Is there any bull in the pen?

The Dodger bullpen just started looking a little rosier (or worse, depending upon your point of view), with the extremely early arrival or Ronald Belisario.

See, some think that is good because he’s just a stud, and some are just as convinced that he’s a bum and can only hurt the Dodgers.  I mean, who knows?  I know this:  You can rarely predict what many bullpen pitchers will do.

For example:

• Matt Guerrier had a mediocre year last year but could step back up (or not) in 2012.
  • Scott Elbert was very good in 2011.  Will he build on that in 2012 or regress?
  • Blake Hawksworth was up and down in 2011 – will he be more up than down in 2012?
  • Javy Guerra pitched like a closer… but is he?
  • Kenley Jansen looks like he could be a real closer -  can he?
  • Josh Lindblom looked like a solid piece, but can he improve or will he flatten out?
  • Mike MacDougal was very good last year – can he keep it up or will he end up back in the minors?
  • Does Ramon Troncoso have anything left?
  • Can Stephen Fife, Shawn Tolleson, Allen Webster, Zach Lee, Garrett Gould or Michael Antonini make the grade or just fill-in?
  • Will Rubby De La Rosa come back?
  • Is Josh Wall ready?

OK, here’s the deal:  Bullpens are fickle!  A guy can have  2.04 ERA on year and a 5.04 the next year and then not play the next year and who knows what he will do in 2012?  Yes, that is the Rocket Scientist I call Ronald Belisario!

Here’s the good news:  The Dodgers have lots of arms to fill the pen.  I think the bullpen will be a strength of the 2012 Dodgers.  They will keep running them out there until they get it right.

Owner Update:

Stephen Cohen is poised to buy  a stake in the NY Mets, so the Dodgers are out right?  Not so fast – evidently MLB has approved him, so if he has the highest bid, he is the Dodgers new owner.

Ironic:

Derrick Hall is rumored to be the frontrunner to become the Dodgers President if “certain” groups are successful in owning the Dodgers.  Of course he says he’s not interested.  What is he expected to say “I’m the President of the Diamondbacks but would leave them flat in a heart beat if the Dodgers came calling.”  You know he would bring his buddy, Josh Rawitch back as well!  Wouldn’t that be ironic?  Derrick Hall and Josh Rawitch are two of the best in the business.

LoneyToon:

James Loney will not be charged with anything.  Me thinks this sounds like some cop who has it in for a black guy.  I don’t know, but I’m just sayin’…  It doesn’t add up!

29 Responses to “Is there any bull in the pen?”

1. todd says:

“Me thinks this sounds like some cop who has it in for a black guy. I don’t know, but I’m just sayin’… It doesn’t add up!”

What doesn’t add up? The dude passed out at the wheel and hit three cars and then drove off again when he woke up! If you or I were a cop we would have assumed the worse as well.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Todd or is is Kevin,

Let me put this as simply as I can:

Listen Dumbass, were you there when it happened? If not, just shut up because you have no clue.

You only post here when you want to disagree, anyway.

A cop SAID that, but what happened is TOTALLY out of character with the James Loney I know. Frankly, I doubt the cop.

James has earned a pass on this one. I never put any stock in it from the beginning.

2. Annoyed says:

“…Me thinks this sounds like some cop who has it in for a black guy. I don’t know, but I’m just sayin’… It doesn’t add up!”

This is by far the most ignorant post I have ever seen you make on this blog. Not only is it racially inflammatory, but it is also accusing the police officer who arrested Loney of being a racist and a liar.

Loney’s arrest was not based on his skin color (he is only 1/2 black by the way). It was based on his bizarre behavior following a traffic collision. From everything I read, he was acting like a person who was under the influence of something. Correct me if I am wrong, but I sort of remember a witness saying he also attempted to leave the scene of the accident.

Whoever arrested him did so based on the totality of the circumstances, leading him to believe there was probable cause to make the arrest. Charges are not being pressed because there were no drugs or alcohol present in his blood. Loney is very lucky he was not placed on a 5150 hold at the hospital.

Just for your information, the police aren’t the ones who actually file the charges. They recommend them to the District Attorney, who looks at the case and determines whether there is enough evidence to support filing the case.

Luckily for Loney, this was just a weird set of circumstance that happened to come out okay for him in the end. Make no mistake though, something strange was going on that day. Not sure what you expected the police to do in that situation, but that is beside the point.

This is a baseball blog last time I checked, not a political or social commentary. I recognize this is your blog, and you will post as you see fit; However, I would appreciate if we could just stick to baseball and factual statements. I would like to continue to read this blog on a regular basis, but can’t do so in good faith if you continue to post things of this nature.

Thanks for your time.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Annoyed,

Funny isn\’t it that I am called a racists against blacks and Asians and now I am against cops.

This IS a baseball blog, and lot\’s of baseball sources have reported this. I happen to dis-believe the cop. Cops are people just like you and me and eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable (read the research).

This racist is sticking up for James Loney who is a baseball player the last time I checked. How is this not about baseball?

My opinion is that the officers\’ statement was not corroborated (MAYBE EVEN FALSE) and evidently the DA agreed!

• Annoyed says:

Wow. First time I have ever felt the need to disagree with you on a post in the few years I have been following you, and I was polite. Your response to me is that I suck? Why are we not allowed to have an intellectual disagreement without name calling?

I didn’t call you a racist, or suggest you are against cops. I said your statements were inflammatory and you were implying someone was a liar.

Neither of us were there, but I feel you could have expressed your opinion without having to make it a racial issue.

The DA did not file charges for 23152(a) cvc and 23152(b) cvc because there were not drugs or alcohol in his blood. You can’t support a DUI case without being able to prove impairment. I am speaking from experience on this matter, not opinion.

As for this: “You get what you give on this blog. Feel free to disagree, but have a take and do not suck. Your take sucks!”

What I gave you was a polite disagreement. I was not given what I gave in terms of a polite response (or even a civil one for that matter). This statement seems to me to say that I am allowed to disagree with you as long as you agree with my disagreement.

I don’t appreciate being called a “troll” because I disagree with a statement that was made here. I thought we were supposed to be able to discuss your posts.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Annon,

The purpose of this blog is to present views outside of the mainstream. It sounds like you may be in law enforcement and I have great respect for those people. I just like to present other alternatives. What happened was TOTALLY out of character for James. He\’s not an All-Star, but he is a genuinely All-Around good guy.

I simply responded to what you said was \”the most ignorant post I had ever made.\” If you attack me like that, you ought to know I\’m going to fire back.

I don\’t know what went on, but the story didn\’t ring true and it\’s sad, but racism exists in every facet of life, even cops. If it wasn\’t. then that\’s good. I really hope it wasn\’t – it just seems that everyone wants to accept the version of events as stated by the police and knowing what you know, you know the police can make a mistake.

I\’m going to ask James about it next time I see him. He might not answer, but he might….

No offense to cops. I was pointing to people, not necessarily the profession.

3. DodgerDude says:

So, you dudes are believing everything the cop said? Of course we have never had any cops here in LA ever do anything wrong, right?
    Rodney King never happened?

4. Jae says:

Mark,

WTF is up with all these trolls?

Are they just terminally stupid or what?

WTF?

Block these idiots, will you?

5. Bluenose Dodger says:

My concern from the beginning was not that James was drinking or using. My concern was that he blacked out and was not knocked out in the collision. I don’t know if he has ever been checked re:black out.

6. AnewBlueDay says:

Let me change the direction here:

Okay, prior to Spring Training –

here is my April 1 starting line-up, position wise:

SS – Gordon
    2b – that new guy from the A’s
    RF – Ethier
    CF – Kemp
    LF – serial names out there
    1B – Loney
    3B – that big guy that forgot how to hit
    C – AAA guy or the young inexperienced guy

This is how fans from other teams will understand the Dodgers when trying to think of players and positions.

See, there are 4 positions on the field — many folks will not even know or remember their names. We have a long way to go . . .

7. Jae says:

Good change of pace.

8. youbetterthinkagain says:

Classic Timmons! I got to hand it to you, you never ever will change. Enjoy your misery, Timmons, you really have become a parody!

Too many valley girl imitating grammer reckers do not understand what the word “like” actually means. The purpose of using the word “like” is often to set up an analogy and/or comparasion, not a statement of fact. WOW some people need go back to school and take an english grammer class. Mark even added the phrase “I don’t know” to empasize the point of his statement not being a statement of fact.

There are enough other statements to disagree with here, but building a case upon misunderstood grammer interpretation is truely ignorant.

Bills is the key to the 2012 season.

Hope Belly has his head on straight in 2012.

Hope Hamiltion keeps his head on straight for the Rangers and for his family.

10. colobue says:

Getting back to Bully…
    jansen..guerra at solid at Cl
    Hawk,lindblom..ML/occ SU
    Guerrier and elbert ..solid ML..if Elbert does well…maybe occ SU..
    Macdonald…Ml
    RDLR will come back as RP this yr…late August
    BUT….
    no room for Eovaldi..Tolleson or Bellasario or troncoso..
    Look for us to trade last 2 or DFA them
    I expect we will trade Guerrier or Hawks at some point to make room for Tolleson..Eovaldi..RDLR..

11. todd says:

Hey Mark were you there? Nope. Not only did the cops report it that way but several eye witnesses as well. Oh right I’m sure they are out to get the black guy as well right? If anyone else on this board would have done the same thing we would have been suspected of a DUI.

I’m not saying he is guilty but to say the cops shouldn’t have suspected DUI is just plane ridiculous old man.

Annoyed has it right. At least a few people on this board have the ability to think rationally.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Todd or Kevin or whoever you are,

Go bad and read what I wrote REAL SLOW and maybe you can comprehend it:

\”James Loney will not be charged with anything. Me thinks this sounds like some cop who has it in for a black guy. I don’t know, but I’m just sayin’… It doesn’t add up!\”

I said, it \”SOUNDS LIKE\” a cop has it in for a black guy. I said I wasn\’t there. I said I don\’t know.

But, I want you to know that it was reported that Loney spit on the cops. Actually, they tried to put a breathalyzer mounthpiece in his mouth and he spit it out. That\’s a whole lot different that \”he spit on officers.\” That was not true.

Produce transcripts as to what \”several eyewitnesses said.\” You are relying on faulty info.

I just raised the question so that we might consider that maybe this wasn\’t on James Loney, because many assumed it was.

If you have the ability to think rationally, then prove it because you aren\’t!

12. todd says:

BTW I’ll never read your stupid blog again oldtimer. Good job now you have 4 regular readers fuckchop.

13. Anonymous says:

Some people sure get “butt hurt’ over the studiest things…Accuse Mark of something and turn right around and do the same thing!…Unbelievable!

P.S. By the way Todd…make that 5 readers…see you don’t everything either!

14. RogerCraig says:

In my humble opinion, Todd is a complete idiot and that is being as kind as I can be.

15. AnewBlueDay says:

So Ned signs: Todd Coffey, wow, I am so excited. I could . . .

Really, he has never been on my radar. Must have seen him pitch in relief, even against the Dodgers — but he does not ring a bell.

Noticed that his lowest jersey number is 55. He has had 56, 55, 56, 60, 60. and he has pitch 491 inning in relief in the majors, given up 48 HRs with an ERA of 4.08 in 7 seasons with Cin, Mil, and Washington. Right handed.

16. RogerCraig says:

Print the tickets!

17. Reggie says:

First time commentor. Long time reader. While I don’t always agree with you, I get it. You present another viewpoint and I have learned from that. Thanks for what you do. Don’ t let the trolls win!

They’re coming out of the woodwork………… Take cover

19. Bball says:

If u don’t like something then just don’t associate with it. That’s what’s wronge with u pee brains. Don’t ruin it for the rest of us.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Bball,

Miserable people enjoy trying to make other miserable. Anyone can feel free to disagree with me, but blast me and you\’ll get it right back.

Thanks for the kind words.