It Turns Out The Dodgers Were Dealing With The Devil

The devil being Scott Borasssss!

Back on December 19th, 2011, I wrote this:

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN/Chicago ”The Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Dodgers are reportedly the main suitors for Fielder at this point, with the Cubs still in the running.”

At the same time, Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times reports just the opposite: “With six days until Christmas, the Dodgers are nearly finished with their shopping. Their 2012 roster is practically set.”

Someone has it wrong.  Who is not telling us the truth?  Is Ned deliberately misleading Dylan and the rest of us?

Again, on January 22, 2012, I wrote this:

To tell you the truth, I believe more than ever that Prince Fielder is coming to LA.  There’s a process that is going to have to happen, but I think Boras and Prince are waiting on the Dodgers.

Well, it turns out that Ned was deliberately misleading Dylan Hernandez and the rest of you.

Today,  MLB Trade Rumors reported this:

The Dodgers pushed hard for Prince Fielder for weeks and thought they had a legitimate chance of signing him, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. They offered a seven-year deal worth a little more than $160MM that would have provided the first baseman with the chance to opt out after four seasons. Fielder would have earned $26MM or so for the first four years of the deal and $20MM-plus for its final three years.

The Dodgers met Fielder at an undisclosed location a few weeks ago and outgoing owner Frank McCourt approved the team’s proposal. Though the Dodgers aren’t unhappy with James Loney, they wanted to add an elite bat to their lineup. The Nationals and Tigers were also finalists for Fielder, whose nine-year, $214MM deal becomes official at a press conference in Detroit this afternoon.

There you have it.  I told you so.  The Dodgers offered a good deal, but it took an AL team which uses the DH to beat them out.  It a big handicap being in the NL  as the AL get all the sluggers who can DH.  There is no way an NL team could offer Pujols or Fielder what they ultimately received.  No way!

Here’s the bottom line:  The NL needs to adopt the DH!

25 Responses to “It Turns Out The Dodgers Were Dealing With The Devil”

The Dogers already have too many DHs. “Dumb Heads” Frank, Ned, etc.

I strongly believe that if Victor Martinez hadn’t have gotten hurt Prince would have taken the deal.
    That said I think we will be glad he is not in BLUE in a few years. Prince is a short term solution. The guy is too fat and too much of a risk beyond 3 or 4 years. In fact i would look for his numbers to fall off playing in Tiger Stadium and in a tough(er) division.

American League teams still have a major advantage over the NL for these types of players. The Commish needs to change the rules so that both leagues either use the DH or not. It’s just not a level playing ground right now.

4. kevin says:

No Mark you weren’t right. You said Prince would be a Dodger and he’s not therefore you weren’t correct.

I didn’t doubt that the Dodgers might be making a push for Fielder, I said that he wasn’t coming to L.A. Looks like I was actually right.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Kevin, I said:

\”I believe more than ever that Prince Fielder is coming to LA.\”

… which at the time WAS true. If V-Mart had not blown out his leg, I think Prince would have been in LA. He was coming, but made a U-Turn when the Tigers lost V-Mart and upped the ante.

The intent of the post was to verify that the Dodgers were actively trying to sign him, which most people discounted.

The Dodgers were REAL players for him.

5. JOSEPH OLIVAS says:

WOW…….IM STILL IN AWWW……..ABOUT THIS WHOLE SITUATION I WANTED HIM 2 BE A DODGER PERIOD IM NOT WRITING THE CHECKS ANYWAY!

As much as I would like the DH to be eliminated, that’s not going to happen. Players Union would never allow it.
    The timing of is unknown but the DH will come to the NL so those teams too will be able to competively bid on overpriced FAs.

7. Bball says:

Who r the big bats they might go after before the trade deadline if u can give some choices

LOL, Competively bid on overpriced FAs.

With the new owner coming in, I’m pretty sure we aren’t gearing up for Moneyball.

9. AnewBlueDay says:

Say Mark, do you have any more of those Super Bowl tickets available on say, the 40 yard line to the other 40 yard line? That way I would get get a crick in my neck.

I could use 2 tickets if you have them — you know the comp ones.

Yes me too Mark……………. I’ll even take an End Zone.

11. AnewBlueDay says:

Billy, we could join up for a nice dinner prior to the game. Mark has many restaurants in Indy where he pays nothing . . . I like my ribs/steaks medium-rare.

• Bill Russell says:

Roger, I’ll take my steak medium but that sounds like a good idea to me. We can stay with Mark until the Indy race in May and he can hook us up again…………….

Roger and Billy,

If I had Tickets, I’d be going. I’m not, but you are welcome to stay with me and come to our Super Bowl Party. The city is hopping…

13. Viva_El_Che says:

Fuk It… New Topic Mark Dnt Wana Here This Shit Anymore . Fielders In The Past Now No Point On Talkin Bout Him.

14. Leroy says:

Leroy says that it’s going to be another loooong season.

Big props to Frank and Ned for offering Fielder a phenomenal, player friendly contract. I don’t blame us for upping it to 9 years and 200 mil either.

If Fielder wanted to be a Dodger, he’d be here. He clearly went and chased money, so let him go.

But I do applaud our organization for trying that hard to land this guy. It could have been a franchise changing move, but on to the next one!!

16. AnewBlueDay says:

Mark and Billy, my wife just reminded me that we have 35 folks coming to our house for a Super Bowl party that day, so I must stay here. Sorry.

We will be rooting for those Cowboys . . . or wait, I am not sure they are playing any more this season. I know, I will root for the L.A. Rams . . . or wait, they moved somewhere else did they not.

Moving . . . is there a chance that the Dodgers will move back to Brooklyn? I ask this because then 81 home games would start on EST and get over a lot earlier than those darn west coast games. (Remember, we live in the central time zone.)

Fielder. I really thought he would sign with the Dodgers or at worst, sign a one year contract with another team and then come over next winter with a big contract.

Loney might have a really big year as opposed to have Prince at 1st base. What is the difference between the two: Loney a much better fielder, most likely faster on the base — but Fielder is a difference maker much of the time. He excites crowds. He loves the key moment of a game.

So — best get new owners — new GM — and then go after some new players to build the cornerstone that will sever the Dodgers well for years.

I don’t celebrate coming in 2nd place. I am glad they tried but let’s face it if Frank had made this spirited a run at other free agents (when he thought he was going to actualy have to pay the bill) we would probably have had a championship or at least a World Series apperance in the past 5 years!Instead we are talking about ALMOST!

The thing I am hoping for the most is that the team stays close. Stay in it, in a division that is not very strong. I do believe the talent is here to do just that. Then come June or July the boys will be active in the trade market. They will have to be. We may have to swallow hard and cut loose of a top prospect to get what we need but money will not be the major obsticle next time around.

18. AnewBlueDay says:

DRomo, you hit the nail on the head. Staying close. Those Dodger pitching match-up with the West Division will be interesting. Good pitching and timely hitting, even singles and doubles — will keep the guy in this thing.

I believe the pen will be very strong. That is a key. Heck, I think we will see some of those 1 to 1 games through 6 or 7 innings — and then the pen will be on the money to shut down the hitting of the other team.

After the new owners take over — then more fine tuning of player will happen.

Mark or anyone out there,

Is there any feeling as to who might be available in July? I keep thinking David Wright (injury prone) may be available. But I don’t really know if there is any big aquisitions to be had? Joey Votto isn’t a free agent until 2013 so Cincy may hold him as long as they can. BJ Upton? I really think the pickings will be slim.

The down side to that might just set up for a dissapointing offseason next year too. With money to spend and 2nd teir free agents I could see a new owner giving a statement contract to a guy not really worth the $$ (if that makes sense?)

Here is my answer. Some interesting names. Yadier Molina, Ryan Madson, Cole Hamels, Dan Haren, David Wright, BJ Upton. Hmm?