AJ Ellis Has Evolved

When I first noticed AJ Ellis about 6 or 7 years ago, I said: “someday¬† this guy will be a good backup catcher in the majors.

Here we are 6 or 7 years later and AJ Ellis is an All-Star Catcher at the age of 31.

How did this happen?

I think this song explains it.¬† AJ Ellis has not settled… he has evolved.

11 Responses to “AJ Ellis Has Evolved”

How about Moyer for our LOOGY? LH hitters only have a .953 OPS against him this year.

OK, maybe not a good idea. But Elbert is worse.

AJ Ellis an All Star? Yeah, I guess so… if the team were picked today. In his last 7 games he is hitting .240. Hope he is not wearing down already. Hang in there AJ. It’s a long year and it is going to be a record hot summer.

A.J. Ellis is not part of the Dodger problem. I figured him to be a .260-.280 hitter with a high OBP. Like in any season he’s likely to have peaks and valleys. If he’s hit .240 in his last 7 games I don’t necessarily see that as a trend. Perhaps he’ll fall a bit more, and then settle into what I thought he would be. That wouldn’t be bad, and I’d certainly settle for it. And if he moves back down to the 8th spot in the order where he can move the order along, that’s fine with me. He came into this season with a lifetime MLB average of .262 and a .360 OBP, albeit in only 206 ABs. In the minor leagues it was .280/.406. Clearly he’s shown the ability throughout his career to get on base, with an OBP that approaches or exceeds 100 points above his average.

I’m not looking for an allstar catcher. I would simply be happy with a catcher who can find his way on base, handle a pitching staff, do a solid job defensively, and throw runners out at a good clip. He’s done all of that. What the Dodgers need to do is surround him with productive bats, which means they need to upgrade at 3B, 1B, 2B and maybe LF. In other words, if the Dodgers had a deep lineup they could afford to carry A.J. Ellis. In fact, if he hits as I described, I wouldn’t really consider that he was being carried. He serves an important role in the lineup, he’s just not a huge run producer. Nor is he anything approaching an automatic out.

In the meantime, the Dodgers will hopefully now have the money to sign a prospect with impact potential behind the plate, and hope that he’s ready in a few years, when an even older A.J. Ellis will likely have returned to backup status, if not before that.

Well said Brooklyn.

I posted his splits earlier, did you take a look at them? Not much of a sample really, but he has struggled in the dog days of June July and August, then rallies again in September. It’s gonna be a hot one this year, not global warming of course, don’t want to suggest that, but I will predict it will be the hottest, driest summer that many areas have seen in decades. (how was Indy 500 Mark?) AJ is going to need some days off, or at least some innings off starting next month. This team will miss his OBP. Treanor won’t give us what Ellis does.

Pitching. That is what is going to keep the Dodgers in the mix until the trade deadline. Unless of course, something is done early.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Loney hitting 2nd. Could this be the start of something?

Indy 500? It was 95 on race day. They say you need 3 bottles of water for every bottle of beer. I couldn\’t carry 3 cases of bottled water and one case of beer into the track. So, I had 2 $80 tickets and stayed home.

Did I mention it was 95?

Why not give Ellis some work at 1B?

Something happened to Matt Kemp again; he’s out of the game.

Hopefully it’s not bad, or the same hamstring

6. Jae says:

Not good…

7. Bball says:

Looks like the magic is wearing thin. Time for new ownership to open up there wallets and bring some of it back

Kershaw with 117 pitches and doesn’t get through 6. Rumors flying around about Kemp, some hopefully ridiculous (broke a knee cap breaking the bat over his leg). Whatever. Looks like he will be down again.

Without him for any extended period of time, I believe this team can be pitched to rather easily.

9. Dave says:

Post Game Blues…

Steve Lyon just said Kemp’s 40-40 days are over. . .that a second hamstring injury following a recently rehabbed hamstring injury will never fully heal and will last the career of the player (I paraphrase)…is Lyon right? full of sh$t? Are the Dodger finally BROKE? IS IT TIME TO FIX IT? Is this road trip and the injuries, especially Kemp’s, going to take our season to the depths of despair? Can we play .500 ball the rest of the season? What will/can the new ownership do?

All good questions Dave.