Rant & Rave Saturday

• Ladies & Gentlemen, let me introduce to your your 2012 Los Angeles Dodgers who now at 7-1, have the best record in Major League Baseball.
  • Koufax didn’t do it.  Drysdale didn’t do it.  Neither did Osteen, Sutton, Valenzula, Messersmith or Kershaw.   Johnny Podres had the Dodger record (which was eight) until Aaron Harang struck out 9 in a row on Friday the 13th.
  • Maybe Harang thinks he has to strike out whatever number of batters correspond to the date he is pitching, since he struck out 13 on the 13th and 8 on the 8th.  I want to see that sucker pitch on the 31st! (OK, I lied – he struck out 6 on the 8th, but it makes for better copy to say 8).
  • Justin Sellers should have thrown the runner out at the plate in the 4th inning.  He had plenty of time.  Bad play!
  • Lilly comes off the DL today and all I know is that the Dodgers cannot send Lindblom back.  I’d send Sellers down for a minute.   Lindblom stays and it’s too early to cut Wright or Coffey (although we are headed down that road).
  • Kenley Jansen is doing his best Jon Broxton imitation and I don’t like it!
  • Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 04/13/12
  • Hitters of note in the minors:
  • Fed-Ex- 1.022 OPS
  • Castellanos – 1.105 OPS
  • Van Slyke – 1.157 OPS
  • JT Wise 1.083 OPS
  • Russell – .941 OPS
  • Loney is 1-20 – we used to assume Jerry Sands would get a shot, but I think Van Slyke should be up next.  Three years ago, I wrote that I doubted that Jerry Sands would be a good major league player.  I still have yet to be convinced.

8 Responses to “Rant & Rave Saturday”

And I am convinced that Sands will be a good major league player. Maybe I’m forgetting some details, but haven’t you lobbied for Sands to move over to 3B? If you doubt that Sands will be a very good major league player, why even bother suggesting that he move to 3B, even if the Dodgers have a paucity of prospects at that position?

Haven’t seen enough of Van Slyke to be convinced whether or not he’s a prospect or a suspect. Maybe Castellanos, who is now playing 2B, can also play 3B. Actually, I don’t a have a clue, but I do know that I want anyone over there but Uribe.

Actually, it looked liked Kenley’s velocity was down significantly last night. He gave up 4 HRs in April last year, and none thereafter. Maybe he’s just a slow starter.

No way I’d send down Sellers, although I guess it’s possible. Probably is too early to cut Wright or Coffey, although cutting either one wouldn’t bring tears to my eyes. I also wouldn’t mind seeing MacDougal get his walking papers. And I also believe that Elbert might have options. Then again, maybe the Dodgers make a deal and no one gets sent out, DFA’d, etc.

Of course, the wild card in all this is our new ownership. Some of our prospects could end up being traded if a decision is made to bring in a significant contract from another team. The next few months could be very interesting, or not.

And I agree that Sellers should have thrown home. And I’m sure he knows it too.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

“why even bother suggesting that he move to 3B, even if the Dodgers have a paucity of prospects at that position?”

Answer: Well, I could be wrong!

On Van Slyke: He wasn’t serious about baseball until last year. I don’t think he was ever a prospect either, but he is now.

Things change…

2. Jae says:

Tony Jackson says that Jansen has been battling the flu. That could be why his velocity is down.

3. RogerDodger says:

Coffey: pitched in 3 games thus far. He has only credit for 1 total inning. That was his first time out. The second two times he did not record an out. He has given up 4 hits — and yet his record is 1 and 0. Maybe he is a late bloomer.

What Dodger fans can overlook in last night’s game is this — the Padres pitchers stopped the Dodgers from a really big night. Their starter: Richard, went 6 inning giving up only 6 hits; he walked 4. But their 3 relief pitchers did NOT give up a hit; but they did walk 6 Dodgers in that relief.

Enjoy this Dodger start. When the guys start playing real teams in May — it might be a different story: Giants, Rockies, D-Backs, Padres, Cardinals, D-backs, Astros, Brewers. I am sure in the 23 game stretch, the Dodgers will not be 22 and 1. Maybe more like 11-12.

Lindblom lives, Coffey DL’d.

my god kemp is a beast

6. RogerCraig says:

Coffey probably strained his legs by forcing them to carry so much weight. He could stand to lose a few LBS.

Well 8-1 is pretty good no matter who you are playing Triple A teams or not. I am impressed with Don Mattingly and his staff. He had the team playing great baseball to end the season last year and has them playing great baseball again this year. All the players seem to be having fun and are relaxed. Honeycutt appears to have Billingsly squared away and Lilly looked pretty good tonight. If the new ownership can make a few acquistions before the trading deadline, we could have a strong playoff caliber team this year. My hats off to the L. A. Dodgers of Los Angeles…………………