Badger (thanks for the Postcard) again pointed out the problems with having the Dodgers AAA team at Albuquerque. With thin air, the curve balls are flat and the balls travel further. This is bad for pitchers and hitters as well (because the hitters think they are better than they are). I think it’s time for a change. The Dodgers AA team is at Chattanooga which is in a very competitive and realistic league. AAA needs to follow suit.
I have the perfect solution… and it benefits me a lot (which may be why I suggest it). One of the best minor league ballparks in America is in Indianapolis. The Pittsburgh Pirates are the Major League team which supplies the players and I don’t have to tell you that the Pirates suck! The solution is for the Dodgers to move their AAA affiliate from Albuquerque to Indianapolis. They also have an A-Team at Midland, Michigan (Great Lakes Loons). This makes perfect sense. The Indianapolis Indians play at Victory Field in Indianapolis, and are a a First-Class organization. Why not? And, since I already have press passes at Victory Field (although I have never used them), I can bring you first-class coverage of the new Dodger affiliate. Get ‘er done!
Trade Idea: Justin Morneau of the Twins to the Dodgers for James Loney (the Twins save $9 mil, plus $15 mil next year), Zach Lee and Shawn Tolleson. Throw in Allen Webster if necessary. The Twins are horrid and need pitching. Loney is 3 years younger AND makes a lot less than Morneau. Overpay – get it done! If they don’t want Loney and want Joe Mauer, whom they are paying $23 mil a year, to play everyday at 1B, send them FedEx instead. Get it done, Ned!
News & Notes:
- Andre Ethier is quietly one of the best hitters in baseball. No more Mr. Softee (although some lefties haunt him).
- Jerry Hariston – 5-5! WOW!
- Roy Halladay has a sore wing and was taken out after two innings Sunday. His stat line is abysmal and a classic example of why you don’t sign aging pitchers to long term deals.
- It appears that Ted Lilly has an injury. Thus, Nate Eovaldi may be called up and Roy Oswalt had a private workout for the Dodgers on Friday. Very interesting….
- Mark Ellis was on the bench Sunday, just a week after surgery. He is out for AT LEAST two months, but that should tell you what he is all about!
- The Dodgers are still the ONLY TEAM is MLB who have not lost 3 games in a row… thus, the best record in baseball.
- If the Dodgers just play .500 ball the rest of the way, they will win 90 games. Now, I don’t expect them to keep playing at a .680 clip, I can easily see .520 with the team they have on the field… not counting trades. The Dodgers will be in the playoffs – Count on it!
- So, how do you morons who called me a moron when I said that Capuano would win 20 games feel right now? Yeah, that’s what I thought!