What Have We Learned From The Past?

I want you to consider a few questions and how you would have answered them on January 20, 2010:

1. If I had told you that James Loney would hit more home runs than Andre Ethier in 2010,  would you have probably felt pretty good about the 2010 season?
  2. If I had told you that RDLR would reach the majors and display some of the most nasty stuff Dodger fans have seen, would you have probably felt pretty good about the 2010 season?
  3. If I had told you that what was to be three-fourths of the 2010 starting Dodger infield, namely Casey Blake, Juan Uribe and Rafael Furcal,  would have 609 combined at bats, would you have probably felt pretty bad about the 2010 season?
  4. If I had told you that Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw would be the NL MVP and NL Cy Young award winner, would you have probably felt pretty good about the 2010 season?
  5. If I had told you that MacDougal, Kershaw, Guerra, Elbert, Lindblom and Jansen would all have ERA’s below 2.85, would you have probably felt pretty good about the 2010 season?

OK, there’s a lot more things we could talk about, but who the heck knew any of that?  If you had predicted any of those things, you would have been immediately institutionalized!   OK,  maybe since I should be institutionalized,  I’ll make 5 predictions:

1. Juan Uribe will either have a career year or will spend most of the season on the DL – I can’t decide which one it is.
  2. Tim Federowicz will be the Dodgers starting catcher before the season is over.
  3. Mark Ellis will get off to a hot start and play in his first All-Star Game.
  4. Matt Kemp will have an even better year than he had in 2010.
  5. Chris Capuano and Haron Harang will win 29 games – Combined!

Have at it…

Finally, I had a reader send me this:

“This from writer Jason Stark. Thought you would be interested:

• As Buster Olney has mentioned recently, if Hamels does reach free agency, the Dodgers will be perfectly positioned to make it worth his while. It’s amazing, in fact, how much other teams fear the Dodgers’ potential spending power once their new owner is in place. Remember, L.A. has only TWO players on the roster signed beyond 2013 — Matt Kemp and Chad Billingsley.

“Next year this time,” said an exec of one team, “the Dodgers will be THE team calling up every marquee free agent. They’re going to have serious money. They’ll be the Yankees West. They can just look at that free-agent list and cherry-pick whoever they want. And why would anyone not want to go there? They’ll be the sleeping giant in free agency next year.”

14 Responses to “What Have We Learned From The Past?”

1. JOSEPH OLIVAS says:

I SURE HOPE SO I HAVE GREAT HOPE IN MY L.A DODGERS I SURE WISH SOME MIRACLE COULD HAPPEN & WE GET P-FIELDER THOUGH…

2. DodgerDude says:

I think that good times are right around the corner.

3. Leroy says:

Capuano and Harang are trash. Why they were signed for two years and a third year option is beyond me. Oh wait, Colletti is the GM. I predict 15 wins between them.

The starting five is lined up like this through at least 2012/13

1. Kershaw – Will eventually be signed through 2067
    2. Billingsly – Signed though 14′ with a club option for 15′
    3. Lilly – Unfortunately signed through 13′ for 22.5 M with a full no trade clause
    4. Capuano – Signed through 13′ with a mutual option for 14′
    5. Shrek/Harang – Signed through 14′ with a mutual option for 15′

Where does this leave RDLR and Nathan Evoldi? Even with that, with a new owner, where does this leave a guy like Cole Hamels who is a free agent after 2012?

I am banging my head against the wall right now. Colletti is such an idiot.

2012 = third place at 80-82

• Mark_Timmons says:

Leroy,

If Ned had an extra $100 mil budget, would we be calling him an idiot? If Brain Cashman had $100 mil less, what would we be saying?

Think about it!

• Bootz says:

As far as who Ned signed this year, I would not have a problem with any of them if they were signed to ONE year deals. There is no value in giving Harang and Capuanom2 year deals, let alone having an option for a third.

Look at the FA market this year; Ryan Madsen just signed a SIX, a SIX million dollar deal (with a 2.5 million buyout in 2013) with tbe Reds. Not one team handed out multi year deals to mediocre pitchers and a guy like Roy Oswalt is still on the market. Ned should have waited and only gave out 1 year deals.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Leroy,

We lost two starters to injury last year (Garland and Padilla). Do you really think those 5 will stay in the rotation all season? It would be nice if they did, but I doubt it.

RDLD would probably be best served pitching out of the pen in long relief and Eovaldi is at the ready… as is Webster.

Now if Fielder signs a long term contract with an opt out after 2 years then we can celebrate.

Add the players under team control to those that are “under contract” beyond 2013.

Cool. A starting rotation of Kershaw, Lincecum, Hamels, David Price and RDLR.

I agree with Bootz. It’s no big deal having Capuano and Harang for 2012, but there is NO REASON both should be here in 2013!!!

neither one of them would have gotten a guaranteed 2 year deal from any other team, yet ned does it! 1 year for both would have been great. If they do well, we do well. If they poorly, well one of RDLR (August), Eovaldi (who I think is better than Cap/Harang), and Withrow, Webster, etc could be up by June/July. Now we’ve blocked all kids for 2 yrs, while letting 2 average pitchers have guaranteed jobs for 2 years here.

Again, don’t ask “what if Ned had an extra $100mil?”, because the answer to that question isn’t “well we get Fielder and CJ Wilson”. The answer to that is “well we gave Juan Rivera 3 yr guaranteed, as well as added quality players like Pedro Feliz, Benji Molina, Cesar Izturis, Mike MacDougal and others to guaranteed 4 year deals”

Ned isn’t a smart shopper. It’s like he panics. Rivera would not have gotten $4.5 mil from anyone else, yet Ned gave it to him. Cap/Harang would not have gotten 2yr deals for that kind of money, but Ned gave it to them. It’s poor budgeting. Ned might as well go work in Congress

“Not one team handed out multi year deals to mediocre pitchers?”

1. Heath Bell, who is 34 got a 3 year/$27 mil deal from the Marlins.

2. Mark Buehrle, who is 32 got a 4 year $58 mil deal from the Marlins.

3. Bruce Freakin’ Chen who is 34 got a 2 year/$9 mil deal which is $1 mil less than Capuano got.

4. Frank Francisco who is 32, got a 2 year/$12 mil dollar deal from Toronto.

I can go on and on. You guys are out of touch with what players are getting paid. Rivera is getting paid a lot less than players who produced a lot less than he did.

Here is the long and the short of it:

Ned gave these guys two year deals that were back-loaded, so that he could afford them THIS year. They are the new owners responsibility NEXT season. Ned is not paying them much this year. He could not have signed them without that sort of creative financing.

I am not a Ned fan and I have asked for him to be be fired long ago, but I really can’t fault what he is doing with little money.

Fans are always smarter than the GM anyway!

8. youbetterthinkagain says:

Learning from the past, ah always an interesting thought. I am considering the source of this conversation starter and getting a good laugh (learning in the present, is actually a laugher as well).

Good point made about how a GM is viewed. The only frugal dealing GM in recent memory has been Billy Beane. All others have needed huge pockets in order to be “good gms”. True just having money does not make a good GM, a crappy GM can blow a lot of money and get nothing but failure. However it is rare to find a “good gm” when the GM doesn’t have much $ to sign players. Based on how the McCourts ran things into the ground and nixed most moves that Ned tried to make for pitching in the last few years, has Ned really had a chance to prove much? Yes he has made mistakes, all GMs do, but he really has been hamstrung. If Ned survives the new ownership change (he won’t, he really is a bumbler, my opinion) then he may actually get a chance to do some things that he would really like to do.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Timing is everything. I don’t think Ned will survive either, but if he did, I think within a couple of years we would have a different opinion of him.

9. Pete Matthews says:

Bravo on the Ned thoughts. If he gets the opportunity to use real money he might surprise us all.
    Hamels, nice, but really??? I think the Dodger pitching with good health and a lil luck are looking very good for the future with Kershaw anchoring the staff…
    To settle some spots in the infield concerns me more.
    Last but not least, whats up with Kuo???