You Can’t Win ‘em All

But you can expect it… can’t you?  A few observations from last night’s game:

• I hate to dis’ Juan Uribe, but when you go 0-4 a day after going 4-4, it makes me believe that it was pure, blind, unabashed, unadulterated luck.  I’m just sayin’…
  • The ball Matt Kemp tried to catch in the 9th inning?  I expected him to catch it.  It would have been an awesome play, but that’s how high he’s raised the bar.  Not many make that play, but Matt should have.  He also made a couple of outs on the base paths, one of which the umpire blew – it was forgivable, but the other one wasn’t.
  • I keep thinking that the Dodgers might have to trade for a closer.  I don’t think there is a reliable one on the team.  Guerra and Jansen are excellent setup men, but closers?  Not now, not yet!
  • Aaron Harang still doesn’t look comfortable.
  • Is Michael Antonini a viable LH specialist?  We’ll find out….
  • Something tells me that Matt Guerrier might spend a lot of time on the DL this year.
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – April 25, 2012
  • Tony Gwynn and Adam Kennedy can’t hit, can they?  I am being serious!
  • If Rivera’s strained hammy puts him on the DL, watch for Scott Van Slyke.  It’s time.
  • The Dodgers need Ted Lilly to keep pitching like his previous starts and things will be fine today.
  • 44,000 plus – that’s getting better!
  • Chris Carter of REP Interactive offered these videos.  Watch if you like…

17 Responses to “You Can’t Win ‘em All”

1. Corey says:

I’m ready to see Tolleson in the bigs as well. Dump Macdougal and bring Tolleson up

Corey,

I am down with that!

Make its so, Ned!

Just win today, and we take 2 of 3 at home vs. a good team. i’ll take it.

And that Atl closer is good!!!

The NL Central sucks

The Angels Suck

KC Sucks and Broxton is still their closer

The Dodgers played an exciting and close game. Too bad they lost. Kemp had a terrible jump on that ball.

The AL East is good with a very competitive race and Boston sucks

Mikey might just be the much needed 2nd long reliever. Hopefully Coffey replaces MacDougal and Belisario replaces Coffey. That would mean the Belly is on his game again.

Not surprised by Uribe. I said this the other day:

“Was nice to see Uribe take the ball to the opposite field yesterday. But I won’t be swayed by a single good game. If anything, his production yesterday serves as further proof that the Dodger offense would benefit greatly from the addition of a productive bat at 3B. Maybe he can play well enough to garner interest from another team in search of a third baseman, and that the Dodgers can accomodate them by picking up a significant piece of his remaining contract.”

Whether they can dump part of Uribe’s contract on another team, he has got to go. He simply cannot keep his left foot out of the bucket. Overswings and jumps at everything. Uribe’s 4-hit game served as an example of why the Dodgers need a consistent bat at 3B. Having one will result in more runs, by adding production at a position where there is currently none, and by getting the rest of the lineup better pitches to hit, given that Uribe’s automatic out would no longer be present.

Dumping MacDougal would definitely help. As I noted in one or more earlier posts, he simply cannot throw strikes consistently, and his velocity also appears to be down this year. I’m not sure who he should be replaced with, but there have to be better alternatives. Tolleson could be one of those alternatives, and maybe even Eovaldi, at least for the present. And of course, there’s the trade market, or maybe Belisario.

I definitely think that Jansen has closer stuff, and for the most part Guerra has been fine. Part of me would definitely like to see Rivera go on the DL, if only because I ultimately do not think he’s the answer in LF. I still have confidence that Jerry Sands will break out of the doldrums he’s been in so far this year, but it’s probably best for him to remain in ALBQ until he gets his head on straight. So for now, I have no problem with bringing up Van Slyke. Like I’ve said before, I haven’t seen enough of him to make any judgments, and I simply can’t get excited by ALBQ numbers. But being able to hit in ALBQ doesn’t mean you can’t hit at the big league level. So bring him up, and let’s see what he can do. Maybe by season’s end both he and Sands will be in the lineup together.

Kemp does a good job in CF, but there are other CF’s who get better jumps. I still think he’s best suited for RF.

Maybe Antonini can help. Everytime I see Elbert I can’t help thinking how much better he would be if he could throw strikes consistently, and add an effective changeup.

6. Eddie says:

I cant see the dodgers losing again at home but at the same time i dont see it being a blow out by any means! with that said i say take the under and the braves plus 1.5 and ill tell u why on my site as well as give u a nice read to enjoy yourself reading! http://baseballpitboss.com/2012/04/the-rubber-match-between-the-braves-and-dodgers/

It may well be that the Dodgers want to keep Castellanos playing 2B this year. But let’s not forget that he was playing the outfield when the Dodgers acquired him. So, in addition to Van Slyke, he may also be a consideration to be called up if Rivera is DL’d.

I believe that Harang fouled a ball off his foot last night, which is probably why he looked uncomfortable at times last night. Gwynn is what he is, a .250-.260 hitter without power, and a plus defensive outfielder. Kennedy probably just can’t hit anymore. Aaron Miles, despite his penchant for not getting many walks, is looking better and better. And he can switch hit.

Maybe it will take time for things happen, maybe not. Whatever the case, by next week new ownership will be in place. Who knows, maybe Stan Kasten already has something in the works. And maybe not.

Dodgers have to screw it up a notch, now playing these better teams.

Trade MacDougal and Coffey to KC for Broxton :)

• Jae says:

That is like a dog eating it’s own crap.

• Ken says:

Are you saying that you have personal knowledge?

The Dodgers need to do something about the bullpen and how it is managed.

Lindblom on pace for 100 innings

Jensen on pace for 100 innings

Guerra on pace for 80 innings

Elbert only 40

MacDougal only 35

Wright 64

Guerrier on the DL

10. the truth hurts says:

Guerra is the new broxton

11. Всем привет, мне кажется, это отличный сайт.
    Совершенно случайно наткнулся на него ;) Обязательно вернусь сюда, даже закладку сделал.
    Деньги и свобода – лучший способ что-либо изменить, они
    позволяют быть богатым и помогать другим людям.