau trade and it makes a lot of sense on a number of levels. The Twin are floundering this year and Joe Maurer needs to play 1B. Morneau is finally healthy again and over a 162 game season he averages 30 HR and 113 RBI with a .851 OPS. Lee, Tolleson and Fedex are exactly what they are called: PROSPECTS. You do not know how they will actually perform.

There are a lot of whispers that Lee is not what he was projected to be. If healthy, Morneau would give the Dodgers the big bat they need at 1B. Morneau batted in over 100 Runs for 4 straight seasons. Loney doesn’t come close to Morneau offensively, although he is much superior defensively. In the same 162 game projections, Loney averages 14 HR and 85 RBI with a .775 OPS.

Morneau hits lefties well and at 31 is in his prime. He has won the MVP once and finished 2nd once. This guy is a big time slugger on a team that needs to rebuild. Part of the reason is that there aren’t many other choices at 1B. You have to have a team that is struggling and with the player you need. I can’t think of too many others.

Some of you don’t like the trade, but at least Mark is thinking – you are just criticizing. Why not come up with a better idea if you are so smart?

• mike dixon says:

Well let’s just trade all of our prospects then since they are just” prospects” …..you use to be a pretty good poster…what happened…?

22. Jae says:

I could see the Dodgers signing Hamilton. He would be a big time help.

23. ken says:

Elbert – 5.14 – Better look over your shoulder

Fielding – New Category
    Uribe – .944 – Surprise can’t field either
    Gordon – .946 – Wow Uribe is even worse
    Abreu – .947 – Not surprised

Oh no Miles is hitting .333 at AAA – Don’t tell Ned

Since Mike Parsi(AAA 2.57) is probably not ever going to start in LA why not groom him to be a real long reliever who can pitch 3-4 innings every 4 days or as needed?

Time to fire either Colonel Mustard or Logan

Propects- Only 5 out of 20 are even good. They are only batting .200 with the top prospects
    1. Zach Lee – 5.13 Bad
    15. Silverio – DL
    16. Santana – AZL
    17. Wall – 5.23 Ugly
    18. SVS – .136 Ugly
    19. Erickson – .236 Ugly
    20. Smith .258 Bad

If Morneau passes an extensive physical, then I am down with that trade. If he is healthy, there will be number of teams interested. Especially in the AL where he can DH.

Our minor league system has pitchers in it. Anyone down there that can hit ML pitching is already here…. and aren’t exactly ripping it up.

Will Zach Lee go back to qb at LSU? That is what I thought he should do, and what I predicted he would do. The Dodgers may have overpaid for him. Not like that never happened before. Say, I just noticed he hasn’t pitched since May 12, where he got lit up in 3 innings. Is he ok? If so, why hasn’t he been back out there for over 2 weeks?

• Glass Is Half Full says:

Badger..I just went on the Quakes web site and Zach Lee is no longer listed on their roster….He does show up on the Ogden Raptos roster…not sure if he was demoted or what.

I did see him pitch back in April…He had some innings where he totally dominated and looked like he was on his way to AA…then the next inning he got lite up like a Christmas tree!.

Not sure if the radar gun can be trusted but he was topping out around 92-93 mph with his fastball…

25. Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar
    one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam responses?
    If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything
    you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

My blog site concerning technological innovation: outdoor speaker

26. This is the sort of information I’ve long been searching for.
    Thank you for posting this information.