FedEx Express Delivery

His name is Tim Federowicz, and it is pronounced “fed-ur-OH-vitch“, but many just call him FedEx.

Federowicz is 24 years old (he will be 25 in August), and was Boston’s seventh selection in the 2008 draft.   In 2010, he was rated by Baseball America to be the 21st rated prospect in the Boston Red Sox system.  In 2011, at Double-A Portland in the Red Sox system, Federowicz hit .277 with eight home runs and 52 RBIs in 90 games.   He also threw out 37% of would be base runners, AND HIS MINOR LEAGUE AVERAGE IS 33%, HOWEVER HE ONLY THREW OUT 22% OF THE RUNNERS AT Albuquerque.  Blip on the radar?  Probably.

At AAA Albuquerque, his batting average climbed nearly fifty points to .325, but it was only a little over 100 AB’s – and he hit 6 Home Runs!   Another blip?  Yes, he’s not THAT good!

However, he is good – Tim has a prototypical catcher’s build, at 5-11 and 200 pounds, and he is very athleteic with quick feet and a fairly strong arm, with one of the the quickest releases I have seen in a while.

Pitchers seem to like Tim’s ability to call a game, and (here it comes) he’s a great guy, a good clubhouse guy.  He’s blue collar and is a hard-worker.

The stats guys don’t think he’s sexy enough and he’s often not in anyone’s Top 20 Dodger prospects.  He’s in my Top 10, and in fact, I will not be surprised if he is the starting catcher for the Dodgers next season.  There are two reasons for this:

1. FedEx is the real deal, and I think he can be a solid major league starting catcher; and
  2. I love A.J. Ellis, but he’s not the defensive catcher many think he is – I see him as a solid backup guy who can do well in stretches but will flounder if he has to play every day.  That’s just my opinion.

Of course, Ned Colletti has spoke glowingly about FedEx (of course he has-he has to), but I will say that he’s the best Dodger Rookie Catcher I’ve seen since one Russell Martin jumped from Jacksonville to LA in 2006.

If there is one area of his game that FedEx needs to improve, it is his ability to take a walk.  His walk rate is improving and he is a smart kid, so I think he will develop more in that area as time passes.  He may not break with the team out of spring training, but look for him in LA THIS YEAR!

12 Responses to “FedEx Express Delivery”

1. Leroy says:

Good thing Matt Treanor has that second year club option – Because that totally makes sense.

2. Jae says:

I have not see Fed-Ex. Has anyone else seen him?

3. RogerCraig says:

I have seen Tim a few times and I have to say that you may be right. I will say this about you Mark – you are not afraid to step out there. The statistics guys just say what the numbers are and do not make predictions. It is safer for them that way. No guts, no glory. I like what you do. That is why I read this blog everyday. I do not agree with all of it, but it is interesting.

4. Steve_Sax says:

Fedex cannot carry the jock of Ellis. Ellis will be a stud! Quit dissing my boy.

5. DodgerDude says:

I agree – I think FedEx should get a shot. I have a buddy who lives near Portland and saw him a lot. He says he will be an All-Star. I do not know about that, but he might be pretty good.

The Dodger catching is really up for debate / grabs / unsure / not prepared / a real question mark / I could go on here . . .

There is not a real major league catcher here.

A.J. Ellis is a proven minor leaguer, with a few cups of coffee in the majors. Mark and I have followed this guy since Vero days at Spring Training, when the Dodgers used to bring him in, in the 8th inning to finish out at 1st base. Ellis is now 30 years old with a total of 244 plate appearances. I guess we are talking about a really really late bloomer if he were to make it as the starter, and stay there.

Matt Treanor is 35 years old with 1360 plate appearances in the majors. He is just a back up catcher at this point, and the point is, he is in the retiring range now.

That leaves Tim Federowcz left. 24 years old with 16 plate appearances. With a total of 2 singles. Tim was in the Boston minor league system since 2008 with 1533 plate appearances. Minor league average was .278 with 33 HR and 203 RBIs.

He must be a “middle” bloomer. But he still needs some major league experience. Not many guys come into the majors at 24 as a catcher, and start hitting like crazy. I hope for the best for him.

Bottom line — the Dodgers do not have the catching situation covered with a positive plan. Instead: A) a AAA player in the majors WHO might be okay, B) a very seasoned major league older catcher (with a knock out looking wife), C) a 24 year old very unproven rookie.

My concern, the Dodger pitching staff deserves a solid receiver, and the team needs a received who can hit a bit.

7. KungFuPanda says:

Give it up – you know the Dodgers suck and the Giants rule.

Ha Ha!

Panda (Giant) – you just reminded us that the reason the Oakland A’s can move to San Jose — is because most of the Giant San Jose players in 2012 will be playing in S.F. because of such a weak roster there.

The A’s thank you.

If we could just get a good defensive catcher, the offense would be a plus.

Hey Panda, what are you guys gonna do for offense in 2012? I hear Bonds is still available…………………

10. Bball says:

It is pretty sad that the fat panda is there best hitter giants suck balls