Are These Destiny’s Dodgers?

Here we are, just over one-quarter of the way through the season and the Dodgers are riding high.  Injuries have been a factor, but the motto has been “Next Man Up.”  Last night, the next man was Andre Ethier, Matt Freaking Treanor and Justin

Are They?

Sellers.  James Loney even hits a two-run jack!  Next man up tonight!  Capuano pitched like he has been pitching like he has always been pitching this year (LIGHTS OUT) and the pen was impeccable.

By the way, here are Capuano’s projections.  He is on track to go 23-4.  I said he would win 20.  You said I was an idiot.  So far (and a lot can happen), he is ahead of schedule with no signs of faltering.    I see Josh Bell is playing 3B for Arizona.  He will be 26 this year and has done nothing since being traded by the Dodgers.  Maybe he will – maybe he won’t.

Here;’s how the 2012 version of the Dodgers is shaping up as a team:

• 2nd in NL Batting Average – .268 (and everyone says they need to add a bat or two)
  • 2nd in OB% – .340
  • 4th in runs scored – 189
  • 2nd in Pitching ERA – 2.94
  • 2nd in WHIP – 1.17
  • 6th in Defense – The defense has slipped with injuries to Uribe, Ellis and Kemp and Gordon’s erratic play.

Don Mattingly is making a strong bid to be Manager of the Year.  This team bears his stamp.

AJ ELLIS FOR ALL-STAR CATCHER!

Monday’s Minor League News:

• I commented yesterday that Shawn Tolleson was having difficulty at AAA with an ERA near 11.00.  However,  Cole St. Clair, a 6′ 5″ LH out of Rice has a 2.53 ERA in 21+ innings!  He has allowed 16 hits and struck out 18 and has not given up a HR.  He hasn’t closed a game, but his ERA and WHIP (1.13) should get him a look-see as a LH specialist at LA, I would think..  Most other relievers on the team have an ERA of 5+, but not Cole.  That’s extra-ordinary to me!
  • Ethan Martin pitched 5 innings last night and allowed 2 hits while striking out 5 and walking 4.  His ERA dropped to 2.96.
  • Allen Webster has been pitching out of the pen and doing well – temporary or not?
  • John Ely pitched 8 strong innings, allowing 4 hits, 0 runs and struck out 6 while walking 1.  His ERA at Albuquerque is now 3.64.
  • James Baldwin went 5-5 to raise his batting average to .202.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 5-21-12
  • Andy LaRoche is hitting .239 with 3 HR and 11 RBI, but with a .350 OB% for Columbus of the International League.  He will be 30 next year.  Too bad his ship has sailed.  Boy, was I wrong about him.

20 Responses to “Are These Destiny’s Dodgers?”

1. the truth hurts says:

Elian Herrera! Love this kid!

I think AJ Ellis is the man that comes through tonight!

MLB Ranking by position
    P 15TH
    PH 12TH

ERA
    STARTERS 1ST
    RELIEVERS 12TH

Improvement is occurring.

I stand by my proposed trade posted yesterday. BD responded with excellent analysis.

Andy was always an out of shape pull hitter that did not listen to coaching.

Is Ned looking like GM of the year? Continue to build like the 1950 Yankees until the payroll budget is expanded. Platoon Baby Platoon.

Mark, I think a few years ago, you tried:

“Are These Destiny’s Dodgers?” or . . . Destiny’s Dodgers . . .

And it backfired.

Reality check, as many games as the Dodgers have pulled out and or won that were close — can go the other way in June, July, Aug, etc.

We see a different drama this season. If that started to happen, I would think that ownership would make the changes necessary.

But some of these other struggling teams, will get their ships straight and start playing better baseball. That is what makes a season.

I honestly can’t believe what I’m seeing. The only thing I can say is winning is contagious. Matt (Misty May) Treanor going deep??? James (we’ve been waiting for over 3 years) Loney going deep???

We should starting getting back some of our injuried players and having to make the tough decision on who to send down. I believe Harriston, Kemp and Rivera are due back within the week. I guess it’s a good dilema to have. Will Ned be thinking of a trade for another solid bat or starting pitcher? Will Abreu’s success with the Dodgers lead to more playing time in left fielder? Will Adam Kennedy hang on to his spot for another month? Is Juan Rivera in the future plans of this team? I have the questions but who’s got the answers??????

Just read that Rivera isn’t due back until June sometime. So just two guys back within the next 7 days.

Juan Rivera TORE his hamstring. It wasn’t just a strain. He’ll be out for quite a while. By the time he’s ready to return, the Dodgers will likely not need him. And given that more of the season will have passed, there will be less contract to eat when he’s finally let go. Maybe he can be traded, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one.

Maybe the Dodgers are 4th in scoring, but their offense is still wanting. Third base as it stands now is a vast wasteland. And I’ll keep repeating it. Uribe is a waste, and the temporary fill-ins don’t appear to be the answer. And Roger is right. A lot of these close games could suddenly start going the other way. I was never one of those predicting a dire season by the Dodgers this year. I always saw the potential for this team to win. But the reality is that the offense doesn’t strike fear into anyone. Kemp and Ethier can be monsters, but the cast of characters around them, while competent, simply doesn’t strike fear into anyone. And if this team makes the playoffs, which seems likely, they may find themselves scratching for runs against the frontline pitching they’ll face in the postseason. A strong bat at 3B would go a long way in lengthening the lineup, while at the same time taking a bit more of the pressure off of Kemp and Ethier. If third base is all the Dodgers can fill, at least there is some hope that Abreu, SVS, Sands and Loney will be enough at 1B and LF.

It’s been a great start (even better than I think Mark would have predicted). To keep it going, I believe the Dodgers need to use this time to strengthen what could become significant weaknesses as the season progresses. They have the money to fill gaps, and the cushion to take their time over the next couple of months figuring out what’s best for them to do. No hurry right now, but hopefully they get something done between now and the end of July.

And thanks Ken for your generous comment above.

Rivera actually didn\’t tear his hamstring. He ruptured a tendon (which they say is not weight-bearing) in his hamstring. Medically, I guess it is better than a torn hammmy, but he\’s our for at least two months.

Unless Van Slyke and Sands BOTH tank, there may not be a place for him when he returns.

8. Anonymous says:

Unfortunately there will be a place for him. We all know how much Ned loves aging over the hill vets….plus both Van Slyke and Sands have options.

I’ll say it…. Mark, you admitting you were wrong about Andy LaRoche is big of you.

I love this team because of the struggles (health wise) aren’t stopping the momentum. This team is an “all for one” type. And like Mark says that is an extension of Donnie. I love it. Where are all the Wallach shouldve gotten the job folks now?

Speaking of the bunch of I told you so guys. Anyone miss Kuroda or Martin much? How about the “best manager in baseball” (GAG!) Scioscia fans? He is so good he can’t turn around that train wreck.

The future is bright in Dodgertown! Those of us that never left are about to reap the benefits of a fun season!

I think Mark admits when he’s wrong. He also brags when he’s right. It’s all fun.

In 2006, my friends and I were discussing the Dodger “kids”. I said the top 3 that would make it big were Kemp, Kershaw, and Dewitt. I guess 2 of 3 isn’t bad!

11. Joe says:

I remember that TSN cover, still have it somewhere. Does feel like the 88 team right now finding ways to win games behind a great pitching and fundamentally sound ball.

Ruh roh. Destiny’s Dodgers showed up.

And there goes the season.

I don’t know how they are doing it, but who isn’t happy they are building a lead? They are going to need it.

Capuano 23 wins? I’ll take the under. Currently there are 10 pitchers on their way to 23 wins, Hamilton on course for 72 home runs and 188 rbi’s, and David Wright is still hitting .400. How many of those numbers will actually be there at the end of the year? If he wins 18 I’d be thrilled. Just keep the team in the game.

The important thing that I see is all Dodgers are pulling on the same end of the rope. They are drawing ok, 39K+ at home which is 6th, but for some reason they aren’t drawing on the road – 21st. Why? Everybody loves to “BEAT L.A.” and that is why they turn out. Maybe folks aren’t showing up on the road cuz their teams ain’t “Beatn’ L.A.”.

Hey Mark, who are those guys playing the Heat? Haven’t seen an Indy basketball team worth beans in years. Go Pacers.

Badger, are you thinking what I am thinking about: D’sD !!!!!

Josh Bell hit one about 450′. I dint know he could do that.

Destiny’s Dodgers is the kiss of mediocrity, is it not Roger?

Was right under the central line of the eclipse on Sunday. Cool. Climbed Angel’s Landing yesterday. Very cool. Sore today.

That ’88 team did have some outstanding pitching. 3 starers with ERA’s under 3 and a bullpen with nobody over 3.14. Not bad. MVP and the Cy Young on the same team. And, we picked up a couple of decent players in the draft that year.

15. Mike Dixon says:

What a come back….till rally kill Loney steps un and hits into a double play….god I hate him….

Another new hero tonight

The junk yard dogs pulled it out again…………… There’s something in the air or the water cooler. I can just feel it…..

Don’t know if it’s going to last, but De Jesus has been hitting the ball hard since he came back. With Ellis out he could get some time at 2B, and possibly even get some at 3B. Maybe the combination of his having time to recover from a very serious leg injury and natural physical and mental maturity are coming together. Really too early to tell, but you never do know. I used to like him a lot, and maybe I will again.

I still think the Dodgers need a permanent bat at 3B. I don’t see De Jesus as a long term solution to that problem, but if he continues to play well, and continues to hit the ball hard, he is a far better alternative than Uribe, who you all know I am not a big fan of. Just a steady bat that gets on base is really all the Dodgers need at that position now. And if Sands/SVS continue to perform well, then perhaps the offense will be enough.

Having said what I said above, I also understand that I can’t get caught up in the euphoria of the moment. Only time will tell. In the meantime I guess we should all just enjoy it. And no matter what, changes are probably in the works down the road.