Log Jam in the Bullpen

With Ronald Belisario due back May 4th and with no options left, the Dodgers will have to activate him or lose him.  Then, we have Mr. Coffey who can come off the DL on Sunday.  Shawn Tolleston is waiting in the wing and Michael Antoini and Nate Eovaldi are  already on the roster.  Then you have Mike MacDougal, Matt Guerrier and Blake Hawksworth on the DL as well.  Oh, and let’s not forget RDLR who  will be 1 year removed from TJ surgery on August 1.  Stephen Strasburg pitched effectively less than one year after his surgery and from  all indications RDLR is ahead of schedule.  I’m sure the Dodgers won’t put him at risk, but I think he will pitch in August.    We all know that Don Mattingly has to support Javy “Ironjaw”  Guerra – I like that name, but others will now have an opportunity to close.   Count Kenley Jansen in that group, but I still think he needs another pitch.  On days when his fastball lacks movement (and that happens to everyone0, he has nothing else.  That’s not good.

Jamey Wright has been pitching effectively, and then there’s Scott Elbert…

Jared Massey’s Minor League Report – 4/26/12

15 Responses to “Log Jam in the Bullpen”

So what do we do Mr. Timmons?

Do you milk what we have til summer then release the non performing vets?

It already feels like summer outside today.

3. the truth hurts says:

Remember the last closer we had whose fastball was his only pitch……

And then I hear the crack of the bat…..Matt stairs has just gone yard……

No, not again

Keep in mind the difference between RDLR and Strasburg. When Strasburg came back last year about a year removed from his Tommy John surgery he pitched in five games, for a total of 24 innings. Because the Nats were going nowhere last year, those innings were of the low stress variety. If the Dodgers are in the race in August, and RDLR is brought back, don’t expect that he will also be pitching meaningless, low stress innings. And there is a difference between stressful innings, and those of the stressless variety. That being said, if he comes back, I don’t expect it to involve very meaningful situations.

One other thing. The Dodgers have played 19 games, and Guerra has appeared in 11 of them, and Jansen 12. That means they are on pace to appear in 94 and 102 games, respectively. That’s ridiculous, and we all know that it can’t continue (just like we know that Matt Kemp is not going to hit 90+ HRs). For me, while there may be some problems in the bullpen, the major problem lies with the Dodgers’ punchless offense, which keeps games close and the Dodgers’ bullpen busy.

Exactly

Trade 2 for 1. Not neccesarily these guys, but this type of process.

MacDougal and Coffey to KC for Broxton
    Broxton and Belisario to SD for Thatcher, or
    To CHI for Russell, or
    To Hou for Wilton Lopez, or
    To Mia for Chisek or Webb

Some of these teams need a lot more depth and therefore should be able to afford to give up their #3 reliever. Plus some of these teams have good pitching coaches and will be able to improve the player’s performance after they arrive.

I have to admit that I wasn’t an A J Ellis fan before this season. He’s not so bad.

Why couldn’t Abreu play in the outfield 2 days a week for the Dodgers and become a Left handed Pinch Hitter. Interleague play will be coming soon. Sign him up………

And keep in mind that that was Jansen’s 13th appearance in 20 games. That’s a pace for 105 games. Hard to judge Jansen’s effectiveness if he’s going to be abused like this. And remember, Jansen took a while to pick it up last year, having surrendered 4 homeruns in April, and none thereafter.

Jansen’s got the stuff, and can probably be very successful with one pitch, much like Mariano Rivera has been for years. Besides, Jansen does throw a slider as well as his fastball/cutter. He simply has to be used in a manner that gets the most out of him, and avoids the abuse. Also, he’s likely to get better with experience. And I haven’t given up on Guerra picking it back up. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, with the change in ownership that is likely to occur on Monday, maybe within the next few weeks or months, the Dodgers will pick up a missing piece or two, or three. And there are still minor league call-ups that can probably help the situation. Again, as with Jansen/Guerra, time will tell.

Can’t say I’m keeping a close eye on Kyle Russell, but I’m wondering if he hasn’t figured something out at AA. Currently hitting .349 with .451 OBP. Also, appears to be striking out less. Is this just a fleeting hot streak, or is it a harbinger of better things to come. Or maybe, at least, he becomes more attractive as trade bait.

10. After looking into a handful of the blog articles on your
    site, I seriously like your technique of blogging.
    I saved it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon.
    Please check out my web site as well and let me know your opinion.

11. Janessa says:

When some one searches for his necessary thing, therefore he/she wishes to be available
    that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.