Hiroki Kuroda Was Not the Dodger Savior

First of all – I must tell you that this is no joke.  There is nothing funny here.  No jokes, like before.  I am just going to give you my take on Hiroki Kuroda:

Stand up guy.  As a person, there’s nothing you can say bad about Hiroki.  I was watching when he was hit in the head with the ball back up the middle and I was sick with  fear.  He was courageous in his comeback and I was happy that he carried on.

Typical of Asian people, he was polite and kind.  I liked Hiroki.  He was  a Dodger and did nothing wrong.  If anyone blasted him for not accepting a trade to Boston, it had to be tongue-in-cheek.  I know that I did.

Hiroki was a Dodger for four years.  He said he was so much a Dodger that he didn’t want to play anywhere else.   OK, I get that!  he didn’t have to accept a trade and how can we be mad at him even if he was so entrenched in LA that he chose not to seek a World Championship?

However, the fact that he refused the trade to Boston, spoke volumes about him.  Hiroki was a nice guy, but sometimes nice guys finish last.  As I mentioned. Hiroki Kuroda pitched for the Dodgers for 4 years.  During those four years, the Dodgers had a .527 winning percentage.

In that same span, Hiroki Kuroda had a .471 ERA – he went 41 and 46 for the Dodgers.

The Dodgers paid him $47.30 million for 41 wins.  That’s $1.16 million dollars per win.

I know what you are going to say, so save your breath!

“But wins are overvalued.”

“Look at his ERA, Look at his other stats.”

“He had bad luck – they didn’t support him.”

“He was a good guy.”  (I agree)

That’s just not really very good.  In a time when the Dodgers were winning almost 53% of their games, Hiriki Kuroda was CONSISTENTLY below .500. He found ways to lose.

Here’s the real issue:

Hikoki is getting old.  I think he will be facing some ARM issues, but that’s just me.

I wish him well, but he wasn’t all that.  Make all the excuses you want and say the Dodgers should have signed him (in November, he made noises that it would take $14 mil to sign him), but the bottom line is the BOTTOM LINE!  Just win baby… and he didn’t.  Not enough!

The Dodgers are much better off with Capuano and Harang for a little more than what Hiroki is getting.

Who wants to bet who wins the most games?

Hiroki,

I’ll always remember you as a Dodger.  Thanks for the memories, but it was time to move on.

UPDATE:  Dodgers Avoid arbitration with Andre Ethier and signed him for about $11 mil plus bonuses.  Very interesting!

17 Responses to “Hiroki Kuroda Was Not the Dodger Savior”

1. DodgerDude says:

I totally agree with that. Kuroda was a nice pitcher but for some reason, he didn’t make us better. I am down with Capuano and Harang too, Dude.

2. Anonymous says:

The numbers cannot always capture the essence of a player. Tim Tebow, for example – horrible numbers, but a winner. Not counting the last game of course.

;)

3. Bluenose Dodger says:

I don’t thin Kuroda was expected to be a be a saviour, just a good pitcher, which he was.

His ERA for the 4 years was actually 3.45 and his WHIP was 1.18. So we take on Harang, 95-94 in his career, ERA of 4.24 and WHIP of 1.34 and Capuano, 44-48 in his career, ERA of 4.39 and WHIP of 1.35.

Neither are spring chickens, both turning 34 this season with two year contracts, inflated no less, and backloaded to their 35th year.

I would take Kuroda for one year and a kid over Harang and Capuano for two years, standing in the way of Eovaldi, Webster, Lee, etc.

Kuroda will win more games than either of them. Pitching with a better offense gives him an advantage. I fully expect either Capuano, most likely, or Harang will go on the DL.

• Mark_Timmons says:

Would you have taken Kuroda for $14 mil a month ago? Hiroki wanted a two year deal and if Ned had waited he might have missed out on Capuano and Harang. Capuano is in his 2nd full year since surgery (he missed 2-1/2 years), so I think he is going to be a real nice addition to the Dodgers. I look for him to repeat his 2005 season when he went 18-12 with a 3.99 ERA in Milwaukee.

He is my darkhorse to be a huge addition to the Dodgers. Harang has lots of innings, so he could be an injury risk, but I also see Kuroda as one. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. You can never have too many starters. We have two youngesters at the ready in Eovaldi and Webster and Rubby will hopefully be back in July or August.

I like this team\’s pitching!

• RogerCraig says:

That’s a tough call. If Kuroda was seeking $14 mil a year, then Ned may have felt he had to make another move. I can see that. I think Hiroki’s agent overestimated his valve, as I had heard he was seeking a 2-year deal at 12-14 million per year. If Ned could have signed him to a one-year/10-million deal, I think he would have, but like you said before, it was matter of timing.

New Update above on Ethier

5. Jae says:

I would rather have Kuroda than Capuano and Harang and Hariston and Ellis and Kennedy and Rivera and Treanor.

Give me Hiroki and the Prince.

6. Viva_El_Che says:

same here n if we had a better gm it would of happend

7. RogerCraig says:

With the team is bankruptcy, I doubt that MLB would have allowed a long-term big dollar deal with Fielder.

8. Viva_El_Che says:

so wat does ethier signin meen?, i guess your right but he spent alot of $ this offseason, he couldv backloaded the deal too like all the other ones.

9. Wally says:

Once again, “Well Said” Mark.

Kuroda was not really all that wonderful when you really look at the numbers over the last 4 years. Decent for $5-6M/year, but not at $10M+/year.

Same with Ethier. Extremely overrated and paid.

• Wally says:

I just checked out Loney and Ethiers career numbers. They are basically the same. Loney has produced an RBI every 6.55 AB and Ethier is at 6.65. So Loney is better by an eyelash. Also, Loney has produced a run every 3.92 AB and Ethier is at a run every 4.06 AB. Again, Loney is slightly better. And Ethier is being paid $5M/year more because he has hit 42 more HR over a 6 year period. Doesn’t add up in my book. Everyone thinks Ethier is a super stud and he is basically another Loney. And Loney is 2 years younger. Go figure. Ethier is very overrated and overpaid. He should be making $7M/year.

if the choice was Kuroda and Eovaldi, making $10-11 mil next year, or Harang and Capuano, making $10mil next year, I’d take he former.

When guys have been average their whole careers with ERA’s consistently in the 4′s, they will continue to be average. I’d take the risk with the “old” Kuroda, who had ERA’s in the 3′s every single year and lost many games due to a completely pathetic offense, and the kid Eovaldi who would probably put up better numbers over the course of a year than either Capuano or Harang himself.

I’m not excited about Kershaw, a yo-yo Billingsly, and 3 Ted Lilly’s, with the real Ted Lilly being the best of the bunch.

11. Dodgfan says:

Harang and Capuano vs. Kuroda is not the real concern. I think both of those guys are serviceable back end starters. The real problem lies in who is going to take on Hiroki’s role. Billingsley’s numbers have been on a downward trend and Lilly will get off his usual slow start. Although, we have nice depth, I am concern about our top rotation spots, of course, other than Kershaw. If Billingsley can’t properly match-up against other #2′s, the wheels could come off this wagon rather quickly. After all, Kuroda was our second best pitcher.

12. Anonymous says:

I’ve no problem not paying Kuroda over $10mm a year at this point (even though his WAR could show his worth being just about $10mm), as he is aging. But to categorize his contributions to the Dodgers as less than average is asinine. Every peripheral stat indicates that he is above average despite his record. It really sounds like Colletti has hijacked this post and wrote it himself.

Everyone will say “i told you so” when Kuroda’s numbers are worse this year, moving from NL to AL and from a pitchers park to new york’s launching pad, but this article is the kind of head-in-the-sand thinking about how to value players that pervades weak teams.