I would advise that you not discount Magic Johnson’s role as a possible owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Magic is a MountainMover who has seen the invisible and did the impossible. Start with winning the NCAA Championship against the BirdMan. Start with beating AIDS. Start with becoming a successful businessman. Start with being an LA icon. Any single feat would be enough, but add all of that up and you have a contender.
There are so many groups with their hats in the ring, that no one can predict who will be the next Dodger owner, but you do need to understand that Frank McCourt will likely pick the next owner. Does that make you all warm and fuzzy? Mark Cuban is in it, so is Dennis Gilbert with the figurehead of Larry King along for the ride, as are Peter O’Malley and Steve Garvey with Orel Hershiser. There are probably at least 20 other potential suitors as well.
Magic Johnson presents a compelling look:
- He’s a successful businessman, so he is not a micro-manager – he knows the value of putting quality managers in place.
- He’s a winner – that is a mind-set that can’t be duplicated.
- He’s a minority – he has empathy for people.
- He’s a baseball fan – that’s a big one.
- He’s got financial support – nothing more important.
- He’s loved in LA – end of story.
He’s a force to be reckoned with, but on the other hand, he’s been known to seek the limelight. Is he for real? That’s the question…