The Cockroach, the Rake and a bad Penny

The Cockroach – That was Hong-Chih Kuo’s nickname because like a cockroach, he was hard to kill.  However, he struggled with his physical issues for so long that when he got healthy and had no fight, his mind betrayed him.  That’s not a slam on him – it’s just being human.  I hope he pitches lights out for the Mariners.  I really do, but the odds are that he will face arm or head problems and the Dodgers weren’t willing to pay much for that.  I’ll miss him.  He was fun to watch and really a good guy. As of now, Scott Elbert is probably the only lefty in the pen.

The Rake – I used to call Blake DeWitt, “Rake” DeWitt because I assumed (incorrectly and incoherently) that he could rake.  He couldn’t, didn’t and probably won’t.  The Cubs designated him for assignment today.  Sorry Blake!

Bad Penny – I guess he wasn’t so bad, but Brad Penny signed with a team in Japan.  Whewwwww – he won’t be back anytime soon.

7 Responses to “The Cockroach, the Rake and a bad Penny”

1. RogerCraig says:

Kuo would have been nice to have if he was the same pitcher as a couple of years ago. His arm is a big problem and hopefully he can sort out his anxiety issues. I’ll miss him too.

2. LAdodgerdave says:

Anyone remember Kuo’s NLDS start against the Mets in the playoffs back in 06???

I have two friends that are huge mets fans and guess who is the only dodger they ask me about??? KUO! Just because of the performance he put on in New York. Scared the crap out of them.

My favorite reliever over the past years by far.

will really miss him as well……wish him the best!

BREAKING NEWS:
    Kershaw locked in for 2 yrs/$19 million. Nice move. Puts his contract to rest until 2014. However sets up a question. Lincecum will be a free agent in 2014. Kershaw will still be under team control but what kind of crazy money is going to be throw at these two then? Wow!

The other good news is next off season this is one less question for the front office. It also helps by knowng your two main assets are locked up and signed (Kemp & Kershaw). Somewhere Andre Ethier is cussing. hahahaha

4. DodgerDude says:

At least we have two more years of Clayton. That seems to be a HOMETOWN DISCOUNT!

Not really. He asked for 10 million. He got 9+. I think it is fair for both sides.

Average salary is 9+.