Now the Dollars Get Serious

I’ve told you from jump that Mark Cuban would never own the Dodgers and now that prophecy has come to pass.

I knew that Mark Cuban was not ever going to pay more than $1.2 billion for the Dodgers, which Blackstone Advisory Partners has evidently established as the minimum bid the Dodgers would be sold for.  I always told you that!

Also gone is Dennis Gilbert and his group, as well as Garvey & Hershiser, who were always pretenders – they never had the capital!

According to Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles, the herd has been thinned:

Though Blackstone and sources close to McCourt have remained tightlipped throughout the process, ESPNLosAngeles.com has identified, through conversations with various sources, five groups which are known to have advanced:

• The group headed by Los Angeles Lakers legend Magic Johnson and largely funded by Guggenheim Partners chief executive officer Mark Walter.

• The group headed by Steve Cohen, the billionaire hedge fund manager and founder of SAC Capital Advisors in Stamford, Conn.

• The group headed by Los Angeles real estate developer Rick Caruso, a group that also includes former Dodgers manager Joe Torre.

• The group headed by Stanley Gold, the chief executive officer of Shamrock Holdings, a private investment company founded by the late Roy E. Disney, with several of Disney’s surviving family members also involved in that group.

• The group headed by former Dodgers owner Peter O’Malley, which reportedly has discussed joining the Gold/Disney group but thus far hasn’t done so.

Since Frank has the final say-so on who the team is sold to, I can safely say that Rick Caruso & Joe Torre won’t own the team unless they really bid a lot more than anyone else.

My guess is that it will be narrowed down to the Big Three, which will be as follows:

• Cohen
  • Magic
  • O’Malley & Gold (who will team up)

The Wild Cards will be Time Warner and Fox who could supply significant financing to any of the groups.  The front runner has to Cohen and if one of the Cable Networks were to ally themselves with him, it would be all over.

P.S.  The vitriol continues.  A few weeks ago I wrote a blog in jest about Hiroki Kuroda (whom I really like and still have his autographed baseball in a place of promimence in my office) .  I was blasted and the blasting continues.   My wife who is Asian (not born in the USA) advised me that I should not joke about Asians (and liberals for that matter) - “they don’t understand those kinds of jokes.  They can rag on you and joke about you and say what a sleasy slimy while guy you are, but don’t even say anything in jest about them.”  Sadly, she was right.   My advice to the ones who rag on me:  Say it to my face when you see me, if you have the balls.  You are painting me in a totally false light and I don’t take kindly to that.  I won’t write much about it…  I’ll just say that the guys who write this have a real double standard.  They can do it, but I can’t.  It would be wise for them to stay away from me.

18 Responses to “Now the Dollars Get Serious”

1. Jae says:

Hey, I’m Asian and I have no problem with what you said. You should not put me in that group who is too stupid to understand a joke.

You should not worry about what they say. The ones who write this stuff are chicken shit little trolls.

2. RogerCraig says:

I am a sleasy slimy white guy too, but I knew it was a joke. I have wasted too much time on it already. I am just interested in the Dodgers new ownership. I think it will be Cohen, like it or not.

3. Leroy says:

I’m still crying that all because of V-Mart’s injury the Dodgers lost Prince.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Leroy,

Stay upbeat – there\’s something better for us.

• Leroy says:

Haha, thanks Mark. These last two years have been tough to swallow after the somewhat successes of 08′ and 09′ after so much futility. Here’s to Joey Votto and Cole Hamels asap.

4. Anonymous says:

Some of the biggest racists I have seen were Asian too.

I am withholding my name due to what has happended to you.

5. Tede51 says:

Are you talking golf balls or tennis balls ?

He withhold his name so it’s no balls.

7. youbetterthinkagain says:

I missed all the fun with the asian joke thing but it must have been a good one. I am always amused when the shoe is on the other person’s foot, in this case that shoe is on Timmons’ foot. I see that the threat of physical harm is still the standard fall back position however. Maybe you should move to the West Coast and stage all of those “cage matches” that you have threatened, out here, lol.

“What goes around, comes around.”

What happened to Badger, btw? Did he get fed up, bored or just lose interest?

Oh well, looks like a new crop of boys for you to threaten, errrr, converse with in here now. Keep up the great work.

Enjoy the merriment and love.

8. DodgerDude says:

Mark, forget about that junk the racists at LFP or Chad Moryama spew. They are idiots. Just keep up the good work.

9. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark’s wife is partly right. From above: “…I should not joke about Asians (and liberals for that matter) – ‘they don’t understand those kinds of jokes.’”

Partly right — because no one really likes their position or race or club or way to be put down or made fun of or be said to be stupid or wrong.

The problem is, some folks just love to put down others. Have an enemy. Baseball example, Dodgers / Giants —– Yankees / Red Sox —— Cubs / Cardinals.

On Fielder — we have been hearing for several weeks now that Prince had two close friends on the Dodgers … and that might just get him to wait on the Dodger offer.

Well we found out — it was the MONEY and YEARS after all that won out, not friendship.

• Leroy says:

When it’s all said and done though, it seems as if he was offered around 50 more million than the Dodgers were going to give him. It’s just unfortunate because the Tiger’s offer to him was out of an act of desperation, spearheaded by their owner, not GM. I could see a player giving up maybe 15 million to play somewhere more desirable, but not 50.

I don\’t blame Prince for taking the extra $50 mil. I mean – IT\’S $50 MILLION!

I also think the Dodgers were wise not to pay more due to his weight and dissing Matt Kemp.