Frank McCourt Saved the Dodgers

That’s right!  Love or hate Frank McCourt, he may have ultimately saved the Dodgers by preventing Bud Selig from selecting another owner like the Ricketts family or even another Frank MCourt.  While we have no clue how well the new owners will operate the team, the fact that they have a lot of money (and I am talking about the Cohen group, because I can’t see it going any other way),  should bode well for the Dodgers’ future, providing they put the right management team in place.

I am not even convinced that Ned Colletti and company won’t be retained.  We don’t know how well he could have operated if he actually had any money.  I think he has been forced to make some dope-fiend moves, due to the financial constraints, but that’s another story for another day.

By declaring bankruptcy, Frank McCourt  saved the Dodgers from Bud by ceding jurisdiction to the Bankruptcy judge.  Bud would have surely screwed it up and sold the Dodgers to Peter O’Malley or some other group that would struggle with cash.  With Cohen as owner, this should be a new era of Dodger Baseball.

Thank you Frank McCourt – Don’t let the doorknob hit you!

12 Responses to “Frank McCourt Saved the Dodgers”

Hopefully, I spelled everything right today. The teacher will be in to grade me later…

;)

2. Dusto says:

Fuck you. Frank Mccourt should be burned at the stake!

In a very very very narrow way, you’re absolutely right.

haha love it!!!

4. DodgerDude says:

Dude, you should not say something on a blog that would get the hell beat out of you if you said it to a persons’ face.

You are a tough guy – NOT!

5. GoNzO says:

The Ricketts family at least went all in with Theo and have shown the desire to win as they have shelled out big contracts but for some reason did nopt pan out, hey they’re the Cubs. In my opinion McCourt could not hold the Ricketts or any other owner’s jockstrap, er, money clip.

Anybody with common sense would realize that in order to play with the big boys you have to have some reserve. Frank’s source of income was the Dodgers unlike other owners that are successful in other ventures.

I can understand what your saying but hindsight is always 20/20 my friend.

6. RogerCraig says:

I think some of you fail to comprehend the humor here.

I will explain: Mark is merely making the point that by filing bankruptcy, Frank McCourt was able to get an owner with very deep pockets. Bud Selig might not have done that. He’s just stating that it’s ironic the best thing McCourt may have done is to get the Dodgers a good owner.

I wouldn’t even begin to speculate if McCourt or anyone else saved the Dodgers. It’s an exercise in futility, since there is no way to know what would have happened without the bankruptcy. Saved the Dodgers, maybe saved the Dodgers. Who cares? And although I think the parking lots will ultimately end up being sold, we don’t know that for certain.

Steve Dilbeck apparently believes that Jerry Sands is “just not ready.”

I agree with what he has to say about Sands playing himself off the team, at least for now (unless he suddenly gets hot for the remainder of ST). But in no way do I believe he is not ready. Yes, he’s having a terrible spring. But if he was an established veteran having a bad spring, there might be some talk, but nothing suggesting any lack of readiness. Fact is, young unestablished players are generally given a short leash.

Maybe Mattingly will do the unexpected, and Sands will open with the team. But it’s likely that he will open in ALBQ., and be one hot streak away from a call-up. I have the feeling that Mattingly would like Sands to force Rivera out of the starting lineup at some point during the season. And maybe playing everyday at AAA is the best way for him to accomplish that.

A lot people mention Billingsley, Loney, Uribe, Gordon and Ethier as being keys to a Dodger resurgence (and others as well). And while I don’t necessarily disagree that any of them could be a key, I think Sands also belongs in that category. His bat could lengthen the lineup, and provide valuable protection for the more established hitters.

Fact is, Dee Gordon, who I also like a lot, wasn’t doing much this spring until the past couple of days. It can happen very quickly, be it toward the tail end of spring training, or sometime after the season start. In Gordon’s case, however, there aren’t any other alternatives to play short. There are in left field. Maybe Sands will turn out to be a dud. But for me, at least, it’s just a matter of time before he forces his way into the lineup. And if he doesn’t, he’ll likely do it somewhere else.

8. Jae says:

Agreed – Sands has to go to AAA. He’ll be back.

A simple spell check will show that there are at least two mistakes today!

The new Forbes MLB valuation article has some important numbers that should be analyzed.

The Dodgers made an average of $17 mil EBITDA over the last 2 seasons which means that Bud can control the Dodger team operations if their debt is higher than $214 mil. Since it is over %550 mil -Good Bye Frank!

The best known rumored offer on the table is the offer from Cohen which provides for “only” $500 mil in Debt thus requiring the Dodger’s ongoing EBITDA to average $62,500,000 per season. This will happen when the new TV deal is done or they put together a new Cable Channel within the next two years.

The expiring TV contract along with wealthy owners has saved the fans.

The Dodgers are only worth $1.5 billion to someone who also has the cash to invest in a Cable network and real estate development.

10. I read earlier this week that Colletti’s presentation to Scott Boras for Prince Fielder this offseason was the best Boras had seen in 30 years…..and I think Mattingley should be retained beyond his current contract.

1. [...] rest of the article can be found here: LADodgerTalk.com – Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Vin Scully, Andre Ethier and the Dodgers This entry was posted in LA Dodgers News by Dugout Online Editor. Bookmark the [...]